Home
NBA 2K14 News Post

Check out the latest NBA 2K14 video (via shaky-cam from Gamescom) featuring 9 minutes of action between the San Antonio Spurs and Miami Heat.

Game: NBA 2K14Reader Score: 6.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS3 / PS4 / Wii U / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 98 - View All
NBA 2K14 Videos
Member Comments
# 61 Barbatrucco @ 08/25/13 03:01 AM
I was very critical when i'have seen the Euroleague video gameplay, you know my comments about it. But here i'm more optimistic.
First of all, the smooth. Players and gameplay are really really really smooth, very fluid. And there are no more those ubeareble players bump when the players collide when the ball is stop. For me the players bumps collide ruined a lot Nba 2K13

# 62 Da_Czar @ 08/25/13 06:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkWilliam
Well obviously I haven't played the game......

I have seen the videos of course. Lets take this one for example (and my gripe here is spacing to be clear);

0:27 - Parker should have cut directly to the basket
3:07 - Green should have stayed in the corner. Also, the spacing in general on this possession (by the CPU CONTROLLED Spurs) is just plain BAD
3:54 - Chalmers, again stay put in the corner
5:25 - Cole has lost his mind and decided the crowding the paint while Anderson is trying to score is a good idea....what is he doing!?!?
Following Spurs possession - Again, just plain bad spacing. I count 3 guys with 4 feet of each other on the perimeter

So yes, I have seen this vid. And every other one. My point is, I read of spacing fixes. I don't see them......

Snippet from DaWolf's great hands on yesterday
"Another thing I didn’t see a lot of improvements in was the floor spacing. You can tell that they were trying to address the issue (which has plagued the series for years) and the faster passes and jump shots did help a bit – but the main problem with help defense being too one-dimensional and defensive recovery being too quick still exists. Also the teammate AI doesn’t space the floor well enough when penetrating. On one occasion I had Parker of the spurs on Chris Bosh in the post & paint and no Spurs player came to help."
I have also played the game and my experience was a little different. There are also people who have watched video's and say they spacing seems improved.

The problem is that in a real game spacing get's messed up all the time but people expect that. In a video game one guy doesn't do what you want ALL the time and we proclaim spacing is bad.

There are actual NBA sets where guys are not all exactly 15 feet apart. LOL basketball can be ugly sometimes.

Here is another issue IMO. Some people what the AI teammates always moving and always cutting and never standing still. They consider that great spacing.

Others want the AI constantly maintain 15 feet separation and let them create and play off of them.

These ideas are at odds with each other so one person's see's spacing and another person feels like hey there is not enough cutting for visa versa.

The system to create spacing is in there and it was adjustable when I played how i played it seemed to work nicely.

Also I'm sure there are just as many examples of good spacing that one could point out but if were wanting the AI to be perfect then there will always be (in this game anyway) examples where it could be better. That does not mean it has not been improved.

Now either they messed it up after I left LOL, or something else is going on.

# 63 tril @ 08/25/13 07:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkWilliam
I'm sorry but I need to get this off my chest.... is this how it went down?

2k Sports Studio (post release of 2K13).

Ok back to work lads - we need to finalize the control stick how we wanted - now the pro stick.

Next, we HAVE to improve the defense (this means adding blocks - nothing to do with actual strategic improvements) New animations and mo-capping starts for this....

Then, we want to add a new mode - Path to Greatness.... bring back Crew also.

Ok what else for profits....? Oh I know, we need more sales in Europe. Euro League, YOU'RE IN!

Ok and we're done!!

"But sir, we forgot the spacing issues"

OH CRAP! Well we better just say we've fixed it or no one will buy it......

Now I want to be clear that I really REALLY appreciate 2Ks existence and the hard work they do. But one cant help but wonder who is putting the items on their big black board of priorities these days....

End result, here we are today.... watching vids like this. Is this possible? We're at a point where saying it aint so wont even do.....we NEED to SEE that this isn't the case.....
is this next gen video? this video looks great to me. it looks very fluid. GO 2k!!!!

# 64 La Verite @ 08/25/13 07:59 AM
I like that the lean layup animation is gone. Parker did actual layups around the defender.

# 65 jtswag187 @ 08/25/13 08:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Czar
I have also played the game and my experience was a little different. There are also people who have watched video's and say they spacing seems improved.

The problem is that in a real game spacing get's messed up all the time but people expect that. In a video game one guy doesn't do what you want ALL the time and we proclaim spacing is bad.

There are actual NBA sets where guys are not all exactly 15 feet apart. LOL basketball can be ugly sometimes.

Here is another issue IMO. Some people what the AI teammates always moving and always cutting and never standing still. They consider that great spacing.

Others want the AI constantly maintain 15 feet separation and let them create and play off of them.

These ideas are at odds with each other so one person's see's spacing and another person feels like hey there is not enough cutting for visa versa.

The system to create spacing is in there and it was adjustable when I played how i played it seemed to work nicely.

Also I'm sure there are just as many examples of good spacing that one could point out but if were wanting the AI to be perfect then there will always be (in this game anyway) examples where it could be better. That does not mean it has not been improved.

