Home
NBA 2K14 News Post

Check out the new features for NBA 2K14.

Highlight Features:
  • Crews - The single-most requested game mode is back! Face off against opposing crews online using your MyPLAYER. Create your logo and face off in 5v5 battles with other crews featuring leaderboards and stats. (PS3 & Xbox 360 only)
  • Euroleague - Exclusive to NBA 2K14 - play with 14 of the top European teams, featuring authentic uniforms and players.
  • Dynamic Living Rosters® powered by Stats, Inc. - Player attributes and tendencies automatically update daily to reflect true life hot and cold streaks. Now, each game played in the NBA can have an effect on your game.
  • King James Soundtrack - Featuring artists and tracks hand-picked by LeBron James, including JAY Z, Eminem, The Black Keys, Daft Punk, and many more.
  • MyTEAM - Back and better than ever, with new player modes, multi and single player tournaments, and much more. (PS3 & Xbox 360 only)

Key Gameplay Features:
  • Pro Stick™ – Throw down show-stopping moves, pull off intricate shots, and toss flashy no-look passes with deadly accuracy with Pro Stick control. Easily the most intuitive basketball controls ever implemented.
  • 2K Smart Play Button –Quickly call the most suitable play for the context of the game by simply holding a single button.
  • Improved Player Motion System – With an all new motion system, player movement is much smoother on both ends of the floor, while also allowing for much more explosive cuts and tighter control.
  • Depth of Content – With significant upgrades in nearly every aspect of the game, both on and off the court, NBA 2K14 boasts more animation content than any previous basketball title, and includes more than 3000 new animations.

General Gameplay Improvements:
  • Signature Skills – Six new Signature Skills, ensuring each NBA player’s unique abilities are represented in the most authentic way possible.
  • Playbook and Play System enhancements – The deepest and most authentic playbook gets even deeper. Execute new half-court sets, experience improved spacing logic, and run updated team specific plays.
  • More Signature Styles - New jump shots, dunk and layup packages, dribble moves, free throws, pre-game intros, getbacks, celebrations and more.

Offensive Control Improvements:
  • Shot System Upgrades – More realistic footwork on jump shots, improved awareness in shot selection, and a variety of new shot types. Whether you use the new intuitive Pro Stick™ or the enhanced Smart Shot Button, attacking the rim is now more exciting than ever.
  • Dribbling Advancements - Upgraded dribble movement and new branching technology give you much greater 1-to-1 control over the ball handler.
  • Enhanced Passing – More accurate pass targeting, new give and go mechanics, better handoffs, and an entire arsenal of new flashy passes.

Defensive Improvements:
  • Learning Defensive A.I. – Test your skills even further with new defensive AI that sees where the offense is being successful and adjusts strategy to take those advantages away.
  • Block Improvements – The block system has been completely revamped for NBA 2K14 with improved ball targeting and awareness, more realistic physics, and more responsive control. All new player collisions, the ability to block dunks, and more appropriate shot contests make playing defense much more fun and rewarding.
  • All New Ball Denial - No more getting stuck during off ball bumps and ball denial, allowing for complete freedom of control over your players away from the ball.
  • Enhanced dribbler vs. on-ball defender contact - Defenders can now initiate steals, hard bumps, and charges out of defensive rides, making locking up players on defense a much more engaging experience.
  • Expanded Defensive Commands – New commands using the right stick: including contesting shots, contesting passes, and denying or pressuring the ball.

Returning Features Include:
  • MyCAREER
  • The Association
  • The Association: Online
  • Training Camp
  • Season
  • Playoffs
  • Practice
  • NBA Blacktop
  • MyPLAYER Blacktop
  • Team Up
The NBA 2K14 King James Bonus Pack offers exclusive content featuring LeBron James. Customers who pre-order NBA 2K14 for the Xbox 360® games and entertainment system from Microsoft and PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system will receive the following:
  • 10,000 Virtual Currency to get a jump start on the competition;
  • Extra content for the new Path to Greatness mode;
  • LeBron James unlocked in Blacktop Mode;
  • The all-new LeBron James Signature Skill available for your MyPlayer.
NBA 2K14 arrives in stores on October 1st for Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and PC. Xbox One and PS4 versions arrive in November.

