Home
NBA Live 14 News Post

Check out the latest NBA Live 14 blog, which discusses how you need to maintain a rhythm of the dribble, instead of spamming the controls. When getting into a rhythm, it becomes easier to chain from levels 1, 2 and 3.

The blog also discusses defensive controls and introduces the defensive slide feature. You will be able to attempt a dig steal, contest, and take a charge with the right stick. You will play against team specific defenses. So something that might work one night, won't work against a team that defends specific plays better on another night. You can adjust your team or specific individuals on the fly to come over the top of screens or go underneath, force players a certain direction, pressure the ball, post defense, double teams and more.

Make sure you read the entire blog here.

NBA Live 14 screenshot gallery - Click to view NBA Live 14 screenshot gallery - Click to view NBA Live 14 screenshot gallery - Click to view NBA Live 14 screenshot gallery - Click to view
Game: NBA Live 14Reader Score: 4/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS4 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 17 - View All
NBA Live 14 Videos
Member Comments
# 61 amazspidey @ 11/02/13 02:27 AM
Love the End read below about Defense ( you could just show us) but no just more dribbling.

# 62 Artur @ 11/02/13 03:26 AM
So what we got here?
Powerful next-gen platform and this poor dribbling moves and robotic current-gen doll players.
WTF EA? You must think I'm a complete idiot right? This dribbling looks exactly the same!

# 63 spacedog @ 11/02/13 04:21 AM
Wow a lot of this stuff definitely seems like nice features. It's good that live is working to implement these things, hopefully it pushes both bball games to improve like this year in and year out. It'd also be nice for Madden to incorporate these kinds of strategies lol being able to control how DBS play their receivers, which receivers they cover, etc. who knows, they did mention that features across different EA Sports games could make their ways to others in the following years. Looking forward to it

# 64 Sundown @ 11/02/13 05:36 AM
Dribbling input looks exactly like 2K. This is not a bad thing at all, but it's funny that they have practically identical RS mappings.

# 65 Gleebo @ 11/02/13 06:15 AM
The narrator of the videos seems like h cant contain his excitement....

# 66 bumpyface @ 11/02/13 06:27 AM
I have this coming through gamefly, definately won't spend $65 on it unless I'm blown away with my rented copy. I still can't believe we haven't seen more actual 5 vs 5 gameplay thus far. EA acting kind-of cocky right now.

# 67 alabamarob @ 11/02/13 09:25 AM
Live sounds like its game is more focused on fundamentals then 2k. I don't care about the graphics. If the game respects defensive fundamentals, ratings, and the advantages of organized offense and defense then live will be a good game. I have grown tired of the turbo, isolation, and 1 basketball of the last 2 years. Now you never know with ea. All this could be lip service, but if the blog is true (IF) then live will get a lot of my time. I appreciate this gameplay blog. We 2 weeks out and we know knowing about the GAMEPLAY aspects of the next gen games. Smh

# 68 frankwyte81 @ 11/02/13 09:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dukebeatsuncagain
If I had a nickel for every time someone's said "Where's the 5 v 5 gameplay"...

It will happen when it happens.
The dribble moves like robotic, indeed. But the defensive assignments seem cool on paper, want to see how that plays out. But as for gameplay vids, it will happen when you get the game in your house. Let's face, they are not going to show gameplay, EA won't risk losing out on that money.

# 69 shutdown10 @ 11/02/13 10:40 AM
The dribble moves do like nice, but does EA think we are naive. We need to see how all this translates to 5 on 5 game play on both sides of the ball. For a game trying to win over a community, they are doing a terrible job with all their secrecy. I want to see them be successful with this franchise, but they are slowing destroying themselves because a majority of the consumers in the basketball video game market do not trust them.

# 70 Boilerbuzz @ 11/02/13 11:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundown
Dribbling input looks exactly like 2K. This is not a bad thing at all, but it's funny that they have practically identical RS mappings.
Except the hold plays a movie (that you can interrupt) instead of shooting.

# 71 Boilerbuzz @ 11/02/13 11:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by alabamarob
Live sounds like its game is more focused on fundamentals then 2k.
Based on what? All we've seen is dribbling!

# 72 ScoobySnax @ 11/02/13 11:11 AM
I know people have been saying it doesn't look Next Gen, but if they can somewhat nail it on the gameplay side, I will buy. Graphics can be optimized over time.

Regarding the blog, I like what I'm seeing. Keep it coming, EA! Need that gameplay video soon or Gamefly it is. LOL.

# 73 alibomaye @ 11/02/13 11:34 AM
Correct me if I am wrong but neither NBA LIVE nor 2K has shown 5 on 5 gameplay right? Why is everybody so negative about live then? because they haven't released a game in awhile, ok if anything it speaks more on 2K part because they are in the same boat as live am I wrong both have yet to release 5 on 5 footage point blank. Anyway looking good live keep up the hard work.

