Home
NBA 2K14 News Post

On occasion, we tag Forum posts for the homepage at OS. This NBA 2K14 impressions, videos and Q&A thread is a prime example. See below to read JasonWilliams55 impressions, then continue into the comments for Q&A from him, as well as Lid, based off of their hands-on at the Vegas EXPO.

Sup y'all?

Let me start with some background then I'll dive into the questions from my original Vegas thread.

So I arrived at the EXPO with the other billions of people and finally made it over to the 2K booth were they had 8 stations setup with 2K14, all first quarter 6 minutes long and only Spurs v Heat, you could switch between teams though. The build itself was extremely basic, no PnR action, no Playcalling, broadcast cam, pro settings.

So I get there at 11am, play until 1230-1'ish when Ronnie and LD2K arrived, so I stopped playing (somewhat) and talked to them for the most part until PG arrived (115ish until 230ish iirc) PG thoroughly whipped Ronnie. After PG left, Ronnie was floating around the booth, LD2K was sitting in a chair where Lids (OS) and I had surrounded him and was picking his brain and just general chatting about all things 2K/NBA, future of, visions, etc... Very enlightening talk, Chris and Ronnie are both standup peeps, very down to earth (as Lids said), they believe in the product (not just business belief either) but truly want the best basketball sim (yes SIM) possible, but alas they are not the makers nor the directors. They both want to be as transparent as possible but they still have strings attached (so to speak) to them. Don't look into the 'strings' part, its the best wording I can think of this morning.

So back to the chatting, from 230 - 4ish it was LD2K (Chris), Lids and I, straight up, no one else. At 4-415ish, they had to get ready to leave, and so, by the graces of all things 2K, Lids and I were both invited to come hang while they spent their free time before having to leave for PAX (oh yeah, some info will be dropped there, so be ready for that). So from 415ish until 715, I was able to talk to Ronnie and Chris (unfiltered) (Lids had to bounce for a bit but made it back around 7) so it was literally Ronnie, Chris and me for roughly 3 hours. Alot of things were discussed, some I can talk about some I can't, so much intertwined that I feel for how the Czar has to choose his words when he posts.

On that 3 hours... we talked/discussed current gen, next gen, future of both, marketing for both, gameplay ideas, whats doable, what not, etc etc etc... but let me get straight to next gen since its very easy to talk about. I got no info on it, they would not discuss it, period, but, let me say, they were bursting at the seams wanting to talk about it, more so than a 300lb man at an all you can eat.

They were honestly giddy about next gen and what its gonna do, but at the same time they had that childish fever about it, they also didn't want to dismiss want current gen has to offer.

Man, there is a lot I want to say, but just can't quite say outright and will wait until after some more official things are said.

Current Gen (CG)

CG is the culmination of 2k11 - 2k13, the best of each one mashed together, ironed out, tuned and balanced on both sides of the ball. Even with the lame demo build that was there, it was smoother, cleaner and more polished feeling than 13, yes that noticeable even on the demo build.

The build Ronnie and PG played on, made the demo feel a year old, it was 10x smoother/cleaner than the demo build. It was played on PS3 throughout the EXPO, with no noticeable jaggies anywhere, that is how smooth it looked. I was surprised by that, since the PS3 versions have always had that noticeable lack of graphical quality than the Xbox versions, that was no longer apparent. But I also did not get to see a Xbox version either, so take that for what it is. Just know that 14 is not a 10x increase on graphics (they are maxed out of memory on CG) but it is cleaner and more polished looking.

Graphic wise I guess one COULD say 14 is NBA2K13.5, but I wouldn't worry about that aspect, 14 gameplay wise is >>>> 13.

So while 14 might look like 13, it definitely does not play like it.

Not gonna get into details quite yet, but will when I go through and answer the questions, that's where you'll find the meat and potatoes. And at the end of the q/a section, I will leave y'all with one MAJOR TEASE. Yes... yes... hate me now.

Game: NBA 2K14Reader Score: 6.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS3 / PS4 / Wii U / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 98 - View All
NBA 2K14 Videos
Member Comments
# 161 Fnixon @ 08/31/13 08:09 AM
GODDAM what is that new mode!?

# 162 brian05fubu @ 08/31/13 08:22 AM
wasn't the white chocolate a huge supporter of the horrible blocking system in 2k13? what did you think of the new blocking system in 2k14? too much for you?

# 163 JJRuelz @ 08/31/13 08:37 AM
wow just wow that gameplay is phenomenal

# 164 JasonWilliams55 @ 08/31/13 08:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundown
Haha, it really can't be THAT hard to increase the active roster to 13. The most work I can think of is tweaking the substitution AI to handle that extra active slot.
I dunno, but I am sure it has to do with MEM available on CGs. Hence why I said NG expect it (15 fo sho) 14 maybe.

# 165 JasonWilliams55 @ 08/31/13 08:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian05fubu
wasn't the white chocolate a huge supporter of the horrible blocking system in 2k13? what did you think of the new blocking system in 2k14? too much for you?
I had no qualms with blocking in 13, as you could block people (obv. not dunks to the degree that we should be able to now), but for 13 I felt that it took more skill than button mashing in order to get blocks.

As for the time I got with 14, as said, you can clearly see the player tracking the ball, the hands weren't just wildly swinging, the hands were going at the ball, even if it was out of reach. The resulting action made the whole sequence look/feel that much more realistic.

