Home
NBA 2K14 News Post

We have just posted NBA 2K14 player ratings for every NBA player currently in the game. We will have the player ratings for the Euroleague and Classic teams later today.

Player ratings will fluctuate based off of performance via Dynamic Living Rosters. They will be completely dependent on real-life performances.

Dynamic Living Rosters will affect individual ratings (shot attributes, block, steal, rebound, etc.) daily based on performance.

FYI: These ratings were grabbed from the September 20th roster update.

Game: NBA 2K14Reader Score: 6.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS3 / PS4 / Wii U / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 98 - View All
NBA 2K14 Videos
Member Comments
# 101 The 24th Letter @ 09/27/13 06:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by X*Cell
So mad bench players on the Spurs are sub-65... but Tracy McGrady who retired and couldn't sniff the floor with them in the playoffs last season is rated a 72. Ummm... okay.
Oh ****

Where you been man?

# 102 J_Posse @ 09/27/13 10:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundown
It doesn't seem that Parker's really being underrated as much as others are being massively overrated.

Parker's defense is pretty mediocre though. That justifiably hurts his overall.
Parker is no worse or better defensively in comparison to any of the point guards slotted ahead of him, except a healthy D-Rose and Rondo, and the fact that you are using that as a knock is reaching. Irving and Curry are considered worse as one-on-one defenders, yet neither is below Parker in overall. Parker is more efficient, less turnover prone, more "clutch" and far more experienced than almost everyone above him yet his intangible ratings are likely worse. He isn't being given the credit he's earned and is underrated. He should be in the elite company PGs with Rondo (healthy), Westbrook, Rose (healthy) and Paul. They all get their appropriate placing for the most part, while Parker is docked an arbitrary amount for weaknesses he no longer possesses. Bull****!!!!

And obviously, I'm not saying he's without weaknesses because all players have them. He's just learned to minimize them with hard work and gearing his game towards his strengths. All this without being the lighting fast player he once was. He's lost a half a step or so, yet makes up for it with savvy, tremendous footwork and an under appreciated off-ball game.

from Spurs Nation/Bills Backer HQ

# 103 J_Posse @ 09/27/13 11:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by X*Cell
So mad bench players on the Spurs are sub-65... but Tracy McGrady who retired and couldn't sniff the floor with them in the playoffs last season is rated a 72. Ummm... okay.
Yeah, they totally ****ted on our bench with the exception of - apparently still in his prime - Ginobili. LOL

Ginobili had the worst statistical season since his rookie year, yet still is measured out as an all-star caliber player by 2K. Parker had his second best statistical season and unarguably his best overall as a pro, yet still is below Manu, Timmy and far too many inferior PGs. LOL

Diaw was ****ted on the worst, IMO, but they have him (and Bonner) at the wrong position so that doesn't help his (their) overall. They also possess unconventional games for NBA bigmen.

Quote:
Neal should be a spot up shooter

Don't get me started on the FA ratings
Are you implying that Gary Neal should only be a spot-up shooter? He's not elite by any measure, but he has a solid if not very good off-the-dribble game. The problem is he's a black hole/ball hog and doesn't have a true position. He's also absolutely horrible on defense on-ball or otherwise.

Yeah, the free-agent ratings are annually atrocious in comparison to players on teams. Stephen Jackson is likely done as an NBA player - his play last year was abominable and he's slow as molasses - but he's rated as the best free-agent in the game. Huh?

# 104 ucromeo @ 09/27/13 04:26 PM
Can someone post a sorted list?

# 105 alabamarob @ 09/27/13 05:16 PM
Does anyone have the numbered and not grade ratings?

# 106 thechamp923 @ 09/27/13 05:49 PM
Durant should have gotten a 96 and Paul a 94. Ginobili got too high and Duncan and Parker got too low.

# 107 tigerRon @ 09/27/13 07:30 PM
Honestly makes me question the integrity of this game with the ratings being so flawed.

# 108 Sundown @ 09/27/13 10:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Posse
Parker is no worse or better defensively in comparison to any of the point guards slotted ahead of him, except a healthy D-Rose and Rondo, and the fact that you are using that as a knock is reaching. Irving and Curry are considered worse as one-on-one defenders, yet neither is below Parker in overall. Parker is more efficient, less turnover prone, more "clutch" and far more experienced than almost everyone above him yet his intangible ratings are likely worse. He isn't being given the credit he's earned and is underrated. He should be in the elite company PGs with Rondo (healthy), Westbrook, Rose (healthy) and Paul. They all get their appropriate placing for the most part, while Parker is docked an arbitrary amount for weaknesses he no longer possesses. Bull****!!!!

And obviously, I'm not saying he's without weaknesses because all players have them. He's just learned to minimize them with hard work and gearing his game towards his strengths. All this without being the lighting fast player he once was. He's lost a half a step or so, yet makes up for it with savvy, tremendous footwork and an under appreciated off-ball game.

Chris Paul's defense is also better than Parker's.