I think its just how horrible the user is, he's taking post fadeways with mario chalmers, however I dont know what difficulty that is but it looked realistic how he was getting blown out

# 66 TeeDogg @ 08/25/13 08:46 AM
Quote:

How does the new controls/shooting mechanics feel? After you get used to it does was it an improvement?

# 67 alabamarob @ 08/25/13 08:46 AM
Quote:

I consider myself to be a nitpicker when it comes to 2k basketball. I don't like how fast players are chaining dribble moves together (Danny Green), however the spacing looks fine to me. Additionally, the paint contact and hands up defense effectivness also look good. If 2k14 has paint contact, better defensive rebounding, better defensive rotations, realistic shot blocking and proper off ball defensive movement/ positioning then it will be a basketball sim (great game). I have seen everything I am looking for in the vids except the rebounding, and I think the rebounding issue was an off ball defensive positioning problem in 2k13, which I don't see in these vids.

# 68 TheKasmar @ 08/25/13 08:59 AM
The user was probably shocked that he couldnt just throw any shot or pass that he wanted and constantly get bailed out. A new/casual user should struggle a bit. In 2k13, a majority of those long passes would have connected. Jumpshots seem to have quicker releases given how the user held the shot stick/button late on several attempts or he was just that out of sorts.

# 69 Vni @ 08/25/13 09:05 AM
Watch how Tony comes off the screen sprinting on that baseline inbound play at 0.40.

In 2K13 he would have jogged around.

# 70 Vni @ 08/25/13 09:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mauro78
@4:15 Love the series of hesitation with the ball of LJ6...
Looked great. And then the kickout... Looked really LBJ like.

# 71 Da_Czar @ 08/25/13 09:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeDogg
How does the new controls/shooting mechanics feel? After you get used to it does was it an improvement?
It feels really good. To me it's Mike's finest creation yet and this was the best combination of shot stick and right stick dribbling I have played. I don't think he needs to change this again. I am sure he can make some improvements here or there ( more play time will reveal that) but as far as completely changing it from this config ? I don't think that will be necessary.

# 72 Bawstun @ 08/25/13 10:00 AM
What was Parker doing at 0:31?

# 73 ffaacc03 @ 08/25/13 10:34 AM
Without going into specifics Da-Czar, have you played a next gen build ? And if so, did it really draw your attention besides graphics ? Again, dont need specifics, dot want you to get into trouble, as we will get them around octuber I guess.

Also, since you have been related to the development process, do the next gen consoles really enhance and ease the adding of more content ? like more tendencies, ratings, sliders, settings, animations, signature, playbooks, sounds, modes, etc ?

Momentarily, could we finally be in for just adding to the game instead of taking things out or doing exchanges, based solely on memory space (ram & hard drive) ? Given that the 2 next gen consoles are now featuring blue ray discs, more than quadruple the amount of ram and other features, one could guess 2K could really put more content, but leaving aside 1 year cycles and getting used to new technology, have they been/were (I assume they would eventually be) able to do so ?

All these questions arise in relation to the prospect of accomplish some of the things cited on this thread: http://www.operationsports.com/forum...miss-most.html and on this post: http://www.operationsports.com/forum...post2045089338

Sorry for derailing the thread a bit and would understand if an answer cant be given due to the uncertainty surrounding the nature of my post.

# 74 alabamarob @ 08/25/13 10:43 AM
It looks like the defenders have to gather before they can jump to contest on a closeout. This will help eleviate closeout recovery issues. Even though i hope 2k14 allows us to drive by a sprinting defender on closeouts, the fact that it takes time for the defender to jump and contest is good for realism

# 75 NINJAK2 @ 08/25/13 12:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gman 18
It looks like the same one from 2k12 and 13 unfortunately...
not the same one. he has box cut. looks like they tweaked gino,tiaggo,&bonner as well.chalmers got slightly tweaked too.

# 76 TeeDogg @ 08/25/13 12:07 PM
Quote:
It feels really good. To me it's Mike's finest creation yet and this was the best combination of shot stick and right stick dribbling I have played. I don't think he needs to change this again. I am sure he can make some improvements here or there ( more play time will reveal that) but as far as completely changing it from this config ? I don't think that will be necessary.
sounds good, I was a little concerned but I trust your opinion.

# 77 Chocolate Chip @ 08/25/13 03:17 PM
1:00 how did Chalmers make that shots?!?!
1:32 Mario should have called for a backcourt violation
3:53 looks like they fixed the up and under chesse

# 78 rbfn04 @ 08/25/13 03:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chocolate Chip
1:00 how did Chalmers make that shots?!?!
1:32 Mario should have called for a backcourt violation
3:53 looks like they fixed the up and under chesse
1:00 luck
1:32 he was called
3:53 yep!

# 79 8and9 @ 08/25/13 04:48 PM
Glad to see to some gameplay videos but you can never get a great feel of the game with someone bad on the sticks.

# 80 Beluba @ 08/25/13 05:06 PM
Quote:
appreciate it, Czar. And yes... I plan to keep the Pro Stick, as it is in 2K14, in tact for several years to come. With the obligatory annual refinements of course.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.