Home
NBA 2K14 News Post

On occasion, we tag Forum posts for the homepage at OS. This NBA 2K14 impressions, videos and Q&A thread is a prime example. See below to read JasonWilliams55 impressions, then continue into the comments for Q&A from him, as well as Lid, based off of their hands-on at the Vegas EXPO.

Sup y'all?

Let me start with some background then I'll dive into the questions from my original Vegas thread.

So I arrived at the EXPO with the other billions of people and finally made it over to the 2K booth were they had 8 stations setup with 2K14, all first quarter 6 minutes long and only Spurs v Heat, you could switch between teams though. The build itself was extremely basic, no PnR action, no Playcalling, broadcast cam, pro settings.

So I get there at 11am, play until 1230-1'ish when Ronnie and LD2K arrived, so I stopped playing (somewhat) and talked to them for the most part until PG arrived (115ish until 230ish iirc) PG thoroughly whipped Ronnie. After PG left, Ronnie was floating around the booth, LD2K was sitting in a chair where Lids (OS) and I had surrounded him and was picking his brain and just general chatting about all things 2K/NBA, future of, visions, etc... Very enlightening talk, Chris and Ronnie are both standup peeps, very down to earth (as Lids said), they believe in the product (not just business belief either) but truly want the best basketball sim (yes SIM) possible, but alas they are not the makers nor the directors. They both want to be as transparent as possible but they still have strings attached (so to speak) to them. Don't look into the 'strings' part, its the best wording I can think of this morning.

So back to the chatting, from 230 - 4ish it was LD2K (Chris), Lids and I, straight up, no one else. At 4-415ish, they had to get ready to leave, and so, by the graces of all things 2K, Lids and I were both invited to come hang while they spent their free time before having to leave for PAX (oh yeah, some info will be dropped there, so be ready for that). So from 415ish until 715, I was able to talk to Ronnie and Chris (unfiltered) (Lids had to bounce for a bit but made it back around 7) so it was literally Ronnie, Chris and me for roughly 3 hours. Alot of things were discussed, some I can talk about some I can't, so much intertwined that I feel for how the Czar has to choose his words when he posts.

On that 3 hours... we talked/discussed current gen, next gen, future of both, marketing for both, gameplay ideas, whats doable, what not, etc etc etc... but let me get straight to next gen since its very easy to talk about. I got no info on it, they would not discuss it, period, but, let me say, they were bursting at the seams wanting to talk about it, more so than a 300lb man at an all you can eat.

They were honestly giddy about next gen and what its gonna do, but at the same time they had that childish fever about it, they also didn't want to dismiss want current gen has to offer.

Man, there is a lot I want to say, but just can't quite say outright and will wait until after some more official things are said.

Current Gen (CG)

CG is the culmination of 2k11 - 2k13, the best of each one mashed together, ironed out, tuned and balanced on both sides of the ball. Even with the lame demo build that was there, it was smoother, cleaner and more polished feeling than 13, yes that noticeable even on the demo build.

The build Ronnie and PG played on, made the demo feel a year old, it was 10x smoother/cleaner than the demo build. It was played on PS3 throughout the EXPO, with no noticeable jaggies anywhere, that is how smooth it looked. I was surprised by that, since the PS3 versions have always had that noticeable lack of graphical quality than the Xbox versions, that was no longer apparent. But I also did not get to see a Xbox version either, so take that for what it is. Just know that 14 is not a 10x increase on graphics (they are maxed out of memory on CG) but it is cleaner and more polished looking.

Graphic wise I guess one COULD say 14 is NBA2K13.5, but I wouldn't worry about that aspect, 14 gameplay wise is >>>> 13.

So while 14 might look like 13, it definitely does not play like it.

Not gonna get into details quite yet, but will when I go through and answer the questions, that's where you'll find the meat and potatoes. And at the end of the q/a section, I will leave y'all with one MAJOR TEASE. Yes... yes... hate me now.

Game: NBA 2K14Reader Score: 6.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS3 / PS4 / Wii U / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 98 - View All
NBA 2K14 Videos
Member Comments
# 101 Steve_OS @ 08/30/13 01:16 AM
Appreciate the impressions, videos, Q&A and suspense White Chocolate. A nice elbow pass in your direction sir.

