Home
FIFA 14 News Post

The FIFA 14 demo is available now for Xbox 360 users (queue it up here), weighing in at 1.5 GB. It is also available for PS3 users as of this afternoon.
  • 3 minutes per half (Non-adjustable)
  • You can set the difficulty (Professional, World Class, Legendary, Amateur, Semi-Pro)
  • You can set the game speed (Normal, Slow, Fast)
  • You can change the weather (Clear, Overcast, Rainy)
  • You can change camera angles
  • You can change gameplay sliders
Teams available in the demo are listed below.
  • FC Barcelona
  • AC Milan
  • Manchester City
  • Tottenham Hotspur
  • Paris Saint-Germain
  • Borussia Dortmund
  • Boca Juniors
  • NY Red Bulls
You can also try out FIFA Ultimate Team and practice some moves in the practice arena.

The demo for PC users was released last night, some impressions have been posted here.

UPDATE: The PS3 demo is available now (Outside of the US) - Still waiting for US demo release, most likely later this afternoon.

UPDATE #2: Was able to start downloading the PS3 version of the demo, so it's now available for Americans as well!

Game: FIFA Soccer 14Reader Score: 7/10 - Vote Now
Platform: iOS / PC / PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 16 - View All
FIFA Soccer 14 Videos
Member Comments
# 101 RoyceDa59 @ 09/13/13 09:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeats
Royce, as a fellow Ontarian, I have to share with you that the FIFA 14 demo with gameplay edits to reduce speed and CPU cheating is the best game of sim football I've ever played. Don't give up. (You can give up on the Leafs though, that's understandable. )
Lol, haven't given up on the Leafs yet but have been so close! I honestly think it is going to be hard for me to get pulled back into FIFA since I am enjoying the PES demo so much. There is hope though since I plan on at least rent FIFA from Gamefly, that should let me know how I really feel about FIFA. I am actually more intrigued about the PS4/Xbone versions more than anything.

# 102 Yeats @ 09/13/13 09:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyceDa59
I honestly think it is going to be hard for me to get pulled back into FIFA since I am enjoying the PES demo so much.
Yeah, I'm waiting for the PES PC demo right now so we'll see how I feel after that.

# 103 Qb @ 09/13/13 09:51 AM
Finally had the chance to play multiple games last night; played on World Class, slow, with manual controls (usual settings for me) on PS3.

Dribbling is definitely different. I think the changes are for the good in the long run, but it's going to take some adjustment no doubt. I can see the potential for it to really improve 1v1 or OTP play since sprinting really impacts dribble accuracy. However, This doesn't seem to impact the CPU as much, and they seem to make up ground quite quickly when I do get into some open space. For now, I'm willing to chalk the latter up to the learning curve.

I can't take much else away from the games I played because they're so short and I didn't mess with the sliders much. Changing the line settings has a big impact on gameplay, and since I didn't care for 13 with the default settings, I'm not surprised that the demo doesn't do it for me. On the positive side, players seemed to close down more aggressively and naturally, rather than rushing towards but suddenly stopping several feet away to contain... at least the CPU players. My guys were less gung-ho, meaning I had to do a lot of switching if I wanted to pressure the ball.

And they really changed headers, eh? I put several corners through the box and out for a throw.

# 104 LionsFanNJ @ 09/13/13 10:20 AM
Tried the 14 demo after last playing FIFA 99 (you read that right) played three games all on amateur and semi-pro and had a pretty fun times. had to work the ball around a bit to get scoring looks and I beat Man City as Milan 2 - 0 and had the same score in another game.

Being full of myself I jumped the difficulty to Pro and played against Dortmund as Barcelona and got stomped 4 - 0. Crazy dribble moves and shots everywhere and I didn't get a single shot attempt off.

Still being a fringe soccer fan it was pretty fun experience for me. Will probably pick up a used one in a few months with the other non sports games coming out I want to play.

Also lastly loved the physics in the game. The players felt weighty if that makes sense.

# 105 pk500 @ 09/13/13 12:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by orion523
Speed: Slow
Sprint: 49/49
Acc: 49/49
Pass speed: 51/51
Shot speed: 50/50
Pass error: 52/61
shot error: 50/50
injuries, keepers, run freq, all 50/50
Marking: 67/67
Height 51/51
Length: 44/44
Width 48/48
FB's 53/53
First touch: 52/55
These sliders, along with your subsequent tweaks, are terrific. They breathe new life into the demo. Well done, man.

