Home
NCAA Football 14 News Post

The NCAA has decided today, unilaterally it appears, to not renew their license with EA Sports for the NCAA Football video game beginning next year.

In the statement, the NCAA said, "The NCAA has made the decision not to enter a new contract for the license of its name and logo for the EA Sports NCAA Football video game. The current contract expires in June 2014, but our timing is based on the need to provide EA notice for future planning. As a result, the NCAA Football 2014 video game will be the last to include the NCAA’s name and logo. We are confident in our legal position regarding the use of our trademarks in video games. But given the current business climate and costs of litigation, we determined participating in this game is not in the best interests of the NCAA."

EA should still be able to work out individual school, conference, awards, etc. licenses from the CLC -- which should mean the series should be able to live on. At the end of the day, this is the NCAA taking it's name and logo off of the game, but nothing more it appears. So while the series can't be called "NCAA Football" anymore, perhaps with the ESPN license the series can be called "EA Sports College Gameday 15" next season.

The only way this ends the NCAA Football series altogether is if one of two further scenarios happen: 1)If EA Sports decides it is done with the series altogether, which is doubtful given it's a top seller in the US. 2)If the CLC won't play ball with EA Sports, and thus EA has to negotiate licenses individually from member institutions

It is possible EA Sports will not continue development of the game after this year because of either reason, or because of fears of financial fallout from the Ed O'Bannon lawsuit. However, there is no guarantee EA will face huge financial problems from the O'Bannon lawsuit, and in a sense -- the threat of the O'Bannon lawsuit ending the series is the same today as it was yesterday.

I EA wants to they can continue the game with purely cosmetic changes and greater creative freedom without the NCAA hovering above the game. And let's face it, the less the NCAA is involved in anything, the better it will be.

So in a sense, the only thing different today versus yesterday with regards to the NCAA Football series is that it is no longer the NCAA Football series going forward. Everything thing else remains the same.

UPDATE: Brett McMurphy of ESPN is reporting ESPN has been told EA Sports will still have a college football video game beyond 2014, next year's game will be called College Football 15.

UPDATE #2: According to ESPN's Sports Business reporter Darren Rovell the CLC, which handles school, bowl, awards, etc. licensing, says it plans to work with EA in the future despite the NCAA dropping out.

UPDATE #3: EA Sports Executive Vice President Andrew Wilson speaks. In a statement, Wilson said, "EA SPORTS will continue to develop and publish college football games, but we will no longer include the NCAA names and marks. Our relationship with the Collegiate Licensing Company is strong and we are already working on a new game for next generation consoles which will launch next year and feature the college teams, leagues and all the innovation fans expect from EA SPORTS.

We took big creative strides with this year's college game and you’ll see much more in the future. We love college football and look forward to making more games for our fans."

Game: NCAA Football 14Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 54 - View All
NCAA Football 14 Videos
Member Comments
# 41 TDenverFan @ 07/17/13 02:38 PM
I wonder what the cost of licensing each school individually vs the cost of the NCAA is? I could live with a few generic schools in a College Football game, provided the big names (AQs, Independents, Boise, Fresno, etc) were accurate.

# 42 wolverinemaniac @ 07/17/13 02:39 PM
If this pans out I reckon they are saving me some money, I can cancel my Next Gen preorder since NCAA was the only game I play on console. PC destroys console for all the rest.

# 43 Gotmadskillzson @ 07/17/13 02:39 PM
Keep in mind guys.......people will be losing their jobs as well. No college football game means EA don't need all those people on the NCAA dev team either. Sure some of the senior staff will get absorbed into Madden team, but most of them will just get the pink slip.

# 44 Scribe1980 @ 07/17/13 02:39 PM
College sports games are dead. No more talk about another company picking it up, please. It's over.

It is and always has been about business, money and CYA. The NCAA is in major CYA mode as a direct result of the O'Bannon lawsuit, and obviously fears, or is bracing for, a court loss.

A good lesson for younger OS members who grew up with releases every fall, assuming this was your God-given right. It is not, and never was. Lawyers rule the world.

# 45 Gronk4M13 @ 07/17/13 02:40 PM
What a shame, and just as I am getting into college football

# 46 Marino @ 07/17/13 02:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ
All we can hope for at this point is that NCAA 14 gets the patches it needs.
That's what I say. Have it go down like College Hoops 2k8. Patch the gameplay, make it great. (already is solid). Add as much to ultimate as you can before the plug is pulled.

