Home
NCAA Football 14 News Post

The NCAA has decided today, unilaterally it appears, to not renew their license with EA Sports for the NCAA Football video game beginning next year.

In the statement, the NCAA said, "The NCAA has made the decision not to enter a new contract for the license of its name and logo for the EA Sports NCAA Football video game. The current contract expires in June 2014, but our timing is based on the need to provide EA notice for future planning. As a result, the NCAA Football 2014 video game will be the last to include the NCAA’s name and logo. We are confident in our legal position regarding the use of our trademarks in video games. But given the current business climate and costs of litigation, we determined participating in this game is not in the best interests of the NCAA."

EA should still be able to work out individual school, conference, awards, etc. licenses from the CLC -- which should mean the series should be able to live on. At the end of the day, this is the NCAA taking it's name and logo off of the game, but nothing more it appears. So while the series can't be called "NCAA Football" anymore, perhaps with the ESPN license the series can be called "EA Sports College Gameday 15" next season.

The only way this ends the NCAA Football series altogether is if one of two further scenarios happen: 1)If EA Sports decides it is done with the series altogether, which is doubtful given it's a top seller in the US. 2)If the CLC won't play ball with EA Sports, and thus EA has to negotiate licenses individually from member institutions

It is possible EA Sports will not continue development of the game after this year because of either reason, or because of fears of financial fallout from the Ed O'Bannon lawsuit. However, there is no guarantee EA will face huge financial problems from the O'Bannon lawsuit, and in a sense -- the threat of the O'Bannon lawsuit ending the series is the same today as it was yesterday.

I EA wants to they can continue the game with purely cosmetic changes and greater creative freedom without the NCAA hovering above the game. And let's face it, the less the NCAA is involved in anything, the better it will be.

So in a sense, the only thing different today versus yesterday with regards to the NCAA Football series is that it is no longer the NCAA Football series going forward. Everything thing else remains the same.

UPDATE: Brett McMurphy of ESPN is reporting ESPN has been told EA Sports will still have a college football video game beyond 2014, next year's game will be called College Football 15.

UPDATE #2: According to ESPN's Sports Business reporter Darren Rovell the CLC, which handles school, bowl, awards, etc. licensing, says it plans to work with EA in the future despite the NCAA dropping out.

UPDATE #3: EA Sports Executive Vice President Andrew Wilson speaks. In a statement, Wilson said, "EA SPORTS will continue to develop and publish college football games, but we will no longer include the NCAA names and marks. Our relationship with the Collegiate Licensing Company is strong and we are already working on a new game for next generation consoles which will launch next year and feature the college teams, leagues and all the innovation fans expect from EA SPORTS.

We took big creative strides with this year's college game and you’ll see much more in the future. We love college football and look forward to making more games for our fans."

Game: NCAA Football 14Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 54 - View All
NCAA Football 14 Videos
Member Comments
# 121 Watson @ 07/17/13 03:02 PM

In all seriousness, I feel like I was punched in the gut. **** the NCAA.

# 122 TCFClemson @ 07/17/13 03:02 PM
This was my first ever NCAA game

# 123 aholbert32 @ 07/17/13 03:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianDonP
Good catch. So EA already deals with the schools and conferences individually.

So if I'm reading this correctly, all this means is instead of NCAA 15, maybe we'll get ESPN College Football 2015. And since the playoffs are called the "College Football Playoffs" and not "NCAA Football Playoffs", then not having NCAA in the game isn't really a big deal.

It seems it would only be a big deal if their decision to not renew convinces other conferences and teams to not renew.
Correct.

The playoffs actually would be called the BCS playoffs because the BCS is a separate entity from the NCAA. The conferences are not being sued in the O'bannon suit so they arent affected right now. If anything the removal of the NCAA opens more money for the conferences and BCS.

# 124 DELUS1ONAL @ 07/17/13 03:03 PM
Does anyone think that NCAA 14 will sell like hotcakes now that it could and probably will be the last one?

# 125 BleedGreen710 @ 07/17/13 03:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32
One other note:

2K IS NOT BUYING THE DAMN LICENSE!!!!!!

The end of the license has nothing to do with a license fee. It has to do with the O'bannon case and the fact that O'bannon is using video games as a justification for pursuing his claim. The NCAA is not going to sell its license to another company.
Yes that's true.. but that doesn't mean the decision wont spark 2k to make their own college football game with generic teams (or teams users create, like on APF 2k8). Now is the perfect time to strike, while EA is down.