# 102 Da_Czar @ 08/30/13 01:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Optik
We already have that in 2K13, I use it a lot in MyTeam when in transition. Plus, there's about 4 transition plays in the game, spread between one of the classic Bulls teams (97-98 I think) and the '98 Spurs. You can tell they're transition because they contain the word 'EARLY' and the starting place for the place is just a few feet away from the half-court line. The plays with picks have the picks really high as well.
I would say having a play is quite different than having a system that runs it (In reference to your great eye again on the early plays in playbooks). What you see in 13 would be ver .5 and good eye most people didn't catch that.

It wasn't ready for prime time so the decision was made to remove all references to it but leave it active for anyone who was able to see it a read it.

in 14 its probably like ver 2.0 but you didn't hear that from me.

# 103 quehouston @ 08/30/13 01:30 AM
Everything looks so fluid, contact in the paint is there. I'm really trying to resist the urge to buy this game, because I already promise myself to just hold out until next gen. But 2k is forcing my hand here.

# 104 poloelite @ 08/30/13 01:53 AM
In my long post I forgot to mention the new control system has a nice learning curve to it, threw mad fancy passes trying to shoot, but once you get it it's gold. Chris/LD2K went into the thinking behind it and it makes real basketball sense. Last year you would have to switch to pull the trigger after getting past the defense which would cause a very very brief delay. May not have been a big deal, but with the improved defense and the virtual stick chess match, it's imperative to keep your momentum and advantage. I was able to break down Chalmers with Parker on an in and out cross ball ended in my left hand and go right into a left hand scoop layup. I hope my description can create the right visual, but to see it was a thing of beauty. Cause of my stick awareness I put the defense at a great disadvantage for gambling.

Another HUGE thing I noticed was offensive rebounding was pretty spot on. I saw Splitter and Duncan crash the glass and little to no instances of them acting as if the ball had a contagious rash after it came off the rim. For the most part it seemed that my teammates spaced the floor well and offered picks if I stood idle for a second.

It really seems like they took some of the awesome slider sets here and balanced the game accordingly. Graphics were pretty much the same, but the clarity, crispness and overall gameplay mechanics makes it smoother and more realistic.

Definitely must state what my bro Lid and JWill have said, no contracts were signed. We did however not bite our tongues with any questions and they were real and honest about what they could discuss now. Whatever they're planning for next gen seems to be an epic power move that will have us all owning both titles (cant believe I said that and actually believe it) current gen and next 2k14.

# 105 Coach2K @ 08/30/13 02:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffaacc03
The 2nd video is just pure gold, from both, cpu and user execution. Might seem unrelated, but it was as if the better (more sim) the user plays, the better the AI is showcased.
Great comment.

# 106 Barbatrucco @ 08/30/13 02:40 AM
I CAN'T BELIEVE. 2K spoke about 3000 new animations and then make a Ginobili's shot like that at 7:07 of the second video? We are speaking about a great player of the last decade, and you give to Ginobili a shot animation like that?
It annoys me that 2K has spent days and days working on the exultation of that Ken Bezemore (sorry but ... who!?!?) And then being so shallow in building the shot Manu Ginobili.
For the rest, 2K14 is the game of a fantastic smooth: this is what i dream when i was in 2K11. I will buy 2K14 current gen because I'm european and finally there are my Euroleague idols. But, please, fix that shot by Ginobili! IT'S ORRIBLE.

# 107 supimryan @ 08/30/13 02:52 AM
great thread. I was unimpressed by the trailer but these gameplay videos bring my confidence back. the animations look super smooth

# 108 ataman5 @ 08/30/13 03:38 AM
Hey j,
I just want to say many thanks, you are one of the greatest contributers to this community. (Maybe i won't have to wait for your sliders to start my OA this year bcs of sim-built gameplay.)

I'm excited Overall and can't wait to get my hands on 2k14.

Thanks to Everyone who take time to share their impressions after playing.

# 109 MarkWilliam @ 08/30/13 05:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonWilliams55
I hear ya, I do, I pressed the issue for a minute trying to get details, all they kept hinting at was, look around at the tech nowadays. Thats it.

There is a feature that is gonna be really cool, I dunno much about it, but it change the way we (as a community) view/access things. Hmmm... not sure if that sounds right, but I will leave it at that, as I dunno too much about it, just vague talk hinting around the feature. I am assuming that this is a separate feature than the teaser.
I could be WAAAAY off, but this sounds like its mobile/tablet related..... "view/access things".......

# 110 Gramps91 @ 08/30/13 06:53 AM
Great stuff. Can't wait for the demo. I think I've decided to get current gen. Maybe for Christmas though. I usually get it on launch day but I've got so many games I want to get and limited funds.