# 47 The JareBear @ 07/17/13 02:41 PM
EA could still go the route of generic teams if they want to right?

# 48 BleedGreen710 @ 07/17/13 02:41 PM
Well at least they went out with a bang.. NCAA14 is the best version I have ever played. Sad day though, would have been exciting to see NCAA football on the next gen consoles that are coming out.. End of an Era my friends!

# 49 Td1984 @ 07/17/13 02:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaShark28_316
Wonder if this would happen if O'Bannon wasn't a BUST.
I doubt it. He probably is in dire need of money, which is why he's doing this in the first place. You notice nobody else prior to him complained at all.

# 50 BearClaw @ 07/17/13 02:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scribe1980
College sports games are dead. No more talk about another company picking it up, please. It's over.

It is and always has been about business, money and CYA. The NCAA is in major CYA mode as a direct result of the O'Bannon lawsuit, and obviously fears, or is bracing for, a court loss.

A good lesson for younger OS members who grew up with releases every fall, assuming this was your God-given right. It is not, and never was. Lawyers rule the world.
Hey, Gloomy Gus, take it down notch.

# 51 JoedicyMichael @ 07/17/13 02:42 PM
Farewell my brother!

Life goes on I guess.

# 52 KleShreen @ 07/17/13 02:42 PM
Such drama queens on here, haha.

Settle down. There will be a college football video game every year from now until the end of time. Money talks and schools/conferences will ALWAYS listen. The pageantry and lure of the NCAA Football franchise and attention will always bring schools/conferences to it for more exposure. If anything, I think it would open up the door for many small school colleges to get in the game if they are able to sign independent contracts with EA.

# 53 MrSerendipity @ 07/17/13 02:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scribe1980
What is this? And what does it have to do with anything?

# 54 TracerBullet @ 07/17/13 02:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by oulzac
Maybe this means the conferences will then pull in, and take up the licensing, splitting the proceeds to the schools and themselves. That would probably be better for them.

But on the flip side of that, EA or 2K wont want to do that. Can you imagine how much licensing will go up.
EA had to pay a ton just to get the fight songs these last few years. Don't see them (or 2K for that matter) dealing with schools individually. Especially the big schools that will want a tremendous amount.

# 55 greenegt @ 07/17/13 02:43 PM
Sad news. Yet another reason why the NCAA sucks.

# 56 Quint75 @ 07/17/13 02:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkjoey
I was going to post this ahah

It is too early to call, but I think something will get done to have a game next year with or without the NCAA logo
Don't think so. It's over, at least for a while.

# 57 TexanCam @ 07/17/13 02:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KleShreen
Such drama queens on here, haha.

Settle down. There will be a college football video game every year from now until the end of time. Money talks and schools/conferences will ALWAYS listen.
You also have to count in the fact that some of the smaller schools get their brand out this way too. It's good for a schools marketing. They will produce them as long as it doesn't cost too much for licensing.

# 58 fistofrage @ 07/17/13 02:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ
All we can hope for at this point is that NCAA 14 gets the patches it needs.
Can't imagine they will put any more resources into this than they have to. If they are not obligated to make a patch, no real financial sense in doing so if the series has met its demise.

# 59 BleedGreen710 @ 07/17/13 02:45 PM
Trying not to make this a big deal but man..

tears are coming to my eyes!

manly tears of course..

I remember growing up as a kid playing NCAA 2003.. and playing every version since.. this is truly the end of an era and I am sooo sad to see it end.

# 60 KleShreen @ 07/17/13 02:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanCam
You also have to count in the fact that some of the smaller schools get their brand out this way too. It's good for a schools marketing. They will produce them as long as it doesn't cost too much for licensing.
Exactly. You caught me before my edit! Haha. The big schools *may* not do it since they know their name is already "out" there, but on the other hand, they will almost be forced to do it by their alumni and fans, I think.

Smaller schools who were not included in the NCAA's licensing agreement can go to EA and say "we'll give you whatever you want to put our school on the game" now and NCAA can't do anything about it.

Post A Comment
This thread has been closed for new comments.