Home
Pro Evolution Soccer 2014 News Post

PES European Community Manager, Adam Bhatti has confirmed PES 2014 will not have a stadium editor or rain implemented in the game this year.

Due to exclusive agreements with EA, many of the major European stadiums, including all of the Spanish stadiums have been removed. Since the news came fairly late to the PES team, roughly 20 stadiums will be available when the game ships.

How does this impact your decision on purchasing the game?

Game: Pro Evolution Soccer 2014Reader Score: Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 0 - View All
Pro Evolution Soccer 2014 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 tril @ 08/29/13 12:45 AM
IM STILL BUYING PES. THIS IS CLEARLY BECAUSE OF WHAT EA HAS DONE WITH MADDEN THIS YEAR!!!

# 22 kelvinmak @ 08/29/13 02:12 AM
Yeesh, bad news on both (or three, I guess) counts. Obviously the stadiums and the edit mode are big losses, but I dunno, while it doesn't sound like a big deal, I feel like the no rain thing is still a pretty significant omission as well. It has an impact on a lot of matches and I would've loved to be forced to adapt because of the elements.

And damn, now Blind Melon's stuck in my head.

# 23 Iceman87GT @ 08/29/13 02:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lord_mike
So, now stadiums get exclusivity? Maybe in Europe. The United States says that you can't trademark or copyright architecture. This is really amazing that it's gotten this far. Isn't there some sort of antitrust law somewhere that could do something about this?
have you seen their uniforms across all sports Ads are everywhere (you should see some of the Ice Surfaces in some of the European Hockey Leagues)? Anything and everything is for sale when it comes to professional sports in Europe.

I can't imagine that antitrust laws extend to stadium rights in video games, let alone that they would apply internationally

# 24 geisterhome @ 08/29/13 04:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman87GT
have you seen their uniforms across all sports Ads are everywhere (you should see some of the Ice Surfaces in some of the European Hockey Leagues)? Anything and everything is for sale when it comes to professional sports in Europe.

I can't imagine that antitrust laws extend to stadium rights in video games, let alone that they would apply internationally
you might understand it for (in europe) less popular sports like hockey but this ridiculous advertising is also present in european soccer, which should definitely create a lot of money even with ads being limited to some extent. EPL does a decent job of limiting it in their stadiums but look at other leagues, even in big german BL they got 3 advertising boards in many of the stadiums next to the pitch instead of one, well basically every free square meter is covered with some ad banners. For me that's just a lack of sports-culture in europe nothing else.

To the loss of stadiums in PES, it sucks i was planning to buy PES either this year or next mostly due to all the stadiums it contained. All spanish league, and now nothing . EA didnt even add any of those stadiums to their game, only camp nou. i really dont get it, did they just buy all the licences to prevent konami from using them cos they obviously arent making use of it themself.

# 25 willyfantastic @ 08/29/13 05:02 AM
how are people not getting more worked up that rain isnt in the game? something like that should be a given - if this was an EA game the outcry would be ridiculous (screw EA, will bring it back next year as a feature etc....)

this is complete madness, how on earth can Konami justify that........

# 26 ps3veron @ 08/29/13 05:28 AM
I don't get it, why no rain again? It is a big deal!

# 27 cashless @ 08/29/13 05:34 AM
So EA have the rights to all of the La Liga stadiums? I bet they'll still only put like five of them in Fifa 14.

# 28 cashless @ 08/29/13 05:37 AM
BTW, do Konami still have the exclusive on the Champions League license? I know they did for PES 2013.

# 29 Yeats @ 08/29/13 07:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by willyfantastic
how are people not getting more worked up that rain isnt in the game? something like that should be a given - if this was an EA game the outcry would be ridiculous
In FIFA I switch all my career mode games to 1 p.m. with clear skies before starting the match. I prefer the visuals of clear sunny days; even cloudy days make the visuals look bland, rain moreso obviously. That's why I'm not worked up. I get upset when games force us to play under specific conditions, and don't give us to option to change the time and weather to our liking.

# 30 Krebstar @ 08/29/13 08:16 AM
The lack of rain is due to the new engine. To me the excuse works, i mean its a whole new gameplay and graphics engine this year. If it plays like it looks like it will, then a lack of rain will not matter at all.

PES has always been gameplay first, and this year will be no exception. I'd love more stadiums and rain, but great gameplay (which seems likely) will make m forget about those things.

# 31 Simaofan-20 @ 08/29/13 09:47 AM
Woops, I opened up a thread with the exact same article lol

EA is clearly scared of PES. I hope PES doesn't eventually go away but lets face it a lot of people care about the liceses. I remember listneing to a review of FIFA vs PES, claimed PES was better graphically, better gameplay but FIFA was overall better because of LICENSES. Its unfortunate. I was even thinking about buying both this year but I'm passing again on EA for football for good. I don't want anything to do with this type of garbage.