Game: NBA 2K14Reader Score: 6.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS3 / PS4 / Wii U / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 98 - View All
NBA 2K14 Videos
Member Comments
# 141 jersez @ 08/15/13 10:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beluba
Just wanted to point out... This is by no means an exhaustive list of features. There are a number of other improvements, like contact in the paint, that we left off the list. So don't assume that if it's not listed, it's not in the game. That's all I wanted to say. Carry on.
Always in the shadows I hope footplanting has received a significant improvement on current and next gen 2k14.

# 142 KyotoCarl @ 08/15/13 10:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by miller31time
No improvement to Association Mode? 2K, you never cease to amaze me.

I know there are always "those" kids every year who don't see one minor improvement and exclaim "I'M NOT GETTING THIS GAME, NOW!!!!1!" but in this instance, I feel perfectly justified not purchasing 2K14.

Will it make a dent in their sales? Nope, but they've lost me as a customer until they spent one iota of time on the only mode that matters to me.

Pity.
This is for current gen. Next gen might have improvemens to those areas.

# 143 abcfinest @ 08/15/13 10:30 AM
Im a online player. I hope that there are true leaderboards and stats for versus rank matches. I also hope they up the difficulty setting online. I rarely played crew mode in the past because of the servers. Im glad crew is back but it wasn't what I was expecting. Hopefully 5 on 5 crew will have refs, fouls and 4 quarters. It will be straight to play crew 5 vs 5 outside on the blacktop with regular rules like a city summer league. Nba players do it every summer. I know yall be seeing players like durant, j harden and even kobe go to a local popular summer league and drop buckets on regular bball players at places like the rucker or drew league.

# 144 BallIsLife2 @ 08/15/13 10:33 AM
Quote:
No improvement to Association Mode? 2K, you never cease to amaze me.

I know there are always "those" kids every year who don't see one minor improvement and exclaim "I'M NOT GETTING THIS GAME, NOW!!!!1!" but in this instance, I feel perfectly justified not purchasing 2K14.

Will it make a dent in their sales? Nope, but they've lost me as a customer until they spent one iota of time on the only mode that matters to me.

Pity.
You've completely ignored the positives about this game and just jumped to the negative.

Even though we still have 6 weeks until the game comes out,

# 145 threattonature @ 08/15/13 10:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BallIsLife2
You've completely ignored the positives about this game and just jumped to the negative.

To me I did not have a huge problem with gameplay. But there were some gamebreaking problems with online associations. I play the game to build teams and try to win the title against friends. So if that's my primary purpose of playing the game it doesn't matter how great the game play is if they don't address those changes.

# 146 DBMcGee3 @ 08/15/13 10:49 AM
I'll be pissed if they change the dribble controls too much. I waited like 10 years for them to finally adopt that idea from NBA Live, and 2k13 plays fantastic in that regard. I really just wish they would step up their game on the roster updates and playbooks. I love the idea of a dynamic season where guys are put on the IR when hurt in real life, etc., but if it means missing tons of players, having generic shoes on 1/2 the roster, and a playbook full of broken plays, then what's the point? C'mon 2k, there are guys all over this site who have the customization of this game down to a science, doing it all for love of the game and possibly small donations here and there, and you're telling me you can't find someone who can do it for a weekly paycheck? I'd do it on the side for hundred bucks a week. Side note: I'm also a good late night driver, if there are any drunken athletes reading this thread.

# 147 VDusen04 @ 08/15/13 10:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BallIsLife2

I admit to being in the same boat right now, while also fully and entirely admitting just as well that my mindset could make a 180 degree turn as more information is revealed. It's just at this very point, there hasn't been much revealed that's had me getting dangerously and preemptively amped.

