Home
NHL 14 News Post

To celebrate the 20th anniversary, NHL 14 will include an NHL 94 Anniversary Mode.

Built using the NHL 14 game engine, NHL 94 Anniversary Mode uses classic button controls to deliver big goals, bigger hits and spectacular speed, taking fun to a whole new level. The mode also offers nods to its hockey video gaming roots through a retro presentation style including blue ice, classic star-shaped player indicators, organ music and a few more surprises.

Recognized as one of the most popular games of its era and the title that put the NHL videogame franchise on the map, NHL 94 Anniversary Mode gives another generation of players a new way to play old school hockey.

Read more about the the NHL 94 Anniversary Mode, in the latest Gameplay Developer Diary Blog.

NHL 14 will be available for the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 on September 10th in North America and September 13th worldwide.

Other sites have chimed in on the news as well.
  • Modernized version of ‘NHL 94′ to appear in upcoming 'NHL 14' video game (PuckDaddy)

Quote:
    You will be able to pull off one-touch dekes with the left trigger, the new fighting engine will be used, some of the legends included: Wayne Gretzky, Mario Lemieux and Jeremy Roenick.
  • NHL 14 features offline 'NHL 94 Anniversary mode' (Joystiq)

Quote:
    The single-game mode, which will only be available for offline play Ramjagsingh says, is built to be as "over-the-top" as the classic game. Helmets pop off players after bone-crunching hits, glass regularly breaks, and goalies can be hit. "After goals and penalties, you're going to see some interesting some retro nods to NHL 94 as well.

NHL 14 screenshot gallery - Click to view NHL 14 screenshot gallery - Click to view
Game: NHL 14Reader Score: 7/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 6 - View All
NHL 14 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 Guapo516 @ 07/11/13 09:27 AM
Very cool!

# 2 bigwill33 @ 07/11/13 09:36 AM
So glad they wasted their time developing this. Especially since the last 2 versions or more have been complete trash and need major work. I still have nhl 94, if I cared to play that I'd plug in my genesis and do it.

# 3 cgietl95 @ 07/11/13 10:03 AM
If this doesn't have the cheap ways to score goals it just won't be the same, also Gretzky better be in this so we can make him bleed

# 4 Steve_OS @ 07/11/13 10:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgietl95
If this doesn't have the cheap ways to score goals it just won't be the same, also Gretzky better be in this so we can make him bleed
According to Puck Daddy (in the OP), Gretzky is in. Can't make his head bleed tho, lol.

# 5 murph17 @ 07/11/13 10:09 AM
no online H2H. lame. i knew they'd screw this up.

# 6 adayinthelife @ 07/11/13 10:33 AM
Oh boy.....

# 7 ddhex27 @ 07/11/13 10:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by adayinthelife
Oh boy.....
Yeah, no kidding. Just make an NHL Hitz and be done with this nonsense.

# 8 Fiddy @ 07/11/13 10:48 AM
100% disappointed..

here is what i posted to them on their fb wall. ha!

"Ok, buds. This was a no screw up situation and yet you guys screwed it up.

Oh boy, an NHL 94 mode in NHL 14. Ok what? Um, well, we can already turn off all the rules, boost checking, use NHL 94 controls. Now you just made it easier for us to do so by making it a new mode? Jesus.

You guys couldn't give the hockey gaming nerds what they wanted? An updated NHL 94 via XBLA? Graphic updated, cleaned up old school graphics, rosters from the 13/14 season, versus games online (ranked and unranked). Could then have one roster updated after the trade deadline, even then update this next year with rosters via paid DLC.

All ya had to do was the above, yet we get a new mode in NHL 14 called NHL 94.. Jesus. H. Cripes!

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr..

Signed,
Disappointed Hockey Gamer"

if they replaced NHL 3 vs 3 with NHL 94 old school, with new rosters, and a basic online head to head mode it would be hockey gaming bliss.

