Home
WWE 2K14 News Post

2K Sports conducted a stream this afternoon detailing what's new in Universe Mode in WWE 2K14. Universe mode allows you to set up WWE shows by playing as the GM with your own matches, storylines, and PPV event cards.

Some of the new additions this year:
  • New this year are custom rivalries, which will allow you to set up your own feuds throughout the course of the mode. The rivalry manager allows you to have short or long rivalries, and they can begin and end and different times.
  • Improved menus which will have news, rankings and statistics within your own personal Universe.
  • The game will also set up rivalries by itself if you choose not to use the manager.
  • You can now manager wrestler attires within the mode. You can customize the look of each wrestler as you move through the mode.
  • Other customization options include the ability to edit the rosters of each show, edit the tag teams, titles, and the storylines.
  • You can now set up an actual King of the Ring PPV in Universe Mode complete with the tournament along with other matches within the card. This is accomplished via the PPV editor, which also gives you the option to select a 'No Man's Land" PPV theme, which features a PPV built around different cage matches.
  • Winning King of the Ring will result in a Superstar carrying the title of King of the Ring for the rest of the year.
  • You can set up a Divas Themed PPV now with Diva Titles being able to be named a major title.
If you want to watch the full stream, you can do so at this link.

Game: WWE 2K14Hype Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 15 - View All
WWE 2K14 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 raggBAGG @ 10/01/13 03:01 PM
So the idea that if there is a rivalry, those two wrestlers still wrestle every week in tables and casket matches is still there? Me no like...

# 22 EAGLESFAN10 @ 10/01/13 03:20 PM
I hope it's not like that I doubt it because he play the first then simmed to the PPV

I'm sure more videos will be shone about Universe Mode

# 23 bigbob @ 10/01/13 03:30 PM
Quote:
Hey guys,
So, since yesterday I've been seeing some confusion about how the rivalry manager works. Some folks have assumed that setting a rivalry between two Superstars will cause them to have a match every single week on their respective show. That is absolutely not the case, and I'm not even sure where that rumor came from.

Now, it is possible - especially with a shortened rivalry - that two Superstars might have a match every week of the rivalry. But that's something that happens on WWE television as well sometimes with shorter rivalries.

In most cases, when storylines are allowed to play out, you'll see...other stuff happen in addition to just regular matches: Cutscenes, matches with other opponents, etc.

Getting ahead of some of the "But-but-buts!" I've seen some places...In the livestream, we simulated a full month to get ahead to a pay-per-view, so you don't actually get to see what happened during that entire month. Apparently some confusion arises from the fact that when we looked at the rivalry history, it showed a bunch of matches and outcomes. But, if you look again, you'll see that not all of those matches are tagged as involving BOTH Bryan and Orton.

I hope this clears things up for folks, as I was a little concerned when I saw people taking potshots at Rivalry Manager. Frankly, it's the biggest step forward Universe Mode has ever made, and if you want to get involved with it, will completely change the way your Universe operate, for the better.

If you don't believe me, ask some of the folks who were at our playtests, forum regulars like RAWFShowtime, Miketheratguy and CyberOcelot.

Got a lot going on right now (as you can probably imagine), so I won't be commenting in this thread too much, but just wanted to get some clarification out there for you guys.
- Aubrey Sitterson

# 24 EAGLESFAN10 @ 10/01/13 03:49 PM
Thanks for posting that

# 25 thefranchise03 @ 10/01/13 04:17 PM
I am still praying for backstage promos, backstage attacks, and in-ring promos. These would be perfect for the Rivalries. But it must be very difficult to incorporate, since it's been 4 years already and still no signs of these. Is there a reason why they can't do this, even though WWF No Mercy and WWF Smackdown 2 did it easily?

# 26 Gronk4M13 @ 10/01/13 05:08 PM
New this year are custom rivalries, which will allow you to set up your own feuds throughout the course of the mode. The rivalry manager allows you to have short or long rivalries, and they can begin and end and different times.
Improved menus which will have news, rankings and statistics within your own personal Universe.
The game will also set up rivalries by itself if you choose not to use the manager.