# 74 JODYE @ 11/02/13 11:48 AM
People do realize that the dribbling controls that 2k uses were derived from Live right? People acting like Live somehow copied their system.

Anyway, a few things. Scooby, I agree and addressed his in another thread, but graphically, people need to lower their expectations. Especially with Live. They don't look bad to me, but they def can use some work but I expect that it will be a bigger focus once the put out a functional game from a gameplay perspective. I'm more curious to see what Live does from a presentation standpoint than anything.

In this video, there seems to a weird "lag" to the animations. Like visually, it looks like there is frames missing. It could be the camera or the mode that they shot this footage in, but I assume this is something we won't see in the final build.

Player models look to have some nice variation based on this video.

I'm with everyone else though, these defensive options intrigue me. The issue is, will they actually be functional? From a gameplay perspective, being able to have that level of control on defense is huge, especially if you are preparing for a certain team or player. Also, will allow you to really have certain teams playing defense like they do in real life. If this can work even 70% of how it is advertised, Live might have something special brewing with that.

# 75 jpdavis32 @ 11/02/13 11:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by alibomaye
Correct me if I am wrong but neither NBA LIVE nor 2K has shown 5 on 5 gameplay right? Why is everybody so negative about live then? because they haven't released a game in awhile, ok if anything it speaks more on 2K part because they are in the same boat as live am I wrong both have yet to release 5 on 5 footage point blank. Anyway looking good live keep up the hard work.
Actually 2k has at least shown a snippet of 5 on 5 gameplay with the Heat and Warriors demo they showed at their press conference. It wasnt a full game but it was something as opposed to Live who have shown nothing but a trailer that is not really 5 on 5 gameplay

# 76 RangersCruz @ 11/02/13 12:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by alibomaye
2k is established

EA went away with NBA live for a few years and then cancelled last yrs game they need to show us more then 2k does.

# 77 alabamarob @ 11/02/13 12:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boilerbuzz
Based on what? All we've seen is dribbling!
The key word is focus. Don't own either game so I never said which game was more fundamental.

1) live did a blog about defense.
2) live said ball is 100 tangible.
3) live said you cant just spam the dribble stick

2k has shown me a trailer and scripted gameplay that is chopped up and not continuous. In addition to the press day event where I learned nothing about defense, passing or ball tangibility which are 2ks main issues.

I plan on buying both, and I don't expect live to be better. My comment was about the focus of the makers. Implementation is different. Thanks for having me clarify.

# 78 OGSPORTS @ 11/02/13 12:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RipCity71252
Props EA!

Been wanting these types of options on defense for a while now. But like most of you have said, it's all about the execution of these added details. If they do work thogh, I agree with bigeast...GAME CHANGER.

Excited to hear what they have in store for playcalling next week also. From the podcast with Scott a while back, he mentioned the system being free from flipping through pages of plays so it'll be interesting to see how that was achieved.

This synergy partnership could be big for EA. Hopefully they use it to not only update the D schemes but playbooks as well. So many new coaches this year, so it's going to be cool to see if they could do this for the community.
Yes, no more flipping through pages on play calling anymore. You're going to like it. All types of options will be at your disposal.

# 79 magicman32 @ 11/02/13 12:25 PM
Hmmm...Another blog video with guards on the court DRIBBLING BY THEMSELVES. Alrighty then.

It will be interesting to see how gamers respond to this dribble system. Will they claim it's not as responsive as they would like since timing is so key to pulling off the moves? Besides the frame rate issue, it looks good. But I've been saying that since the E3 demo. And that's pretty much all they've shown. The little bit of 5 on 5 gameplay they did show from the trailer wasn't received well.

It would of been nice to see examples of some of this defense that was talk about in the blog. Hell, even show us examples of on ball defense and how the defense engages the ball handler.

# 80 OGSPORTS @ 11/02/13 12:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13
People do realize that the dribbling controls that 2k uses were derived from Live right? People acting like Live somehow copied their system.

Anyway, a few things. Scooby, I agree and addressed his in another thread, but graphically, people need to lower their expectations. Especially with Live. They don't look bad to me, but they def can use some work but I expect that it will be a bigger focus once the put out a functional game from a gameplay perspective. I'm more curious to see what Live does from a presentation standpoint than anything.

In this video, there seems to a weird "lag" to the animations. Like visually, it looks like there is frames missing. It could be the camera or the mode that they shot this footage in, but I assume this is something we won't see in the final build.

Player models look to have some nice variation based on this video.

I'm with everyone else though, these defensive options intrigue me. The issue is, will they actually be functional? From a gameplay perspective, being able to have that level of control on defense is huge, especially if you are preparing for a certain team or player. Also, will allow you to really have certain teams playing defense like they do in real life. If this can work even 70% of how it is advertised, Live might have something special brewing with that.
Yes they are very functional. We have guys in the studio that like to play with different teams just because of the team specific defense. Some gamer's like to play off ball d, some like to play on ball d, it was important to make sure that we had both covered.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.