Home
NBA 2K14 News Post

With 2K Sports announcing a new blocking system in NBA 2K14 earlier today, the 2K Team-Up guys were given the green light to give more details on it, based off of what they played at the 2K Team-Up event they attended last Friday.

Obviously, the videos show NBA 2K13 gameplay, but each person gives their own unique take on the blocking system.

Here is a video from QJBeat.

Here is a video from @ShakeDown2012.

Here is a video from @Shake4ndBake.

Here is a video from @YMDgento.

Here is a video from @SubTheGamer.

Here is a video from @IpodKingCarter.

Here is a video from @Chris_Smoove (Not a member of the 2K Team-Up this year, but offers his thoughts)

Game: NBA 2K14Reader Score: 6.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS3 / PS4 / Wii U / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 98 - View All
NBA 2K14 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 Sundown @ 08/06/13 05:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LD2k
They will be talking about all their thoughts on gameplay in the near future - and they will tell you their raw impressions.
That's good to hear. I do appreciate that you guys are also thinking about doing this early in the development cycle when input might be a bit more useful for that year's product.

I'm concerned about how "easy" block dunks seem to be. "We saw a blocked dunk in no time." "All you need are good stats and timing." Blocked dunks are a rarity in real life, and I hope realistic play will result in a realstic amount of blocked dunks (very few), and all the block dunks we're seeing are just because it was a poor choice to try to dunk.

I'm much rather see most dunks contests changed to layups or missed dunks like it used to be, with the occasional blocked dunk.

# 22 ccoaxum @ 08/06/13 05:35 PM
i keep hearing best feature in nba 2k14...i hope this is not true and just hype because it wasn't in 2k13...if blocking is the best feature in 2k14 then thats a prb in my book...just my thoughts tho

# 23 packerboy71 @ 08/06/13 05:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eman5805
Wait. So they were playing the next gen version too?
Nope in one of QJB's videos he said no (I think)

# 24 vannwolfhawk @ 08/06/13 05:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundown
Bleh. Team-Up only having Youtube stars and only allowing them to release specific info on specific days, with them overhyping each item makes them all sound like shills.

Block dunks being the biggest feature in 2K in a long time? Really? Something that only happens once every few games in real life?

I don't need six guys saying "block dunks are cool". These are like Amway Multilevel Marketing videos.

At least last year we got a raw impression from each of them and a lot of info at once.

I'm glad for the improved block engine though.
Lol! Yea this will get real annoying if we have to watch all these videos just to hear about 1 feature at a time. All I heard was rambling... Biggest feature in 2k in long time? Lmao!!!

# 25 Vni @ 08/06/13 06:00 PM
Sorry but I honestly give them 0 credit.

# 26 Sundown @ 08/06/13 06:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vannwolfhawk
Lol! Yea this will get real annoying if we have to watch all these videos just to hear about 1 feature at a time. All I heard was rambling... Biggest feature in 2k in long time? Lmao!!!
Some are worse than others. Shake4ndBake sounds like a major shill. IPC sounded a bit more subdued and rational.

"We played for an hour and saw sooo many blocked dunks, each one could go on YouTube."

That seriously worries me.

It should really be one blocked dunk in several hours of (realistic) play, not the other way around.

# 27 NvME @ 08/06/13 06:09 PM
You can now actually...block shots? In a basketball game, nonetheless? This is absolutley earth shattering. People never learn. You should be skeptical. They pulled the same PR nonsense in last years installment. Got a couple of YT'ers to come through and play their new innovative, basketball sim. The game was perfect according to them. 2K had finally given the people what they wanted. Then you popped it in and realized you couldn't stop self-alley oops. Passing was still atrocious. There was no contact in the paint.

They removed the muzzles and all of sudden Chris Smoove actually had gripes. Gripes that you didn't hear prior to release. I don't blame them. They don't want to burn their bridge with 2K, but it's laughable how many sheep fall for the okey-doke. Every. Single. Time.

# 28 MrBigShot1 @ 08/06/13 06:13 PM
Old feature...glad it's back but if this is indicative of the type of stuff they have the team up guys "amped" about, I'll be disappointed.

Is anyone else annoyed at the way they are handling the community team up impressions? Instead of allowing the guys to just post their honest impressions fresh from the event, they are forcing them to give out info one by one...and it kind of takes away from what would have been straight forward, candid impressions...just my opinion.

@vaanwolfhawk: Props for telling it like it is. This is nothing special.

# 29 Slava Medvadenko @ 08/06/13 06:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by QJBridges
There is definitely more contact when attempting blocks. With the ability to block dunks now, I feel as if users will have to play a lot smarter when it comes to shot selection.
Alright QJBeat, if that really is you*raises eyebrow at unverified status*, sounds good. Did you feel the defenders slid away on dunks as much as last year? If you didn't block the dunker, but sufficient contact occurred, was his momentum impeded in any way or his shot altered into a layup? Thats all I want to know for now. If this info is still Top Secret™ and will be talked about later, let us know.

# 30 mango_prom @ 08/06/13 07:08 PM
Was that the "great news for the sim community" already? I mean what does "balancing" even mean in this context? The best way to "balance" would be to make it more difficult to drive all the way to the basket in the first place. That's much more important than flashy monster blocks.

Give me 2k11s contact animations around the rim with maybe better help defense and increased odds of losing the ball in traffic and by spamming dribble moves and I'm perfectly happy. But blocks as the biggest feature? Come on.

