Home
NCAA Football 14 News Post

ESPN's Kristi Dosh wrote an extensive piece on how much schools make from EA Sports each year while also throwing in a few nuggets about other properties and their status with the game. Among them, one of Dosh's sources claims that he/she has "very serious doubts" about if the Playoff will end up licensing to EA for next year's game.

This doesn't mean, however, there won't be a playoff in the game -- just the official branding and such that goes with it might not be there. The news is the same for Bowl games, as some haven't decided on inclusion yet. So instead of the Chick-Fil-A Bowl you'd get a bowl called the Atlanta Bowl or something like that.

Another thing Dosh pointed out in the article, as have I in the past couple of weeks, that the amount of money most schools make on the EA games is generally less than 5% of their total licensing revenue. Some schools saw their licensing numbers from EA down in the less than 2% range of total licensing revenue. A careful study of these figures, especially for private institutions, would likely give some indications about which schools might be able and willing to discontinue their license with EA Sports in the future.

It is likely schools could end their relationship with EA Sports at any time, as the finances for getting out of a current contract are likely reasonable enough that such a jump would be easy to make, especially if a university feels they may be on the hook for millions from future lawsuits by being involved in future games.So while all but one school appears to be in next year's game -- that doesn't indicate that schools won't jump in the future. Arkansas, Kentucky, and Washington are just three schools which have indicated they are on the fence about participating in future EA Sports games.

Also, while reports were contradictory on the status of the SEC a couple of weeks ago, Dosh clears that up by saying the SEC will appear in one more game to fulfill their current contract with EA. After that, the SEC has decided not to include their marks in the game.

Game: NCAA Football 14Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 54 - View All
NCAA Football 14 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 JayD @ 08/21/13 12:22 PM
This is really starting to get ridiculous.

# 2 bad_philanthropy @ 08/21/13 12:30 PM
It's not just about revenue for these schools. Their presence in the game is valuable as advertising for not only their school but other revenue streams like merchandise.

But yes, all this crap is getting out of hand. I just want the court case to end so everything is clear. Just put the game on hiatus until it's all over.

# 3 BenGerman @ 08/21/13 12:31 PM
I've said it before, and I'll say it again: our only hope at a full game past next year is for that lawsuit to be settled.

# 4 EAGLESFAN10 @ 08/21/13 12:42 PM
They can't be serious

# 5 Gr4h4mb0 @ 08/21/13 12:52 PM
Lets say that EA has to use generic teams, would that affect Nike's design in the uniforms too? I could deal with generic teams if they had sleek modern uniform touches to them.

# 6 Gr4h4mb0 @ 08/21/13 12:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenGerman
I've said it before, and I'll say it again: our only hope at a full game past next year is for that lawsuit to be settled.
Agreed 100%

# 7 sportzbro @ 08/21/13 12:55 PM
All this is isn't a huge deal if EA gives us a game with the tools to fully customize bowls, playoffs, logos, conferences, conference logos, teams, uniforms, stadiums, etc. BUT that will obviously never happen given their track record over the last decade.

# 8 ranman1982 @ 08/21/13 03:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bad_philanthropy
It's not just about revenue for these schools. Their presence in the game is valuable as advertising for not only their school but other revenue streams like merchandise.

But yes, all this crap is getting out of hand. I just want the court case to end so everything is clear. Just put the game on hiatus until it's all over.
Putting the game on hiatus would kill the series. I've pretty much have come to grips that this will be the last college football game coming out of EA.

# 9 bigdoc85 @ 08/21/13 03:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportzbro
All this is isn't a huge deal if EA gives us a game with the tools to fully customize bowls, playoffs, logos, conferences, conference logos, teams, uniforms, stadiums, etc. BUT that will obviously never happen given their track record over the last decade.
I think you nailed it -- the game needs to be very customizable - somehow I just don't see that happening. I'm guessing NCAA Football 14 will become like College Hoops 2k8 and people will create new roster sets each year.

# 10 ndfan1993 @ 08/21/13 03:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdoc85
I think you nailed it -- the game needs to be very customizable - somehow I just don't see that happening. I'm guessing NCAA Football 14 will become like College Hoops 2k8 and people will create new roster sets each year.
Saves me $60 a year plus the cost of wanting to buy a PS4.

# 11 Cryolemon @ 08/21/13 03:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenGerman
If O'Bannon etc win the case then the future of any college related merchandise could be in doubt, because the NCAA will flat out not pay players.

# 12 stoncold32 @ 08/21/13 03:17 PM
I said this awhile ago. These schools don't make enough from EA to go thru the hassle of being involved in this NCAA vs player battle.

