Home
EA Sports UFC News Post

It appears the zombie version of THQ, the defunct game publisher, is suing EA and the UFC over the UFC Video Games License which EA now owns.

THQ alleges that EA and Zuffa (UFC's parent company) colluded to terminate THQ's licensing agreement with Zuffa in order to transfer it to EA. During 2012's E3, EA surprisingly announced they had acquired the UFC license. Before that time, THQ had released three total UFC titles, each receiving high critical marks including UFC Undisputed 3.

In the complaint, THQ says both EA and THQ discussed in early December of 2011 about selling the license and that "internal financial information, including detailed sales and revenue figures for the UFC Franchise" were shared.

By the end of that month, Zuffa informed THQ that they wanted to terminate the licensing agreement because of THQ's poor financial state. THQ believes EA provided Zuffa with sensitive information information showing THQ's perilous financial condition in order to obtain the UFC license for themselves.

THQ is alleging "tortious interference" with the licensing agreement as well as the license changeover being fraudulent under US bankruptcy law. THQ is seeking nullification of the transfer and the recover of intellectual property or the value of it, plus $10 million in damages.

You can read more about this new lawsuit against EA on Polygon.

Game: EA Sports UFCReader Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS4 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 7 - View All
EA Sports UFC Videos
Member Comments
# 1 stlpimpmonsta @ 10/09/13 05:51 PM
Zombie companies can sue now?

# 2 BenGerman @ 10/09/13 06:01 PM
And the sports gaming genre takes another hit. People weren't kidding when they said exclusivity deals were the worst thing to happen to sports video games.

# 3 Gotmadskillzson @ 10/09/13 06:04 PM
Come on man......... Look like everybody finally woke up and say hey EA is taking over everything, lets sue them. If this game gets canceled, I'm going to be highly pissed. This is my most anticipated next gen sports game I'm looking forward to the most.

# 4 Pappy Knuckles @ 10/09/13 06:04 PM
These THQ bums lawsuit better not cause the UFC game to get scrapped.

# 5 Retropyro @ 10/09/13 06:11 PM
I didn't have access to their financial data in 2011 and knew THQ was dead.

# 6 LingeringRegime @ 10/09/13 06:27 PM
THQ,

Stay classy and take your L.

Sincerely,
Sports Gamers

# 7 Gotmadskillzson @ 10/09/13 06:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghettogeeksta
2K needs to play dirty and buy up the NBA License.
No they don't. Competition is a good thing. If you don't have any, you will just coast on your profits and play it safe instead of taking chances to be great.

# 8 inkcil @ 10/09/13 06:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotmadskillzson
No they don't. Competition is a good thing. If you don't have any, you will just coast on your profits and play it safe instead of taking chances to be great.
I think he means better to be in that situation with 2k hoops than with Live.

# 9 Pappy Knuckles @ 10/09/13 07:13 PM
I think if the NBA wanted exclusivity it would've happened to by now. I think they prefer the multiple revenue streams.

# 10 SmashMan @ 10/09/13 07:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseySuave4
People are tired of EA trying to just buy exclusive licensing agreements and pushing them out of business.
That's...not at all what this lawsuit is about.

# 11 SHAKYR @ 10/10/13 12:19 AM
If us Fight Night fans have to wait longer for a game because the UFC game gets pushed back or cancelled I'm going to cry!!!!! (Not!!)

# 12 xKrNMBoYx @ 10/10/13 12:49 AM
I'm not worried. In the worst scenario the most that will happen is EA or Zuffa will have to pay THQ a few million. But I don't think it will come to that terms. There are too many "if's" in this lawsuit. THQ being a bankrupt company that sold majority of its company to others won't help them either.

# 13 majesty95 @ 10/10/13 01:29 AM
EA just can't keep themselves out of court can they, lol

# 14 ps3veron @ 10/10/13 01:49 AM
Tortious interference? Come on, we all knew THQ was a sinking ship!

Let it go THQ..just go...

# 15 aholbert32 @ 10/10/13 10:30 AM
The only way the game gets delayed is if THQ is granted an injunction which is highly unlikely. This is a money grab pure and simple by THQ. What likely happens is that EA settles with THQ for an amount significantly lower than 10 mil.

Also EA cant afford to not release UFC this spring. With no Tiger Woods and NCAA this year, that would mean no EA Sports games released between November 2013 and August 2014. Thats not happening.

Also everyone shut up about "exclusive deals." No one was complaining when THQ had an exclusive deal with the UFC. Also no other companies are stepping up to make a MMA game so EA is the only and best choice right now.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.