Home
NBA 2K14 News Post

If you are looking for more information on MyGM, FranchisePlay.me has posted a new 10 minute interview with Senior Producer Erick Boensich detailing the mode a bit in-depth. You can watch it above you here!

Also there is a new hands-on impressions article from Bleacher Report of NBA 2K14 next-gen. If you haven't yet, check out our hands-on impressions as well and be sure to read through our report on yesterday's press event for NBA 2K14 next-gen.

Game: NBA 2K14Reader Score: 6.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS3 / PS4 / Wii U / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 98 - View All
NBA 2K14 Videos
Member Comments
# 161 TheBleedingRed21 @ 10/25/13 10:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftychampleone
Yawn...all of this RPG stuff sounds great and all, but can I have my 30 team control? It's simple. I play the MyGM Mode and run my entire team's operation. Then just let me just go into roster management menu in options and edit the lineups of the other teams and do some trades for them. They can do their own salary management, coach firing or whatever. The CPU logic in trading and roster management is flawed in sports gaming. History shows this but then you have gamers yelling, "Give it a chance! Give it a chance!"

Honestly, it's not an argument of how great the trade logic and roster management is in a sports game anymore. It's an argument of how developers got the stupid idea of taking customization options from the gamer? When you take choice away from a consumer, you push them to the choice of not purchasing. Now, 2K has a chance to save face if enough people blast their forums and complain about it. I believe they could be able to create patch the fix the coding to allow players to edit rosters and 30-team control.
You cannot say the trade logic is already broken without playing the game. They claim its improved and I think 2K has the track record that we can trust them.

With next gen, hopefully comes smart AI decisions with the new hardware, if not, then yes, we complain then, but it does no good to say its bad when you haven't even tried it.

# 162 The 24th Letter @ 10/25/13 10:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slater James
24, you've been around long enough to know that these guys have a poor track record when it comes to implementing new features. The skepticism isn't coming out of the blue. It's been well earned.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk
There's warranted skepticism...

Then there's posts like "bye bye classic team association".....then it being confirmed to still be in the game 5 minutes later...

# 163 HolyCrap @ 10/25/13 10:29 AM
If you pick the Nets you better do well really quick, since they are like 86 mil over the cap.

# 164 RocketTMac1 @ 10/25/13 10:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The 24th Letter
Agreed.

Now what are all these freedoms and options besides 30 team control that have been taken?

I feel like I haven't read what you guys are reading...I genuinely want to know?
Ok in a 30 Team Association you can do everything.

1. You can set rotations the way you want them. Manu and Jason Terry not being starters are one of my major things I do. Also having role players start but not log a lot of minutes (Deshawn Stevenson and UD come to mind) is another. You can edit players on every team according to how you view their personal games. If I think Rudy Gay is overrated in one area but can improve over the course of the season then I'll but his Def Awareness down and do various drills to get it up.

2. Prospect Scouting and Drafts: Certain teams shouldn't be looking at multiple point guards when they have guys like Rondo, Kyrie, Westbrook etc. The CPU has always had a tendency to overstock certain positions during the draft.

3. Coaching Staff/Cap/Realistic Simulation in Free Agency: Like the draft things happen where you scratch your head and say that type of team would never get that player or let that coach go. Certain teams don't behave like they should. People may think that consumers that play 30 team Associations do it to make things easier on themselves but for the most part they keep it true to the actual league itself.

4. Simply not being able to choose one team: I for the life of me can never just choose one team. I love being able to see and help direct every team in the league. But I do it realistically. If the Spurs are on the decline and need to make a move to keep Tim in the title race for one more year then I'll make a financial move that the Spurs would make to get a solid player to keep them as contenders.

Those are things that come to my head right away. Things that I for one am afraid of losing the ability to do. MyGM to me simply has to have the option to have a 30 teams usable by the consumer. That gives people this fresh experience coupled with the old feel of being in control of their league.

# 165 SHAKYR @ 10/25/13 11:22 AM
So, I'm not going to be able to play COACH mode?!? I like letting CPU vs. CPU play games too. This is a shame if they took this control from us. We didn't get any information about the CAP create a player yet, did this get scaled down or up?

