Home
NCAA Football 14 News Post

The Southeastern Conference announced today that it will not, as a conference, license its trademarks in the EA Sports NCAA Football video game. This decision does not involve member universities as of yet, as this only involves the SEC conference name and logo.

However, this could be the type of event that opens the flood gates to future defections from the game. While the future of the College Football series looked somewhat on stable ground after EA and the CLC agreed to a three year deal, this news rattles the very foundations and future of the series.

"Each school makes its own individual decision regarding whether or not to license their trademarks for use in the EA Sports game(s)," the SEC said in a statement. "The Southeastern Conference has chosen not to do so moving forward. Neither the SEC, its member universities, nor the NCAA have ever licensed the right to use the name or likeness of any student to EA Sports."

This is another move in response to the Ed O'Bannon case which could end collegiate video games forever given unfavorable rulings from the courts.

Today's news only brings more questions as to the viability of the product going forward.

UPDATE: ESPN's Kristi Dosh is reporting that the Big XII says they have yet to make a decision on the inclusion of their marks in future College Football video games.

UPDATE #2: ESPN is now reporting the Big Ten is out as well.

UPDATE #3: In a statement to Joystiq, a CLC representative said "150 collegiate institutions, including SEC schools, have approved renewal of the EA college football license, to begin with the 2015 edition. As with any licensed product, individual schools continue to make their own decisions."

We are putting in a question with the CLC on whether this means schools can still opt out of the game at any time or not as the wording certainly seems to leave that possibility open.

Update #4: Jeremy Fowler of CBS is reporting that the Pac-12's marks also won't be in the new game.

Game: NCAA Football 14Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 54 - View All
NCAA Football 14 Videos
Member Comments
# 101 malky @ 08/14/13 01:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenGerman
So I guess when we thought the CLC was in control of all of this stuff, we were wrong? By the sounds of it, it seems like any school/conference could just jump of the ship individually.
That was only a few people that thought the clc was in control , myself and others knew the writing was on the wall months ago, I guess it takes big capital letters of SEC on the wall to see what's happening smdh

# 102 lowercasecurtis @ 08/14/13 01:29 PM
pasta just posted on twitter. Big 10 also out.

A sad day.

"@pastapadre
Update; Big Ten joins SEC in departing video game support. "

# 103 BadAssHskr @ 08/14/13 01:31 PM
My money says, B1G goes next. Just have a feeling they are "that" panty waste.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mva5580
I find this to be a perfect time to throw out what I've been saying for years.

RELEASE THE DAMN GAME ON PC.

Make it fully moddable, and it really does not matter one damn bit which schools/conferences/whatever sign on with you to use their logos, names, games, etc. EVERY school in the NCAA could pull out of the game tomorrow and it would take modders all of a week or two to put all of that stuff back in the game as if nothing ever happened, and oh by the way it would be better.

Anyhow, i agree, only i want it to go one step further. Someone pick up a copy of '14, get that SOB cracked open and let the games begin. I can not for the life of me figured out why this hasn't happened, or frankly why it can't happen.

If we could go through with customization today, with what we have, we wouldn't sneeze at a missing title in the future.

Someone educate me.

# 104 Cryolemon @ 08/14/13 01:31 PM
Now we'll see if any individual schools start dropping out, if they do then it's pretty much over.

Pasta still thinks we'll get a College Football 15 though:

Bryan Wiedey ‏@pastapadre 2m
I do believe there will be a college game released next year. EA will look for return on investment regardless. Could die soon after though.

# 105 MNHuskerman @ 08/14/13 01:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC1980
Madden sucks compared to NBA2K, FIFA, and MLB The Show
Let me correct you, the current engine Madden was built on for this generation sucks, and granted that was EA's fault. But without that handicap going into next gen, watch and see what Madden will become. When the EA team no longer has to worry and waste time/production/$$$ putting out a half-baked NCAA Football game, Madden will become the crown jewel it should have been all along. They have been working on the Ignite Engine for a few years now building up for next gen. They will hit the ground running on next gen, whereas they totally stumbled out of the chutes at the beginning of current gen. You really think 2K, Fifa and the Show will outshine Madden if EA truly puts all their effort in on ONE Football game? Please. Madden will be the sports videogame boss within 1-2 years and I'm calling it out now. However, if this NCAA suit ends up bankrupting EA, all bets are obviously off at that point.

