Home
NBA 2K14 News Post

Gamekult has posted some new NBA 2K14 gameplay videos featuring the Euroleague. (Link #1, Link #2, Link #3) Some users are having problems getting the videos to play. VNI has uploaded them to Youtube and embedded them below.

Game: NBA 2K14Reader Score: 6.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS3 / PS4 / Wii U / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 98 - View All
NBA 2K14 Videos
Member Comments
# 221 23 @ 08/22/13 02:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goffs
The videos where compressed compared to high quality sounds that 2k uses. So theres your answer....

Here's something else to think about....one of the weakest things about 2k is the crowd noise and you expect them to get that kind of quality crowd noise for a Euro team? It's not going to happen this year or even next....unfortunately.

NBA Live 10 IMO still has the best crowd noise and I have been asking for something of that quality for 2k since then. There are just too many quiet moments when a big play happens on 2k. I don't know if its a bug but the crowd stops reacting at a big play has been happening since 2k11! I've pointed this out (and many others as well) and put it on the bugs thread....maybe I should put it on the wishlist thread instead then maybe it will finally be fixed.

EDIT: I'm listening to Live 10 on youtube while typing this...still the best sounding crowd noise. The best part about that game as well was that you can CHOOSE the type of crowd noise to play in during an exhibition game. If you wanted a playoff crowd you have that option to play in....

My sentiments word for word Goffs. Maybe someone needs to go into a game and record the crowd from the inside but it would help 2k out immensely to get a bunch of new sounds for this game.

The Crowd - Plays so much importance on the atmosphere at a game, and its almost like its only 2 tones in this game, the quiet cheer and the one when you're on a run but then a bug cuts that off, and it doesn't seem as though its ambienced if you know what I mean. Doesn't really sound stadium like reverbed. The rest you spoke of for me up there lol.

- The rim sounds need a change. It sounds like a Ps2 sound that was carried over, even when guys dunk, the rim doesn't sound like that, it just doesn't.

I dont want to write a book but honestly, I dont think the audio has been on par with the rest of the improvements so to speak...thats just my opinion though.

# 222 mauro78 @ 08/22/13 03:10 PM
Maybe I'm little OT but looks at PES 2014 with the new FOX Engine...

Looks impressive...both gameplay and graphics..
Konami is "anal" in terms of recreating players likeness...

# 223 rbfn04 @ 08/22/13 04:05 PM
Just realised, no more equalizer thingie whenever a team scores.

# 224 Taer @ 08/22/13 11:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boilerbuzz
I don't think this was ever packaged as a mode, per se. I could be wrong. If it was, then yeah, that's kind of weak. I think it just supposed to have those teams and players for the European folks that wanted them.
While not an official "mode", like the Olympic teams for 2k13, the Euroleague was meant to be a major feature of this year's title. The 2K team themselves emphasized the Euroleague as an unique and stand-alone feature as evidenced in quotes from their official Q&A:

Quote:
... We then worked directly with Euroleague to capture the authenticity of each team, per our critical standards in the NBA 2K series. ...

and

Quote:

Q: Euroleague teams feature a different atmosphere during their games. Will the atmosphere be different from the NBA experience? Will we hear team chants, see flares, etc.?

A: The Euroleague atmosphere featured in NBA 2K14 will accurately capture fans’ enthusiasm and passion for global basketball.

So 2K has spent resources, both money and time to give us the authenticity of each team and the atmosphere will accurately capture fans' enthusiasm and passion. Or at least that is what they claim.

These teams are a full feature given the developmental time and effort to give us an authentic experience.

If what I've seen so far is what was meant by meeting their critical standards
for capturing authenticity of both the teams and the atmosphere, then "weak" is indeed very weak. I'd go so far as to say this was nothing more then a gimmick inserted in to be a counter to their competitor having a license they did not.

# 225 KyotoCarl @ 08/22/13 11:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taer
While not an official "mode", like the Olympic teams for 2k13, the Euroleague was meant to be a major feature of this year's title. The 2K team themselves emphasized the Euroleague as an unique and stand-alone feature as evidenced in quotes from their official Q&A:

and

So 2K has spent resources, both money and time to give us the authenticity of each team and the atmosphere will accurately capture fans' enthusiasm and passion. Or at least that is what they claim.

These teams are a full feature given the developmental time and effort to give us an authentic experience.

If what I've seen so far is what was meant by meeting their critical standards
for capturing authenticity of both the teams and the atmosphere, then "weak" is indeed very weak. I'd go so far as to say this was nothing more then a gimmick inserted in to be a counter to their competitor having a license they did not.
Having individual teams is, in my mind, a base for future features. I think, and hope, they will be expanded on next year. Now they have things on in place to integrate them into association mode and my player.

