Home
NBA 2K14 News Post

IGN recently had a chance to play an early build of NBA 2K14 with the game Director, Rob Jones. They talk briefly about the Pro Stick dribbling and shooting.

Quote:
It turns out that holding LT (on Xbox 360) now triggers an assist pass based on whatever direction you nudge on the right stick. It's wild fun on fast breaks or for driving the lane and kicking out to a spot-up shooter behind the three-point line.

Once I got some advice from longtime series director Rob Jones, the dribble-stick controls made a lot more sense. As he simply stated, "Dribbles are taps [on the right thumbstick], shots are holds."

UPDATE: 2K Team-Up member @IpodKingCarter has posted more details.

UPDATE #2: 2K Team-Up member @QJBeat has posted more details.

UPDATE #3: 2K Team-Up member @Shake4ndBake has posted more details.

UPDATE #4: 2K Team-Up member @ShakeDown2012 has posted more details.

What are your thoughts?

Game: NBA 2K14Reader Score: 6.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS3 / PS4 / Wii U / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 98 - View All
NBA 2K14 Videos
Member Comments
# 41 Slava Medvadenko @ 08/19/13 12:48 PM
Ipodkingcarter posted this on the description on his video:

Quote:
NBA 2K14 - Tips On How To Dribble & Shoot With New Button Config & My Experience With The Pro Stick

Dribbling With New Pro Stick Controls:

To do a Escape Hesitation - hold RT+ flick RS to ball hand

To do a Quick Hesitation - flick RS to ball hand

To do a Half Spin - rotate RS towards rim

To do a Full Spin - rotate RS around back

To do all normal moves such as crossovers, stutter steps,between the legs, behind the back, stepback, and jab steps you have to now flick the RS not hold it in the direction to perform the move.

Shooting With New Pro Stick Controls:

To shoot hold RS in any direction

To do a hop gather press X while driving

To do a spin shot rotate RS from ball hand around players back

To do a half spin shot rotate in a quarter-circle from ball hand to hoop

To do a runner/floater hold RS away from hoop while driving

To do a layup hold RS towards hoop while driving

To do a Euro Step layup hold RS right/left while driving

To do a Hop Step layup hold RT + hold RS left/right while driving

To do a dunk hold RT + hold RS toward hoop while driving

To do a pump fake hold RS after starting jumpshot let go of RS

Needless to say, the controls are changed a good amount this year. I don't know what to say about it until I try it, but I am glad the double tap stuff seems gone. Hopefully the directional inputs are spot on like 2k11.

# 42 Vni @ 08/19/13 12:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyp180
Absolute is the way to go on broadcast cam however I still feel that sometimes the player doesnt do what I am telling him
Yep you know why? Because there are too many different stances for the the ball handler triggered on the perimeter. Everytime a defender gets cloes to you, your player get in a different stance. That messes up everything. That even changes the shot timing release.

# 43 Magnus1959 @ 08/19/13 12:54 PM
I have such a hard time passing now. Hope this change does not make things worse.

# 44 tedus @ 08/19/13 12:57 PM
Ha ha! NBA Elite 2K14! Some familiar!

# 45 blues rocker @ 08/19/13 12:59 PM
i'm starting to warm up to this scheme. it will feel more intuitive since you don't have to hold left trigger for shots anymore...i didn't think there was a way to do shots and dribbling on one stick without a modifier trigger, but apparently they found a way that works well enough to implement.

but again, there may be a bit more delay to the shots now. we'll find out soon enough.

# 46 quehouston @ 08/19/13 01:08 PM
2k needs to quit overhauling their controls every year, in my opinion. Stick to the basics. Do flashy passes really need their own control? I thought bounce passes were enough. What happen to players with high flashy pass tendencies throwing flashy passes automatically?

# 47 Vni @ 08/19/13 01:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by quehouston
2k needs to quit overhauling their controls every year, in my opinion. Stick to the basics. Do flashy passes really need their own control? I thought bounce passes were enough. What happen to players with high flashy pass tendencies throwing flashy passes automatically?
Should never complain that they're trying to give the user more control.

# 48 quehouston @ 08/19/13 01:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vni
Should never complain that they're trying to give the user more control.
Yea yea, " more control". I just hope they give us more control on the defensive side of the ball where we NEED it.