I think in the past few iterations, there's been some big-time NBA-related attention grabbers that directly appealed to my interests (my interests being, you know, the NBA). 2K11 dropped the Jordan Mode bomb. 2K12 dropped the mega-classic Greatest Mode (way more classics, way more legends, way more NBA courts, era filters, etc.) and even 2K13 had already revealed a proper NBA Dunk Contest, 3pt. Shootout and the official USA Olympic team (and original Dream Team) at this point.

While I found 2K13's big guns to ultimately reveal themselves to be flops (Dunk Contest controls were absolutely dumbfounding, 3pt. Shootout unresponsive, and Olympic teams without actual opponents) they were still big time attention grabbers at the start. This year, thus far, for the folks who do not find as much joy in the super fantasy side of NBA simulation (Crew, MyPlayer, MyTeam), there hasn't been much thrown out there yet.

It's still super early, so I think a lot of us are still open and hoping, but the generalized back-of-the-box features haven't really done much for me up to this point.

# 148 cthurt @ 08/15/13 11:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VDusen04
This year, thus far, for the folks who do not find as much joy in the super fantasy side of NBA simulation (Crew, MyPlayer, MyTeam), there hasn't been much thrown out there yet.

This statement right here is why me and 2k havent got along famously like i hoped we would. i just want to play with the players i see on the court in real life. creating players or myself has never been a fun factor of the game for me but to each its own. I just want 2k to give as much focus to the NBA side of the game whether it be classic teams or modes and association mode, areas that reflect what we see or saw in real life.

# 149 HealyMonster @ 08/15/13 11:32 AM
no mention of revamped presentation or presentation improvements...disappointed

# 150 KyotoCarl @ 08/15/13 11:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiderGH
no mention of revamped presentation or presentation improvements...disappointed
That's because yesterday was all about crew and features. Presentation isn't a feature really. Stuff like that will come later.

# 151 jeremym480 @ 08/15/13 11:51 AM
The gameplay improvements sounds nice.

I have my fingers crossed that we will hear something about Association mode improvements in the coming weeks. I'm not even asking for a complete revamp. They just need to tune the stuff that hasn't worked properly for the past 4-5 years (rotations, morale, etc.). Also if they added the D-League back in, along with the ability to intervene in games, I'll be happier than a pig in mud.

I'm certainly not holding my breath though.

Sent from my VS920 4G using Tapatalk 2

# 152 Dr.NellieBall @ 08/15/13 12:30 PM
Dynamic roster updates my azz, heard this bs 3 years ago.

# 153 cthurt @ 08/15/13 12:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.NellieBall
Dynamic roster updates my azz, heard this bs 3 years ago.
I did get a deja vu moment when i read that.

# 154 hear me now @ 08/15/13 01:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBMcGee3
I'll be pissed if they change the dribble controls too much. I waited like 10 years for them to finally adopt that idea from NBA Live, and 2k13 plays fantastic in that regard. I really just wish they would step up their game on the roster updates and playbooks. I love the idea of a dynamic season where guys are put on the IR when hurt in real life, etc., but if it means missing tons of players, having generic shoes on 1/2 the roster, and a playbook full of broken plays, then what's the point? C'mon 2k, there are guys all over this site who have the customization of this game down to a science, doing it all for love of the game and possibly small donations here and there, and you're telling me you can't find someone who can do it for a weekly paycheck? I'd do it on the side for hundred bucks a week. Side note: I'm also a good late night driver, if there are any drunken athletes reading this thread.
I feel the same way.They just needed to adjust it a little.

# 155 midwestking100 @ 08/15/13 01:09 PM
nice features list, but i am still praying for more classic teams....

# 156 poloelite @ 08/15/13 01:11 PM
I really hope they include the legend teams and please bring back the era filters from 2k12. It can't be that hard to include the era filters.