# 106 orion523 @ 09/13/13 12:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pk500
These sliders, along with your subsequent tweaks, are terrific. They breathe new life into the demo. Well done, man.
Thanks bud, they at least give a little hint as to what's possible once we have the full game. Next Friday really can't get here fast enough.

# 107 toomerk @ 09/13/13 02:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBMcGee3
I'm warming up to FIFA demo, much more than I expected to be, but at the end of the day I just prefer the wider variety of goals I'm getting with the PES demo. It just seems like, on FIFA, every time I shoot while in the box, it's a goal. I've had no less than 3 goals where the ball wasn't even struck particularly hard, and I was legitimately shocked when the keeper didn't get to them. It's also still a bit too easy to get behind the defense altogether, which is something you rarely see in PES, or real life footie for that matter. I'd say after playing the FIFA demo 8-10 times, that probably 70% of my goals have resembled an in-game penalty kick, where it's just me straight ahead vs the goalie.

I also don't like the feel of the passing in FIFA for whatever reason. I HATE the pass and shot meter being down in the corner of the screen, and sometimes I feel like even when I try to crush a pass, it still doesn't go particularly far or with as much pace as I'd like. I also find the passing animations to be a tad unrealistic, with far too many toe poke looking passes.

Still, it's a really good game and obviously it has plenty of well polished bells and whistles, I just don't find the game to be as engaging as PES.
If anyone ever finds FIFA monotonous, try out full manual control. It really is a completely different game. Building attacks take patience, and every game is unique. Matter of fact, FIFA on full manual is the most PES-like (old school PES) experience I've found. Also, your passing worries go away almost instantly.

That said, my biggest gripe with the demo is the fact that teammates don't "check" to the ball when I'm in possession, oftentimes leaving me stranded in the midfield. Their first instinct is to always make a run forward, regardless of the context. I'm sure a custom tactic adjustment lowering the buildup speed will work, but we aren't allowed to change that at the moment. Otherwise, I love how much more realistic the player movement is this time around.

# 108 toomerk @ 09/13/13 02:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeats
Royce, as a fellow Ontarian, I have to share with you that the FIFA 14 demo with gameplay edits to reduce speed and CPU cheating is the best game of sim football I've ever played. Don't give up. (You can give up on the Leafs though, that's understandable. )
I can attest to this. The best adjustment you can make is to CPU pass/shot error. Pulls the realism back quite a bit. Now, the 80+ minute SuperCPU speed on the other hand...

# 109 drunkenferret @ 09/13/13 02:19 PM
Started out on World Class, and while I rarely give up more than a goal, I found myself lucky to get more than 1 or 2 shots on goal per match, resulting in every match ending in a penalty shootout. So I decided to drop down to Professional, and man did things seem to change up drastically. Suddenly it seemed like I had a little time on the ball. There is no doubt that buildup is key this year, and whereas I though heading was screwed up on 13, so far on the demo, if you have a target man in the box (Lewandowski, Ibra, Cavani, etc.) throwing crosses into the box has become enjoyable again.

Issues with the game for me are not deal breakers, but I agree psychic ai is annoying. The CPU never misses a slide tackle, and fouls are rare, although I am getting them. I've had some great through balls through the middle, and on these chances Messi looks like Messi. For what he does, he is the best player in the demo.

I agree slider adjustments will be key, as there are times when my teammates are nowhere to be found on attacks, and wait too long to make runs. Something else I noticed, but is anyone else getting a ton of offsides? It's a demo so don't take as gospel yet!

I usually play with a 4-2-3-1, and had trouble using Barca in the 4-3-3, but when I switched I switched up the formation things started to click. Dortmund has been my favorite to play with so far. Tactically, each team is different, and where I can work attacks through the middle with Barca, had a great ranged goal with Messi, Dortmund seems to thrive on crosses into the box to Lewandowski (love heading with this guy!).

Fifa 13 is dead to me. I'll keep messing with the Demo until the EA Ticket release.

# 110 woody2goody @ 09/13/13 05:25 PM
I don't know where this 'game is too fast' stuff comes from. To be this demo is just the right speed.