See, Parker's loss of athleticism hurts his overall rating. That's simply how 2K's overall formula works. It favors athleticism, hence the Roses and Westbrooks getting their dues. Parker may be properly rated in his strengths and actually be a more effective player when used correctly with tendencies balanced to his strengths but the Overall is not going to reflect that.

Parker's rating is also hurt in 2K because he's a mediocre shooter when in real life he remains efficient because he relies on his elite penetration and doesn't take volume jumpers. I am guessing he'll play like himself and be much more formidable than say, Ellis who's rated similarly but you can probably force to take a bunch of inefficient long jumpers due to his poor tendencies (when playing the CPU). This also applies to Westbrook to some extent. Kyrie and Curry's ratings remain high because they're both very good shooters from all spots on the floor and that inflates their Overalls.

So again, quibbling over a couple points of Overall is pointless since Overall is arbitrary and doesn't account for signature skills, shot selection and poor tendencies. I'd look at the ratings of individual attributes compared to other PGs before blowing a gasket over a few points. Hopefully his offensive awareness is notably higher than similarly rated PGs and his Floor General and 4th Quarter sig skills probably make him more valuable as well.

In short, Overall is meaningless when comparing players even in ballpark of each other-- which is the case regarding Westbrook/Curry/Parker/Irving/Rondo. Even real life analysts have a hard time clearly ranking that group. Your favorite player may not actually have been shafted-- but the formula for the Overall rating could use improvement even though it doesn't do a single thing in making him play better.

Holiday and Ginobli though-- SMH.

# 109 CaseIH @ 09/28/13 01:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by basketball444
This is what I was wondering. It is just going to be fluctuating based off the current ratings or will it create new ratings all together based purely on stats?
I am wondering the same thing. Hopefully they have their own ratings rather than basing it on what 2k has given them. I am optimistic that they will have their own rating system. Heck they cant get any worse than the incompetency of the 2k insider with ratings Some of these ratings that have been shown are definitely off.

# 110 sreckless @ 09/28/13 01:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundown
Chris Paul's defense is also better than Parker's.

See, Parker's loss of athleticism hurts his overall rating. That's simply how 2K's overall formula works. It favors athleticism, hence the Roses and Westbrooks getting their dues. Parker may be properly rated in his strengths and actually be a more effective player when used correctly with tendencies balanced to his strengths but the Overall is not going to reflect that.

Parker's rating is also hurt in 2K because he's a mediocre shooter when in real life he remains efficient because he relies on his elite penetration and doesn't take volume jumpers. I am guessing he'll play like himself and be much more formidable than say, Ellis who's rated similarly but you can probably force to take a bunch of inefficient long jumpers due to his poor tendencies (when playing the CPU). This also applies to Westbrook to some extent. Kyrie and Curry's ratings remain high because they're both very good shooters from all spots on the floor and that inflates their Overalls.

So again, quibbling over a couple points of Overall is pointless since Overall is arbitrary and doesn't account for signature skills, shot selection and poor tendencies. I'd look at the ratings of individual attributes compared to other PGs before blowing a gasket over a few points. Hopefully his offensive awareness is notably higher than similarly rated PGs and his Floor General and 4th Quarter sig skills probably make him more valuable as well.
You bring up an interesting point about how tendencies may work to balance out some of the more egregious ratings when playing against the CPU. But there's still the issue of playing user vs. user, since that's what I and many others focus on.

In user v. user, OVR and ratings matter a lot more, and Ellis is far, far more effective in 2K than Parker is. Ellis is an A+ elite scorer in the game, a mini-Michael Jordan who can shoot threes off the dribble, rain mid-range jumpers, or penetrate and dunk over and through post defenders.

VC has the very bad tendency of gifting streaky volume scorers like Ellis and Jamal Crawford with ratings as if they're on a perpetual hot streak. Their baseline ratings are simply far too high.

# 111 Melbournelad @ 09/28/13 01:52 PM
Can someone explain to me why in the world the clown of an insider rated Chauncey Billups and Eric Bledsoe as borderline Allstars?

# 112 JazzMan @ 09/28/13 01:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melbournelad
Can someone explain to me why in the world the clown of an insider rated Chauncey Billups and Eric Bledsoe as borderline Allstars?!
Reputation.

# 113 Sundown @ 09/28/13 05:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sreckless
You bring up an interesting point about how tendencies may work to balance out some of the more egregious ratings when playing against the CPU. But there's still the issue of playing user vs. user, since that's what I and many others focus on.

In user v. user, OVR and ratings matter a lot more, and Ellis is far, far more effective in 2K than Parker is. Ellis is an A+ elite scorer in the game, a mini-Michael Jordan who can shoot threes off the dribble, rain mid-range jumpers, or penetrate and dunk over and through post defenders.

