Home
NBA 2K14 News Post

On occasion, we tag Forum posts for the homepage at OS. This NBA 2K14 impressions, videos and Q&A thread is a prime example. See below to read JasonWilliams55 impressions, then continue into the comments for Q&A from him, as well as Lid, based off of their hands-on at the Vegas EXPO.

Sup y'all?

Let me start with some background then I'll dive into the questions from my original Vegas thread.

So I arrived at the EXPO with the other billions of people and finally made it over to the 2K booth were they had 8 stations setup with 2K14, all first quarter 6 minutes long and only Spurs v Heat, you could switch between teams though. The build itself was extremely basic, no PnR action, no Playcalling, broadcast cam, pro settings.

So I get there at 11am, play until 1230-1'ish when Ronnie and LD2K arrived, so I stopped playing (somewhat) and talked to them for the most part until PG arrived (115ish until 230ish iirc) PG thoroughly whipped Ronnie. After PG left, Ronnie was floating around the booth, LD2K was sitting in a chair where Lids (OS) and I had surrounded him and was picking his brain and just general chatting about all things 2K/NBA, future of, visions, etc... Very enlightening talk, Chris and Ronnie are both standup peeps, very down to earth (as Lids said), they believe in the product (not just business belief either) but truly want the best basketball sim (yes SIM) possible, but alas they are not the makers nor the directors. They both want to be as transparent as possible but they still have strings attached (so to speak) to them. Don't look into the 'strings' part, its the best wording I can think of this morning.

So back to the chatting, from 230 - 4ish it was LD2K (Chris), Lids and I, straight up, no one else. At 4-415ish, they had to get ready to leave, and so, by the graces of all things 2K, Lids and I were both invited to come hang while they spent their free time before having to leave for PAX (oh yeah, some info will be dropped there, so be ready for that). So from 415ish until 715, I was able to talk to Ronnie and Chris (unfiltered) (Lids had to bounce for a bit but made it back around 7) so it was literally Ronnie, Chris and me for roughly 3 hours. Alot of things were discussed, some I can talk about some I can't, so much intertwined that I feel for how the Czar has to choose his words when he posts.

On that 3 hours... we talked/discussed current gen, next gen, future of both, marketing for both, gameplay ideas, whats doable, what not, etc etc etc... but let me get straight to next gen since its very easy to talk about. I got no info on it, they would not discuss it, period, but, let me say, they were bursting at the seams wanting to talk about it, more so than a 300lb man at an all you can eat.

They were honestly giddy about next gen and what its gonna do, but at the same time they had that childish fever about it, they also didn't want to dismiss want current gen has to offer.

Man, there is a lot I want to say, but just can't quite say outright and will wait until after some more official things are said.

Current Gen (CG)

CG is the culmination of 2k11 - 2k13, the best of each one mashed together, ironed out, tuned and balanced on both sides of the ball. Even with the lame demo build that was there, it was smoother, cleaner and more polished feeling than 13, yes that noticeable even on the demo build.

The build Ronnie and PG played on, made the demo feel a year old, it was 10x smoother/cleaner than the demo build. It was played on PS3 throughout the EXPO, with no noticeable jaggies anywhere, that is how smooth it looked. I was surprised by that, since the PS3 versions have always had that noticeable lack of graphical quality than the Xbox versions, that was no longer apparent. But I also did not get to see a Xbox version either, so take that for what it is. Just know that 14 is not a 10x increase on graphics (they are maxed out of memory on CG) but it is cleaner and more polished looking.

Graphic wise I guess one COULD say 14 is NBA2K13.5, but I wouldn't worry about that aspect, 14 gameplay wise is >>>> 13.

So while 14 might look like 13, it definitely does not play like it.

Not gonna get into details quite yet, but will when I go through and answer the questions, that's where you'll find the meat and potatoes. And at the end of the q/a section, I will leave y'all with one MAJOR TEASE. Yes... yes... hate me now.

Game: NBA 2K14Reader Score: 6.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS3 / PS4 / Wii U / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 98 - View All
NBA 2K14 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 Optik @ 08/29/13 02:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lid
there are a few new foul animations, some over the back stuff. i saw when offensive player tried to step through, and the defensive player kinda went over his back and a foul was called.
What about when you get run over (usually after a defensive rebound by your team). I remember they used to call that in 2K12, but when I play Team-Up on 2K13 I get trampled on and my man doesn't get called for a foul.