PES this year is like an elephant walking through treacle - much too slow.

Football is a fast game in general - if your game is too slow it doesn't feel exciting to play. You can still have a slightly faster sim-style game.

Players are slower to accelerate this year and feel slower while running with the ball (not sprinting) - I think this gives a more deliberate feel, but well balanced nevertheless.

# 111 hedache @ 09/14/13 12:46 AM
I was not planning to play the demo much, mostly due to the fact that I believed that it was FIFA 13 with an update on sliders and some mathematical formulas on some physics. And yet it mostly is, but at least in the right direction. If what I'm hearing is true though, about after feedback EA changing the sliders to speed it up (which I have called this series of events exactly before the demo was out ), we may be back to square one.

On Thursday night, lonely in the 13 manual lobby, no one to play, I decided to give the 14 demo a shot.

All manual controls, world class, slow speed. I set up something very close to my dear brilliant friend Orion's sliders from post 80 something in this thread. I played for a long long time, I don't remember how many games, probably around 2.5 hours or so. Tried all different kinds of team match ups being in control on both ends of the equations like NY vs Tottenham.

First of all, I love the new dribbling mechanics. I hope they keep it that way. It is a lot more realistic. No more ball tied to your shoes, it comes where ever you go. Naturally, sprint button translates into less control as well. And I'm totally fine with the defenders being able to catch back after being beat. If you're moving with the ball, except some situations, it's normal that you get caught in the long run. When you beat a defender you have to make good use of the little time you get away from him.

The new dribbling system and defensive mechanics may lead to high pressure strategies, but I'm fine with that as well, because it goes both ways. When you win the ball, same works for you.

It appeared like my teammate AI was having difficulty compared to 13 and I'm hoping this is totally due to custom tactics. If they behave the way they behave in 13 after adjusting custom tactics, I have very little complaints about teammate AI. They usually are where I want them to be.

I really hope EA keeps the settings for what we got in the initial demo, at least for players that select slow game speed. Let the pacers play pace in normal and fast setting games. This is completely possible, both for online and offline games. And everyone will be happy. Arcade kids get their money's worth, EA makes enough money to keep putting the product out there, and the hard core customers are happy as well with the realistic game they get.

I'm excited to see what kind of human vs human challenges there will be under the new ways of dribbling and defending. One thing I realized or felt like was the ease of scoring headers (even in manual). That concerns me in some ways. And I had no trouble getting shots in even with low star teams against higher ones. You have to stop watching the clock and play it like it'll go on, patient build up. If the game ends, there is a restart option you know.

I'm happy with what I've seen.

# 112 razorkaos @ 09/14/13 04:20 AM
i keep playing the demo, and the more i play, more i like it. seems like "movement" is the key word here. it may sound radical, but for me, its a new way to play the game. you have to consider momentum and physics, and if you watch the defenders movements, you can gain some advantage, you can beat the defender without using a single skill move. just force the defender to go to the direction you want, and when he starts moving, go to the other side, as he can't magically defy phyisics anymore and turn around like crazy and catch you.

that's how i feel after playing the demo for a good chunk of hours: i have to change my mentality to play this game. i really have to forget how i played untill today, having to ignore physics and momentum (obviously due to the games lacking these factors). now i can play with the mindset i played back in 2002 or so, but i got frustrated cause the game was not responding properly, it felt arcadey and robotic.

finally, EA heard us.

# 113 orion523 @ 09/14/13 09:37 AM
My two friends above have hit the proverbial nail on the head, finally FIFA has grown up, finally we have a proper football game from EA. The fact that this game actually rewards you for being patient is such a huge deal, I really can't wait till Friday.

# 114 BearsNVA @ 09/14/13 12:31 PM
I played around 20 games last night and while 1/2 of me says, "Holy crap this game is going to be awesome," the 1/2 of says, "Now, calm down. Other demos play with ease and the final product feels different."

I'm mainly referring to a recent experience I had with Madden. The demo felt great and looked great. Then I played the full game and it didn't feel the same.

So I'm excited but I'm holding off being totally pumped.

However the more I play the demo it's hard to not move closer to being pumped.

The Positives:

-I see more balls that have a mind of their own. Meaning, they bounce off of players in odd ways. I don't know if that's the new momentum stuff and the player's bodies are moving in such a way that be ball reacts differently, but it seems to add an element to the game that's new (at least to me.)

