Home
NBA 2K14 News Post

NBA 2K14 Producer Erick Boenisch (AKA SimBaller), has confirmed classic teams will return to NBA 2K14 (post #200). More details will be revealed at a later date. Some of you may have already been aware of the news, but for those that were not, you can calm down.

Game: NBA 2K14Reader Score: 6.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS3 / PS4 / Wii U / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 98 - View All
NBA 2K14 Videos
Member Comments
# 81 vannwolfhawk @ 08/21/13 01:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Czar
I tried to sell this concept. No takers so far.
Really? I wonder why they would not want to do that? It's just more money in 2k's pocket and covers costs to have those players on each team signed too I would assume? I'd think this would be a great way to keep classic teams in all future titles. Not sure I'd put a price point of 2.99 but maybe 1.99 or .99?

# 82 23 @ 08/21/13 01:16 AM
Quote:
They could sell seasons or teams and I'd definitely buy it... it should at least be considered, especially for us fans of older seasons.

# 83 MarvinOida @ 08/21/13 01:40 AM
Didn't 2K do the "pay for Classic Teams" with NBA 2K13 on iOS?

Tap Tap Taptalking away on my iPhone

# 84 Sundown @ 08/21/13 02:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vannwolfhawk
Really? I wonder why they would not want to do that? It's just more money in 2k's pocket and covers costs to have those players on each team signed too I would assume? I'd think this would be a great way to keep classic teams in all future titles. Not sure I'd put a price point of 2.99 but maybe 1.99 or .99?
I'm thinking they don't see a big enough market to do entire teams, create the art and keep up/seek out the licensing for entire rosters. They seem to prefer to use classic teams as added value to promote the sale of the original game.

# 85 Vni @ 08/21/13 06:31 AM
WNBA would be nice.

# 86 Da_Czar @ 08/21/13 09:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundown
I'm thinking they don't see a big enough market to do entire teams, create the art and keep up/seek out the licensing for entire rosters. They seem to prefer to use classic teams as added value to promote the sale of the original game.
One potential mess I think of is who get's to decide which teams are free and which one's you should pay for ? Some users may feel like Hey I didn't ask for the free Euro teams, you keep them and give me 14 free teams LOL. OR some may feel like how do I get the bulls 98 for free but have to pay for a pacers team ?

Might not be worth the headache. These are just my thoughts or why open pandora's box.

# 87 Mintsa @ 08/21/13 09:50 AM
Quote:

Well it looks like we're on the same page.

# 88 The 24th Letter @ 08/21/13 09:52 AM
Quote:
Really?

Out of all the BS DLC sports games put out there now, I'd definitely invest in classic teams...this is an opportunity where fans are screaming "take our money", they should jump on it..

# 89 Da_Czar @ 08/21/13 09:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The 24th Letter
Really?

Out of all the BS DLC sports games put out there now, I'd definitely invest in classic teams...this is an opportunity where fans are screaming "take our money", they should jump on it..
Here is a question for everyone who would buy this. How many real players would you need on a team to make a purchase ? What if they can only sign 5 guys (Hypothetical). Also are you wanting a custom Arena( if it isn't already in the game) or is a floor art on an existing arena good enough for 1.99 or 2.99 ?

What about teams without big stars like a PHO team sans barkley will anyone outside of us actually buy that ?

# 90 Vni @ 08/21/13 09:56 AM
How did the 2K12 DLC sell?

# 91 The 24th Letter @ 08/21/13 10:03 AM
Quote:
Here is a question for everyone who would buy this. How many real players would you need on a team to make a purchase ? What if they can only sign 5 guys (Hypothetical). Also are you wanting a custom Arena( if it isn't already in the game) or is a floor art on an existing arena good enough for 1.99 or 2.99 ?

What about teams without big stars like a PHO team sans barkley will anyone outside of us actually buy that ?
I realize money is involved, so for me, if you can at least get the accurate starting 5 and total out around 7-8 players I would be ok with that...I don't so much care about arenas....

# 92 VDusen04 @ 08/21/13 10:07 AM
Quote:

I've never been a big fan of the payment idea for additional classic teams, as I never had an indication that money was the only thing holding 2K back from creating more classic teams in the first place. If it was clear that it was a money problem, and even teams like the 2007 Warriors couldn't be added simply because the cash wasn't there (even with many of that roster's players still being active), I think I'd be more receptive to the money idea. But if the DLC option was merely a bribery option (aka they could easily include the content in the game but just chose to make us pay instead) then I wouldn't be a fan.

But speaking only hypothetically, if worst came to worst and the only way 2K could add a team would by making them downloadable, I think I'd need 8-10 real players being offered, in addition to authentic jerseys and court art. Of course, authentic arenas would be cool, but it's certainly something I'd easily overlook. Many of the current classic teams has generic arenas and I'm quite alright with it.

I'd also feel DLC teams would need their top stars accounted for. As such, while I think a '93 Phoenix team sans Barkley would be welcomed by many if it were ever included in the retail version, I think paying separately for such a team when its primary star was absent would be largely frowned upon. I think it'd create a thought process of, "Wait, then what are we paying for? Why isn't this just free?"

# 93 daveberg @ 08/21/13 10:14 AM
Quote:

Between 7 - 8 players and that's stretchin it. Most DEFINITELY a custom arena/era specific to that team.

Meh, we lived without Barkley, Doc, Kareem and Webber, I'd do it again if it meant keeping or adding teams to the game, even though it's a damn shame they'd not be in it.

Thing that really winds me up...(sorry) Chuck, Reggie and Cweb don't mind having their faces all over Inside NBA, yet refuse to be involved in a video game? Pfffft.

