Home
FIFA 14 News Post

The FIFA 14 demo is available now for Xbox 360 users (queue it up here), weighing in at 1.5 GB. It is also available for PS3 users as of this afternoon.
  • 3 minutes per half (Non-adjustable)
  • You can set the difficulty (Professional, World Class, Legendary, Amateur, Semi-Pro)
  • You can set the game speed (Normal, Slow, Fast)
  • You can change the weather (Clear, Overcast, Rainy)
  • You can change camera angles
  • You can change gameplay sliders
Teams available in the demo are listed below.
  • FC Barcelona
  • AC Milan
  • Manchester City
  • Tottenham Hotspur
  • Paris Saint-Germain
  • Borussia Dortmund
  • Boca Juniors
  • NY Red Bulls
You can also try out FIFA Ultimate Team and practice some moves in the practice arena.

The demo for PC users was released last night, some impressions have been posted here.

UPDATE: The PS3 demo is available now (Outside of the US) - Still waiting for US demo release, most likely later this afternoon.

UPDATE #2: Was able to start downloading the PS3 version of the demo, so it's now available for Americans as well!

Game: FIFA Soccer 14Reader Score: 7/10 - Vote Now
Platform: iOS / PC / PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 16 - View All
FIFA Soccer 14 Videos
Member Comments
# 81 woody2goody @ 09/12/13 11:19 AM
I mentioned earlier that FIFA 14 feels like PES did a few years ago, and that's a great thing.

Having to really think about your attacking play and how to break a team down feels very good in this game, and the big, slow players feel much different to the Messis of the world.

You have to be really careful when sprinting with someone with lower ball control, especially against a great team who will be in the take the ball in a flash.

As for shooting, controlled shots seem spot on, but the regular shots are lacking a bit of power. Not a lot though, FIFA 13's shots were a tad too hard I thought.

# 82 VTPack919 @ 09/12/13 11:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by woody2goody
I mentioned earlier that FIFA 14 feels like PES did a few years ago, and that's a great thing.

Having to really think about your attacking play and how to break a team down feels very good in this game, and the big, slow players feel much different to the Messis of the world.

You have to be really careful when sprinting with someone with lower ball control, especially against a great team who will be in the take the ball in a flash.

As for shooting, controlled shots seem spot on, but the regular shots are lacking a bit of power. Not a lot though, FIFA 13's shots were a tad too hard I thought.
To say the least. Guys with shot power in the 60's could hit absolute crackers.

# 83 woody2goody @ 09/12/13 12:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTPack919
To say the least. Guys with shot power in the 60's could hit absolute crackers.
Yeah not to say they can't every now and again, but it seemed like too many guys were able to test keepers through sheer shot power.

# 84 DBMcGee3 @ 09/12/13 02:08 PM
I'm warming up to FIFA demo, much more than I expected to be, but at the end of the day I just prefer the wider variety of goals I'm getting with the PES demo. It just seems like, on FIFA, every time I shoot while in the box, it's a goal. I've had no less than 3 goals where the ball wasn't even struck particularly hard, and I was legitimately shocked when the keeper didn't get to them. It's also still a bit too easy to get behind the defense altogether, which is something you rarely see in PES, or real life footie for that matter. I'd say after playing the FIFA demo 8-10 times, that probably 70% of my goals have resembled an in-game penalty kick, where it's just me straight ahead vs the goalie.

I also don't like the feel of the passing in FIFA for whatever reason. I HATE the pass and shot meter being down in the corner of the screen, and sometimes I feel like even when I try to crush a pass, it still doesn't go particularly far or with as much pace as I'd like. I also find the passing animations to be a tad unrealistic, with far too many toe poke looking passes.

Still, it's a really good game and obviously it has plenty of well polished bells and whistles, I just don't find the game to be as engaging as PES.

# 85 ZenPancakes @ 09/12/13 02:14 PM
Hell yeah, thanks Orion, was waiting for one of you slider geniuses to throw up something. Great start, made it even more enjoyable

# 86 NightmareBooster @ 09/12/13 03:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBMcGee3
I'm warming up to FIFA demo, much more than I expected to be, but at the end of the day I just prefer the wider variety of goals I'm getting with the PES demo. It just seems like, on FIFA, every time I shoot while in the box, it's a goal. I've had no less than 3 goals where the ball wasn't even struck particularly hard, and I was legitimately shocked when the keeper didn't get to them. It's also still a bit too easy to get behind the defense altogether, which is something you rarely see in PES, or real life footie for that matter. I'd say after playing the FIFA demo 8-10 times, that probably 70% of my goals have resembled an in-game penalty kick, where it's just me straight ahead vs the goalie.

I also don't like the feel of the passing in FIFA for whatever reason. I HATE the pass and shot meter being down in the corner of the screen, and sometimes I feel like even when I try to crush a pass, it still doesn't go particularly far or with as much pace as I'd like. I also find the passing animations to be a tad unrealistic, with far too many toe poke looking passes.

Still, it's a really good game and obviously it has plenty of well polished bells and whistles, I just don't find the game to be as engaging as PES.
Are you playing with assisted controls or full-manual?

# 87 woody2goody @ 09/12/13 04:19 PM
I love PES and have played it since 2003, but that demo is like watching football in slow motion - very disappointing.

The ball physics are great there but this FIFA demo is how that game should have been.

# 88 orion523 @ 09/12/13 05:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenPancakes
Hell yeah, thanks Orion, was waiting for one of you slider geniuses to throw up something. Great start, made it even more enjoyable
Shot speed should probably go back down to 50, I was getting off 35yard screamers a bit too easily. Plus line length up to 44. It's only one click but it allows for just enough space.

