Home
NBA 2K14 News Post

Ronnie has just posted another quick NBA 2K14 video, via his Instagram account, showing off a Vince Carter dunk with celebrations.

Game: NBA 2K14Reader Score: 6.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS3 / PS4 / Wii U / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 98 - View All
NBA 2K14 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 strobox88 @ 09/11/13 08:57 PM
Since I've lost all hope for current gen and yearly (perhaps even bi-yearly) player updates, my only hope now is they updated them on next-gen.

It's always the little things that annoy me the most when it comes to NBA 2k. Player updates, or a lack thereof, is one of them.

# 22 J_Posse @ 09/11/13 09:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Kafe
This worries me ...... I think im gonna get stuck with another ugly Jimmy Butler CF
Probably not since Beluba is a huge Bulls fan and was gushing on Twitter about how he was going to "hook up" Jimmy (during the playoffs) in the next installment. He'll either get an upgrade on current gen, which he sorely needs, or his next-gen cyberface will be spot-on. Hoping his PE's of the Crazy 8's are doable in 2K14.

SMH that 2K hasn't updated Vince with a beard going on three years now. I try not to gripe about graphics as much, but that's inexcusable especially when many are sticking with current-gen 2K14.

Spoiler

from Spurs Nation/Bills Backer HQ

# 23 mlp111 @ 09/11/13 10:57 PM
this just solidified my reason for not purchasing 2k14 on current gen, guy has had a beard for over 3yrs now and still not updated... crying out shame, so yep it looks like pc version until next gen comes out!

# 24 rbfn04 @ 09/11/13 11:47 PM
Why y'all hate so much? Yes, graphics are 2K13.5, end of a generation guys. But the gameplay videos so far showed a lot of work. I'm hyped.

# 25 Phreezy P @ 09/12/13 12:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NINJAK2
Lol..If it isn't clear to you that 2k can indeed update players on current gen..yes I said current gen (Go see Manu, bellinelli, Cole, Shumpert as proof in 2k14) then maybe you should get your head checked. Stop making excuses for them. People should not be expected to go out and spend $400-$500 to get some up to date face scans..jeesh. People aren't expecting current gen to look like the E3 next gen reveal but they can put in some new faces for those that need them on this gen as they've shown that in my previous examples(What is it year 3 for vince without a beard?). This isn't going to make me not buy the game but let's not act like what people are complaining about is asking too much.
Id rather 2K to spend all their time on the gameplay on current gen to get it to near perfection and bring it to Next Gen than to worry about poorly done CF's. They got the Shumpert, Cole because those were the most obvious ones that were not done and should have been. They were even requested by the real players I think. 2K probably made those faces during last season and just didn't put it in the game for whatever reason.

I guess I really shouldn't be complaining since I play PC version and have CF's for 90% of the league, but it is pretty clear the art focus is on Next gen.

# 26 SouthBeach @ 09/12/13 12:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VDusen04
Ha, I was just about to edit my post and say something like that, but I thought it sounded ridiculous so I didn't. It honestly feels as though 2K is trying to undersell the current generation as much as possible so as to create a wider divide between current and next generation. I know that's not what's happening, but the updates, teasers and reveals have been so mundane to this point that I cannot help reaching for reasons why.

Release concrete and thorough information about NBA 2K14 on current generation?

I agree.

In previous iterations of NBA 2K, we've had Developer Insights, trailers for different aspects of the game, etc. So now, to only have 15-second Instagram videos and only a few words here and there about what they've changed, it only adds to the speculation that they have something more to discuss with next-gen that current gen may be lacking.

# 27 supimryan @ 09/12/13 02:19 AM
really starting to feel like there's merit to thinking 2K14 current gen will basically just be 2K13 repackaged with a few new animations and crews. bench celebrations? who cares? I mean it's great and all but they're not even wearing warmups. how bout some gameplay improvements? there's no info on what the legendary teams are going to do in the game. are the euroleague teams just thrown in there? I'm hoping for the best still.

# 28 Po0hd1n1 @ 09/12/13 02:47 AM
i always felt they didnt put a beard on him so he'd look the part for the ones that wanted to relive prime vince and boost his ratings

but most likely they are just lazy

# 29 Norris_Cole @ 09/12/13 04:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonWilliams55
Next Gen is the only thing that matters when it comes to a marketing perspective, as that is where your only competition is.

Current Gen will sell right at or slightly over 4M (million) copies, regardless imo. Why? Cause its the only option for everyone who has CG consoles. Next Gen consoles won't have the #s to allow everyone to upgrade right away and we will have to wait and see how it pans out still.

I fully expect 2K to bombard us w/ NG info as soon as they can in order to crush skulls and stomp throats of their only competitor.
I just hope they marketing strategy changes for next gen and they show more than 4 sec videos. You never know when it comes to 2k and marketing

# 30 st0rmb11 @ 09/12/13 04:41 AM
I don't usually post in the 2K forums, nor do I compain much about player models, but come on? VC is one of my favorite players ever, and he has had the same CF since at least 2K8. And I get that for a few years, he looked the same, but since his final season in Orlando, he's had that beard. It's completely pathetic that it hasn't been added.

