Home
NBA 2K14 News Post

Thanks to @DmanUnt2014 for the video footage and @IpodKingCarter for the images captured for details of the new NBA 2K14 Signature Skills listed below.

Chris Manning (@LD2K) also mentioned that the developers went in and tinkered with all of the original Signature Skills from last year, as they rebalanced and made sure they were more polished.

UPDATE: Just added all of the new NBA 2K14 Signature Skills screenshots, thanks to @LD2K.
  • LeBron Coast to Coast (Available for pre-orders)

Takes the ball coast to coast and finishes through contact. Speed, Quickness and Ball-Handling attributes are boosted 4 points and the shot penalty enforced for hitting a defender is decreased when taking the ball coast to coast on a fastbreak following a change of possession.

• One Man Fastbreak

A player known for his ability to take the ball coast to coast on a fastbreak. Speed, Quickness and Ball-Handling attributes are boosted 6 points if this player takes the ball from one end of the court to another on a fastbreak following a change of possession.

• Pick Dodger

A player that does not get caught up on screens very easily. He counters the Brick Wall Signature Skill, and when hitting a screen set by a regular player, the screen often fails to be effective.

• Tenacious Rebounder

This player is known for his relentlessness when going for rebounds. During rebound situations, he receives up to a 50% increase in winning boxout battles and poking balls loose on rebounds.

• Flashy Passer

This player is known for accurate flashy passes. When throwing a flashy pass, the penalty enforced will be reduced by up to 60%.

• Screen Outlet

A player who excels as the receiver in the pick & roll / pop game. If this player shoots immediately following a screen he set, he receives up to a 4 point boost to his shooting attribute.

• Pick & Roll Maestro

A ball-handler who excels at orchestrating the pick & roll. As the point man in a pick & roll, immediately following a screen this player receives a 3 point boost to his shooting attribute and is more accurate than most when passing to the screener.

NBA 2K14 screenshot gallery - Click to view NBA 2K14 screenshot gallery - Click to view NBA 2K14 screenshot gallery - Click to view NBA 2K14 screenshot gallery - Click to view NBA 2K14 screenshot gallery - Click to view NBA 2K14 screenshot gallery - Click to view NBA 2K14 screenshot gallery - Click to view
Game: NBA 2K14Reader Score: 6.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS3 / PS4 / Wii U / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 98 - View All
NBA 2K14 Videos
Member Comments
# 41 stillfeelme @ 08/30/13 08:47 PM
One Man Fastbreak

A player known for his ability to take the ball coast to coast on a fastbreak. Speed, Quickness and Ball-Handling attributes are boosted 6 points if this player takes the ball from one end of the court to another on a fastbreak following a change of possession.

Manu and Parker have this one. At least they have it in that demo version JasonWilliams55 played. I don't think you will be able to just constantly fastbreak or spam it. The players that have this will most likely have high speed, quickness, and ball handling ratings already. I can imagine Rose, Westbrook, Wall, Lawson, and Rondo having this too. They are already quick players anyway you probably will not notice a difference.

# 42 Rdub33 @ 08/30/13 08:47 PM
Lebron is a monster in the open court. 2k has to represent that in a SIM game. If kids online decide they want to push it every time to get cheap buckets.... That's not 2ks fault. Plus if u score that will nullify the whole thing lol

# 43 kmiree16 @ 08/30/13 08:49 PM
My problem with signature skills is that some of them seem...like they're just video game implementations instead of reflections of real life ball (as pretentious as that sounds). Like Floor General for example, CP3's teammates aren't magically better because he's on the floor. He "makes them better" (I hate that phrase btw) by doing things such as passing to them when they're in their spots, and hitting them in rhythm. Things like consoling them during timeouts, directing the offense. That's how he makes them better. But I guess that's a little harder to implement in a video game.

# 44 SHAKYR @ 08/30/13 09:00 PM
Not to sound selfish like some online gamers can be but I love this for my offline modes. Thank you 2K for thinking about the CPU AI for us offline gamers.

