Home
NCAA Football 14 News Post

EA Sports recently sat down with three NCAA Football 14 developers (Larry Richart, Michael Scantlebury and Clint Oldenburg) to get their insights on the improved option game in NCAA Football 14.

Quote:
Quarterback decision-making has improved tremendously in terms of their reads and when to give up the ball. We trained the CPU to pitch at better times and situations, so that their plays were more effective. We wanted to get CPU plays outside and around the corner more, so players will try and get up field quicker this year. Players will recognize where defenders are, and cut at more appropriate times. It’s pretty deadly now, and the computer is more confident in the way they call the read option.

In previous years, the defensive player assigned to the pitch man would just run to the player that was diving in the option. But when we watched film, we noticed that the player would follow the pitch man more often. Without that improvement, it was tough to truly replicate the option game. The spread option is truly dynamic in real life and now, we think our game finally has that.

Game: NCAA Football 14Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 54 - View All
NCAA Football 14 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 harlemkiid149 @ 07/03/13 06:58 PM
The problem with the read option that EA has yet to fix is defensive placement when the d-end bites on the play. What I mean by that is on Madden/NCAA 13 when running the read option you would see Qb's break off 30yard runs when the d-end followed the tailback on read option plays. The problem is not all D-ends bite as hard as EA portrays them,particularly in college the elite teams teach their d-ends not to bite extremely hard on read option plays. What you'll see now is d-ends instead of running all the way to the tailback they will slide over giving the illusion that they're staying home on the Qb but they're actually trying to shorten the gap on the tailback assuming the Qb hands it off and it's up to the QB to see the d-end has slide over too far and the best read is to keep it. I have two examples here,both are inverted veer read option plays and you'll see that the d-ends didn't bite so hard but rather got caught "drifting" and the Qb read their "eyes" not necessarily where they were lined up on the read.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtIU1zv2InU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DeSV7Y-14js

# 2 goillini03 @ 07/03/13 09:45 PM
I just hope by, "We trained the CPU to pitch at better times and situations, so that their plays were more effective," it does not mean that we will see the CPU QB heaving pitches behind them while falling down. Always busting big plays when no QB could complete those type of pitches. This always irked me in the past.

# 3 Tonestarxx @ 07/03/13 10:42 PM
the new improvements will make running the ball fun again,

# 4 Roland44 @ 07/03/13 10:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonestarxx
the new improvements will make running the ball fun again,
I hope so... can't wait for it...

# 5 tigerfan2 @ 07/03/13 11:26 PM
A lot of people in my dynasty felt that the read option was too powerful last year. Does anyone know if this is still the case?

# 6 Gosens6 @ 07/04/13 12:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan2
A lot of people in my dynasty felt that the read option was too powerful last year. Does anyone know if this is still the case?
Oh man, you guys are in for a treat this year if you thought last year was too powerful..

# 7 tigerfan2 @ 07/04/13 01:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gosens6
Oh man, you guys are in for a treat this year if you thought last year was too powerful..
Yeah, that's kind of what I thought. I personally didn't have a problem with it, but some people complained. They typically ran a pro style attack though and thought everybody should have numbers like they did.

# 8 CHIEFxxROCKEM @ 07/04/13 06:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by slick589
The main problem I see the the demo is defenders standing around waiting to get blocked and not being able to disengage when blocked.

In real life when preparing to face a spread option team the best way to go about it is to assign defenders to different players

Ex. Against a shot gun speed option the DE is to crack the QB every time whether he has pitched the ball or not. The OLB and play side safety are to do the same to the pitch man.

Idk if its bc they want to show off the new blocking or running of the option but the defense in the demo is no where near aggressive enough to stop the option.
This. Sucks that its no block shedding slider to help with this.

# 9 TarHeelPhenom @ 07/04/13 11:27 AM
That will be one of the items up for business with the editor...to raise shed block for defenders across the board.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.