# 22 TalenT @ 08/29/13 02:56 PM
Ok, nice job on the tease JW. After reading all that...the tease is all that I fixated on. My mind is wandering Lol

# 23 Vni @ 08/29/13 02:57 PM
Solid impressions. Thanks.

So 2K still has a major announcement to make... That's about current gen also or only for next gen?

# 24 Sundown @ 08/29/13 03:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vni

So 2K still has a major announcement to make... That's about current gen also or only for next gen?
I'm thinking next gen. It's consistent with the "Crews only on current gen" disclaimer if next gen gets something completely different.

Still, 2K marketing should get the paddle for how ominously that disclaimer is worded.

# 25 JasonWilliams55 @ 08/29/13 03:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffaacc03
Great JW !

Now, some Q´s:

- Any word on if we can, once again, pick whom to doubleteam with ? (Was told by LD2k that you can, I ask if that was what the double circles that pop up when DTing meant, he wasnt sure but will get back with the answer, I am sure when he gets time, he will fill in details)
- Any tips on if the new adaptive D AI would still preserve (or would it blurr) the distinct feel between bad, regular & good D teams ? I dont think its that complex yet, I was told that the will learn and adapt thru your tendencies. Hopefully lower ratings = less learning. Wait and see, hopefully with the dev diary vids it will be explained.
- Are there some news on if there is more customization/editing capabilities all around (offline/online) ?

P.S:
- In respect of the new mode, hope it is like a merged mode, something inspired within the lines of madden interconnected career, but applied solely to My player + Crews ... I mean, a mode were you create your my player and its career goes along with other my players (whatever amount, 30 ? more ?), where you can face/teamup with other my players, compete for draft spots, starting positions, minutes, etc ... were you could form rivalries or, once in FA, even agree to teamup with other my payers to try and form new big threes (or 4, or 5 ) and things alike ... and since the next gen consoles are so oriented to tablets (or Vita) and streaming and such, maybe an option for a user to act solely as a coach and dictate plays and such ? Thus am not sure about wanting this last part tho. I would prefer that GMs/coaches only interact vs other GMs/coaches instead.

To me, as fun as those modes are, my player and crews are secondary modes to association, but if something like this would be made, I would put a ton of time more into such a great mode ... JW, you have demolished my somewhat inline expectations, you have hyped me more than the released trailer ... lol.
that is all i can say right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillfeelme
For the tease!,

1. I will go for What is Connected online career multiplayer for $200 JWill?= Myplayer,+Crew+Mycareer multiplayer association.

2. The only other thing is like a fantasy draft association but you can select legends or current players.

3. Place a a legend team and play a season with them online. Create-a-association

Great Q and A man way to come through for the OS and good looking out to the 2K devs. They addressed virtually all my gameplay issues. This is not a patch or 2K13.5 will most definitely buy for current gen and next gen. I need to pick a console now for next Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by KwiLL23
How are the jump shot animations? Are they still slow and hitchy like some on 2k13 or are they smooth and at the top of the release like real life?
felt good, noticed no hitches or anything, lids feel free, did you notice anything? to me the jumpers were smooth, nothing felt lagged, meaning when i pressed the stick i got it immediately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am disappointed
HMMMMMM now when you say what if, is this something they plan on adding in the future or is this something that in it this year........
updated the tease to reflect better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am disappointed
Q: I know it was only one quarter but did it seem like fatigue was added this year or did you ask them about it ?
couldnt tell, sorry bro, and it didnt cross my mind.

# 26 ryantheplague @ 08/29/13 03:25 PM
damn. this thread has me more hyped than anything 2k has released so far. great job man.

# 27 JasonWilliams55 @ 08/29/13 03:25 PM
UPDATED OPs WITH 1ST VIDEO, 2ND ON ITS WAY.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalenT
Ok, nice job on the tease JW. After reading all that...the tease is all that I fixated on. My mind is wandering Lol
YOU ARE TELLING ME!... Ronnie was adamant about saying "JW" let them know exactly what I am saying... "There is a mode that will completely make you forget about CREW and MYPLAYER"... and I am all... yeah... and.... a little more info please... cause my mind did the same ish... went straight into 1000000 different directions. THIS APPLIES FOR BOTH GENS AS I UNDERSTOOD IT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vni

Thx. Cant say 100%, but I understood it as both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundown
I'm thinking next gen. It's consistent with the "Crews only on current gen" disclaimer if next gen gets something completely different.

Still, 2K marketing should get the paddle for how ominously that disclaimer is worded.
One of the biggest things I can stress, is DO NOT MAKE ASSUMPTIONS for either CURRENT or NEXT GEN in terms of what is IN/AVAIL/ETC.

