Home
NHL 14 News Post

To celebrate the 20th anniversary, NHL 14 will include an NHL 94 Anniversary Mode.

Built using the NHL 14 game engine, NHL 94 Anniversary Mode uses classic button controls to deliver big goals, bigger hits and spectacular speed, taking fun to a whole new level. The mode also offers nods to its hockey video gaming roots through a retro presentation style including blue ice, classic star-shaped player indicators, organ music and a few more surprises.

Recognized as one of the most popular games of its era and the title that put the NHL videogame franchise on the map, NHL 94 Anniversary Mode gives another generation of players a new way to play old school hockey.

Read more about the the NHL 94 Anniversary Mode, in the latest Gameplay Developer Diary Blog.

NHL 14 will be available for the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 on September 10th in North America and September 13th worldwide.

Other sites have chimed in on the news as well.
  • Modernized version of ‘NHL 94′ to appear in upcoming 'NHL 14' video game (PuckDaddy)

Quote:
    You will be able to pull off one-touch dekes with the left trigger, the new fighting engine will be used, some of the legends included: Wayne Gretzky, Mario Lemieux and Jeremy Roenick.
  • NHL 14 features offline 'NHL 94 Anniversary mode' (Joystiq)

Quote:
    The single-game mode, which will only be available for offline play Ramjagsingh says, is built to be as "over-the-top" as the classic game. Helmets pop off players after bone-crunching hits, glass regularly breaks, and goalies can be hit. "After goals and penalties, you're going to see some interesting some retro nods to NHL 94 as well.

NHL 14 screenshot gallery - Click to view NHL 14 screenshot gallery - Click to view
Game: NHL 14Reader Score: 7/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 6 - View All
NHL 14 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 Splitter77 @ 07/11/13 10:15 PM
will it have hilites of other games like the old nhl 94 had???

# 22 Cossin75 @ 07/12/13 05:07 AM
At least I was hoping for '94 roster.. Rights rights rights.. Forever and always!

# 23 ComaFaction @ 07/12/13 07:19 AM
At around :50 when the ANA player gets crushed, it looks like players can be hit multiple times by multiple players. Not sure if that was confirmed or not.

# 24 kmc336 @ 07/12/13 08:56 AM
Does this mean I can play as the Hartford Whalers?

# 25 Pezell04x @ 07/12/13 09:21 AM
While the idea is cool, the implementation sucks. It's basically NHL 14 with a different skin on it. If they wanted to blow us away, just give us a port of NHL 94. There's no doubt that it wouldn't be a lot of disk space and it probably wouldn't be hard to do.

Typical EA garbage.

# 26 murph17 @ 07/12/13 09:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmc336
Does this mean I can play as the Hartford Whalers?
You can already play as Carolina and rock the Whalers alternate jersey. I always use The Whale as my HUT jerseys.

# 27 bigwill33 @ 07/12/13 09:31 AM
Rammer and staff are always so quick to point out what big "fans" of hockey they are. I guess between them they weren't big enough fans to figure out what number Roenick wore with the Hawks.

# 28 Money99 @ 07/12/13 11:13 AM
I'm actually really excited for this mode.
Mainly because I know my two boys will love it. And my friends (who are even worse at games than I am), will be able to play.
Tournament time!

# 29 drog1602 @ 07/12/13 11:44 AM
Lets paint the ice blue and change some sliders and then present it as NHL94 mode on the box to sell more games.

EA Fail

# 30 FBeaule04 @ 07/12/13 01:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by drog1602
Lets paint the ice blue and change some sliders and then present it as NHL94 mode on the box to sell more games.

EA Fail
and had 7 legends to play the 94' mode! Damn, they already had that idea...Too bad!