# 126 coogrfan @ 07/17/13 03:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by patsfan1993
Can't they just keep the series going as a generic team named game, upgrade teambuilder and let all 126 teams be replaced by teambuilder teams?
Sure. Why would they want to?

# 127 Earl1963 @ 07/17/13 03:03 PM
The NCAA has a bunch of stiffs running the show. 1st no celebration, now this? They keep it up it can soon blow up in their faces. Nothing good will come from this power tripp'n.

# 128 aholbert32 @ 07/17/13 03:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ
This is true, but I can see schools increasing the licensing fee, thus making it harder for EA or anyone else to get all of the schools in the game.
Let them increase the fee. EA is saving money because its not paying the NCAA. More money for the conferences.

# 129 Brandwin @ 07/17/13 03:03 PM
So with what Aaron posted - We could see a college football game from EA next year, it just wouldn't have the NCAA name etc.. attached to it?

# 130 ultralow36 @ 07/17/13 03:04 PM
so its "Nick Saben" football 16

# 131 Zac @ 07/17/13 03:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracerBullet
Also puts the nail in the coffin for a possible College Hoops/NCAA Basketball game.
Actually, this is great news for a possible return for college hoops.

With NCAA out of the picture, and them having the ability to just license conferences or schools, they could go the Konami route. Start back up, and only go with a few of the big guys at first. And as the game sells, they have more money to get other licenses, they slowly add them in each year.

They could start back up with just three or four real life conferences and they schools, and then add one or two each year after.

Same could be said with college football.

I can dream man, I can dream.

# 132 Dogslax41 @ 07/17/13 03:04 PM
Quote:
Correct.

The playoffs actually would be called the BCS playoffs because the BCS is a separate entity from the NCAA. The conferences are not being sued in the O'bannon suit so they arent affected right now. If anything the removal of the NCAA opens more money for the conferences and BCS.
The only worry is that it becomes cost prohibitive for a video game developer with the number of hands that will probably be extended looking for a cut.

# 133 Kevin26385 @ 07/17/13 03:05 PM
Just want to remind everyone that while it sucks we might never get a college football game again...Life moves on. Keep the development team and their families who could possible lose their jobs in your thoughts!

# 134 aholbert32 @ 07/17/13 03:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedGreen710
Yes that's true.. but that doesn't mean the decision wont spark 2k to make their own college football game with generic teams (or teams users create, like on APF 2k8). Now is the perfect time to strike, while EA is down.
A couple of problems with that: One APF2k8 was a sales failure so why would 2k want to release another generic football game. Two, EA can still do deals with the conferences which own 99% of the IP (uniforms, logos, stadiums) that people care about.

# 135 dickey1331 @ 07/17/13 03:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmik58
I'm interested/concerned to see how this impacts EA's committment to patching issues and customer service for NCAA 14.
We saw how well it went for the last NCAA basketball game.

# 136 cletus42o @ 07/17/13 03:06 PM
Still curious on my question about if EA can release DLC for 14 past the date the license ends.

EA should release updates now that add in celebration and other things. What will the NCAA do? Double cancel the contract?

# 137 Marino @ 07/17/13 03:06 PM
Quote:
I'll post this one more time because I think most people missed it. This is from the press release:

Member colleges and universities license their own trademarks and other intellectual property for the video game. They will have to independently decide whether to continue those business arrangements in the future.

EA will have to work with the individual conferences like they always have to get rights to logos, stadiums and uniforms. Same with the BCS. This just affects the ability to use the NCAA mark.
I remember reading in an article that the Alabama AD I believe works with licensing, where most of the schools are licensed under one brand. Perhaps work a deal with that licensing brand to get a good number of teams, then work with the remaining parties? I don't know. I do not think the series is dead, after reading Owen Good's tweets, this seems to be more of a formality.

# 138 jeremym480 @ 07/17/13 03:07 PM
Maybe the sliver lining in this will be that if EA does decide to make a "College Football Game" they will have more freedom. No long will the NCAA be around to take away all the juicy stuff.

Bring back celebrations/suspensions and let me give all of my players tattoos too while I'm at it!!!!

# 139 The_Wise_One @ 07/17/13 03:07 PM
This about sums up my reaction.....

Can't believe it. Just like that it's over. And of course they go down after a great game. This sucks big time.

# 140 BrandH @ 07/17/13 03:07 PM
This, "the sky is falling" reaction is awesome. Just sit back for a sec and think it through people, lol.

1) The Middle man (NCAA) is gone - more money for schools

2) The NCAA can't stop EA from putting out a game before the contract is over

Post A Comment
This thread has been closed for new comments.