Home
NBA Live 14 News Post

EA Sports has posted a new blog talking about how you control the handle in NBA Live 14. The blog features information about the new dribbling system in the game, with information about the three different levels of dribble moves that you as a player can utilize in order to get defenders out of position.

Level one moves are basic ballhandler moves like crossovers, hesitations, behind the back, etc. Level two moves are a bit more complex, adding motion and momentum to the moves above to chain together moves. Level three moves are the signature moves which you can use to drive to the basket.

No information was given on how these moves will vary amongst players, especially those who simply can't do level three type of moves -- also will be interesting to see how the defense will defend. All in due time I suppose!

How You Control the Handle in NBA Live 14

Game: NBA Live 14Reader Score: 4/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS4 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 17 - View All
NBA Live 14 Videos
Member Comments
# 41 TUSS11 @ 10/23/13 02:54 PM
Man if only EA could put this amount of focus on other areas of the game each year. The dribbling looks great. It's the other stuff that worries me.

I have no problem with them focusing on BounceTek. It's like a child picking up the sport for the first time. You teach them how to dribble, then how to shoot, then pass... but this better be the last year they talk about dribbling this much.

# 42 exposedaking @ 10/23/13 03:01 PM
I like what I see here. Looks like it's going to be fun breaking down a defender.

Can't wait to try it out myself

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

# 43 blingballa333 @ 10/23/13 03:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BizDevConglomerate
Silly commenter, dribbling is the majority of basketball.

# 44 alabamarob @ 10/23/13 03:12 PM
1. Can't just wiggle the stick around.
2. You can't do another move until the ball is back in the players hands.

Being responsive to the point that it is unrealistic is not a good look. Good job 2k. Dribbling is about rhythm not just hittling the stick until the defensive player is out of position.

# 45 Rockie_Fresh88 @ 10/23/13 03:16 PM
Wow that looked really good.

# 46 bmgoff11 @ 10/23/13 03:20 PM
looks good , excited to see more.

# 47 RipCityAndy @ 10/23/13 03:21 PM
I like how quickly the players execute their dribble moves and change of direction. Over the last three years I never felt a legitimate quickness when playing as a ball handler in 2k... this looks fun.

# 48 DKHardee @ 10/23/13 03:24 PM
i can't see it. Keeps showing the pre-video advertisement over and over.

# 49 thesniper321 @ 10/23/13 03:26 PM
NOW this looks way better than that trailer , you have my attention again ea

# 50 Sundown @ 10/23/13 03:31 PM
This doesn't look bad at all. Actually it looks very good.

I'm going to compare against the other product as a reference--

It looks like it combines the old signature setups from previous 2K's that were lost with Pro Stick dribbling, with something similar to the current Pro Stick system.

Then it allows for branching out of those signature chains at any point the player has the ball.

Level 1 dribbles seem to correspond to 2K's standing/walking dribbles.

Level 2 dribbles seem to correspond to 2K's chains/launches off hesitations as well as turbo-escape dribbles. Not sure there is as much variety as 2K has.

Level 3 dribbles have no 2K analog (for current gen anyway). 2K takes the approach of having short quick simple dribbles that you can create your own "sig chains" and combos but they don't really look like actual sig chains of real players.

All sizeup animations seem to be captured and rigged with proper foot planting, at least when there is no defensive pressure. The other game still has issues with this.

Finally it adds ball physics through BounceTek (which is really not a huge deal, as the other game doesn't have much or any ball warping as is and was a bigger problem in Live).

So sizeups should look and feel stellar.

However, they didn't seem to show (as far as I could tell) how branching out of sig dribbles looks. They also didn't show any dribbling on the move, some of which we know looks bad, and which we also know has limited options based on BoilerBuzz's experience at E3. I suspect it still looks and feels the same as we didn't see much dribbling on the move in the trailer with a game that's trying to feature its dribbling model.

We also don't know what the dribbling looks like once a defender crowds the dribbler. It's very possible that it either looks bad or the defender isn't allowed to crowd too closely or ride the dribbler to "break" the sizeup feature.

At any rate, this sizeup system looks like it could be solid and quite good, or even very good.

# 51 sirjam @ 10/23/13 03:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKHardee
i can't see it. Keeps showing the pre-video advertisement over and over.
I had to go to youtube to see it

# 52 Sundown @ 10/23/13 03:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RipCityAndy
I like how quickly the players execute their dribble moves and change of direction. Over the last three years I never felt a legitimate quickness when playing as a ball handler in 2k... this looks fun.
Actually we have no idea how Live feels either. The video still shows dribbling in place and no actual launches. 2K also has some quick animations in their sizeup, hesitations, and escape dribbles, especially this years' escape dribbles that get real separation.

# 53 DruBreeze @ 10/23/13 03:46 PM
Looks good when your standing in one place and dribbling. Live does that well. But let me how smooth they look when your moving and need to change direction on a dime. That's always plagued live...think I'm lying? Look at DRose in the trailer.

# 54 La Verite @ 10/23/13 03:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghettogeeksta
Lol, even they know the player movement doesn't look fluid besides when you're standing in one place dribbling. They could have at least showed him moving around while pulling off some dribbling moves but they are afraid to.
I think there giving you details blow by blow

# 55 23 @ 10/23/13 03:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by La Verite
I think there giving you details blow by blow
I'd like for them to tell me why the players arms get all extra long when they dribble like this

# 56 grodbetatted @ 10/23/13 04:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundown
Actually we have no idea how Live feels either. The video still shows dribbling in place and no actual launches. 2K also has some quick animations in their sizeup, hesitations, and escape dribbles, especially this years' escape dribbles that get real separation.
I think what he's saying is in 2k if you remember sometimes when let's say you're doing a hesitation dribble and wanna quickly cross to the other direction you have to wait until the hesitation animation finishes before you actually cross. Where it looks like on live when you wanna hesitate and snap to the other hand (like in a real life) you can

# 57 TUSS11 @ 10/23/13 04:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 23
I'd like for them to tell me why the players arms get all extra long when they dribble like this
Imagination?

# 58 Conda @ 10/23/13 04:07 PM
Nice. When I see a video-blog about on-ball defense they will have my full attention.

# 59 grodbetatted @ 10/23/13 04:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 23
You are an avid 2k fanboy and even if live releases a decent playable game that is fun, you will talk ill of it. I don't use this word much, but you are a troll

# 60 23 @ 10/23/13 04:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TUSS11
Imagination?

Not at all, but im not going out of the way to show it. It was an honest question. Its not as if Live has never had proportion problems or players changing size in the middle of games before.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.