# 45 papaey @ 08/30/13 09:03 PM
Good read however players should have only their sig skill that they deserved! EG Haslem a defensive anchor??lol

# 46 arimamba @ 08/30/13 09:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmiree16
My problem with signature skills is that some of them seem...like they're just video game implementations instead of reflections of real life ball (as pretentious as that sounds). Like Floor General for example, CP3's teammates aren't magically better because he's on the floor. He "makes them better" (I hate that phrase btw) by doing things such as passing to them when they're in their spots, and hitting them in rhythm. Things like consoling them during timeouts, directing the offense. That's how he makes them better. But I guess that's a little harder to implement in a video game.
consoling them lol.... oh poor Blakey miss his free throws.. is ok Blake Dwight is still worse than you.

now on topic the thing is is impossible to have that on a videogame UNLESS you boost their stats.... but i agree... inst that what dimer is for? they should remove floor genera and defensive anchor should be coach based...

# 47 Coach2K @ 08/30/13 09:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vni
Adding signature skills isn't the answer.
I kind of agree with that. I guess it might depend on how you divvy them out.

Here's a breakdown of signature skills by team.

Heat 25
Thunder 25
Celts 23
Warriors 22
Clippers 21
Lakers 21
Twolves 21
Knicks 20
Bulls 19
Nuggets 18
Bucks 17
Nets 17
Spurs 17
Kings 15
Raptors 15
76ers 14
Grizzlies 14
Hawks 14
Rockets 14
Wizards 14
Blazers 13
Cavs 12
Jazz 12
Pacers 12
Hornets 11
Mavericks 11
Pistons 11
Suns 11
Bobcats 8
Magic 5

One of the things that I thought was unique about the idea of signature skills is that they would help you find ways to use the role players. More often than not, I think the bulk of the sigs are given to the stars.

It makes the tough teams which were already tough, tougher.

I look at the Pacers here with 12 sigs. It's warranted. I'm not saying that they deserve more, but with defensive signature skills basically contained in two players, when you are fighting ratings and as many as five sigs that a player might have, it does make it a bigger challenge.

I think a good step which probably have already thought of is "team" signature skills like:

1. Home court defender
2. Road win stealer
3. Stingy defense
4. Glass cleaners
5. Only plays in the fourth quarter

Stuff like that which might be more team oriented to bring more balance.

You could even extend that to arenas with great home courts and stuff as well as coaches too.

And how about some negative sigs like chokes under pressure at the line lol.

I think some of this stuff is already built into the game and shows in momentum swings.

Because the way it is set up kind of penalizes a team like the Pacers since they are so team oriented and the game is so individually oriented. It's hard to bring that out. At least I have a hard time with it.

# 48 Coach2K @ 08/30/13 09:11 PM
Another unique idea for team sigs would be earning them over the season instead of them just being given. So if you play association and go on a hot streak at home, you get a sig that makes you tougher at home from that point forward.

# 49 Rdub33 @ 08/30/13 09:15 PM
Lol @ negative sig skills. I like that coach. You could give Manu a turnover sig and lebron a scared of the big shot sig lol

# 50 Coach2K @ 08/30/13 09:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdub33
Lol @ negative sig skills. I like that coach. You could give Manu a turnover sig and lebron a scared of the big shot sig lol
Lol. Yeah you and I could make a long list of some negative signature skills I'm sure.

# 51 stillfeelme @ 08/30/13 09:32 PM
Coach,

I wouldn't be too worried about it. You guys will have better than average perimeter defenders and good to great post defenders. It would be good if there were coach ratings that went along with some other ratings that influenced some of the shooting percentages. I think they need one sig skill for paint protectors that influence shots without even jumping.

# 52 IowaAJ @ 08/30/13 09:50 PM
Lebron is unstoppable on the fast break so that is realistic in my opinion.

# 53 Sundown @ 08/30/13 09:57 PM
The Pick and Roll Maestro shouldn't get a shooting boost on picks. They may be great at timing the pass to the roll man but still be a horrible shooter (see Jeremy Lin).

Shooting off the pick and roll should just be based on the shoot off dribble rating because that's pretty much what it is-- unless there's some confidence boost one gets in rythnm off the pick.

Which begs the question-- what about guys who are great at using the pick to shoot but aren't exceptional roll passers (see Steph Curry)?