# 106 CR3AMnCR1MS0N @ 08/14/13 01:33 PM
Looks like it'll just be madden for me next summer boys. Oh well, just means I spend less money.

# 107 Steve_OS @ 08/14/13 01:33 PM
ESPN updated the story. The Big Ten is out too.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/...-football-game

# 108 kehlis @ 08/14/13 01:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32
Yep. If I'm the SEC I would argue that because the SEC's entire mark is being used (Southeastern Football Conference) that its infringement and there is a high likelihood of confusion that people will think the conference that appears in the game is affiliated with the SEC.
Wouldn't you be able to argue that regardless of the name EA gives it but it is comprised of all the actual SEC teams?

Isn't that kind of what obannon's argument is? They never used his name but his likeness?

# 109 moose1234 @ 08/14/13 01:35 PM
Now is the sky falling chicken little .

# 110 Cryolemon @ 08/14/13 01:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kehlis
Wouldn't you be able to argue that regardless of the name EA gives it but it is comprised of all the actual SEC teams?

Isn't that kind of what obannon's argument is? They never used his name but his likeness?
That's something I didn't think of...

# 111 RaychelSnr @ 08/14/13 01:36 PM
Big Ten out now too.

In an era where gamers will be expecting even more authenticity, College Football games are going to be less authentic. Not a recipe for marketplace success.

# 112 Ramminyou @ 08/14/13 01:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_OS
ESPN updated the story. The Big Ten is out too.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/...-football-game
I would be surprised if any of the conferences remain at this point. What effect, if any, this has on the individual schools is the story now.

# 113 AuburnAlumni @ 08/14/13 01:38 PM
I hope O'Bannon gets 4 flat Tires in a driving rainstorm.

# 114 The_Gaming_Disciple @ 08/14/13 01:41 PM
All of this had to happen as soon as the next gen consoles arrived...smh...

# 115 malky @ 08/14/13 01:41 PM
Yep the clc is in control lol , hopefully ea patches 14 up really good , cause this is really the last game

# 116 aholbert32 @ 08/14/13 01:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenGerman
So I guess when we thought the CLC was in control of all of this stuff, we were wrong? By the sounds of it, it seems like any school/conference could just jump of the ship individually.
The CLC IS THE SCHOOLS! Its one of the partnerships the schools created to help. Schools can always opt out of the CLC. It doesnt mean that they will do and actually it doesnt do individual schools any good to opt out right now. CLC is already being sued and they are continuing to still sell licences through the CLC. Dropping out doesnt get them out of the current suit.

One thing that is frustrating me about this is the mischaracterization of this case by sites like ESPN and even OS and Pastapadre.

I see things like "Lawyers for O'Bannon Asking Judge to Deny Defense Motions" as headlines on OS as if this is big news. To the layman, this headline and the story reads as if 1) Obannon's team is doing something significant (which they arent) and 2) the references to the language used in the motions are treated as if they are legitimate responses to EA's motion.

We are treating every move Obannon's team makes as if its the end of the world for the NCAA and EA's game and it isnt. The case is working its way through the process like any other case. Also, people love to disregard the SIGNIFICANT legal hurdles that Obannon will have to get past in order to win the case and prove damages.

# 117 Gramps91 @ 08/14/13 01:45 PM
very sad. I'm not big on NCAA football but am on NCAA Basketball. We haven't had a NCAA Bball game in years and this only hurts matter and now I doubt we'll ever see one again. smh. sad day.

# 118 Playmaker76 @ 08/14/13 01:45 PM
Thinking EXTREMELY optimistically about this, they could just do what PES does and make the generic teams COMPLETELY customizable to the point of importing the official logos, fight songs, uniforms, etc. into the game. Sadly there is a better chance of Half life 3 releasing as an XBOX One exclusive in 2015.

# 119 cbutler0509 @ 08/14/13 01:47 PM
From what I read it is important to remember that each team still can decide to be in the game. Their conferences however will not. So the SEC will be replaced with a fictitious conference that could still have SEC teams in it.

# 120 aholbert32 @ 08/14/13 01:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMChrisS
Big Ten out now too.

In an era where gamers will be expecting even more authenticity, College Football games are going to be less authentic. Not a recipe for marketplace success.
EA's College Football series sold well before it became NCAA football and those games had fake names for some schools. Also if you are a college football fan and you have a choice between not buying a college football game and buying one that has all (or most) of the teams and no real conference names....which one will you choose?

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.