Now, we don't know if this is the finished product or if the atmosphere in games will be different when we finally have the finished product.

Sent using Tap a Talk

# 226 Taer @ 08/22/13 11:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KyotoCarl
... I think, and hope, they will be expanded on next year... Now, we don't know if this is the finished product or if the atmosphere in games will be different when we finally have the finished product. ...
We both hope that everything is expanded upon in the future but until I see it in official statements and releases I'm going to go with what they did with the Olympic teams as their plans.

As far as not knowing if the stuff shown at the convention is the final product - you are correct, I don't think it was confirmed either way.

Just going on what 2k has shown and what they said themselves, I am standing by my conclusion that their efforts at providing authenticity of both teams and atmosphere has fallen flat and does not meet the standard of quality we expect from 2K.

# 227 JerzeyReign @ 08/23/13 01:31 AM
I made a quick little video of what I feel the EuroLeague portion of this game should sound like. I know its easy to hop on and dog on 2K for this but the disconnect with the audio is huge for me.

Spoiler

# 228 Sundown @ 08/23/13 05:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerzeyReign
I made a quick little video of what I feel the EuroLeague portion of this game should sound like. I know its easy to hop on and dog on 2K for this but the disconnect with the audio is huge for me.

Spoiler
It works really well when I don't understand what they're saying.

# 229 bumpyface @ 08/23/13 06:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by blues rocker
appearance and graphics mean little to me. it does not affect my enjoyment of the game. i really just care how the game plays. good graphics are just a bonus. Even if 2k did get rid of some other things in order to improve the graphics, i don't think the difference would be that much.

Like Czar said, they've gone about as far as they can go in this generation with graphics and the number of animations they can include. That's all there is to it. People expect too much without understanding what is possible and what's going on under the hood.
Agreed. I admit due to past iterations I'm a little skeptical, but the gameplay does appear smoother. They can keep the graphics the same for all I care, just improve gameplay. I want to be able to get online and compete, as I once did in 2k11 and previous installments. I knock 2k alot, and I mean alot. But I won't hesitate to give them the credit they deserve if they improve on simple gameplay like rebounding, speed, passing, etc. 2k did it to themselves setting the bar so high with previous games. Sorry. Anyways, forget the presentation. I don't care about head bands, announcers, who gives a >>>>. Bring that hardcore, responsive, explosive gameplay back BABY!

# 230 Goffs @ 08/23/13 07:16 AM
Quote:

Spoiler
Nicely done! If 2k gave us the option to customize crowd noise it would solve this problem!

# 231 KyotoCarl @ 08/23/13 08:18 AM
Quote:

Spoiler
Really nice work Jerzey, taking the time to make some tangible. This is really how it should sound and I hope 2K takes notice.
Even if they are just available for quick play they need to make it feel different, otherwise the "mode" would just be boring.

# 232 Muzyk23 @ 08/23/13 08:36 AM
I know it's easier said than done and I know that they want to sell and cater for the casual audience too, but I really wish instead of adding things like Jay-z, euroleague etc. they would work on audio, art, finally changing the player models, get rid of baggy shorts and jerseys, bulky legs. They have different teams working on different things, but I would like focus to shift elsewhere.

# 233 green225 @ 08/23/13 10:19 AM
looks awesome to me, like they finally got everything right. now just gotta wait to see what they do with crew to confirm that.

# 234 Eman5805 @ 08/23/13 11:10 AM
Quote:

Spoiler
We might be able to get better sound, but you aren't getting a whole new commentary crew. They would have to be able to say EVERY single NBA player's first and last name in addition to the ones on the 14 teams or they'll be saying a lot of #16s.

I just don't see the cost being worth the logistical nightmare just to appeal to a niche demographic. It isn't the same as just throwing on a black and white filter, some different graphic supers, and a fuzzy radio filter over the commentary like they did in those Greatest Games from a game or two ago.

# 235 VDusen04 @ 08/23/13 11:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eman5805
We might be able to get better sound, but you aren't getting a whole new commentary crew. They would have to be able to say EVERY single NBA player's first and last name in addition to the ones on the 14 teams or they'll be saying a lot of #16s.