If EA accounted for 30% of their revenue or so, they'd be all on board. But they'd rather lose the 5% and avoid a potential headache

# 13 Cryolemon @ 08/21/13 03:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gr4h4mb0
Lets say that EA has to use generic teams, would that affect Nike's design in the uniforms too? I could deal with generic teams if they had sleek modern uniform touches to them.
I'm not a lawyer, but my guess is that would be fine, if there was a deal between EA and Nike, as long as the actual designs didn't directly copy an actual school's.

# 14 dghustla @ 08/21/13 03:56 PM
I'm sorry, I just don't see a generic game surviving in this climate. Even with the inclusion of customization. EA would have to actually monitor and enforce strict policies on team builder in regard to using logos and trademarks. They do not police this now because they own the right to use the trademarks and logos. I would imagine it would be similar to when youtube started blowing up and the different sports leagues seeked legal action and deals pertaining to unauthorized hosting of highlights.

The game would have to almost be beyond Generic. If I'm apart of the chick-fil-a bowl committee and EA tries to make the "atlanta bowl" in a dome stadium I am going to sue. ED O'bannon is suing for the same thing "generic" use of likeness.

a team called College Station? Tuscaloosa? These cities are only known for their college teams. EA would only open themselves up to more potential litigation. By having the city name of a college team who did not give them the right to use or reference their trademarks. Maybe there isn't much of a case there but ppl said the same thing years ago when this Obannon Mess started.

# 15 laxman490 @ 08/21/13 04:43 PM
Quote:
Lets say that EA has to use generic teams, would that affect Nike's design in the uniforms too?
nike would never go through the trouble on creating 100+ random uniforms for a video game.

Quote:
I could deal with generic teams if they had sleek modern uniform touches to them.
you say that now, but go play PES before it had any licenses.

# 16 gogators @ 08/21/13 04:48 PM
If they already know that there may not be a game after next year, then I would expect the next game not to be that great. You think they EA is going to spend a bunch of R&D time for this series if they think there is a chance that it amy not live? I don't.

This game needed next-fen and now we may not get what we want.

# 17 Cryolemon @ 08/21/13 04:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by laxman490
nike would never go through the trouble on creating 100+ random uniforms for a video game.
Depends how much EA paid them I guess...

Quote:
you say that now, but go play PES before it had any licenses.
Pro Evo 2 was good (okay, it had a handful of licenses, but only individual teams)

# 18 laxman490 @ 08/21/13 04:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryolemon
Pro Evo 2 was good (okay, it had a handful of licenses, but only individual teams)
it was good, and probably better than fifa, but it always undersold fifa

# 19 Cryolemon @ 08/21/13 05:01 PM
Quote:
it was good, and probably better than fifa, but it always undersold fifa
True. FIFA '04 was dreadful. IIRC PES 2 (or maybe 3) got quite close to FIFA in sales though.

# 20 XXstormmXX @ 08/21/13 05:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMChrisS

ESPN's Kristi Dosh wrote an extensive piece on how much schools make from EA Sports each year while also throwing in a few nuggets about other properties and their status with the game. Among them, one of Dosh's sources claims that he/she has "very serious doubts" about if the Playoff will end up licensing to EA for next year's game.

This doesn't mean, however, there won't be a playoff in the game -- just the official branding and such that goes with it might not be there. The news is the same for Bowl games, as some haven't decided on inclusion yet. So instead of the Chick-Fil-A Bowl you'd get a bowl called the Atlanta Bowl or something like that.

Another thing Dosh pointed out in the article, as have I in the past couple of weeks, that the amount of money most schools make on the EA games is generally less than 5% of their total licensing revenue. Some schools saw their licensing numbers from EA down in the less than 2% range of total licensing revenue. A careful study of these figures, especially for private institutions, would likely give some indications about which schools might be able and willing to discontinue their license with EA Sports in the future.

It is likely schools could end their relationship with EA Sports at any time, as the finances for getting out of a current contract are likely reasonable enough that such a jump would be easy to make, especially if a university feels they may be on the hook for millions from future lawsuits by being involved in future games.So while all but one school appears to be in next year's game -- that doesn't indicate that schools won't jump in the future. Arkansas, Kentucky, and Washington are just three schools which have indicated they are on the fence about participating in future EA Sports games.

Also, while reports were contradictory on the status of the SEC a couple of weeks ago, Dosh clears that up by saying the SEC will appear in one more game to fulfill their current contract with EA. After that, the SEC has decided not to include their marks in the game.
Again, EA will use fake names for any unlicensed content.

« Previous12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.