I honestly hope that EA doesn't push PES out of the market because then that would mean just FIFA every year and it will go the exact same route that Madden has. Well to be honest, it always has started with the same game crap.

# 32 DBMcGee3 @ 08/29/13 10:26 AM
Meh, that sucks to hear but it's mainly the gameplay I'm interested in. I always leave the stadium selector on random anyway. EA is like the video game anti-christ though, there seems to be no level they won't sink to if it means they can give even the slightest edge to their annual catalog of recycled garbage. Only a matter of time until 2k and Konami put these clowns in their place (i hope).

# 33 Yeats @ 08/29/13 10:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBMcGee3
EA is like the video game anti-christ
Ha-ha! Last night after reading about the stadium fiasco on Evo-Web, I was thinking they're the Rolling Stones to Konami's Beatles. This is eerily reminiscent of Madden-NFL2K in 2004. 2K releases a landmark game and poof: gone forever the following year. And now, just as Konami appears to be altering the video football landscape with what looks like the sports sim of the century... Not good.

# 34 ty5oke @ 08/29/13 01:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Profit89
I would, for once, like EA to stop relying so much on exclusivity and actually produce good gameplay. and I say this with respect to all their franchises. It seems like their aim is always to stamp out competition as opposed to making a good game - even though they say they are doing the opposite.
Been a good working business model for them before, they have no reason to stop.

# 35 Tomba @ 08/29/13 02:42 PM
I have to say that Konami should have solidified licensing... They should have learned year after year i mean it not like the marketing team works on the graphics or the gameplay theyre job should have been to mke sure and solidify some more stadia?

EASports are the kings of this. With Fifa next gen i only see ONE thing happening more licensed stadiums and prettier graphics as said with gameplay it looks just like fifa 13 did on current gen. so easports isnt really doing anything gamplay wise they ahvent already

REALLY looking forward to PES 2014 still.

I think the gameplay will more than make up for it but pes should go the nfl 2k5 route and sell this game for 20

Konami sell pes2014 for 20 and youll be alright.

The majority of ppl NOT spending 60 are more likely to give you a try still for 20

# 36 rckabillyRaider @ 08/29/13 02:45 PM
this reminds me of the "Monday night wars" between wwe and wcw. Both of their products were top notch at the peak of the wars. Vince eventually wins and buys out wcw, changes his business model and the business hasn't been the same since. Sure he's still profiting a good amount but their ratings are not what they were when he had wcw as competition and the product is lacking now.

EA is profiting heavily but unfortunately for consumers, their product, specifically Madden is not what it used to be. It's possible FIFA goes down that route.

# 37 Krebstar @ 08/29/13 03:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rckabillyRaider
this reminds me of the "Monday night wars" between wwe and wcw. Both of their products were top notch at the peak of the wars. Vince eventually wins and buys out wcw, changes his business model and the business hasn't been the same since. Sure he's still profiting a good amount but their ratings are not what they were when he had wcw as competition and the product is lacking now.

EA is profiting heavily but unfortunately for consumers, their product, specifically Madden is not what it used to be. It's possible FIFA goes down that route.
The issue here is that FIFA sells like crazy across the world, as the sport itself is more popular globally.

I fear that for years, no matter the quality, FIFA will continue to sell like crazy.

# 38 rckabillyRaider @ 08/29/13 03:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krebstar
The issue here is that FIFA sells like crazy across the world, as the sport itself is more popular globally.

I fear that for years, no matter the quality, FIFA will continue to sell like crazy.
you're absolutely right. Just like Madden still sells like crazy. True sports gamers like here on OS , can clearly see the product flaws though. EA is content with that though. We're probably like .5 % of their buying population.

# 39 Tomba @ 08/29/13 03:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rckabillyRaider
you're absolutely right. Just like Madden still sells like crazy. True sports gamers like here on OS , can clearly see the product flaws though. EA is content with that though. We're probably like .5 % of their buying population.

Youre VERY VERY 120% right there

We're roughly about 25% of the Sports buying public actually

# 40 jr86 @ 08/29/13 03:59 PM
Just booted up 2013. Whichever download pack I have it has the choice of 68 stadiums!!!!
That is one hell of a dropoff....
As much as I dislike EA.....Business is business and Konami dropped the ball on this one.They really should have been locking up the spanish stadiums for years to come instead of trying to pull a fast one and expecting nothing to change.
I dread to think what will happen when the CL and Europa league licence come up for renewel....

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.