Home
WWE 2K14 News Post

When 2K Sports took over the WWE license from THQ, I think most users were cautiously optimistic that a breath of fresh air would help take the franchise to the next level. WWE '13 was undoubtedly a great step forward for the series, as the gameplay and crowd reaction had started to resemble something approximating actual “sports entertainment,” and the introduction of the Attitude Era mode was a compelling nostalgia itch that helped repackage your memories of a cool time in WWE history into something worthwhile.

The reality is that WWE 2K14 likely had a compressed development schedule, and for the most part, 2K has just done what it needed to do to push the cart forward for one more year. This isn't to say that there aren't some solid changes to the gameplay — and this year's 30 Years of Wrestlemania mode is a fun time, to be sure — but much of what you'll get here is quite familiar if you played WWE '13.

Read More - WWE 2K14 Review (360/PS3)

Game: WWE 2K14Hype Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 15 - View All
WWE 2K14 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 Gramps91 @ 11/04/13 10:17 AM
Nice Review.

# 2 WhiteMan22 @ 11/04/13 01:09 PM
Weird, because I think that the gameplay flow is better than ever. One of the main reason why this game is amazing.

# 3 DBMcGee3 @ 11/04/13 03:04 PM
I find this game to be very much improved from last year. The AI is far better, as you actually see CPU opponents use their signature and finisher moves appropriately, and they aren't running outside the ring every single match to take the announce table apart. Also, as mentioned in the review, the reversals are harder because of the faster strikes, and the CPU does a better job than last year of mixing up the timing, so they can really string together some good offense if you aren't completely focused.

I haven't really delved beyond the 30 years of WM mode at this point, as I'm really enjoying the nostalgia, and also I want to unlock everything, but just based off of the 12 or 13 matches I've played, I am very pleased. I can't wait to get home and play that Razor Ramon/HBK ladder match again. Lost a nail biter this morning!

# 4 inkcil @ 11/04/13 04:33 PM
Ev'year I rent this game and ev'year I return it after 3-5 days w/out looking back. So I don't have the "burnout" on the series (or many of its attributes, such as the commentary) that the reviewer seems to have. 14 was the first year I rented that I decided I want to buy the game. Sometimes you have to have 2 perspectives on a review - one from the "legacy" player and one from the perspective of the new player. A player who comes into this game w/out having suffered burnout on the series will rate it higher.

# 5 CM Hooe @ 11/04/13 05:44 PM
Not sure how scoring the bug-filled WWE '13 as a better game than WWE 2K14 is justified. '13 received an 8.0 from this website, notwithstanding there were features of that game that flat-out did not work as advertised (looking at you, Universe mode and Community Creations servers). In addition, there was notorious two-count bug which removed all drama from user-vs-AI or AI-vs-AI matches; with drama being arguably the most important component of professional wrestling, these two things in tandem absolutely ruined last year's game for me, notwithstanding how great Attitude Era mode was (and I agree that AE tops 30 Years of Wrestlemania mode on account of cohesiveness of the package).

If there's anything at all about this game to like, it's far more polished than any Yuke's wrestling game to-date, and that alone makes it much better than last year's game for me.

Ultimately this is just a difference of opinion between the reviewer and I, however. I'm enjoying the game, that's all that really matters for me.

# 6 Wiggy @ 11/04/13 05:55 PM
Re: inkcil and CM Hooe

I agree. I'm not a complete legacy player of WWE games (even though I've played many of them), but I reviewed this year's game on how it stands as a wrestling product that is meant to entertain a wide audience (as started by last year's foray into nostalgia).

I didn't review last year's game, but I think an 8 is a fair score for what it was. I agree that there are improvements to this year's game, as I pointed out (Universe Mode, slight gameplay tweaks), but for me, the online play is still a major drag, the nostalgia mode this year isn't as compelling, and the presentation isn't where it needs to be for a sports entertainment product.

A 7.5 is still a good score. I'm glad you're both enjoying the game, as there is still lots of good stuff on offer.