# 157 miller31time @ 08/15/13 01:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VDusen04
I admit to being in the same boat right now, while also fully and entirely admitting just as well that my mindset could make a 180 degree turn as more information is revealed. It's just at this very point, there hasn't been much revealed that's had me getting dangerously and preemptively amped.

I think in the past few iterations, there's been some big-time NBA-related attention grabbers that directly appealed to my interests (my interests being, you know, the NBA). 2K11 dropped the Jordan Mode bomb. 2K12 dropped the mega-classic Greatest Mode (way more classics, way more legends, way more NBA courts, era filters, etc.) and even 2K13 had already revealed a proper NBA Dunk Contest, 3pt. Shootout and the official USA Olympic team (and original Dream Team) at this point.

While I found 2K13's big guns to ultimately reveal themselves to be flops (Dunk Contest controls were absolutely dumbfounding, 3pt. Shootout unresponsive, and Olympic teams without actual opponents) they were still big time attention grabbers at the start. This year, thus far, for the folks who do not find as much joy in the super fantasy side of NBA simulation (Crew, MyPlayer, MyTeam), there hasn't been much thrown out there yet.

It's still super early, so I think a lot of us are still open and hoping, but the generalized back-of-the-box features haven't really done much for me up to this point.
You hit the nail on the head with this post. Well-said.

For those who are saying "You're not being patient", you were probably the same people that told me to be patient last year. And the year before. And the year before that.

If 2K spent time on Association Mode, they're going to market it to death. The fact that it's not mentioned in a detailed list of improvements in the game, to me, signifies they didn't pay the mode the attention it desperately needs.

And excuse me for going by 2K precedent rather than hope regarding my disdain for the lack of Association improvement. I've been fooled by that argument a few too many times and am straying on the side of caution if not pessimism from now on. 2K has earned it.

# 158 Melbournelad @ 08/15/13 01:52 PM
Quote:
You hit the nail on the head with this post. Well-said.

For those who are saying "You're not being patient", you were probably the same people that told me to be patient last year. And the year before. And the year before that.

If 2K spent time on Association Mode, they're going to market it to death. The fact that it's not mentioned in a detailed list of improvements in the game, to me, signifies they didn't pay the mode the attention it desperately needs.

And excuse me for going by 2K precedent rather than hope regarding my disdain for the lack of Association improvement. I've been fooled by that argument a few too many times and am straying on the side of caution if not pessimism from now on. 2K has earned it.
Possibly the most accurate post I have ever seen on OS. I agree completely.

# 159 si3po @ 08/15/13 02:03 PM
Pretty disappointed at the fact that there's no word on utilization of Kinect for importing faces into CAP mode. I wish they would take a step forward in CAP, it's been the same damn thing year after year after year....

# 160 BQ32 @ 08/15/13 02:18 PM
Every year they release a list of improvements that get me excited, then starting last year they let their teamup crew spew how great the game will be and I get amped. Then the game drops, it appears awesome at first as I am learning to master the control scheme and new features as well as my naivety in thinking the cheese has been fixed. I start thinking that finally this is the game that will play like real basketball on a competitive level. But then once I get over the new moves, animations, and the cool "LOOK" of the game it hits me like a sac ton of bricks. The gameplay is just garbage. The teamate AI and spacing is horrid, There sometimes is massive delay in user imput vs onscreen execution, especially with dribble moves. Canned animations that make no sense in the context, and the CHEESE smells worse then 30 year old molded cottage. So maybe I'm alone in this but count me not overly excited this year, especially after watching that short crew video. Graphics looked identical to 13, The dribbling still seemed wonky and the passing which has always been atrocious also look exactly the same.

I hope the game is awesome, if it is I will gladly eat crow, but I don't buy into the hype, basketball is my life, I just want a good game. So far I am actually looking towards Live for my fix.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.