Home
NHL 14 News Post

EA Sports has just posted another NHL 14 blog, which discusses the improved goalie collisions, more realistic incidental contact and penalty calls.

Improved Goalie Collisions
  • Goalie Reactions to Contact – Goalies will be live in all areas of the ice and their reactions to contact are much more realistic, utilizing the improved ragdoll physics models introduced with NHL® Collision Physics.
  • Goalie Interference – Improved logic ensures that big collisions with the goalie will result in penalty calls. Additionally, goals that come as a result of goalie interference will be called back more consistently.
More Realistic Incidental Contact
  • Speed and Momentum Matter – Not only will incidental contact occur more frequently, but speed and momentum will determine whether players colliding incidentally will trip and stumble or remain in control. Player balance attributes will also play a significant role in the outcome.
Penalty Calls
  • Interference – Expect stricter calls. Defenders won’t be able to hit attacking players as late after they release the puck.
  • Boarding/Hitting from Behind – Enhanced penalty logic judges the appropriate circumstances of a hit (angle, speed and result of the hit) and ensures the right call is made in each situation.
  • Charging – Additional logic has been added to understand the variables of each hit, such as the hitter’s speed and line taken.

NHL 14 screenshot gallery - Click to view NHL 14 screenshot gallery - Click to view
Game: NHL 14Reader Score: 7/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 6 - View All
NHL 14 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 Mongo14 @ 08/12/13 03:10 PM
Sounds like this is the last video. Time to start making the big decision. I'm a annual buyer so I know I'm buying it.

# 2 dlxsf18 @ 08/12/13 03:29 PM
Nice. I like that goalies are "live" and will get the same collision physics as the skaters. I wonder if they will also be live when they play the puck outside the crease?

# 3 ch46647 @ 08/12/13 03:32 PM
While I agree that this game could use an overhaul to presentation, and BAGM modes. Even the biggest doubters of this series cannot deny the significant improvements made to gameplay this year.

The gameplay looks to have been vastly improved, and this game looks FUN AS H*LL.

# 4 Money99 @ 08/12/13 03:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ch46647
While I agree that this game could use an overhaul to presentation, and BAGM modes. Even the biggest doubters of this series cannot deny the significant improvements made to gameplay this year.

The gameplay looks to have been vastly improved, and this game looks FUN AS H*LL.
There does seem to be a lot of improvements.
My biggest concern is still AI. I only play offline so if I play on AS or SS levels, will we still see 7th dmen sniping corners and deking through my entire team while my all-star players feel like they're skating in mud and get knocked off the puck by 5'3" soft dmen?

# 5 Simple Mathematics @ 08/12/13 03:49 PM
Glad goalie collisions are back. I don't like that they're touting it as "new". They were in NHL 12, they seemed to have taken it out for NHL 13, and now it's back. But whatever, at least it's back.

The other stuff sounds great. All welcome additions.

I just can't help but wish there were more BaGM improvements though.

# 6 centauris @ 08/12/13 04:03 PM
lol. why was this removed in NHL13?

this was IN NHL12. ridiculous

# 7 ch46647 @ 08/12/13 04:06 PM
While I completely understand the frustration on the lack of presentation and BAGM improvements, I simply do not think this team has the resources to improve every area.

This year it seems they decided to go all in on actual gameplay improvements. Maybe to solidify an already great foundation heading into next-gen. Regardless, Id expect huge improvements to modes and presentation on next-gen NHL 15.

# 8 Simple Mathematics @ 08/12/13 04:14 PM
Quote:
While I completely understand the frustration on the lack of presentation and BAGM improvements, I simply do not think this team has the resources to improve every area.

This year it seems they decided to go all in on actual gameplay improvements. Maybe to solidify an already great foundation heading into next-gen. Regardless, Id expect huge improvements to modes and presentation on next-gen NHL 15.
I sure hope so. A half-hearted effort to open up their next-gen series would be awful.

# 9 bwiggy33 @ 08/12/13 05:43 PM
Quote:

They should be if it's anything like NHL 12. That's where I have a major problem. Typical EA putting "Live goalies" in NHL 12 and then taking it out for 13 only to have it reappear as a feature in 14. It's pretty ridiculous. It's great to have in the game but when they take it out and put it in it gets annoying seeing them market it as a feature.

# 10 canucksss @ 08/12/13 05:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwiggy33
They should be if it's anything like NHL 12. That's where I have a major problem. Typical EA putting "Live goalies" in NHL 12 and then taking it out for 13 only to have it reappear as a feature in 14. It's pretty ridiculous. It's great to have in the game but when they take it out and put it in it gets annoying seeing them market it as a feature.
Why are we surprise at this? Broken glass...remember this? EA, for me, is a company that takes away some good features and then added it to the next game and call it "new".