# 89 dubcity @ 09/12/13 07:46 PM
Same old FIFA. I could give the same impressions/review for FIFA 12, 13 and 14:

- Looks beautiful. Player dribbling and movement is a joy to watch, atmosphere is brilliant, and the presentation is the best around.

- Defending is still a frustrating lottery, particularly in 1-on-1 situations when the CPU is in your 1/3. The lack of depth in defensive controls is unforgivable at this point. Do you "contain" and let the CPU pass around you for a clear shot on goal, or do you dive in with a tackle and risk a 1-on-1 with your keeper? We should be able to do much more than just tackle and contain - the "push pull" nonsense is so stupid and flawed that I don't even count it. The defending ruins the game.

- No fouls, and the impact engine still looks brutal 3 years in.

# 90 slthree @ 09/13/13 03:07 AM
I agree with Dub that the defending seems a little simple. I'd take it a step further and say the cpu gameplan also seems simple, or at least, seems similar for all teams, mostly a route 1 approach.

Someone mentioned they see similarities (perhaps in animations) between players, be they stars or not. Maybe I haven't played enough to see differences but in my short time, even poorly rated players seem to play very well and have the same movements/animations as stars

But, the game is really beautiful and the presentation is top shelf

# 91 Josam27o7 @ 09/13/13 04:35 AM
Bad news guys. It seems EA have updated the demo and the gamespeed now feels like it is on super steroids.

Anyone else notice this?

# 92 mac_rmm @ 09/13/13 07:43 AM
I think it's hard to tell until you see the whole game but there were things that I liked but it was also very frustrating to play as well and I could see myself hating it if things aren't tweaked.

Still no fouls on CPU - they can just tackle me however they want and steal the ball. They are perfect when tackling as well. Maybe I am just back at it but I can rarely get the ball off of them tackling because they seem to know exactly what I am going to do and move out of the way just in time, leaving me grabbing air.

I hate the fact that human AI continues to just stand around on defense and never goes to attack a ball unless you are controlling the player. The one or two times the CPU does make a bad pass, you see guys just standing there doing nothing and then the CPU ends up getting the ball back.

I see too many offsides plays in the demo on both sides. Don't know if anyone else is having this.

I haven't changed any settings so maybe it's on assisted passing, but I am sick of making passes to the other team when I am clearly pointing the stick in a different direction. The seemingly obvious pass is not made and a pass across the field on the ground through three defenders that gets stolen is made instead. I'm not sure why but it is frustrating.

Speed and pace still seemed to be rigged way too much for the computer. No matter who has the ball (and I've played with Spurs as Bale - can't think of many faster) and how many steps they have on the defender, the CPU inevitable recovers to knock the ball away. That frustrates me beyond end because it is unrealistic in many cases depending on the player.

We'll see what happens with the real game but right now I would say it's a crapshoot. Could be really good but it looks like some of the obvious errors from last year have yet to be fixed or addressed.

# 93 Yeats @ 09/13/13 08:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josam27o7
Bad news guys. It seems EA have updated the demo and the gamespeed now feels like it is on super steroids.

Anyone else notice this?
I haven't updated, but that's what happened last year. The demo came out and people were raving about the slow sim feel. Then the full game arrived and it was completely different; very fast in comparison to the demo.

# 94 RoyceDa59 @ 09/13/13 09:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeats
I haven't updated, but that's what happened last year. The demo came out and people were raving about the slow sim feel. Then the full game arrived and it was completely different; very fast in comparison to the demo.
Damn, this is just why I accepted the FIFA series is just not for me. I tried for the last three years to get back into the series and even tried the EA Sports Ticket Early Release and they have disappointed me every time. 'Tis a shame because they nail every thing from their flashy menus, deep licenses, to top notch presentation, and cool indie music. I know many of you guys work hard here to tweak the sliders and such but at the core this game is just not sim or even fun enough for me.

# 95 DBMcGee3 @ 09/13/13 09:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeats
I don't think the speed will be a huge deal since they at least offer 4 or 5 different game speeds to choose from. The real problems here for me are the boring CPU tactics and the horrible goal keepers. I could see the game being fun between friends, but in my opinion it just isn't fun or realistic playing against the CPU.

# 96 Yeats @ 09/13/13 09:13 AM
Quote:
I don't think the speed will be a huge deal since they at least offer 4 or 5 different game speeds to choose from. The real problems here for me are the boring CPU tactics and the horrible goal keepers. I could see the game being fun between friends, but in my opinion it just isn't fun or realistic playing against the CPU.
3 game speeds, but even on slow the default game is still too fast. That's been a problem with FIFA every year.
There is a CPU GK slider: set it to 100 and watch your hair disappear as you pull it out trying to score.

# 97 Yeats @ 09/13/13 09:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyceDa59
I know many of you guys work hard here to tweak the sliders and such but at the core this game is just not sim or even fun enough for me.
Royce, as a fellow Ontarian, I have to share with you that the FIFA 14 demo with gameplay edits to reduce speed and CPU cheating is the best game of sim football I've ever played. Don't give up. (You can give up on the Leafs though, that's understandable. )

# 98 Rensational14 @ 09/13/13 09:25 AM
Fifa vs online >>>> vs cpu

# 99 Yeats @ 09/13/13 09:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rensational14
Fifa vs online >>>> vs cpu
Playing with myself >>>>> playing with online idiots.
Not sure that came out the way I intended actually...

# 100 RoyceDa59 @ 09/13/13 09:38 AM
Quote:
I think that is where the game shines for majority of Fifa Players; online community and multiplayer. Hence why they are pushing FIFA Ultmate team even more.

Post A Comment
This thread has been closed for new comments.