# 166 TheBleedingRed21 @ 10/25/13 11:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHAKYR
So, I'm not going to be able to play COACH mode?!? I like letting CPU vs. CPU play games too. This is a shame if they took this control from us. We didn't get any information about the CAP create a player yet, did this get scaled down or up?
Where did you see you cannot play CPU vs CPU?

I am sure you can..

# 167 da ThRONe @ 10/25/13 11:41 AM
I'm usually not a fan of coach/gm type modes, but this looks very intriguing. I only hope this push for realism doesn't stop with the GM mode.

# 168 swiftychampleone @ 10/25/13 11:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBleedingRed21
You cannot say the trade logic is already broken without playing the game. They claim its improved and I think 2K has the track record that we can trust them.

With next gen, hopefully comes smart AI decisions with the new hardware, if not, then yes, we complain then, but it does no good to say its bad when you haven't even tried it.
Once again, it's not a matter of trade logic being flawed or not. It's always going to be "flawed" when I can't have an option to control it. CPU does a trade? What if I don't like the trade they made? What do I do then?

# 169 Slater James @ 10/25/13 11:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketTMac1
Ok in a 30 Team Association you can do everything.

1. You can set rotations the way you want them. Manu and Jason Terry not being starters are one of my major things I do. Also having role players start but not log a lot of minutes (Deshawn Stevenson and UD come to mind) is another. You can edit players on every team according to how you view their personal games. If I think Rudy Gay is overrated in one area but can improve over the course of the season then I'll but his Def Awareness down and do various drills to get it up.

2. Prospect Scouting and Drafts: Certain teams shouldn't be looking at multiple point guards when they have guys like Rondo, Kyrie, Westbrook etc. The CPU has always had a tendency to overstock certain positions during the draft.

3. Coaching Staff/Cap/Realistic Simulation in Free Agency: Like the draft things happen where you scratch your head and say that type of team would never get that player or let that coach go. Certain teams don't behave like they should. People may think that consumers that play 30 team Associations do it to make things easier on themselves but for the most part they keep it true to the actual league itself.

4. Simply not being able to choose one team: I for the life of me can never just choose one team. I love being able to see and help direct every team in the league. But I do it realistically. If the Spurs are on the decline and need to make a move to keep Tim in the title race for one more year then I'll make a financial move that the Spurs would make to get a solid player to keep them as contenders.

Those are things that come to my head right away. Things that I for one am afraid of losing the ability to do. MyGM to me simply has to have the option to have a 30 teams usable by the consumer. That gives people this fresh experience coupled with the old feel of being in control of their league.
So you guys basically compensate for the problems the mode has. This means that these issues really need to be taken care of to a reasonable extent or the backlash will be two-fold. People pissed because the mode still has problems and they don't have the means to address the repercussions.

# 170 poster @ 10/25/13 12:01 PM
So there are no real GM's in the game, and when you play this mode, you start out as a 20 year old player/GM guy who does both?

Can anyone answer these questions? I thought the game had real owners/gm's listed in the personal/whatever it was called area of your association.

# 171 SoundsLikeScone @ 10/25/13 12:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by poster
So there are no real GM's in the game, and when you play this mode, you start out as a 20 year old player/GM guy who does both?

Can anyone answer these questions? I thought the game had real owners/gm's listed in the personal/whatever it was called area of your association.
Since it seems to be a seperate mode from MyPlayer, I assume you are just a 20 year old GM in this mode

# 172 cthurt @ 10/25/13 12:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by poster

I really want to know why do we have to create a gm, why couldnt it be optional, I mean I love realism so the whole myplayer movement was never for me, but now that its kind of being forced on me through the only mode I play I feel like my relationship with 2k is growing further apart.

It most likely is a good mode but it still would have been good without the myplayer part being in it, thats all im saying. And the preview picture of the myplayer guy talking to the player with the stars and other designs in his hair didnt make me feel anybetter about this mode from a realism aspect.