You can now manager wrestler attires within the mode. You can customize the look of each wrestler as you move through the mode.

You can now set up an actual King of the Ring PPV in Universe Mode complete with the tournament along with other matches within the card. This is accomplished via the PPV editor, which also gives you the option to select a 'No Man's Land" PPV theme, which features a PPV built around different cage matches.

Bolded what I care about. Sounds good to me, I am surely getting WWE 2K14.

# 27 EAGLESFAN10 @ 10/01/13 05:16 PM
I have so many ideas I'm going to do with my Universe it aint even funny

# 28 Buckeyed @ 10/01/13 05:27 PM
I stated this in another thread.

The rivalry system will hopefully allow for better immersion. Also, I hope lower level guys are not able to compete unless I either adjust ratings or a "push" system is implemented. If I want to push a Funaki type guy how do I upgrade him to compete with HHH?

# 29 bigbob @ 10/01/13 05:34 PM
I'll just post this in here. Take what you want from it.

# 30 AirJordanFan93 @ 10/01/13 06:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by UMhester04
Negative nancy over here
13 really soured me in WWE video games and I doubt 2K14 is much of an improvement

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

# 31 EAGLESFAN10 @ 10/01/13 06:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirJordanFan93
13 really soured me in WWE video games and I doubt 2K14 is much of an improvement

But lets be real did you really think there was going to be a MAJOR Improvement this year

I didn't even buy WWE13 so 2K14 will feel BRAND NEW to ME

# 32 AirJordanFan93 @ 10/01/13 06:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EAGLESFAN10
But lets be real did you really think there was going to be a MAJOR Improvement this year

I didn't even buy WWE13 so 2K14 will feel BRAND NEW to ME
No I wasn't expecting any changes for the most part but I'd like to see an improved AI at least

# 33 kisstopher5 @ 10/02/13 02:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbob
- Aubrey Sitterson
This right here is amazing. Game was a must have anyway, but this just makes my day. It'll be sick running a rivalry with Austin and Hogan. Can't wait.

# 34 Calinks @ 10/02/13 04:57 AM
Fellas I haven't posted here in years but I have to. I have to be "that guy" who comes in and sounds negative but universe mode is EXTREMLY important to me. It honestly is 90 percent of the reason I will even buy this game. If it's whack or something, I'm out. I could care less about anything else.

The features they showed us in that video looked GREAT but it's totally moot if the mode doesn't work. I know some people had a great universe experience in 13 but many of us, myself included had broken, boring,. terrible experiences.

In WWE 13 I got the same 10 or scenes over and over and over again. It was maddening. In the video we saw, every scene they showed was from that group of 10 I have seen dozens upon dozens of times. The story lines sucked in 13 because of this.

WWE 12, was much better at giving us a varety of scenes that lead to big feuds. I had several interesting stories come out of that. I feel like 12's universe is far superiior to 13's only because it works. 13 has way better features but the stories are terrible.

I don't care what they spice the mode up with this year, if the core engine that creates stories is just as flawed and repetive as 13, this mode is dead to me. I cannot play another universe like that, not when I know there are scores of cutsenes in the game that we can never access.

I cannot get excited about all of this yet because I have no idea how it will all come together. The devs hyped the hell out of 13's universe and we got broken trash that was never repaired. I have to see it or hear from someone's mouth that universe is finally running like it should before I got wetting my pants. That video did nothing to elevate these concerns from me.

# 35 EAGLESFAN10 @ 10/02/13 08:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calinks
Fellas I haven't posted here in years but I have to. I have to be "that guy" who comes in and sounds negative but universe mode is EXTREMLY important to me. It honestly is 90 percent of the reason I will even buy this game. If it's whack or something, I'm out. I could care less about anything else.

The features they showed us in that video looked GREAT but it's totally moot if the mode doesn't work. I know some people had a great universe experience in 13 but many of us, myself included had broken, boring,. terrible experiences.