VC has the very bad tendency of gifting streaky volume scorers like Ellis and Jamal Crawford with ratings as if they're on a perpetual hot streak. Their baseline ratings are simply far too high.
I do agree the Crawfords and Ellis's get too much credit for their shots. Ellis should not have as high a midrange as he does after last season, and Crawford should be a 75-78 player and useful mainly because of Microwave or a similar sig skill in limited minutes. If they have good shots, their consistencies should then be dropped.

There's not much you can do about a User using Ellis smartly and not putting up 27 shots, many contested, and hitting 38% though. But if his shot and other attributes were rated properly, he should be a good 2nd option or a super Jason Terry.

Also Ellis is a crummy 3 point shooter. Off the dribble 3's with him is just wrong. Then again, 3's were wrong all around in 2K13 online.

# 114 CaliDude916 @ 09/29/13 03:00 AM
These ratings are absolutely HORRIBLE, just like every year. Do they just throw in random numbers? Cause I really don't understand how they come up with these ridiculous ratings.

I know I'm gonna come off as a homer for this but, DeMarcus Cousins only a 79? REALLY? He's a top 5 center in the league.

# 115 andeee @ 09/29/13 04:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RipCityAndy
Like I said in my original comment, if it is based solely on attempts/made statistics, an F is accurate. I couldn't argue with your statement. But I think that is better reflected in a low three point tendency. However, an F outside shooting rating doesn't reflect ability, in my opinion. If the user wants to jack up threes with Meyers, I think at least SOME should go in. If the user shoots 10 threes with Leonard I believe more should go in than if the user shoots 10 threes with Perkins, for example.

A little support for his shooting:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPsDSmQNneM
Also:
http://www.blazersedge.com/2013/7/9/...-chart-defense
There is a good quote in there from Stotts showing confidence in his outside shot. Expect him to shoot some this season.

Fine, you don't have to agree with how I adjusted him in my roster. But this is where I'm coming from. I don't think it's unreasonable.
Regardless of him having a decent outside shot, 70 is still entirely way too high. You have to balance out percentages and attempts. I would give a 70 to someone who takes an average amount of 3pt attempts and makes them at about 30%.

Leonard took 7 3pt attempts and made 3. I would give him a 60 at best(preferably high 50s). With that rating it's makeable, but it's not an incredibly high percentage shot. A 70 makes him a stretch big, which he's not.

By the way, every time I went to a game at the UC when Ben Wallace was on the Bulls he would be draining 3s before the game like it was nothing. Making 3s in practice or warm ups is not a testament to your shooting ability.

# 116 Melbournelad @ 09/29/13 04:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliDude916
These ratings are absolutely HORRIBLE, just like every year. Do they just throw in random numbers? Cause I really don't understand how they come up with these ridiculous ratings.

I know I'm gonna come off as a homer for this but, DeMarcus Cousins only a 79? REALLY? He's a top 5 center in the league.
Chauncey Billups is apparently a better player the Demarcus Cousins.

# 117 vtcrb @ 09/29/13 11:54 AM
Here is My MAIN question, Since STATS will be Updating Daily are they USING the 2k Ratings as a BASE for their Improvements? Or after game 1 coming up with their OWN NEW roster. Since ALL teams DONT play on Opening night, IF they release a Roster the Next day, as has been stated with the DAILY Update Hype, it seems they would HAVE to make a NEW Roster to avoid inconsistencies. Never has been a CLEAR answer as to HOW the NEW DAILY Roster Updates will work. Also will STATS be Updating SIG SKILLS as well, since they are Updating Attributes and Tendencies.

# 118 strobox88 @ 09/29/13 12:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliDude916
When 2k rates all other young centers in the 50s, he's probably already a top 5 center in the league in the game, but you're right, Cousins should at least be in the low-mid 80s.

# 119 stillfeelme @ 09/29/13 12:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtcrb
Here is My MAIN question, Since STATS will be Updating Daily are they USING the 2k Ratings as a BASE for their Improvements? Or after game 1 coming up with their OWN NEW roster. Since ALL teams DONT play on Opening night, IF they release a Roster the Next day, as has been stated with the DAILY Update Hype, it seems they would HAVE to make a NEW Roster to avoid inconsistencies. Never has been a CLEAR answer as to HOW the NEW DAILY Roster Updates will work. Also will STATS be Updating SIG SKILLS as well, since they are Updating Attributes and Tendencies.
LD2K has said ratings and tendencies will be updated. My opinion they will probably use STATS to adjust some of the sig skills but I don't see it changing it weekly maybe two weeks. I wouldn't expect a daily update on sig skills. I think any time you use a roster you are using that team at a snapshot in time so if you didn't play your ratings have stayed the same.

# 120 vtcrb @ 09/29/13 12:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillfeelme
LD2K has said ratings and tendencies will be updated. My opinion they will probably use STATS to adjust some of the sig skills but I don't see it changing it weekly maybe two weeks. I wouldn't expect a daily update on sig skills. I think any time you use a roster you are using that team at a snapshot in time so if you didn't play your ratings have stayed the same.
There has been ALOT of stuff said, but NOT CLEAR how it will be DONE. Guess we will see.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.