# 94 shegotgame @ 08/21/13 10:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystar500
I'm really hoping for the Jason Kidd New Jersey Nets and the TMac-Yao era Rockets as classic teams. That would be fun.
I would love to see the back-to-back championship contending Net teams. Would have made sense to include them this year with the hype of the move to BK. But I can still hope for 2K14.

# 95 jd@os @ 08/21/13 10:51 AM
Quote:
Here is a question for everyone who would buy this. How many real players would you need on a team to make a purchase ? What if they can only sign 5 guys (Hypothetical)...

If they could only sign 5 guys, that would be okay because it seemed like other than the Chicago Bulls, other classic teams had around 5 real players in 2K11--so I'd be used to it.

I know some people who aren't "us" (don't post on OS and aren't really big on classic teams) that would have bought the 2001-02 Kings team without Webber if it was DLC because we had that conversation; those same people would buy the Suns without Barkley. If you bought the game for $63.59, I don't see why you'd have a problem shelling out 2 bucks for a popular team missing one big star (you already spent over $60--what's 2 bucks?).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

# 96 B Easy @ 08/21/13 02:10 PM
Classic teams are the only reason I buy 2k year in, and year out. I would gladly pay a few extra bucks for bonus teams, seasons, missing uniforms, arenas, etc. Every year I keep my fingers crossed that there is a batch of new goodies for us to have, hopefully that continues on this year...

# 97 VDusen04 @ 08/21/13 02:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by B Easy
Classic teams are the only reason I buy 2k year in, and year out. I would gladly pay a few extra bucks for bonus teams, seasons, missing uniforms, arenas, etc. Every year I keep my fingers crossed that there is a batch of new goodies for us to have, hopefully that continues on this year...
I know that feeling, sir. That feeling actually dates back to 2002 for me. I always hoped for classics but figured they'd never come. Back then, I was more hoping for a blown out retro jersey selection every year. That's still one of the first things I do when I get the game in fact (go through each team, checking retro jersey availability). I was always bummed NBA Live seemed to have that portion locked up from the start - seemingly every retro jersey ever - while 2K's been leaking out a handful year by year for the past decade.

# 98 B Easy @ 08/21/13 02:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VDusen04
I know that feeling, sir. That feeling actually dates back to 2002 for me. I always hoped for classics but figured they'd never come. Back then, I was more hoping for a blown out retro jersey selection every year. That's still one of the first things I do when I get the game in fact (go through each team, checking retro jersey availability). I was always bummed NBA Live seemed to have that portion locked up from the start - seemingly every retro jersey ever - while 2K's been leaking out a handful year by year for the past decade.
I'm the same way, man. One of the first things I do is check to see which classic jerseys were given to us in this go around. Another thing with NBA Live of years past, we were always provided with stars like Kareem, Dr. J, etc. but no "era specific" version of them. We weren't given a '77 version of Bill Walton, just well, Bill Walton. I love the fact that last year, Shawn Kemp got a 1996 make over from his previous version that was in 2k12. If you compare the two versions of the Reign Man, 2k did a great job with the latter. Simple things like that give me hope that maybe one day we'll get a retro blowout that we've been waiting for.

I feel as though this is a small (maybe not as small as I think), hardcore group of us on here who would love nothing else but to have a 2k game full of hardwood nostalgia. I can't be the only one who still DvR's classic games on NBA TV and ESPN Classic, can I?

# 99 daveberg @ 08/21/13 02:34 PM
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by VDusen04
Quote:
I'm the same way, man. One of the first things I do is check to see which classic jerseys were given to us in this go around. Another thing with NBA Live of years past, we were always provided with stars like Kareem, Dr. J, etc. but no "era specific" version of them. We weren't given a '77 version of Bill Walton, just well, Bill Walton. I love the fact that last year, Shawn Kemp got a 1996 make over from his previous version that was in 2k12. If you compare the two versions of the Reign Man, 2k did a great job with the latter. Simple things like that give me hope that maybe one day we'll get a retro blowout that we've been waiting for.

I feel as though this is a small (maybe not as small as I think), hardcore group of us on here who would love nothing else but to have a 2k game full of hardwood nostalgia. I can't be the only one who still DvR's classic games on NBA TV and ESPN Classic, can I?
Agree with all of you guys. The legends are the only thing that keeps this game alive for me, and to see them ever get stamped out in favour of solely concentrating on today's NBA just makes me sneer.

And not at all B easy, most days at work I do nothing but watch 80's and 90's basketball, reliving the classic Jordan years, and marvelling at some of the best players the league has ever seen, going to war when the league was a man's game.

I'd love nothing more than for 2k to release a separate game with nothing but classic teams and retro season play. I'd pay huge coin for that. And I mean that.

# 100 Wildcats302 @ 08/21/13 02:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveberg
Agree with all of you guys. The legends are the only thing that keeps this game alive for me, and to see them ever get stamped out in favour of solely concentrating on today's NBA just makes me sneer.

And not at all B easy, most days at work I do nothing but watch 80's and 90's basketball, reliving the classic Jordan years, and marvelling at some of the best players the league has ever seen, going to war when the league was a man's game.

I'd love nothing more than for 2k to release a separate game with nothing but classic teams and retro season play. I'd pay huge coin for that. And I mean that.
What job do you do where you can sit around and watch Youtube videos of old NBA Games? Hire me as an assistant please lol

I agree though, the classic teams are awesome. I like to play against them with my classic Lakers and also like to do a season mode mixing current players with legends.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.