Home
NBA Live 14 News Post

Check out the latest NBA Live 14 blog, which discusses how you need to maintain a rhythm of the dribble, instead of spamming the controls. When getting into a rhythm, it becomes easier to chain from levels 1, 2 and 3.

The blog also discusses defensive controls and introduces the defensive slide feature. You will be able to attempt a dig steal, contest, and take a charge with the right stick. You will play against team specific defenses. So something that might work one night, won't work against a team that defends specific plays better on another night. You can adjust your team or specific individuals on the fly to come over the top of screens or go underneath, force players a certain direction, pressure the ball, post defense, double teams and more.

Make sure you read the entire blog here.

NBA Live 14 screenshot gallery - Click to view NBA Live 14 screenshot gallery - Click to view NBA Live 14 screenshot gallery - Click to view NBA Live 14 screenshot gallery - Click to view
Game: NBA Live 14Reader Score: 4/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS4 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 17 - View All
NBA Live 14 Videos
Member Comments
# 81 JODYE @ 11/02/13 12:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by OGSPORTS
Yes they are very functional. We have guys in the studio that like to play with different teams just because of the team specific defense. Some gamer's like to play off ball d, some like to play on ball d, it was important to make sure that we had both covered.
This is great to hear.

So for instance, a team like Chicago likes to pack the paint and focus on closeouts on shooters, while on the flip side a team like Houston, likes to stay up on ball handlers and funnel them towards the paint. Are these paramaters also available? IE, "Play off shooters" or "Shade Paint" etc. (Just making those up)

Will these identities be definitive, and will we be able to customize a teams identity to play to these tendencies? I'm envisioning in a franchise mode, where you're acquiring different players and your identity changes over a period of time.

And next question is when can I come play and give feedback!?!? I'm in Maitland man, right next door!!!

# 82 DirtyJerz32 @ 11/02/13 12:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 32
Thanks for taking time to answer some questions.

I have one for you that you'll probably not be able to answer. Everything is starting to come together, but when are we going to get some 5 on 5 gameplay froma playable camera?
OB, any chance we can get an answer to this?

What you guys are showing is great so far. Loved the controls of Live 10 and it looks like you guys have just expanded on what was already there.

# 83 Gosens6 @ 11/02/13 12:49 PM
I'm just gonna say this, if what the Live team is saying is true about all these different settings, it could set up a real chess match between the user and the AI, and another user for sure.

Being able to continuously change your defensive settings on the fly, the multitude of options and strategy that goes with planning your defense against certain teams and players is damn near orgasmic for a defensive nut like myself.

Having to plan your offensive game around the type of defense you're going to face is always fantastic. It really shows the strategy side of the NBA, and will really make you think about the team you're going up against, and allows teams like the Bulls and Pacers to really dominate teams defensively.

If the game plays even close to a real simulation of basketball on the court, I might have to pick up both games this year. I want these settings to work so badly as advertised, EA has actually got me excited for the game IF THESE WORK. I can look past the graphics if the gameplay blows me away.

# 84 RangersCruz @ 11/02/13 01:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gosens6
I'm just gonna say this, if what the Live team is saying is true about all these different settings, it could set up a real chess match between the user and the AI, and another user for sure.

Being able to continuously change your defensive settings on the fly, the multitude of options and strategy that goes with planning your defense against certain teams and players is damn near orgasmic for a defensive nut like myself.

Having to plan your offensive game around the type of defense you're going to face is always fantastic. It really shows the strategy side of the NBA, and will really make you think about the team you're going up against, and allows teams like the Bulls and Pacers to really dominate teams defensively.

If the game plays even close to a real simulation of basketball on the court, I might have to pick up both games this year. I want these settings to work so badly as advertised, EA has actually got me excited for the game IF THESE WORK. I can look past the graphics if the gameplay blows me away.
Yeah we'll have to see some gameplay it all sounds good and it should to get fans interested

# 85 Boilerbuzz @ 11/02/13 01:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by alabamarob
The key word is focus. Don't own either game so I never said which game was more fundamental.

1) live did a blog about defense.
2) live said ball is 100 tangible.
3) live said you cant just spam the dribble stick

2k has shown me a trailer and scripted gameplay that is chopped up and not continuous. In addition to the press day event where I learned nothing about defense, passing or ball tangibility which are 2ks main issues.

I plan on buying both, and I don't expect live to be better. My comment was about the focus of the makers. Implementation is different. Thanks for having me clarify.
Wait, what? Live had a blog. 2K had a full fledge press event where the press was able to ask thousands of questions. 2K HAS shown 5v5 gameplay. But this isn't about 2K as it's already a KNOWN commodity. As for Live:

1. They did a blog on defensive SETTINGS. Most of those settings have been in Live already! And the video they showed was of, you guessed it, dribbling.
2. Live said the ball was 100% tangible. That's not news. That's been done before and people whined about some of the potential side effects. And we've all been down the path of comparing what EA says, versus what we actually get in a game.
3. You can't just spam the dribble stick. Again - so? You know what that means - all that "instant response" people have lauded Live for is gone. I played with it at E3 and I saw this coming. *I* think it's good. It's "authentic". But that notch in the belt is gone. How will the Live apologist excuse this since this has been a hallmark of the series?