I can kind of understand why it wouldn't get added this year because of all the time they have put into the Next Gen game, and they probably just wanted to keep the current gen model as is, with a few improvements here and there. But that gets to the root of the issue - it should have already been in the game from 2K11, 2K12, and 2K13. They've had 3 years before 2K14 to update his appearance and have neglected it.

# 31 BQ32 @ 09/12/13 07:38 AM
As the most pessimistic 2k player on this board I actually am getting more excited seeing you guys complain about cyber faces and art direction. The reason; because they had to spend the last year doing SOMETHING. I feel like usually they spend more time trying to get the game to "look" good and ship with a cool new feature yet the gameplay gets the back seat and the game is unbalanced chalk full of cheese and exploits. Maybe this year they spent that time play-testing, tweaking and adding features or animations that directly effect gameplay. That is me being optimistic anyway lol. Or maybe they just split there team in two with half working on this gen and the other half working on next gen in which case we will get a game on this gen that feels like a patched 2k13 and a bit of an underwhelming new console release. Here is hoping for the former.

# 32 balljonesjr @ 09/12/13 07:59 AM
I'm thinking they're just playing a game of chicken with EA to see how much they'll show (this comment is based on not seeing much next gen vids and stuff) so ill explain what this post really is saying ... " your move EA!"

# 33 VDusen04 @ 09/12/13 08:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Po0hd1n1
i always felt they didnt put a beard on him so he'd look the part for the ones that wanted to relive prime vince and boost his ratings

but most likely they are just lazy
I've considered that as well. That's always been the silver lining to their negligence of Carter's current appearance. A part of me has been like, "Well, that definitely doesn't look like current Vince". But another part of me, the one making classic Raptors and Nets squads, is kind of thankful for 2K's lack of an update.

And again, the more I think about it - I could definitely see this little Instagram innocently released by 2K as it was. Then, when next generation information begins to stream out, I could see Carter being done properly (beard, headband, accessories, accessory colors, revving) and the new one being used for comparison against the old so as to clearly illustrate the upgrade from one generation to the next.

The idea of a brand underselling one of their own products to boost up another sounds kind of silly. But I'm racking my brain as to why this video would have been released otherwise.

# 34 cthurt @ 09/12/13 10:18 AM
I feel like people that dont plan on getting the PS4 or Xbox1 anytime soon has a good reason to complain about things like graphics and cyberfaces being old, and it is because to get there basketball fix they have to play this 2k14 game and still pay 60 bucks, which is the same price of the next gen game which seems at least graphically will be alot better.

I think if 2k on current gen had a price drop there wouldnt be as much complaints about the little things.

# 35 tharealcstylez @ 09/12/13 10:25 AM
Current gen is like the new iphone 5s. it looks the same but you have to actually use it to feel the difference

# 36 spankdatazz22 @ 09/12/13 11:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VDusen04

The idea of a brand underselling one of their own products to boost up another sounds kind of silly. But I'm racking my brain as to why this video would have been released otherwise.
While I don't fully disagree with some of the sentiments being voiced, I have to wonder how much of this is about people wanting to be hyped and how much is about substance. I can't remember a year where this board collectively gave credit to 2K for their marketing efforts; every year that I can remember it's been a lot of "2K's marketing sucks!". Or maybe they release information to the hardcore audience only to be called flat-out liars down the line. I was going to go back and look at some of the dev diaries of the past but only got so far as this one for Online Association:

http://www.operationsports.com/forum...ssocation.html

Of course, the typical "this will be the greatest thing ever" responses to the "they're wasting my time - yawn" responses. Given how the people that crave information seem to collectively react in such extremes maybe they have to wonder what the net gain is for the effort.

It seems there's a fairly large constituency that prefers hype to substance. DribbleTek (or whatever it's called) gets more hype and play around here than anything an established dev like Mike Wang has done - with the requisite hands-on feedback from reputable sources because some prefer "new" over "good".

For many of the Insights I've seen released over the years, a lot of the time you'll have people here being unappreciative or worse, flat-out accusing them of being liars. I think most people enjoy them, but hard to say. I've never played Online Association but by most accounts I've read here it sucks. Yet in reading some of the replies in the Online Insight I posted above, 2K seemed to deliver for some in making it seem like the greatest mode ever. Is the hype more important than the substance?

This is also a unique year with the next gen systems releasing. And some of you seem to expect getting a transformative product for both generations of systems. For all we know they may be concentrating on doing insights and such for the next gen systems. Yet if they said so you'd have a bunch of people complaining that they're ignoring current gen - despite hands-on accounts saying that they game has been noticeably improved. Don't know if they hurt themselves more by putting out info and having people react negatively just because they're expecting 2K to take a throw the kitchen sink in approach every year.