# 111 KyotoCarl @ 08/30/13 08:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkWilliam
I could be WAAAAY off, but this sounds like its mobile/tablet related..... "view/access things".......
That wouldn't really be a mode though and it certainly wouldn't blow people away.

# 112 KyotoCarl @ 08/30/13 08:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by quehouston
Everything looks so fluid, contact in the paint is there. I'm really trying to resist the urge to buy this game, because I already promise myself to just hold out until next gen. But 2k is forcing my hand here.
I was first thinking about just getting the next gen version but when 1 October gets here and I know there's a new 2K available, how can I continue to sit out another 2 months without playing it

# 113 Goffs @ 08/30/13 08:26 AM
The secret mode is a first person mode with Oculus Rift!

something like this!

No need to go outside anymore

# 114 MarkWilliam @ 08/30/13 08:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KyotoCarl
That wouldn't really be a mode though and it certainly wouldn't blow people away.
I'm going to be as daring as to say this isn't really a mode either.... haha. But one could possibly interpret modes that could be made of such a feature...further to this, JasonWilliams outlined how this is probably separate to the BIG new mode.....

I too would not be blown away..... lest we forget the biggest announcement in 2K history last season.....

*cough* Jay Z *cough*

Fair enough it was, but blown away? We weren't....

Back on topic, thanks JasonWilliams55 for your hard work and impressions! Very good reading! The vids were as good as possible for the build being show cased too I think. Things looking very positive for 2K this year!

# 115 j3nkins29 @ 08/30/13 08:42 AM
I was planning to only get the next gen version of the game, but after reading the impressions and seeing that second video I may end up getting both the current gen and next gen version of NBA 2k14 as well.

# 116 MarkWilliam @ 08/30/13 08:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KyotoCarl
I was first thinking about just getting the next gen version but when 1 October gets here and I know there's a new 2K available, how can I continue to sit out another 2 months without playing it
Agreed! How can one possibly hold out 45 odd days or something knowing there is a NEW 2K on retail shelves!?!??!?

Can't be done....

# 117 kevmasood @ 08/30/13 08:59 AM
I wanna give a BIGUP to JWILL55, u did a great job, u was very detailed in your description of 2k14, this info will hold us lol, until 2k drop some more news, the vids u can tell this is gonna be a good game, the AI seems much smarter on DEFENSE , they was closeing in, in the paint, moving much . much better, It will be much harder , when u play real skilled sim players, to score 2 points, and 3 ponts, and that how it should be, so once aain THANK U SO MUCH, for your detailed info, Thanks to LID, and his little BRO. gave us good 2k information, cuz we know the game is already better..

# 118 Vni @ 08/30/13 09:17 AM
I might be the only one but I ain't too blown away by theses vids. Some good things here and there but as a whole it doesn't flow that well to me.

I might need to play the game to get a good feel for it.

Anything that bothered you while playing the game Jwill? What's your overall impression now a day later?

By the way, how was moving around the permiter? Did you feel really free or where you fighting animations?

# 119 Optik @ 08/30/13 09:35 AM
Something that I picked up on whilst watching the longer video: there's a nice change of speed by LeBron around 7:15, where he's upright in transition, see's an opening and blows right by Duncan. That looked better than it has done before. In 2K13, you would probably need a wider angle to go around Duncan(If you weren't in the 2-player animation).

JWill, how did you feel about the audio?

# 120 blues rocker @ 08/30/13 10:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by blues rocker
yeah, i didn't like that either. i assume you're talking about the 1:37 mark in this vid below.

at the 1:37 mark: Chalmers is running right into Leonard as Leonard gathers for a dunk, but the dunk gather is unstoppable and there is no contact...the dunk gather should've blended into a "ride/layup" animation instead of a dunk.

looks like dunk gathers are still resistant to contact. Chalmers was directly in his path as he left his feet. Chalmers should've bumped him as he left his feet and cut him off from continuing for the dunk....instead Chalmers does the dreaded "Mario run" where he runs in place against Leonard's body as if on a treadmill. "Mario running" is so last gen. I'm ready for some real-time physics in next gen.

hopefully these types of situations will be fixed by adding a real-time collision system in the next gen....then real physics will determine everything and we won't have to deal with the game ignoring collisions like this
haha...i just realized that MARIO Chamlers was "Mario-running"...maybe Mario-running is a sig skill reserved just for Mario Chalmers

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.