I just don't see the cost being worth the logistical nightmare just to appeal to a niche demographic. It isn't the same as just throwing on a black and white filter, some different graphic supers, and a fuzzy radio filter over the commentary like they did in those Greatest Games from a game or two ago.
Truth. I always thought changing a commentating crew seemed like a heck of a daunting task for all involved - programmers and talent. I've never really paid attention, but does the commentary use different inflections for each name too? As in, is there a standard "McGrady.", then a "MCGRADY!" followed by a sentence lead-in like "Now McGrady..."?

I'm sure every portion of the game is crazy to make, but it's easier for me to see and feel the work involved to make commentary work. The talent probably have the easy job but even then, I wonder how they feel about going through thousands of names over and over ("Abdelnaby. Abdelnaby? Abdelnaby! Allen. ALLEN! Allen..."). Then for the team to make it all sound natural and not just cut and pasted? To not have it sound like, "The BOBCATS are led by BENJAMIN. GORDON." has always kind of blown me away.

# 236 Optik @ 08/23/13 11:58 AM
Quote:

Europe's a niche demographic? Without Europe's interest in NBA 2K, it would probably be relegated to the popularity of NHL and MLB video games. Basketball is a global game, and it's time to pay attention to people outside of the United States.

How do you think Europe feels, only having the commentary in one language? PES 5 on the PS2 has 4 or 5 commentary languages, including Spanish as well as English ofc. I remember fifa 13 added an Arabic commentator.

# 237 Vni @ 08/23/13 12:11 PM
I agree with Optik but personally I would never want to use french commentary if it was an option in the game. NBA is an american thing I want the original american commentators that comes with it.

edit: Oh i guess you guys where talking about euro commentary for the euro teams. So I agree with that.

# 238 Sundown @ 08/23/13 12:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VDusen04
Truth. I always thought changing a commentating crew seemed like a heck of a daunting task for all involved - programmers and talent. I've never really paid attention, but does the commentary use different inflections for each name too? As in, is there a standard "McGrady.", then a "MCGRADY!" followed by a sentence lead-in like "Now McGrady..."?

I'm sure every portion of the game is crazy to make, but it's easier for me to see and feel the work involved to make commentary work. The talent probably have the easy job but even then, I wonder how they feel about going through thousands of names over and over ("Abdelnaby. Abdelnaby? Abdelnaby! Allen. ALLEN! Allen..."). Then for the team to make it all sound natural and not just cut and pasted? To not have it sound like, "The BOBCATS are led by BENJAMIN. GORDON." has always kind of blown me away.
Yes. The audio team has been phenomenal with the commentary. Easily the best commentary/dynamic speech implementation ever in a video game.

I'm guessing they have the announcers record the same thing in several contexts as well as in word combinations. Like they probably record "93 points" as well as "93 percent" and "number 93".

It's so frustrating to me when other games sound like 90. 3. Percent. Dev, you can hear that sounds like crap, right? Would it be that hard to just record 0-93 percent?

ARMA drives me nuts in that they chop up everything to save a little disk space and memory.

Two. Hostiles. North. West. Gaaaah.

# 239 Eman5805 @ 08/23/13 01:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Optik
Europe's a niche demographic? Without Europe's interest in NBA 2K, it would probably be relegated to the popularity of NHL and MLB video games. Basketball is a global game, and it's time to pay attention to people outside of the United States.

How do you think Europe feels, only having the commentary in one language? PES 5 on the PS2 has 4 or 5 commentary languages, including Spanish as well as English ofc. I remember fifa 13 added an Arabic commentator.
A soccer game is a terrible comparison given that in addition to the USA having our own name for the sport, it is one of the least popular sports here while it's popular EVERYWHERE ELSE by the nth degree.

It makes sense to cater to many individual markets by having commentary in their language. Especially when I do happen to watch a soccer match, it's very light on the play by play commentary. At least in comparison to how we do things here. Replicating that seems a simpler task when your biggest chore is getting all the names in.

And I'm going to need to see some data or confirmation from somewhere before I buy that NBA 2K's success and popularity over their other franchises is because of Europe and not the sports they depict being less popular even here in America, along the quality of competition (meaning that they actually have it, not necessarily that EA or Sony's games are better or worse.)

I don't mean to offend, but, it's just how I see it.

Though, wasn't there a Spanish commentated version of 2K some year? I seem to recall seeing an article and video on it some previous year.

# 240 Sundown @ 08/23/13 02:49 PM
Quote:
Though, wasn't there a Spanish commentated version of 2K some year? I seem to recall seeing an article and video on it some previous year.
There was last year. Might be prudent to turn it on for Euroleague games.

Also, someone should create custom Euroleague chants/crowd sounds/music for the arena music manager.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.