Home
NBA 2K14 News Post

Check out our NBA 2K14 hands-on impressions from the retail PS3 version of the game. (Written by Aaron Holbert - aholbert32)

Quote:
CPU AI: I swear every time I read one of these previews for a new NBA 2K game, the author is talking about how the CPU is so realistic and how each team plays like it does in real life. For the first time, I honestly feel like this year that statement is completely true. There are several examples I noticed:

Rockets v. Lakers - The AI consistently looks for Howard in the post, Lin in the pick and roll and Harden on Isos and pick and rolls. Shooters like Parsons hang out on the perimeter waiting for kick outs by Harden and Lin off picks. Houston also shoots a ton of threes like in real life.
Cavs v. Wizards – Irving absolutely destroyed me with the pick and roll(40 points and a game winning layup) but he didn’t ball hog. CPU ran several post plays for Bennett and Bynum. Waiters also got a few touches but he struggled in the game.
Grizzlies v. Thunder – CPU looks for Randolph and Gasol consistently in the post. Randolph plays like he does in real life. For example, he went to work in the post on two straight possessions. One ended with a baby hook in the lane. The second was him pivoting to face up Ibaka and sinking a 17ft jumper in his face.

Game: NBA 2K14Reader Score: 6.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS3 / PS4 / Wii U / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 98 - View All
NBA 2K14 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 Gramps91 @ 09/24/13 08:11 AM
so glad about AI sounding so good. Can't wait to play it.

# 2 iLLosophy @ 09/24/13 08:16 AM
good writeup sir. it's sad to hear that 2k still refuses to grasp the concept of what a realistic number of fouls are. Getting to the free throw line is a skillset in it's own. Danilo Gallinari, Jimmy Butler, Kevin love all excel at it, and to not have the right number of fouls is to take away from their value on the court.

# 3 rockchisler @ 09/24/13 08:21 AM
Good Preview.

# 4 aholbert32 @ 09/24/13 08:52 AM
Thanks everyone.

As the preview says I have the game early so feel free to ask questions related to the game and I'll try my best to answer.

# 5 Dice @ 09/24/13 08:55 AM
Is there still a coach mode option and in coach mode can you call plays by player instead of being limited to quick plays or best play option? Thanks.

# 6 2_headedmonster @ 09/24/13 08:58 AM
Casual players dont think anything is a foul, so apparently 2k has shifted that direction. Considering this was on Sim setting, its disappointing however.

# 7 Vni @ 09/24/13 08:58 AM
Very honest and in depth preview.

The lack of fouls is one big issue to me. I'am playin on HOF SIM online all year long and I can't adjust sliders. It looks like there is still barely any fouls called on simulation this year.

Why? I don't get it.

# 8 STLRams @ 09/24/13 09:09 AM
A question I have is about the classic teams rosters. I know current teams playbooks have been updated and there tendencies/ratings will be updated by STATS inc,but this I'm sure will not be the case for the classic teams. Has the classic teams playbooks been updated, and have there ratings and tendencies been updated to be more realistic and true to life (how they really played) compared to how they were in 2K13?

# 9 Goffs @ 09/24/13 09:10 AM
Quote:
-No improvements seen in crowd sound. Delayed reaction on some big plays like 3’s and dunks, which has been an issue for years.
Wow...really?

Quote:
-No updates for Madison Square Garden. MSG has been renovated for the last three years and looks significantly different than it did during the renovation but for some reason 2k hasn't updated the arena.
I'm expecting a complete overhaul for all the arenas for next gen....would that be too much to ask?

For the first time I have no question....good preview!

# 10 ataman5 @ 09/24/13 09:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32
Thanks everyone.

As the preview says I have the game early so feel free to ask questions related to the game and I'll try my best to answer.
Thanks for a great review.
I would like to know what changes been made to Online Association mode? Can you dig in, thanks in advance.

# 11 aholbert32 @ 09/24/13 09:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ataman5
Thanks for a great review.
I would like to know what changes been made to Online Association mode? Can you dig in, thanks in advance.
Cant answer Online related questions because no one is online yet. Under 50 people probably have the game right now.

# 12 aholbert32 @ 09/24/13 09:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLRams
A question I have is about the classic teams rosters. I know current teams playbooks have been updated and there tendencies/ratings will be updated by STATS inc,but this I'm sure will not be the case for the classic teams. Has the classic teams playbooks been updated, and have there ratings and tendencies been updated to be more realistic and true to life (how they really played) compared to how they were in 2K13?
No changes. Played a game with GSW versus Charlotte and both teams had the same playbooks as last year. Rosters appear to be the same too.

# 13 Dazraz @ 09/24/13 09:21 AM
Excellent write up. Waiting to see what the next gen game is like. If 2K have dropped the ball on it then I will pick up the current gen version instead.

# 14 ron_bato @ 09/24/13 09:29 AM
Great thoughts man. Really like how the CPU seems to play smarter this time. Unfortunately, I'm going to wait it out for the ps4 version this year. Since I live in the Philippines, we don't have that upgrade program for region 3 games. So it'll be a long wait for me for some 2k basketball this year.

# 15 The 24th Letter @ 09/24/13 09:30 AM
Good write up holbert,

Don't think I saw where you talked about controls besides not being able to change them...

How hard was it to adjust to the new dribbling/shot controls?

# 16 Denps @ 09/24/13 09:34 AM
Any new Hairstyles, Tattoos, or Accessories for MyCareer?

# 17 tsbmolina @ 09/24/13 09:36 AM
Will you be posting videos possibly highlighting the improvements?

# 18 aholbert32 @ 09/24/13 09:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The 24th Letter
Good write up holbert,

Don't think I saw where you talked about controls besides not being able to change them...

How hard was it to adjust to the new dribbling/shot controls?
A little hard and I'm not sure I'm a fan. I'm not a shot stick guy. I never have been and never will be. I just want to use the right stick for dribbling but because of the controls and the fact I cant change them, I every once in a while will attempt a shot when I'm trying to do a dribble move. It happens very rare and it could be user error but I'm not a fan.

# 19 aholbert32 @ 09/24/13 09:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsbmolina
Will you be posting videos possibly highlighting the improvements?
Nope. I dont have video capturing equipment.

# 20 jaosming @ 09/24/13 10:07 AM
Any new courts for Blacktop Mode? Do players still wear their own uniforms in Blacktop?

Are any of the sleeved alternate uniforms in the game? Warriors/Suns?

Is it true Erving isn't on the classic 76ers? Creating a Legend removed? Dunk/3pt contest is association only? No more Dream Team? Is the current Team USA in?

Any other removed features you noticed? Coach mode? Choose different arena at team select?

Can we upload/download sliders from 2KShare? And does 2KShare still do Rosters/Teams/CAPs?

Thanks for the impressions, great stuff!

Post A Comment
This thread has been closed for new comments.