Home
Operation Sports News Post

The 50th (!) Episode of the Press Row Podcast is a one-on-one interview by host Rich Grisham (@richgrisham) with Madden 25 NFL designer Vic Lugo, one of the core gameplay leaders as the Madden franchise moves into the PS4/Xbox One generation. The conversation hits a lot of the fundamental aspects of what happens on the field, including locomotion, physics, blocking, controls, and how players interact with each other. It’s the kind of conversation you’ll hear nowhere else but the Press Row Podcast on Operation Sports.

Send us your feedback! We love to hear from you and can’t wait to read your stuff on the air in a future episode. Do it one of these ways:

1) Follow the show on Twitter at @PressRowPodcast and send us some Tweets while you’re there
2) Email the show at [email protected]
3) Respond to this post

Also, the Press Row Podcast is now available on iTunes (https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/...ow/id563624090) and Stitcher Radio (http://www.stitcher.com/podcast/oper...ss-row-podcast), so subscribe to it and rate it too!

Lastly, be sure to check out our friends at Weekend Confirmed right here: http://www.shacknews.com/tag/weekend-confirmed. If you’re not already a listener, give it a shot. We’re all big fans!

Enjoy the show!

Run Time: 49 Minutes

If you can't view or listen to the embedded player below, please click here.

Game: Operation SportsReader Score: 9/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 20 - View All
Operation Sports Videos
Member Comments
# 101 SageInfinite @ 10/18/13 03:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Afrikan
very curious to see how this new momentum mechanic will be like in the game..

I just worry about the animations that will go along with it.

will they look like this?

or will there be missing steps.
Wow, that is just incredible looking. I don't understand how EA doesn't strive to replicate stuff like this. Like it's not just Madden, NO EA sports games look as realistic as that. Quite depressing.

# 102 BrianFifaFan @ 10/18/13 04:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SageInfinite
Wow, that is just incredible looking. I don't understand how EA doesn't strive to replicate stuff like this. Like it's not just Madden, NO EA sports games look as realistic as that. Quite depressing.
It's always boggled my mind, too..... It just lends ammo to the "let's build a game for casual's" argument. Funny thing is, you should go into a players ratings in PES. It speaks volumes as to how they can create such a diverse pool of players, and can replicate many of the play styles of the sport's biggest stars. Go into even my beloved Fifa, and it's no contest. The depth isn't there. Basic player ratings, not many to choose from, covered up by pretty uniforms and authentic player faces. Tada, EA's core gaming philosophy.... Like you said, kinda depressing...... Shall I bring up how deep 2k's ratings and customizations are? And Madden is the shallowest of them all. That's why they are really starting to grasp at straws for marketing. The pretty blond has been exposed by advancing tech and clearly superior games, and is being exposed as being pretty shallow.... A lot of this is all just makeup, covering for the lack of depth....

# 103 Macksport @ 10/20/13 12:48 AM
What if madden just had a game and gave us impact blocking 08,vision cone 06,fight for the fumble 10,protack 10,infinity engine ,controled celebrations 07,with current anouncers simms and nantz ,and gus and collins worth,and madden 10 presentaion ...i think that would be a 2k killer

# 104 Moegames @ 10/20/13 01:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by royounggoku
Brush against each other?...

...time to time?

But Basketball and Football are night and day when we talk the "physical" aspect of it. Football requires far far more logic and strategy as well..granted basketball does require both as well and i am a fan of Bball but not nearly as much as Football which imho is the greatest sport known to man kind.

PS I think i was at that game with Jordan getting hammered at the last pic ...with Rodman on the Pistons. Yes i was fortunate enough to go see MJ play many of times including playoff games and championship games on occasion

# 105 Moegames @ 10/20/13 01:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by royounggoku
And have you heard of the new Deadrising game coming out on Xbox One? The amount of zombies on screen is astounding(there can be thousands), all with intelligent AI and awareness where no two zombies are the same. They actually work together and you have to be able to strategize to get away.
You are not seriously comparing the zombies A.I. Logic in dead rising 3 to a Football videogame A.I. Logic ..are you? Jokes aside of course hahaha

# 106 Kaiser Wilhelm @ 10/20/13 08:22 PM
I don't care much about the micro-graphical improvements. I don't need the players to be making facial expressions, or targeting a player. This isn't Arkham Asylum or even NBA 2k where the faces are actually visible and convey emotion.

I just want the actual body motions to be more fluid and less robotic. I want the game engine to be able to balance offense and defense and allow players to interact and react to one another in a reasonable manner. I want to see interaction between the offensive and defensive linemen beyond patty-cake. I want to see receivers and DBs fight for position like the characters in FIFA jockey for the ball.

I want to see the "player box" reduced to the uniform and nothing more. I want to see the ball interact with players, to account for things like bobbles, and those crazy interceptions we always see on Sundays.

What I don't need to see is Peyton Manning's pores, and every little expression on his face. I don't need to see Adrian Peterson's jersey flowing with the air . I don't need to see every member of each team's staff plus other personnel on the sidelines. I am okay with just the chain gang and referees. Now some might wonder why the chain gain gets such importance, well because the yellow line doesn't show in replay mode, so I'd like to see where the first down marker was.

Also, the ability for and NBA game to render more graphically is higher due to the reduced atmosphere of an NBA arena as compared to an NFL stadium. Not all games can be rendered equally. I am glad to hear, or at least that EA is putting up the front, that they are putting more resources into processing AI behavior as opposed to processing graphics.

# 107 michapop9 @ 10/21/13 03:47 PM
About fell outta my chair this morning when I read this new quote given to the NY Times by Frank Gibeau, 2nd in command beneath Andrew Wilson at EA, in talking about Battlefield 4 -- same could be said about their attitude towards us Tiburon complainers the past 10 years:
"Q: When I looked around to see what fans were saying about the next Battlefield, I never heard so much carping and criticism in my life.
"A. It’s like with sailors on a ship. You know you have a problem if they’re not griping."
http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/...
Good luck getting anything meaningful out of a M25 patch.
Do expect to see EA three-peat as Worst Company in America next April.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.