Anyhow, I just hope that not releasing NHL 2014 to the next gen will be a good call so that they could totally improve it the next release for the next gen. I remember NHL 2006 was not release in the new 360/ps3. But they came up big with NHL 2007 that gave us Stick skill for Right analog stick.

# 11 thedudedominick @ 08/12/13 06:06 PM
I really hope they are serious about being stricter with the penalty calls and calling them at the proper time. I just hope they don't listen to all the kids online who complain about spending all game in the box and tune them back to previous levels.

# 12 Garism @ 08/12/13 06:27 PM
Very excited for the hitting. And the stupid diving play.. glad that you can now fall over that and a penalty be called.

# 13 speels @ 08/12/13 06:51 PM
First off, EA haters, not once in the blog or the video did they declare anything they showed as "new". They said they were improvements, so stop hating just to hate on EA.

Second, the gameplay looks a lot better, but I will agree, if the decision making and execution of the CPU players, coaches, and GM's is not better then this game will get just as boring, just as fast as 13.

I am excited to play this game and I am looking forward to it and The Show being the last games I play on the PS3.

# 14 emericaridr11 @ 08/12/13 06:58 PM
feather goalie collisions sweet.... still stoked though

# 15 Simple Mathematics @ 08/12/13 07:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by speels
First off, EA haters, not once in the blog or the video did they declare anything they showed as "new". They said they were improvements, so stop hating just to hate on EA.

Second, the gameplay looks a lot better, but I will agree, if the decision making and execution of the CPU players, coaches, and GM's is not better then this game will get just as boring, just as fast as 13.

I am excited to play this game and I am looking forward to it and The Show being the last games I play on the PS3.
Isn't it assumed that they're touting it as new since they're doing a whole blog about it? If you were right, they would do a blog about anything. Like a blog about how NHL 14 has line changes in it. Or how NHL 14 has icing in it. Or how NHL 14 has the San Jose Sharks in the game.

# 16 bwiggy33 @ 08/12/13 07:46 PM
Quote:

How can something like Live goalies be an improvement if it wasn't in NHL 13? That would be considered new to the game. I figured in 13 Live goalies would have remained from 12. Then for some reason it was removed and now they are talking about it again in the 14 blog. Sounds like they are making this a new feature to me if it wasn't in NHL 13.

# 17 ericromain @ 08/12/13 07:50 PM
EA Dev team likely took out the goalie collisions because it was broken after some other changes and they weren't able to fix it in time for NHL 13, or they just weren't happy with it's final implementation for NHL 12 then they didn't get around to fixing it until now.

Goalie collisions are a tough feature to implement. You don't want to be scored on because of no calls on goalies getting bumped. On the other hand, you don't want constant whistles/penalties/no goals from guys accidentally bumping the goalie while you drive the net.

It'll be interesting to see. I'm impressed with the gameplay improvement work they've attempted this year in what should be a PS3/360 lame duck game while they are likely getting ready for next gen.

# 18 TerryP @ 08/12/13 08:34 PM
Quote:

Great post! I feel exactly the same as far as the CPU AI goes.

# 19 Ghoste @ 08/12/13 08:36 PM
Kinda looks like Backstrom pushed JT into the goaltender so maybe that should have been a good goal.

I never played NHL '12 so the goalie collisions are new to me at least.

-ghoste

# 20 phillyfan23 @ 08/12/13 09:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Money99
There does seem to be a lot of improvements.
My biggest concern is still AI. I only play offline so if I play on AS or SS levels, will we still see 7th dmen sniping corners and deking through my entire team while my all-star players feel like they're skating in mud and get knocked off the puck by 5'3" soft dmen?
hey hank,

have you tried revamped rosters?? ive played almost through my season now (70 gms) and giroux , before his long injury was leading the team with 14 goals 33 assists in 40 games, voracek has 64 pts in 70, lecavalier has 48 in 70.

all my 4th liners have 15 points maximum in 70( talbot).

what convinced me how ratings matter is simon gagne, if you use him you feel that he will score a lot for you, he is fast, agile decent puckhandling. in past games this.probably translated to high points output, but gagne in the game is weak, has a weaker shot, not too accurate, and.this translates well. he does well in transition, but once the cycle starts he is.almost worthless. has scored 6 goalsand 14 assists for me in 70 games.

it's really much better.....and it also applies to when you play the cpu on all star level, crosby malkin are a lot more dangerous than bennett, sutter, adams.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2

« Previous12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.