# 28 Vni @ 08/29/13 03:28 PM
Maybe Ronnie was talking about GTA V and got it mixed up with Nba2K14. The guy might wants to hype other games too.

# 29 JasonWilliams55 @ 08/29/13 03:33 PM
FOR THE PC GUYS... I ASKED ABOUT WHICH VERSION YALL WOULD BE GETTING (YES THIS IS ALL CAPS, DEAL WITH IT, MUST BE SAID LIKE THIS)

PC, WILL NOT BE GETTING NEXT GEN

PC, WILL NOT BE GETTING CURRENT GEN

PC, WILL BE GETTING A HYBRID OF BOTH, THE BALANCE OF CG AND THE __________ OF NEXT.

That is all I know...

# 30 infam0us @ 08/29/13 03:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonWilliams55
FOR THE PC GUYS... I ASKED ABOUT WHICH VERSION YALL WOULD BE GETTING (YES THIS IS ALL CAPS, DEAL WITH IT, MUST BE SAID LIKE THIS)

PC, WILL BE GETTING A HYBRID OF BOTH, THE BALANCE OF CG AND THE __________ OF NEXT.

That is all I know...
Dat suspense. Tell me!!

# 31 Goffs @ 08/29/13 03:54 PM
Wait a hybrid of both? I'm a pc guy and it never crossed my mind to ask about the pc version since I just figured that its a port of the current gen. Good lookin out SWill! Now I'm curious at what they mean by hybrid...

# 32 mauro78 @ 08/29/13 03:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonWilliams55

That is all I know...
Thanks jwill for your impressions...that said I'm skeptical about PC version...it's always been a half price game (bought it every year since 2k10) ...so I just hope for just an updated 2k13....

There are no reasons to believe that 2k put an extra effort on the PC version of the game...that's just my 2 cents...

# 33 Goffs @ 08/29/13 04:03 PM
I would like to add that blank with graphics of next gen but with 2k14 gameplay. Kinda makes you wonder though, how different the next gen to the current one is. Whatever it is the PC version benefited from both versions....

# 34 MarvinOida @ 08/29/13 04:10 PM
That tease will make me wonder. Have you played the mode or is it just something you were told JWill?

Tap Tap Tapatalking away from my iPhone

# 35 infam0us @ 08/29/13 04:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goffs
I would like to add that blank with graphics of next gen but with 2k14 gameplay. Kinda makes you wonder though, how different the next gen to the current one is. Whatever it is the PC version benefited from both versions....
Would be surprising if we see that. EA said they were still going to use the current gen games for their FIFA PC version. Curious to see if 2k actually goes half current and half next.

As long as they keep on releasing NBA 2k games on PC I'll be happy. Hoping they take the WWE franchise to PC as well.

# 36 Deck @ 08/29/13 04:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by infam0us
Would be surprising if we see that. EA said they were still going to use the current gen games for their FIFA PC version. Curious to see if 2k actually goes half current and half next.

As long as they keep on releasing NBA 2k games on PC I'll be happy. Hoping they take the WWE franchise to PC as well.
You know next gen has an architecture similar to the PC, and games are made on a PC so I guess they can bring us something good after all. If that's the case I'll buy the PC version because I can't decide between PS3/PS4 (I still have so many content to play on my ps3 that I feel I don't need a Ps4 right now, only 2k14 would make me change my mind).

# 37 JasonWilliams55 @ 08/29/13 04:34 PM
Updated OPs with 2nd video. Aight I am out to lunch right now.. Will check back when I get back.

# 38 infam0us @ 08/29/13 04:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deck
You know next gen has an architecture similar to the PC, and games are made on a PC so I guess they can bring us something good after all. If that's the case I'll buy the PC version because I can't decide between PS3/PS4 (I still have so many content to play on my ps3 that I feel I don't need a Ps4 right now, only 2k14 would make me change my mind).
I know that but I'm looking at the 30 dollar price and it seems strange to me that they would provide some next gen qualities to the PC for half the price.

# 39 Deck @ 08/29/13 04:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by infam0us
I know that but I'm looking at the 30 dollar price and it seems strange to me that they would provide some next gen qualities to the PC for half the price.
We don't know the PC price ATM (at least I couldn't find it on Steam), they might charge a bit more, but from what I seen on PC features on their facebook post it will be a striped down version (less gamemodes).

# 40 infam0us @ 08/29/13 04:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deck
We don't know the PC price ATM (at least I couldn't find it on Steam), they might charge a bit more, but from what I seen on PC features on their facebook post it will be a striped down version (less gamemodes).
Amazon and Gamestop have it at 30.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.