Home
NBA 2K14 News Post

2K Sports has revealed a new blocking system in NBA 2K14, which will also include the ability to block dunks.

Game: NBA 2K14Reader Score: 6.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS3 / PS4 / Wii U / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 98 - View All
NBA 2K14 Videos
Member Comments
# 201 Bexthelegend @ 08/12/13 02:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Czar
What. Sound reason and understanding. THank goodness for the old heads around here. LOL SHEESH
I see both sides though.

I do love that they're implementing a new block system, because it's way overdue. Defense is the foundation for which all the major sports games, have to be built upon. However, at the same time this is 2013, and we're talking about implementing proper blocks in a basketball game. Back in the days of 2k5 and Live 05, I was thinking once the technology advanced to this point, we wouldn't be speaking about the basics of basketball, like Blocks and rebounding, because those things would already be refined by this point. I predicted that by this point we'd simply be seeing improvements in the details, to make the games play closer to true sim basketball.

# 202 Sundown @ 08/12/13 07:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanFitzmagic
Barnes definitely does not deserve Posterizer. Posterizers are players who dunk on people REGULARLY. He didn't even dunk period once a game.

Like I said, there's maybe three or four true Posterizers in the NBA today, unless I forgot someone. It's not gonna (or it shouldn't) be given out like free candy.

Dude, stop. Barnes did not posterize people "all the time" in 2013.
Barnes had about 5-6 dunk-ons throughout the season in 20-25 minutes per game as a 4th option. How many dunk-ons do other "Posterizers" have? Serious question. I actually don't know, but my impression is that it doesn't happen that often for them either.

I don't think how often one dunks per game has much to do with how often one posterizes. And Barnes reputation and posterizations definitely have the sig skill's effect on the crowd and team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanFitzmagic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundown
What you're actually proposing is for Posterizers and Erasers to be scissors and everyone else be paper.
That doesn't make sense, because most other sig skills have nothing to do with Posterizer or Eraser.
As far as the dunks-blocks dynamic is concerned, your proposal has:

Posterizer = Sissors on offense
Eraser = Sissors on defense

Everyone else without one or the other skill = paper.

You haven't proposed a Rock>Sissors>Paper>Rock circular dynamic.

You've proposed a Posterizer=Eraser dynamic (because you give some and take some), while Posterizer>>>Rest of The League, since Posterizer ALWAYS wins against everyone else, zero exceptions, even if it's a much smaller player vs. a capable defensive big. That's why most everyone dislikes the idea.

Quote:
There IS an "Attempt Dunk" tendency. I gave Durant like a 90, whereas I gave LeBron around 75 I think.
Not the same as a dunk-on tendency, which I would like actually.

# 203 Boilerbuzz @ 08/13/13 05:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bexthelegend
I see both sides though.

I do love that they're implementing a new block system, because it's way overdue. Defense is the foundation for which all the major sports games, have to be built upon. However, at the same time this is 2013, and we're talking about implementing proper blocks in a basketball game. Back in the days of 2k5 and Live 05, I was thinking once the technology advanced to this point, we wouldn't be speaking about the basics of basketball, like Blocks and rebounding, because those things would already be refined by this point. I predicted that by this point we'd simply be seeing improvements in the details, to make the games play closer to true sim basketball.
Well, you were wrong. It unrealistic to think that even on the gen 8 consoles, developers will be able to model real world dynamics flawlessly. As spank said, this was a fix to a system that got broken. That happens when things change is massively complex systems.

# 204 Da_Czar @ 08/13/13 11:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bexthelegend
I see both sides though.

In game development changes necessitates more change. What I mean by that is even if a dev team has a nice working blocking system( or any system). It is never over. Changes to the shot system or contact system or any other system in the game will require changes in the once working block system.

If you want progress in gaming some things will get better and some things will get worse it is simply the nature of the beast.

As long as the underlying tech continues to change and evolve, developers have to continue to solve fundamental issues with games.