During my few hours w/ the game I had a few blocks, one to the 'rafters', one pin (goaltend, iffy call) and a handful of blocks in/around paint on crowded shots and up-under type looking shots.

Aight y'all, I am out to the mountains for the next two days... just flew back from Vegas to Sactown and have a camping reservation I've been waiting on for some months. I'll holla when I get back and now that I am back home with my PC (instead of the tablet) I can type out much more clearly now.

# 166 deejay2 @ 08/31/13 12:06 PM
2k you dissapointed me. This game is like 2k13! You did every year some improvements but this year I see almost the same game like last year.

# 167 Goffs @ 08/31/13 12:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by deejay2
2k you dissapointed me. This game is like 2k13! You did every year some improvements but this year I see almost the same game like last year.
Let me guess you just watched the vids and didn't bother to read the impressions did you?

LOL looking at your past post you have the same complaints! At least you're consistent! :thumbsup:

# 168 Sinner @ 08/31/13 01:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by exposedaking
I hope the new mode is similar to connected franchise mode on madden.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2
What is connected franchise mode like? Don't get into Madden...has the Path to Greatness Lebron mode been officially announced yet to the public? If JW had seen the mode and is
saying that himself I would be more excited but Ronnie telling him that there is a mode that will make you forget about Myplayer and Crews gives me a little doubt that he may be talking about PTG Lebron mode....of course its his job to praise and help promote the game just saying.

Videos do look good and thanks to all for the answered questions, impressions etc

# 169 poloelite @ 08/31/13 06:26 PM
Quote:
I played the game man I have to disagree with you. Graphically it looks similar, but smoothness and balance wise, it has greatly improved

# 170 KyotoCarl @ 08/31/13 10:06 PM
Quote:
Read the impressions. Seems very polished and tuned to me.

# 171 Neoda2khead @ 08/31/13 11:46 PM
That play the AI performed at 3:10 after the wade steal was amazing . CPU is looking great . Hopefully my career gets customizable sliders and I'm really gonna enjoy this game

# 172 LM1213 @ 09/01/13 12:25 PM
I haven't seen it asked so I am going to ask. for anyone who has played the demo...since the pro stick dribles and shoots was there ever a time where you accidentally shot when you meant to dribble?

# 173 ingovals @ 09/01/13 01:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LM1213
I haven't seen it asked so I am going to ask. for anyone who has played the demo...since the pro stick dribles and shoots was there ever a time where you accidentally shot when you meant to dribble?
Yeah, this is what I thought when I read about the control schema. But I guess it hasn't been a problem as they do not mention it. If it's intuitive like they mention I'm happy as I didn't like that Left Trigger modifier thingy, missed to many fastbreaks online as I failed to press the left trigger and started using X button almost exclusively.

JW or Lid (or anyone else who have tried the game) any opinions?

# 174 LM1213 @ 09/01/13 01:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ingovals
Yeah, this is what I thought when I read about the control schema. But I guess it hasn't been a problem as they do not mention it. If it's intuitive like they mention I'm happy as I didn't like that Left Trigger modifier thingy, missed to many fastbreaks online as I failed to press the left trigger and started using X button almost exclusively.

JW or Lid (or anyone else who have tried the game) any opinions?
yes..I've been wondering it for a little while. like, what if you hold it for just a little longer then you meant then you throw up a shot. it also makes me wonder when the game with break the animation from dribbling to shooting. in one of the vids Wade's turn around jumper look like it suffered from this. not a deal breaker, but deff wondering how the game determines the dribble to shot timing.

# 175 ingovals @ 09/01/13 03:57 PM
Quote:
yes..I've been wondering it for a little while. like, what if you hold it for just a little longer then you meant then you throw up a shot. it also makes me wonder when the game with break the animation from dribbling to shooting. in one of the vids Wade's turn around jumper look like it suffered from this. not a deal breaker, but deff wondering how the game determines the dribble to shot timing.
I found this review here on OS by DaWolf

This tidbit is in it:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaWolf
The new Pro Stick needs a little getting used to at first. I had some instances where I wanted to dribble but went up for the shot. Overall I liked this setting more than holding down LT for a shot or drive. There are a couple of nice new dribbling animations as well.

# 176 Sundown @ 09/01/13 04:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonWilliams55
I dunno, but I am sure it has to do with MEM available on CGs. Hence why I said NG expect it (15 fo sho) 14 maybe.
Would they have to rework the number of bench seats as well? I can see that as a bit more work than a few lines of code.

# 177 LM1213 @ 09/01/13 09:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ingovals
yeah, I've read that, but it doesnt really give a difinitive answer. but good looking out.

# 178 LM1213 @ 09/01/13 09:37 PM
Quote:
yeah, I've read that, but it doesnt really give a difinitive answer. but good looking out.
actually after paying more attention..it kinda does answer it. lol. I've noticed in the video the stamina seems to drain faster on turbo. It looks like they might not be able to use it all the way from one side to the other...maybe. probably can, but it looks like it drains pretty quick so I am hoping stamina will have a huge effect. I notice when green is running.

# 179 BDM313 @ 09/02/13 12:22 PM
Nice read and the videos were great.....as for the new mode this might the association fix we been waiting for with a twist...CANT WAIT!!!

# 180 poloelite @ 09/02/13 01:34 PM
Quote:
No sir I can say that never happened to me, but I through a crazy amount of fancy passes when I tried to shoot (LT+right stick).

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.