# 49 ccoaxum @ 08/19/13 01:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedus
Ha ha! NBA Elite 2K14! Some familiar!
yup thats what i was thinking and already been saying..lol

# 50 Vni @ 08/19/13 01:13 PM
Quote:
Yea yea, " more control". I just hope they give us more control on the defensive side of the ball where we NEED it.
Lol I can understand that. They already mentionned the new blocking system and that they worked on the inside paint contact so wait and see.

# 51 WizardJay @ 08/19/13 01:15 PM
All this offensive stuff has me worried for the 3rd straight year.

Offense has enough control as it is.

# 52 ccoaxum @ 08/19/13 01:18 PM
Quote:
i agree need more control on defense...and giving a us a button to do cool passes is not exactly giving you more control..correct me if i'm wrong but didn't they gave us a button on 2k13 to do bounce passes anytime we wanted to?But even you didn't use that bounce pass button the player would still bounce pass on their own which takes away the purpose of having the bounce pass button if it is going to do it on their own..this is example of making ppl think they have control and really don't in the end....by the way are they taken the bounce pass future out this year?

# 53 alabamarob @ 08/19/13 01:21 PM
If this new control scheme makes pumpfakes realistic then that alone is enough for me. If it requires you to stop midshot then hopefully players will have different shot fake effectiveness and animations. If they couple this with traveling calls then paint defense will be much better this year.

# 54 JerzeyReign @ 08/19/13 01:23 PM
I'm tired of learning new control schemes every year. I wish they got deeper and more realistic without changing it into something else.

Won't know the reason why they changed it until I get hands on but it seems pointless and I'm unimpressed right now.

# 55 KyotoCarl @ 08/19/13 01:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardJay
All this offensive stuff has me worried for the 3rd straight year.

Offense has enough control as it is.
And each year the controls have been better than the previous, so why are you worried? Last year were the best button combos and control combos, imo.

# 56 Sundown @ 08/19/13 01:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccoaxum
i agree need more control on defense...and giving a us a button to do cool passes is not exactly giving you more control..correct me if i'm wrong but didn't they gave us a button on 2k13 to do bounce passes anytime we wanted to?But even you didn't use that bounce pass button the player would still bounce pass on their own which takes away the purpose of having the bounce pass button if it is going to do it on their own..this is example of making ppl think they have control and really don't in the end....by the way are they taken the bounce pass future out this year?
Thing is the player wouldn't always do a bounce pass by themselves when appropriate. In fact they rarely did. It feels completely different to be assured a bounce pass-- sometimes forcing one inappropriately which is part of the fun-- than hope you might get one. I actually made mistakes forcing them like I do in real ball, meaning the gameplay is working as intended.

So how do we bounce pass this year? Same I assume-- LT-Pass.

But yes flashy passes need they own control. They should present their own risk and rewards, just like bounce passes. They shouldn't be restricted to when the programming randomly depends its appropriate.

# 57 BBallGuru @ 08/19/13 01:37 PM
Can't wait for this! Absolutely love the pass stick in NBA Live 10.

# 58 KyotoCarl @ 08/19/13 01:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundown
Thing is the player wouldn't always do a bounce pass by themselves when appropriate. In fact they rarely did. It feels completely different to be assured a bounce pass-- sometimes forcing one inappropriately which is part of the fun-- than hope you might get one. I actually made mistakes forcing them like I do in real ball, meaning the gameplay is working as intended.

So how do we bounce pass this year? Same I assume-- LT-Pass.

But yes flashy passes need they own control. They should present their own risk and rewards, just like bounce passes. They shouldn't be restricted to when the programming randomly depends its appropriate.
Yes it is.

# 59 RyanFitzmagic @ 08/19/13 02:01 PM
Um... wasn't this already in 2K13 (or maybe 2K12), where you could turn on right-stick passing if you wanted to?

# 60 Da_Czar @ 08/19/13 02:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by blues rocker
i'm starting to warm up to this scheme. it will feel more intuitive since you don't have to hold left trigger for shots anymore...i didn't think there was a way to do shots and dribbling on one stick without a modifier trigger, but apparently they found a way that works well enough to implement.

but again, there may be a bit more delay to the shots now. we'll find out soon enough.
After 2, 5 min qtr games it will be second nature fam. The **** is NOICE. Feel's natural, so that it makes the thought of needing a trigger to activate shots seem clumsy and cumbersome.

You come down and left right cross then hold for the pullup. I really really enjoyed this config. It is part of the reason I don't play 13 now because it's just to cumbersome (in my mind) to get shots off and I don't want those habbit's back when I get 14 LOL.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.