# 31 sketchy1 @ 07/13/13 12:19 AM
I'm gonna make Gretzky's head bleed for super fan 99 over here.

# 32 sarlndr @ 07/13/13 10:48 PM
I haven't bought an NHL game in a couple years. I just might pick this up. Yes, the NHL '94 mode had something to do with it, lol. Old folks are suckers for nostalgia. Even though it's not really the NHL '94 I used to play.

# 33 Gangrel @ 07/14/13 10:39 AM
I don't get all the anger. who's to say they haven't made all these improvements that everyone's whining about and also added this mode as a bonus?

Everybody should just relax a little and see what other information comes over the summer. it looks like they've already improve the goalie somewhat. And skating.

I always love in video games when people always cry about spending time on one thing b/c means they obviously ignored everything else completely.......

Theres more than one programmer on every game......

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

# 34 ddhex27 @ 07/14/13 06:49 PM
Pinball boards hockey and drive the Zambo NHL 15

# 35 murph17 @ 07/15/13 10:18 AM
hands on with 94 Anniversary Mode at the NHL Store in NYC on Wed. if it wasn't going to be so sweltering hot this week, i might have made my way over there....

http://www.easports.com/nhl/news-upd...-new-york-city

What: NHL 94 Anniversary Mode Takes over New York

When: July 17th, 2013, 4:00-7:30pm Eastern Time

Where:

NHL Powered by Reebok Store
1185 Avenue of the Americas
New York, NY 10036
Phone: 212-221-6375

# 36 Fiddy @ 07/15/13 10:48 AM
just so frustrating.. how they handled this NHL 94 stuff. im sure there is a ton of legal crap behind the scenes and this was about the best they could do. but man, id rather have them not have this mode in NHL 14, iron out whatever the issues are behind the scenes and release NHL 94 with updated rosters, online play, etc as an XBLA/PSN download. this would be a nice change of pace and take over the 3 on 3 arcade game.

bah..

# 37 13whitebread @ 07/15/13 02:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gangrel
I don't get all the anger. who's to say they haven't made all these improvements that everyone's whining about and also added this mode as a bonus?

Everybody should just relax a little and see what other information comes over the summer. it looks like they've already improve the goalie somewhat. And skating.

I always love in video games when people always cry about spending time on one thing b/c means they obviously ignored everything else completely.......

Theres more than one programmer on every game......

It's not anger it's frustration and its not whining it's constructive critisim. How would they know what the fans want unless we say something.

# 38 Gangrel @ 07/15/13 04:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by derektown
It's not anger it's frustration and its not whining it's constructive critisim. How would they know what the fans want unless we say something.
Yes but there are already tons of other feedback threads. Jumping on every other thread and saying the same things isn't going to do anything.

And I don't think its constructive criticism when people are jumping to ill logical conclusions that by spending time on this then they are ignoring other portions of the game.

# 39 Moose24x @ 07/16/13 01:31 AM
Regardless of whether this mode is any good or not, I'm likely to play it a grand total of once, if that.

I'm not even mad that it's included (though I do think it's a giant waste of time). I just couldn't care less. It would be nice if they'd work on little nuances that the game is missing or do something like put the Bauer 4500 helmet back in the game instead of blue ice and old school celebrations. I mean, the reason gear is limited is a memory thing, right? So blue ice and stuff is more important than the helmet that Stamkos, Toews, Sharp, Seabrook, Malkin, Callahan, and literally dozens of other high profile players wear?

# 40 Fiddy @ 07/17/13 11:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalsanto0026
Yes it is anger and it is whining.

94 mode should be great fun.
to each their own..

with that said, whats fun about a new mode, thats not even really new?

you can play NHL 07, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, and 13 like the "new" NHL 94 mode. you can turn off all penalties and play just like they did in the video.

oh, but no blue ice or original NHL 94 playing on the jumbo tron.

oh, and offline only? huh?

no doubt people will have fun with it, but man....

just stinks, year after year, nothing that we have been talking about since 07 gets fixed or tweaked. nothing. yet them we have to hear about this new game mode.

very frustrating to say the least.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.