Soccer games are still perfecting kicking, Football games are still perfecting throwing and tackling, therefore it is clear that basketball is not exempt.

2K12 they tried something new, it didn't work and fans didn't like it (live ball)

2k13 they remove that part of the system and address users issues with random body parts blocking shots...Go a little too far. IMO i think it was more a bug than a design decision and now for whatever reason Dunks can't be blocked.

2K14 they rewrite the block system which in ea speak would be a new "engine"

Fan response. oh they just took it out to sell it back to us as a new feature = OVERSIMPLIFICATION.

while that may be true with other areas of the game. Looking at how we arrived at 2k14's block system that does not appear to be the case.

This is the process that 3-4 years ago everyone wanted 2k to take. Not just sit back and add animations... remember ? We want them to not take the safe route and continue to develop their tech to push the genre forward.

Then we have 3 years and 3 efforts to fix or enhance this area of the game.

There is virtually no part of the development of these games that happens in a vacuum. Changes in one area can have unintended consequences in other areas.

Even if those were previously already working well. This then requires that area to be re-written or adjusted which of course is an opportunity to introduce bugs or other previously unseen issues.

This IMO is the reason that in all sports games we continue and will continue to see incremental improvements to fundamental parts of the game as the dev's continue to add depth and nuance to each area of the game.

Maybe next gen this all changes. But up to now I think it's clear this has been the pattern for all developers of video games sports titles.

# 205 Boilerbuzz @ 08/13/13 11:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Czar
In game development changes necessitates more change. What I mean by that is even if a dev team has a nice working blocking system( or any system). It is never over. Changes to the shot system or contact system or any other system in the game will require changes in the once working block system.

If you want progress in gaming some things will get better and some things will get worse it is simply the nature of the beast.

As long as the underlying tech continues to change and evolve, developers have to continue to solve fundamental issues with games.

Soccer games are still perfecting kicking, Football games are still perfecting throwing and tackling, therefore it is clear that basketball is not exempt.

2K12 they tried something new, it didn't work and fans didn't like it (live ball)

2k13 they remove that part of the system and address users issues with random body parts blocking shots...Go a little too far. IMO i think it was more a bug than a design decision and now for whatever reason Dunks can't be blocked.

2K14 they rewrite the block system which in ea speak would be a new "engine"

Fan response. oh they just took it out to sell it back to us as a new feature = OVERSIMPLIFICATION.

while that may be true with other areas of the game. Looking at how we arrived at 2k14's block system that does not appear to be the case.

This is the process that 3-4 years ago everyone wanted 2k to take. Not just sit back and add animations... remember ? We want them to not take the safe route and continue to develop their tech to push the genre forward.

Then we have 3 years and 3 efforts to fix or enhance this area of the game.

There is virtually no part of the development of these games that happens in a vacuum. Changes in one area can have unintended consequences in other areas.

Even if those were previously already working well. This then requires that area to be re-written or adjusted which of course is an opportunity to introduce bugs or other previously unseen issues.

This IMO is the reason that in all sports games we continue and will continue to see incremental improvements to fundamental parts of the game as the dev's continue to add depth and nuance to each area of the game.

Maybe next gen this all changes. But up to now I think it's clear this has been the pattern for all developers of video games sports titles.
:applaud: (once I figure out how to add this, I'll edit)

Everyone really needs to read this twice. Talk about perspective. Great post, Czar!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

# 206 ManiacMatt1782 @ 08/14/13 03:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by titans321
Can't believe it took them this long to incorporate blocked dunks. Glad they added them though. Blacktop should be more fun now.
you could block dunks in 12. it was mysteriously taken out of 13 for some reason

# 207 Boilerbuzz @ 08/15/13 01:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManiacMatt1782
you could block dunks in 12. it was mysteriously taken out of 13 for some reason
They call them bugs or mistakes. Common phenomena even for developers.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.