The ball bouncing in different directions from what I'm used to creates more 50/50 ball situations in open space where you have 2 players moving to fight over it, which oddly enough created situations where collisions happened; if only the refs would call fouls it would amazing.

-The pace of the game play forces you to think. It forces you to think about what you're doing because if you try and dribble around people you'll look like an idiot.

The teammate AI is decent but not perfect. I'm not putting that in the next section of negatives, because it's hard to judge the AI without being able to tweak how your team works; it's not in the demo. You're stuck with the default stuff that comes with each team.

-Every team on there plays different and you can feel a huge difference in how each player acts and reacts to the game. Some ST's are slower and have powerful shots, where others are quick and have precision shots. That's just one example, but you truly feel like every player is an individual as opposed to the twin of the other 10 on the field.

Negatives

I have to say this first. These might be negatives, but in all honesty I'm a realist when it comes to video games. I understand that it's nearly impossible to create a digital version of FIFA and have it be "exactly," like its real life counterpart and I'm totally cool with that.

-The computer defense has perfect tackles and perfect passes.

I messed with the sliders a bit and eventually got it to a point where they weren't always "perfect," but even NY Red Bulls played with grace and near perfection.

On the defensive end of things it's annoying, but for now I'm chalking it up to me not being used to the new way of how you have to attack. My muscle memory is still playing FIFA 13.

-No penalties being called is annoying and always has been. If this was Madden or NCAA people would say, "The penalty sliders aren't for penalties they affect game play."

This is FIFA and there aren't penalty sliders, so I'm assuming EA has purposefully chosen to not have many in the game. I get that they don't want to stop the game every 20 seconds, but having 2-3 penalties called a half isn't too much to ask I don't think.

On the other hand if the user controlled player decides to produce a compound fracture on the opposing team, the ref will call it. So maybe it's not so much EA doesn't put penalties in the game as much as they don't program the AI to commit "really hard fouls."

-Some have mentioned the way the players run with their arms out? Or something along those lines.

I noticed it but to me it's not a big deal and I hardly notice it even after it being called to my attention. One person on here brought it up and I thought he was going to have an aneurysm over it. In my humble opinion it's noticeable but not annoying to the point where, "What was EA thinking?" comes into play.

Closing thoughts:

All in all the retail version plays like the demo I can honestly say EA has made a huge advancement with FIFA. They didn't do it with major changes. They did it will small subtle tweaks (that for once) actually made all the difference in the world.

# 115 orion523 @ 09/14/13 02:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BearsNVA
I played around 20 games last night and while 1/2 of me says, "Holy crap this game is going to be awesome," the 1/2 of says, "Now, calm down. Other demos play with ease and the final product feels different."

I'm mainly referring to a recent experience I had with Madden. The demo felt great and looked great. Then I played the full game and it didn't feel the same.

So I'm excited but I'm holding off being totally pumped.

However the more I play the demo it's hard to not move closer to being pumped.

The Positives:

-I see more balls that have a mind of their own. Meaning, they bounce off of players in odd ways. I don't know if that's the new momentum stuff and the player's bodies are moving in such a way that be ball reacts differently, but it seems to add an element to the game that's new (at least to me.)

The ball bouncing in different directions from what I'm used to creates more 50/50 ball situations in open space where you have 2 players moving to fight over it, which oddly enough created situations where collisions happened; if only the refs would call fouls it would amazing.

-The pace of the game play forces you to think. It forces you to think about what you're doing because if you try and dribble around people you'll look like an idiot.

The teammate AI is decent but not perfect. I'm not putting that in the next section of negatives, because it's hard to judge the AI without being able to tweak how your team works; it's not in the demo. You're stuck with the default stuff that comes with each team.

-Every team on there plays different and you can feel a huge difference in how each player acts and reacts to the game. Some ST's are slower and have powerful shots, where others are quick and have precision shots. That's just one example, but you truly feel like every player is an individual as opposed to the twin of the other 10 on the field.

Negatives

I have to say this first. These might be negatives, but in all honesty I'm a realist when it comes to video games. I understand that it's nearly impossible to create a digital version of FIFA and have it be "exactly," like its real life counterpart and I'm totally cool with that.

-The computer defense has perfect tackles and perfect passes.