Also not sure I really like the Pick and Roll Screener's artificial shooting boost. Shouldn't the roller be a good finisher because, well, he's just a good finisher inside, is mobile, and has good hands? If anything, seems like Pick and Roll Screener should just mitigate the shooting penalties for finishing on the move after the screen and cut or be less likely to bobble passes from a Pick and Roll. I mean, a player is not going to be magically better at shooting just because they previously set a pick than if it was just a normal layup. The whole point of the Pick and Roll is to shed the defense for a less contested shot, so the skill should model the things that allow a good screener to do that-- and let the play play out once that happens.

Plus I've never had a problem finishing a pick and roll once I got the ball. The whole problem was completing the play without bobbing or getting the pass intercepted in the first place.

Maybe there are natural penalties in the Pick and Roll situation and the shooting boosts mitigate them but seems to me that it would be better to accurately model what makes a good Pick and Roll handler or screener rather than abstract it into simplistic shooting bonuses.

Excellent choice in splitting out Scrapper and Tenacious Rebounder.

Pick Dodge is a nice counter for Brick Wall.

Not sure why One-Man Fast Break is needed, since a player who has handles, speed, and quickness should just be able to do that naturally. Unless normal ratings are somehow meant to represent effectiveness/tendency in the half court only, which is still kind of weird.

Some of these Sig Skills are great, while others seem a bit contrived and inorganic. I really think they should focus on intangibles and conditionals that really can't be replicated with proper ratings and adjustments to their simulation engine.

Lebron's Coast To Coast seems overpowered, especially if he already has Finisher and it stacks. Does he really need more situational boosts, with his great ratings that already allow him to do what he does and more?

# 54 Sundown @ 08/30/13 10:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eman5805
Doesn't Lockdown Defender negate offensive sig skills anyway? Wanna stop the One Man Fast Break, counter with Iggy.
I'm rubbing my hands in anticipation.

There's actually a video where Iggy talks through his defensive philosophy and has a clip of him skillfully stopping Lebron's attack without fouling. He talks about how he knows he isn't going to get the charge call and just needs to make Lebron take an extra side step since he finishes worse that way.

# 55 njnets123 @ 08/30/13 10:22 PM
I've seen that video too, can't wait to use him in 2k

Sent from my ZTE V768 using Tapatalk 2

# 56 Rockie_Fresh88 @ 08/30/13 10:23 PM
Hopefully I can get better with the chase down skill this year .

# 57 dregos @ 08/30/13 10:44 PM
I would like to better understand what we would be missing if we don't pre-order to get the "Lebron Coast 2 Coast" signature.

Is this signature exclusive to Lebron James? What if we don't pre-order...is Lebron just not as good? If we do pre-order...Will there be drafted prospects with Coast 2 Coast signature? It seems very gimmicky.

# 58 MarvinOida @ 08/30/13 10:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dregos
I would like to better understand what we would be missing if we don't pre-order to get the "Lebron Coast 2 Coast" signature.

Is this signature exclusive to Lebron James? What if we don't pre-order...is Lebron just not as good? If we do pre-order...Will there be drafted prospects with Coast 2 Coast signature? It seems very gimmicky.
Highly doubt it.

Its gonna be like On Court Coach and Gatorade Pack, not gonna be accessible in stock without an roster editor.

Also, the Path To Greatness is the thing that can make me Pre order it, cause its Bonus Content for it, and I highly doubt that its movies or something, it feels like more classic teams or classic things.

Tap Tap Tapatalking away from my iPhone

# 59 Dr. Poe @ 08/30/13 11:22 PM
Team sigs sound good. This would really be good for things like home court advantage, or for teams like the spurs who have intangibles like playoff experience or battle tested. This will help to give more personality to teams. The Detroit "bad boys" could be a scrappy team that gives hard fouls.
If they did more team based sig skills, then it will lessen the one on one stuff by people who just want to dunk and play with lebron.

# 60 thedream2k13 @ 08/30/13 11:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by njnets123
I've seen that video too, can't wait to use him in 2k

Sent from my ZTE V768 using Tapatalk 2
As long as his shooting sucks I am down for it. He is way to good on offense in 2k13

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.