At the end of the day, if you're comparing, none of those points express any more or less of a focus on fundamentals. Just the PRESS is all gaga over graphics doesn't mean there is less of a focus on fundamentals. If anything, your criticizing one team for what's not being covered, but you're not paying attention to what's not being SAID by the other.

# 86 DirtyJerz32 @ 11/02/13 02:04 PM
Guys can you please stay on the topic of Live controls and coaching? Leave the other game comparison to that thread please.

If you want to compair the two, use the basketball other forum.

# 87 fluent2332 @ 11/02/13 02:20 PM
I'm not surprised that Live will have this level of depth on defense. People seem to forget that Live 10 was a pretty solid game. My friends and I would have chess matches in that game with the depth it had.

# 88 CaliDude916 @ 11/02/13 02:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoobySnax
I know people have been saying it doesn't look Next Gen, but if they can somewhat nail it on the gameplay side, I will buy. Graphics can be optimized over time.

Regarding the blog, I like what I'm seeing. Keep it coming, EA! Need that gameplay video soon or Gamefly it is. LOL.
Exactly my thoughts as well.

# 89 RangersCruz @ 11/02/13 02:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliDude916
Exactly my thoughts as well.
Couldn't do anything through a patch with the graphics right? heard some people talking about that but i doubt it

# 90 ccoaxum @ 11/02/13 03:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by OGSPORTS
Like I mentioned on the Press Row, It's all about balance. I don't see it as a problem. I'm excited to hear your feedback on BounceTek when the game drops.
sounds good man...is their going to be a demo the ps4 on launch day(nov 15)?

# 91 bmgoff11 @ 11/02/13 03:17 PM
CAn live do a video on post moves....btw like the blog.

# 92 DirtyJerz32 @ 11/02/13 03:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccoaxum
sounds good man...is their going to be a demo the ps4 on launch day(nov 15)?
I think it's already been confirmed no demo.

# 93 ccoaxum @ 11/02/13 03:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundown
Dribbling input looks exactly like 2K. This is not a bad thing at all, but it's funny that they have practically identical RS mappings.
but you would shoot the ball now on 2k if you hold the right stick a certain direction..live is not like that at all and besides live had the dribble stick first

# 94 WaddupCouzin @ 11/02/13 03:23 PM
Sounds really good on paper, and in 19 or so days we'll see how it's implemented whether it's trash or well conceived. That's the beauty of the next 19 days, I don't care whether Live puts out anything or not, in 19 days we'll see it all anyway, the good, the bad, and the ugly!

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

# 95 ccoaxum @ 11/02/13 03:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by alabamarob
The key word is focus. Don't own either game so I never said which game was more fundamental.

1) live did a blog about defense.
2) live said ball is 100 tangible.
3) live said you cant just spam the dribble stick

2k has shown me a trailer and scripted gameplay that is chopped up and not continuous. In addition to the press day event where I learned nothing about defense, passing or ball tangibility which are 2ks main issues.

I plan on buying both, and I don't expect live to be better. My comment was about the focus of the makers. Implementation is different. Thanks for having me clarify.
amen! i agree

# 96 ccoaxum @ 11/02/13 03:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boilerbuzz
Wait, what? Live had a blog. 2K had a full fledge press event where the press was able to ask thousands of questions. 2K HAS shown 5v5 gameplay. But this isn't about 2K as it's already a KNOWN commodity. As for Live:

1. They did a blog on defensive SETTINGS. Most of those settings have been in Live already! And the video they showed was of, you guessed it, dribbling.
2. Live said the ball was 100% tangible. That's not news. That's been done before and people whined about some of the potential side effects. And we've all been down the path of comparing what EA says, versus what we actually get in a game.
3. You can't just spam the dribble stick. Again - so? You know what that means - all that "instant response" people have lauded Live for is gone. I played with it at E3 and I saw this coming. *I* think it's good. It's "authentic". But that notch in the belt is gone. How will the Live apologist excuse this since this has been a hallmark of the series?

At the end of the day, if you're comparing, none of those points express any more or less of a focus on fundamentals. Just the PRESS is all gaga over graphics doesn't mean there is less of a focus on fundamentals. If anything, your criticizing one team for what's not being covered, but you're not paying attention to what's not being SAID by the other.
which means yall have nothing to be arguing about right now...lol smh

# 97 ccoaxum @ 11/02/13 03:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 32
I think it's already been confirmed no demo.
o ok cause i remember at E3 they said it would be one..smh

# 98 DirtyJerz32 @ 11/02/13 04:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccoaxum
o ok cause i remember at E3 they said it would be one..smh
I've been wrong before, I really thought they said there wouldn't be one.

# 99 Gosens6 @ 11/02/13 04:07 PM
A demo would be glorious. Even though all these defensive options are glorious, I can't trust EA on word of mouth, especially if it means i'll be spending money on 2 basketball games.

# 100 JODYE @ 11/02/13 04:09 PM
I believe they addressed the fact that there would be no demo a while ago.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.