Home
NHL 14 News Post

EA Sports has posted their NHL 14 Live the Life trailer, as well as a blog with many more details about the mode, including player interviews (and when they occur), off-ice events, endorsements, likeability meters, on-ice performance and more.

Check the full press release below.

Live the Life Mode Features

In the Be a Pro Career Mode you could take your created pro from the minors to the NHL, as you attempted to become an NHL superstar. Inspired through working with real NHL and junior hockey players, Be a Pro in NHL 14 has evolved. For the first time ever, you can truly Live the Life of an NHL player as the mode now includes off-ice events.

With Live the Life, whether you’re on or off the ice, every decision you make shapes your legacy. Interact with teammates outside of the rink through Off-ice events. Take part in media interviews. Earn Endorsements. Each choice you make will affect your relationship with fans, teammates, family, and management, influencing your skills and progression.

What’s New in Live the Life

Player Interviews
As you progress through your pro’s career, certain events will trigger an interview with media or management. These interviews will include a question or a series of questions with four answer choices each. Your answers to these questions will affect your Likeability rating with fans, teammates, family, and management.

When do interviews occur and what are they focused on?
  • Pre-game – These interviews will focus on either the team you’re about to play, your recent performance, or upcoming career milestones.
  • Post-game – These interviews will focus on either the outcome of the game you just played, your performance in the game, or the milestones you accomplished in the game.
  • News – Interviews can be triggered by events and news from around the league. For example, if a player signs a contract with your team or someone gets traded.
  • Pre-Draft Interviews – Pre-Draft Interviews will occur a few days prior to the NHL entry draft. These interviews will give the user a chance to move up or down in the draft based on whether or not a team likes the answers you have provided. You will be interviewed by three teams that are within the range of where you are projected to be drafted.
Off-Ice Events
Off-ice events can occur at any time throughout the season. These events put you in a scenario that forces you to make a decision for your pro.
Ex. It’s a game night and your teammates ask you to join them for a night on the town. You’ll probably get back late and if your coaches found out, they might not be too pleased with you. What do you do?

Remember each action you take can produce a positive or negative reaction that can affect ratings and your likeability, so choose carefully.

Endorsements
If you’re doing the right things on and off the ice, this will lead to positive Likeability ratings. The higher your Likeability rating, the more likely you are to be approached with endorsements. Endorsements allow you to get some extra cash as well as some cool looking pictures for that mantle of yours'. Collect enough money throughout your career and you’ll unlock an achievement.

Likeability Meters
Likeability meters can increase or decrease based on your actions on and off the ice. They track how you are perceived by fans, teammates, management and your family.

These meters go from -100 to +100 and will produce consequences (positive and negative) based on how much the meter is filled.

Fan Likeability
  • The Fan Likeability meter defines your relationship with the fans of your team and the league.
  • A high Fan Likeability meter will increase your chances of receiving higher quality endorsements. On the ice your fans will cheer you on and you may even notice some camera's flashing when you touch the puck.
  • A low Fan Likeability meter will get you booed by your fans and fans around the league. If your Fan Likeability meter is low enough you may even get run out of town.
Teammate Likeability
  • The Teammate Likeability meter defines your relationship with the members of your team.*
  • A high Teammate Likeability meter increases your chances of receiving off-ice events. If your teammates like you enough you can even become the captain of your team but remember things such as age, your overall rating and your Management Likeability also play a role in determining if you’ll get the ‘C’.
  • With a low Teammate Likeability meter, you’ll be presented with fewer off-ice events. If your Teammate Likeability meter is drastically low, your teammates may even stop passing you the puck when you call for it.
Management Likeability
  • The Management Likeability meter defines your relationship with your GM and Coach.
  • A high Management Likeability meter makes it harder for you to be demoted to the minors as well as making it easier to get to the NHL. If Management likes you enough you can even become the captain of your team but as mentioned above, other ratings factor in here.
  • A low Management Likeability meter will make it harder for you to progress to the NHL and makes it easier to be demoted to the minors. If your Management Likeability meter is low enough you can be put on the trade block and potentially traded.
Family Likeability
  • The Family Likeability meter defines your relationship with your Family and will have a positive or negative effect on your on-ice attributes based on your rating.
On-Ice Performance
Your on- ice performance modifier gives you more leeway to act unprofessionally. The better you perform on the ice, the more your fans, teammates, management and your family will be willing to put up with your off-ice antics.