I messed with the sliders a bit and eventually got it to a point where they weren't always "perfect," but even NY Red Bulls played with grace and near perfection.

On the defensive end of things it's annoying, but for now I'm chalking it up to me not being used to the new way of how you have to attack. My muscle memory is still playing FIFA 13.

-No penalties being called is annoying and always has been. If this was Madden or NCAA people would say, "The penalty sliders aren't for penalties they affect game play."

This is FIFA and there aren't penalty sliders, so I'm assuming EA has purposefully chosen to not have many in the game. I get that they don't want to stop the game every 20 seconds, but having 2-3 penalties called a half isn't too much to ask I don't think.

On the other hand if the user controlled player decides to produce a compound fracture on the opposing team, the ref will call it. So maybe it's not so much EA doesn't put penalties in the game as much as they don't program the AI to commit "really hard fouls."

-Some have mentioned the way the players run with their arms out? Or something along those lines.

I noticed it but to me it's not a big deal and I hardly notice it even after it being called to my attention. One person on here brought it up and I thought he was going to have an aneurysm over it. In my humble opinion it's noticeable but not annoying to the point where, "What was EA thinking?" comes into play.

Closing thoughts:

All in all the retail version plays like the demo I can honestly say EA has made a huge advancement with FIFA. They didn't do it with major changes. They did it will small subtle tweaks (that for once) actually made all the difference in the world.
Coming from a couple of guys who have the closed beta, the game is just a more polished version of exactly what we have here, meaning no significant changes other than bug fixes. Hopefully that holds up, and considering that FIFA never changes gameplay in their patches I'm highly optimistic.

# 116 carnalnirvana @ 09/14/13 03:03 PM
i like this demo, which is amazing because i have felt every fifa on this gen has been different levels of trAsh( if you are a defensive footballer)....

what i liked:

while user team AI is not perfect at least they finally get the fact that your guys must play D on their own.

while they will never TACKLE on their own, but they are always in position waiting for you to click on, which for me makes fifa worth $60( thats how garbage i felt previous fifa's were)

its a pleasure to see without any slider or formation edits my midfielders run back and play the ball so my back 4 can truly be the last wave of defense instead of the first and only wave of defenders....

and if i play the ball my entire 11 gets back on D this is great and makes me very interested in fifa again.

what i didnt like:

the dribbling is too excessive, every player can do everything which is horrible and the cpu can turn with anyone on a dime to avoid a tackle, the ball should be kept closer to feet overall

the cpu attack is bland and i am being generous, i actually saw them 1-2 me in a rare moment where i had the cpu pinned

sliders made this demo really fun, i turned first touch to 15 and the cpu acted human having to control the ball before dancing or whatever else they do thats unrealistic.

overall a nice demo and if i can find a deal this may be worth me buying

what both games really lack imo, is players/ star players keeping the ball while looking for a better pass, everything seems to be pass, pass, pass no cpu player ever takes you or or runs at you thats why the red bulls plays like italy or barca

# 117 woody2goody @ 09/14/13 03:39 PM
On the subject of fouls, it depends on how you play as to how many you see.

In general nearly all the fouls have been penalised, even if there aren't loads of them. I can't stand games where the CPU commits a lot of fouls but the red doesn't blow for them.

I've seen a few yellow cards so far and a fair few free kicks in the right situations - I'm pretty happy with it so far.

# 118 BearsNVA @ 09/14/13 04:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by orion523
Coming from a couple of guys who have the closed beta, the game is just a more polished version of exactly what we have here, meaning no significant changes other than bug fixes. Hopefully that holds up, and considering that FIFA never changes gameplay in their patches I'm highly optimistic.
Good to know Orion.

By the way, I used your sliders last night for a bit. Great as usual.

# 119 orion523 @ 09/14/13 06:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BearsNVA
Good to know Orion.

By the way, I used your sliders last night for a bit. Great as usual.
Thank you, they're definitely a good jumping off point. I'll probably post something in the slider section soon.

# 120 orion523 @ 09/14/13 07:26 PM
For those of us who are still trying to come to grips with the changes in FIFA 14(me included) I've just found this blog by journalist Darren Cross with several helpful tips. Here it is:

http://www.ea.com/uk/news/fifa-14-demo-tips

Post A Comment
This thread has been closed for new comments.