# 173 RocketTMac1 @ 10/25/13 12:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slater James
So you guys basically compensate for the problems the mode has. This means that these issues really need to be taken care of to a reasonable extent or the backlash will be two-fold. People pissed because the mode still has problems and they don't have the means to address the repercussions.

That is true. But at the end of the day I (don't want to speak for others) want to still manage teams. GM Mode to me would be great knowing both ends of a deal. Or getting into the LeBron sweepstakes and seeing how each team pitches to him and seeing the ramifications of not signing him.

GM Mode has a very interesting foundation. But the freedom and customization to me will make it one of the best modes a sports game has seen IMO.

# 174 Leftos @ 10/25/13 12:56 PM
Building your MyPLAYER before going into MyGM can be a process that takes 1 second or 5 minutes, depending on whether you want to spend time changing his name and customizing his appearance. We're not forcing something that will take an arbitrarily long amount of time. You can delve right into MyGM.

# 175 cthurt @ 10/25/13 01:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leftos
Building your MyPLAYER before going into MyGM can be a process that takes 1 second or 5 minutes, depending on whether you want to spend time changing his name and customizing his appearance. We're not forcing something that will take an arbitrarily long amount of time. You can delve right into MyGM.
Its not the time it takes to create a guy thats an issue though, my only issue is that I have to have a myplayer to play the gm mode at all. I think and I could be alone in this way of thinking but in the future having a choice between a myplayer gm or the actual team gm would be a nice feature. But maybe thats not possible idk.

# 176 blingballa333 @ 10/25/13 01:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftychampleone
Once again, it's not a matter of trade logic being flawed or not. It's always going to be "flawed" when I can't have an option to control it. CPU does a trade? What if I don't like the trade they made? What do I do then?
It's not your team so I don't entirely see why it should concern you. BUT, I don't play association very often so I don't know what kind of trades happen.

They must be pretty ridiculous.

# 177 RocketTMac1 @ 10/25/13 01:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by royounggoku
Ok your MyPlayer being the GM is unrealistic but is it really THAT big a deal?
To some yes it is. Some people like everything as realistic as possible. I really want to see if they can get GM's and owners like Madden. Things for me would be fun. MyPlayer should stay in MyPlayer.

# 178 cthurt @ 10/25/13 01:13 PM
Quote:
Ok your MyPlayer being the GM is unrealistic but is it really THAT big a deal?
For me a guy that never really got into the myplayer mode since it first started back in 2k10 its some what of a big deal. I and im only speaking for myself would rather the myplayer theme stay with the myplayer modes rather then being part of every mode in the game.

Now would this mode be better without creating a myplayer gm, I doubt it but would it be more realistic I have to say yes, and I love realism just my point of view though.

All im saying is for guys like myself an option to choose from a real gm or a created one would be nice.

# 179 RocketTMac1 @ 10/25/13 01:24 PM
Quote:
I remember as a kid loving the fact that you had to make your own GM in 2k5, it was crazy fun. I wondered ever since what happened to it and why'd they take it out. It sounds like they're making it the 2k5 association x100 and absolutely cool with that.
I really didn't like that to be honest with you. I barely played that mode. I simply did Season lol. I say the more options the better. If you want to create your own GM then go right ahead. But if you want to use all 30 GM's then go right ahead.

Freedom and Customization.

# 180 King_B_Mack @ 10/25/13 01:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cthurt
Its not the time it takes to create a guy thats an issue though, my only issue is that I have to have a myplayer to play the gm mode at all. I think and I could be alone in this way of thinking but in the future having a choice between a myplayer gm or the actual team gm would be a nice feature. But maybe thats not possible idk.
Dude, the my player is the thing you create when you start the game. It's literally been in like the last three games and nobody has bitched about it until right now. You were already "forced" to create a MyPlayer. If you didn't have a problem with the profile/character you were forced to create for the last three years at least (maybe since 2K11 too, I can't remember) then don't start bitching about it now to boost your non-30 team association rage. Trust me we all understand your anger about that, no need to try to add extra layers onto your plight.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.