NHL 14 screenshot gallery - Click to view NHL 14 screenshot gallery - Click to view NHL 14 screenshot gallery - Click to view NHL 14 screenshot gallery - Click to view NHL 14 screenshot gallery - Click to view NHL 14 screenshot gallery - Click to view
Game: NHL 14Reader Score: 7/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 6 - View All
NHL 14 Videos
Member Comments
# 61 Simple Mathematics @ 08/09/13 08:20 AM
Is anyone else scared to hear the BaGM and GM Connected news now?

# 62 Fiddy @ 08/09/13 10:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple Mathematics
Is anyone else scared to hear the BaGM and GM Connected news now?
the news that we get will be no news on these IMO.

# 63 Money99 @ 08/09/13 02:59 PM
The AI needs more work, BaGM needs more work and online leagues need more work.
The BAP needs more work too, but I do think this is a positive step.
I agree the wrist injury thing from a restaurant dust-up is really dumb.
But I do like that they're incorporating some extra's into this mode similar to NBA's My Player mode. I really, really like that mode in 2K13, so I'm thrilled to see that we'll be getting some of that in NHL14.
I wonder how this mode will be for an enforcer?

All in all, I really hope they continue to make this mode more fun and more robust for the next-gen games.

# 64 akula @ 08/09/13 04:54 PM
this is an embarrassment to EA and to this hockey franchise! EA needs to step back and realize that this is NOT the kind of thing that will generate more sales. They are grasping at straws here, instead of improving presentation they are layering on crap like "text based" questions and answers. totally lame.

# 65 XXstormmXX @ 08/09/13 05:14 PM
This makes me want NHL 14 more then Madden 25. I will probably get it when it comes out instead of Madden 25.

# 66 Garism @ 08/09/13 08:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by XXstormmXX
This makes me want NHL 14 more then Madden 25. I will probably get it when it comes out instead of Madden 25.
I'm not complaining about NHL 14, but is this sarcasm knowing the amount of people that hate 14?

# 67 DustinOverbay @ 08/09/13 11:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SinisterAlex
You speak to the manager about having a man removed from the restaurant and then BAM:

Wrist shot power -15

Wrist shot accuracy -15

I guess logic goes out the window...

-------------

Another thing too, why can't NHL have FIFA's create a player system? I want to make my own unique face not choose from presets.
It then said "you were shoved" or something similar.

# 68 XXstormmXX @ 08/10/13 09:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garism
I'm not complaining about NHL 14, but is this sarcasm knowing the amount of people that hate 14?
I'm serious.

# 69 Babar61 @ 08/10/13 05:27 PM
So frustrated. I'm not one of those people that expects everything to be perfect but give me a break. They implement this lazy feature but meanwhile in gm mode I still won't be able to do simple things like:

1. Extend/resign contracts during the season.

2. Trade during the draft rather then between rounds.

3. Sign somewhat realistic contracts because players will continue to demand ridiculous contracts after mediocre years

4. Not being able to see the full history of a players stats and what teams has been on.

You can't tell me those 4 things would be hard or take long to implement, I have many more but I would be happy if even those were fixed. I dont think they have touched gm mode in years.

Only way ea will change its lazy ways is if people stop buying.

# 70 Peter10 @ 08/11/13 07:03 PM
You know what, i am not concerned about the text "adventure", for all i care all the in-between-the-games stuff could be done as a "text sim". Its just that all those choices are so ridicoulus stupid. Everyone with an IQ higher than the one of a piece of mud knows right away what to pick to not get a negative effect. The answers they have are an insult to any halfway intelligent creature - not just talking humans here, even a below average intelligent ant should be insulted by the possible answers.

# 71 Elite49 @ 08/13/13 02:56 PM
Skipped 12, 13 so 14 seems like a deal.

# 72 VDusen04 @ 08/13/13 10:31 PM
This kind of stuff kind of worries me about the direction of sports games overall. How exactly are games deciding on what to implement these days? I've sort of had a feeling that a developer's logic and common sense seems to sometimes take a backseat recently in favor of misguided gamer fan requests and/or a chase for the biggest sale possible.

Sometimes I just wish designers and developers would go back to more heavily trusting their own instinct as to how to make the best professional sports simulation product possible. Put the Facebook polls on the back burner, chill on the Twitter, prioritize overall quality over achievable sales, and just get back into the game of doing what you do best.

I just can't see how this new text-based mode could possibly be a professional game designer idea. It has to be fueled from an outside source. If NHL 14 had any sort of pop culture cred, I may have thought this video was an SNL parody.

# 73 Mongo14 @ 08/15/13 05:03 PM
At this point, I'm just happy there's some kind of improvement. Yes it could've been better but it's not the same mode as NHL 13. I'm still getting it no matter what.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.