In WWE 13 I got the same 10 or scenes over and over and over again. It was maddening. In the video we saw, every scene they showed was from that group of 10 I have seen dozens upon dozens of times. The story lines sucked in 13 because of this.

WWE 12, was much better at giving us a varety of scenes that lead to big feuds. I had several interesting stories come out of that. I feel like 12's universe is far superiior to 13's only because it works. 13 has way better features but the stories are terrible.

I don't care what they spice the mode up with this year, if the core engine that creates stories is just as flawed and repetive as 13, this mode is dead to me. I cannot play another universe like that, not when I know there are scores of cutsenes in the game that we can never access.

I cannot get excited about all of this yet because I have no idea how it will all come together. The devs hyped the hell out of 13's universe and we got broken trash that was never repaired. I have to see it or hear from someone's mouth that universe is finally running like it should before I got wetting my pants. That video did nothing to elevate these concerns from me.
That's why I still playing WWE12 until 2K14 comes out

Like you said WWE12 has better storylines and a variety of cutscenes

2K14 Universe looks promising tho

# 36 Calinks @ 10/02/13 03:37 PM
Yea. As long as the storylines work and we don't get the same crap over and over again. I will be fine. I was hoping for some new scenes, backstage stuff, stable stuff, etc. but at this point I will take a working universe with all the fixings.

# 37 woodjer @ 10/02/13 04:00 PM
One of my biggest questions...will we be able to have fully-customized shows, including arenas and logos? I was incredibly pumped for last year's universe mode and spent about 6 hours setting everything up just right so I could have a universe that started from January 1999 and moved forward in an "alternate history" type of universe. I also spent about 6-8 more hours writing an Excel program that would simulate movement between WWF, WCW, and ECW. Couldn't wait to get started with everything I had downloaded and created only to have my WCW Thunder shows freeze EVERY time because of a custom logo.

I am excited about the roster (well, the WM portion anyway...don't really watch anymore) and the things I've read about Universe mode. Will still probably pick this up to try Wrestlemania mode but I don't want to waste a bunch of time setting up a Universe that won't work like I did last year.

# 38 UMhester04 @ 10/03/13 11:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodjer
One of my biggest questions...will we be able to have fully-customized shows, including arenas and logos? I was incredibly pumped for last year's universe mode and spent about 6 hours setting everything up just right so I could have a universe that started from January 1999 and moved forward in an "alternate history" type of universe. I also spent about 6-8 more hours writing an Excel program that would simulate movement between WWF, WCW, and ECW. Couldn't wait to get started with everything I had downloaded and created only to have my WCW Thunder shows freeze EVERY time because of a custom logo.

I am excited about the roster (well, the WM portion anyway...don't really watch anymore) and the things I've read about Universe mode. Will still probably pick this up to try Wrestlemania mode but I don't want to waste a bunch of time setting up a Universe that won't work like I did last year.

I don't see why we wouldn't be able to have fully customized shows. I'm pretty sure they didn't put KOTR to the actual arena bc it's not in the game, but I'm sure you can create the KOTR arena. They just didn't want to show it off bc the creation live stream is Monday.

# 39 Union Carbine @ 10/03/13 04:23 PM
Glad to see details on Universe mode finally revealed.

One thing I hope: allow custom storylines from the creator to appear in the Universe. It seems like a no-brainer obvious thing but it didn't make it in last year. I would love to either create or download some classic storylines and watch them appear in my universe.

# 40 woodjer @ 10/03/13 05:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by UMhester04
I don't see why we wouldn't be able to have fully customized shows. I'm pretty sure they didn't put KOTR to the actual arena bc it's not in the game, but I'm sure you can create the KOTR arena. They just didn't want to show it off bc the creation live stream is Monday.
In Universe mode last year, my shows would lock up every time if I used a custom arena. I never completely understood the reason but it was something with custom logos or icons that caused it to freeze. I guess, technically, you could customize everything about a show...but I just couldn't ever actually play it. It was a pretty wide-spread issue from what I saw. That's why I mention it...

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.