# 9 wallofhate @ 07/11/13 10:57 AM
This is cool. Can knock nostalgia

# 10 MizzouRah @ 07/11/13 11:28 AM
Just my opinion... but something I might play one time just to see it and never go back to it again.

We've been crying for real time celebrations, more presentation, different commentary, enhanced BeAGM mode, etc.. I don't really get this?

I think this gen has run its course.

# 11 TIm @ 07/11/13 11:43 AM
Yup.. Very Pissed off here.. Typical EA SPORTS FLUFF!! NHL 13 needed a bit of work to be great... So what do they do, Waste time on stuff like this!! MAKE THE FRIGGIN GAMEPLAY AND PRESENTATION WHERE IT NEEDS TO BE!!!! Then after you have the core down, Then and ONLY THEN you can add you little nonsense crap... I'm Officially done... I was going to hold off on getting rid of my Xbox because of NHL14... and THATS THE ONLY REASON... Now I have nothing keeping me from getting out of current gen consoles and I will have to think LOOOOOOOONG and hard on getting the next gen... I might be done all together.. Games are rushed, No development time... Common theme... Corporation fat cats at their best... Oh and it's any larger corportation now... Not just videogames

# 12 canucksss @ 07/11/13 12:24 PM
i bet you EA is trying to win those boys and teens who enjoyed 94 to purchase 14....specially those who stray away from EA because of their crappy effort after 08.

WILL THIS MAKE ME BUY 14????/ HELL NO!

Get your acts together EA and give us REALISTIC or at least CLOSE TO THE REAL NHL. IF NOT, better change EA HOCKEY and remove "NHL" in your title.It's embarrassing for the real NHL bearing their name to a product that is not exactly represent their game.

# 13 LingeringRegime @ 07/11/13 12:45 PM
I have a reason to buy the game now.

# 14 Fiddy @ 07/11/13 12:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah
Just my opinion... but something I might play one time just to see it and never go back to it again.

We've been crying for real time celebrations, more presentation, different commentary, enhanced BeAGM mode, etc.. I don't really get this?

I think this gen has run its course.
maybe this NHL Dev team has run its course as well? maybe time for a change? add a new guy or two, get some fresh ideas on gameplay, gm modes etc?

# 15 canucksss @ 07/11/13 12:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddy
maybe this NHL Dev team has run its course as well? maybe time for a change? add a new guy or two, get some fresh ideas on gameplay, gm modes etc?
Or FIRE out the guy...not just transfer to other other games. (i really wonder whats the meaning of "development" for EA???? because there's not much "development" in this franchise after 08)

# 16 Cardot @ 07/11/13 12:57 PM
Seems like they basically just added a new "Skin" for the game with adjusted settings for a more arcadish games and added in some retro sound effects. Doesn't seem like it was a ton of effort. No more effort than a typical mini-game would entail.

# 17 MizzouRah @ 07/11/13 03:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddy
You might be right. I'm not bashing the developers, I love NHL 13, I've played it to death, but I'm tired of goofy fluff like this when there is work to be done!

# 18 13whitebread @ 07/11/13 03:52 PM
The commentary for "me" personally and virtually no new presentation is two elements I wanted changed. But with the red wings moving to the east this may help me squeak through another year. I am very much hoping Gary and bill will be gone for NHL 15 if not that is when my boycott will start.j

# 19 murph17 @ 07/11/13 05:33 PM
some actual anniversary mode gameplay.

NHL 14 + blue ice + old sound effects - rules = NHL 94 anniversary mode

soooo...why can't we play online? grrrrr!

# 20 ManiacMatt1782 @ 07/11/13 09:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_OS
According to Puck Daddy (in the OP), Gretzky is in. Can't make his head bleed tho, lol.
That was NHLPA 93, which people confuse with NHL 94 NHL PA 93 had Injuries and blood which were removed in '94 Injuries didn't make a return till 97 or 98 I believe

« Previous123Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.