# 31 Da_Czar @ 08/06/13 07:25 PM
Quote:
Some are worse than others. Shake4ndBake sounds like a major shill. IPC sounded a bit more subdued and rational.

"We played for an hour and saw sooo many blocked dunks, each one could go on YouTube."

That seriously worries me.

It should really be one blocked dunk in several hours of (realistic) play, not the other way around.
It completely depends on how they were playing. IF they were even sim gamers doesn't it ? IF your playing against a guy constantly trying to dunk if your constantly challenging those shots there is going to be more opportunities for blocked dunks and therefore more blocked dunks.

And it's ALL blocks.. It is a new block system not just a new dunk block system. Not as many balls floating through hands etc. ( note I did not say it never happens)

I play a sim style I wasn't seeing several block dunks every game I played but I wasn't playing user vs user. I was playing vs the AI and playing my style. So it wasn't overpowered in the least to me. But when you play online vs a different type of player it could be drastically different.

Listen there are some FANTASTIC contextual dunks that make you feel like YES get that **** out of here.

DISCLAIMER: I played an earlier version of the game maybe things have changed drastically since I played maybe you can now block shots from the bench I have no clue just giving my impression on what I actually saw in a certain point in time.

# 32 Da_Czar @ 08/06/13 07:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mango_prom
Was that the "great news for the sim community" already? I mean what does "balancing" even mean in this context? The best way to "balance" would be to make it more difficult to drive all the way to the basket in the first place. That's much more important than flashy monster blocks.

Give me 2k11s contact animations around the rim with maybe better help defense and increased odds of losing the ball in traffic and by spamming dribble moves and I'm perfectly happy. But blocks as the biggest feature? Come on.
The only thing I saw LD2K and Ronnie tweet yesterday was that there would be a "small" gameplay announcement tomorrow. Not sure where you got that bolded part from. If they actually said that then I agree with you but all I heard was "small" gameplay announcement. Not a great sim feature

# 33 LD2k @ 08/06/13 07:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Czar
The only thing I saw LD2K and Ronnie tweet yesterday was that there would be a "small" gameplay announcement tomorrow. Not sure where you got that bolded part from. If they actually said that then I agree with you but all I heard was "small" gameplay announcement. Not a great sim feature
People quote me on everything I didn't say all the time.

Then they yell at me... over Crews and stuff.

# 34 Sundown @ 08/06/13 07:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Czar
It completely depends on how they were playing. IF they were even sim gamers doesn't it ? IF your playing against a guy constantly trying to dunk if your constantly challenging those shots there is going to be more opportunities for blocked dunks and therefore more blocked dunks.

And it's ALL blocks.. It is a new block system not just a new dunk block system. Not as many balls floating through hands etc. ( note I did not say it never happens)

I play a sim style I wasn't seeing several block dunks every game I played but I wasn't playing user vs user. I was playing vs the AI and playing my style. So it wasn't overpowered in the least to me. But when you play online vs a different type of player it could be drastically different.

Listen there are some FANTASTIC contextual dunks that make you feel like YES get that **** out of here.

DISCLAIMER: I played an earlier version of the game maybe things have changed drastically since I played maybe you can now block shots from the bench I have no clue just giving my impression on what I actually saw in a certain point in time.
That's good that the game feels right to a sim player. And I guess reckless dunking leading to blocked dunks is a sim-like result, though I'd think it should result in layup attempts and realistic animations like years past.

What I'd like to know is how to be aggressive without dunking in 2k14, and whether contested attacks at the rim go into layup animations more often than not.. If the game tends to force you into dunks with guys who have Posterizer and high dunk ratings, and they get sent away at the rim regularly due to the new engine, that will still be more dunks than is realistic.

I hope the results will be dependent on the sim settings: casual/default should equal more dunk attempts and blocked dunks. Sim settings should equal less dunk attempts, more contest dunks turning into layups or missed dunks, with the rare spectacular blocked dunk.

Anyway, glad for the new block engine regardless. Andrew Bogut will actually e fearsome now.

# 35 vannwolfhawk @ 08/06/13 07:36 PM
I miss the dev insights! I loved reading those blogs with all the detailed information!

# 36 Sundown @ 08/06/13 07:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vannwolfhawk
I miss the dev insights! I loved reading those blogs with all the detailed information!
Are we even getting dev insights this year? And bummer team up guys didn't get to play next gen version. I wonder how much gameplay base they share.

# 37 vannwolfhawk @ 08/06/13 07:45 PM
Quote:
Are we even getting dev insights this year? And bummer team up guys didn't get to play next gen version. I wonder how much gameplay base they share.
I have no idea. If I had to guess I'd say no. Wasn't last year quick videos?

# 38 ForeverVersatile @ 08/06/13 08:03 PM
Honestly all this team up junk has me less excited about the game as I was previous years. News on a new blocking system should've been included in an overall impressions video or in a defense dev insight with video included. We aren't all kids we can retain information..So give us info worth opening up my web browser, YouTube or twitter for.

# 39 Gramps91 @ 08/06/13 08:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjjnesb
Not to be negative but one of my main concerns is this being overpowered.
yea, I have this concern as well. However, I'm going to remain positive as 2k is so good at making a basketball sim. Still remaining cautious though.

# 40 Caveman24 @ 08/06/13 08:20 PM
I'm excited this can happen. Not how often I can tell it's going too happen. For those who have league pass or watch basketball religiously know this doesn't happen that often. It should happen during the game yes but it shouldn't be an selling point IMHO. The way all these guys seemed excited about seems like it happened very often. Hopefully we can tone it down will see good work.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.