I'm just playing devil's advocate btw. I'm not sure why there at least hasn't been a demonstration video on the new dribble/shoot mechanics. My hope is that they've taken time to include in-game tutorials for various aspects of the gameplay instead of letting people try to figure things out for themselves. For some that's enjoyable, but I think some develop bad habits then accuse the game of being broken instead of having learning how to do things the correct way in the first place. Either way, just wanted to throw something else out there for thought

# 37 VDusen04 @ 09/12/13 11:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by spankdatazz22
While I don't fully disagree with some of the sentiments being voiced, I have to wonder how much of this is about people wanting to be hyped and how much is about substance. I can't remember a year where this board collectively gave credit to 2K for their marketing efforts; every year that I can remember it's been a lot of "2K's marketing sucks!". Or maybe they release information to the hardcore audience only to be called flat-out liars down the line. I was going to go back and look at some of the dev diaries of the past but only got so far as this one for Online Association:

http://www.operationsports.com/forum...ssocation.html

Of course, the typical "this will be the greatest thing ever" responses to the "they're wasting my time - yawn" responses. Given how the people that crave information seem to collectively react in such extremes maybe they have to wonder what the net gain is for the effort.

It seems there's a fairly large constituency that prefers hype to substance. DribbleTek (or whatever it's called) gets more hype and play around here than anything an established dev like Mike Wang has done - with the requisite hands-on feedback from reputable sources because some prefer "new" over "good".

For many of the Insights I've seen released over the years, a lot of the time you'll have people here being unappreciative or worse, flat-out accusing them of being liars. I think most people enjoy them, but hard to say. I've never played Online Association but by most accounts I've read here it sucks. Yet in reading some of the replies in the Online Insight I posted above, 2K seemed to deliver for some in making it seem like the greatest mode ever. Is the hype more important than the substance?

This is also a unique year with the next gen systems releasing. And some of you seem to expect getting a transformative product for both generations of systems. For all we know they may be concentrating on doing insights and such for the next gen systems. Yet if they said so you'd have a bunch of people complaining that they're ignoring current gen - despite hands-on accounts saying that they game has been noticeably improved. Don't know if they hurt themselves more by putting out info and having people react negatively just because they're expecting 2K to take a throw the kitchen sink in approach every year.

I'm just playing devil's advocate btw. I'm not sure why there at least hasn't been a demonstration video on the new dribble/shoot mechanics. My hope is that they've taken time to include in-game tutorials for various aspects of the gameplay instead of letting people try to figure things out for themselves. For some that's enjoyable, but I think some develop bad habits then accuse the game of being broken instead of having learning how to do things the correct way in the first place. Either way, just wanted to throw something else out there for thought
For sure. 2K's in a tough spot in terms of marketing. I fully admit I thought their extreme hype-o-meter for mundane reveals that'd become prevalent in recent years (Jay-Z being the first example to come to mind) was almost just as numbing as the approach they took this year (releasing very little).

Quite honestly, I believe there's a happy medium between revealing nearly nothing of substance and nuking the internet with overhype. It's just, aside from the supposed gameplay tweaks, it doesn't seem like 2K14 has a ton of new things to show off at this point on the current generation.

Personally, I've just had to come to terms these past few weeks that 2K14 on current gen would seem as if it's not getting one more full run of a developmental crew's undivided attention. Somehow, I thought we'd be getting one more big time go of it. Instead, that point in a console's lifespan crept up on me one year sooner than planned.

I'm kind of guessing more current generation 2K details will likely be released late in the process (i.e. videos of MyPlayer, Crew, etc.). With current generation launching October 1st and next generation launching in November, it'd make sense if 2K wanted to try to push the marketing back a bit so as to catch both games in their net at the same time.

Still, complainers and whiners will always be there, but I do believe sometimes there can be substance behind it all, as you acknowledged. On one hand, there seems to be some folks saying, "There's all sorts of new stuff in 2K14!" Then, when prodded regarding what is actually new and worthwhile, those same folks seem to be saying, "Well what do you expect? It's current gen! They're maxed out! They can't add anything else!" It's kind of like, which one is it?

# 38 OkayC @ 09/12/13 12:19 PM
Im on the fence on 2k14. Current gen looks lacking in some areas, which i understand to a point. but why am i gonna get charged the same 60bucks. I should at least have a price drop or something, but no, because i can't get next gen ill be forced to watch guys with next gen get more features than me, even though we payed the same amount of money? Like i said I get that they've more or less done all they can on current gen, but don't punish me for not getting next gen by making me pay the same at least. But my biggest thing about 2k14 that will make me buy, is ai logic on the court, improved defense(1 on 1, rotations, help defending etc) less unstoppable animations, and less breaks given to the cpu that your own team doesn't get(hence your own team being bad on d, while the cpu is great at it, ect).

# 39 tharealcstylez @ 09/12/13 12:27 PM
On the topic of them charging us 60 bucks for current gen. I heard something about if you trade it in for next gen, it would be a significant discount on the next gen version. May be wrong tho

# 40 franzis @ 09/12/13 01:01 PM
This year definetely it's not a day 1 purchase to me. Let's wait until next gen comes out for a price drop in CG used copies

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.