# 7 yanksfan216 @ 11/04/13 10:29 PM
Sooo SummerSlam mode next year? Or go big and have Summer Slam, Survivor Series and Royal Rumble Moments to play out?

# 8 WhiteMan22 @ 11/04/13 11:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by yanksfan216
Sooo SummerSlam mode next year? Or go big and have Summer Slam, Survivor Series and Royal Rumble Moments to play out?
They should just stop with those kind of modes. They were fun and all, but we need a full focus GM type mode.

If anything, they could add a myplayer mode similar to NBA2K but I'm not sure how it would work in regards to wrestling.

# 9 R9NALD9 @ 11/05/13 05:10 AM
Don't agree at all with the score.

I would happily give WWE 2k14 a 9.

The gameplay is probably the best it's been since Shut Your Mouth in 2006 with the AI being aggressive and using their signature moves accurately.

The AI is so much improved that in one match against Randy Savage he did his signature move on me, and now had a finisher stored. Problem was I was out on the floor and blocking his path to the turnbuckle. He exited the ring and walked on the apron to the corner, climbed the turnbuckle and did his finisher. I can't remember when last I saw AI this great in a wrestling game.

The gameplay is insanely fun, and I've replayed a lot of the 30YWM matches just because of how fun they were, especially the Razor Shawn Michaels ladder match. I'm only at WM16 but know for sure I'll be replaying the mode at least one more time.

The matches flow very nicely, and the reversal system is perfect except that they could still make a bit harder for the user to counter. That can be done in sliders though, haven't tried as yet.

I can easily recommend WWE 2k14 to any old, current or new wrestling fan. I haven't watched wrestling since 2006, and only started watching it in 94...but still enjoyed the 80's WM stuff. It's very well presented!

Plus the roster is the best we will ever have in a wrestling game! Rumors are that this might be the last game to feature Hogan. Plus you have NWO fully featured, Savege, Warrior, Austin, Rock, Goldberg, Batista, Razor, Diesel, Bret Hart, Yokozuna etc.

This game took me away from GTA 5...that says it all.

# 10 CM Hooe @ 11/05/13 11:49 AM
There are certain things about the AI that I hope to see improve going forward - I think that high-flyers should try top-rope / high-risk attacks more often, for example, and I'm noticing AI wrestlers tend to use their comeback ability relatively early in the match and often unsuccessfully - but in general I agree that the AI is much better this year. Its attack approach is more varied, it is more aggressive, and it executes OMG moments more organically rather than forcing the issue whenever it has a stored special.

# 11 coke hogan @ 11/05/13 08:43 PM
why no mention of cut scenes in universe mode?
were there any new ones and such?

# 12 Sheba2011 @ 11/07/13 10:31 PM
The problem fo mer with WWE 2k14 is that underneath the shiny coat of paint and the nostagic reminders of my youth this is still the same exact game I have been playing for years now. Everything feels exactly the same with a few minor tweaks (reversals). That is not necessarily a bad thing but it just doesn't warrant me spending $60 on it, this is the type of game I will wait a few months to buy if it I buy it at all.

# 13 DBMcGee3 @ 11/08/13 09:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba2011
The problem fo mer with WWE 2k14 is that underneath the shiny coat of paint and the nostagic reminders of my youth this is still the same exact game I have been playing for years now. Everything feels exactly the same with a few minor tweaks (reversals). That is not necessarily a bad thing but it just doesn't warrant me spending $60 on it, this is the type of game I will wait a few months to buy if it I buy it at all.
I couldn't disagree more man, with all due respect. The computer AI alone is such a huge improvement that it's a night and day difference for me. Also, the customization options are much, much better this year and 2k's servers are lightning fast compared to previous years, making it very easy to search and download any CAW, arena, etc that your heart desires. I've just been playing the WM mode on hard (default sliders), and it has been incredibly enjoyable. I probably win more than I lose, but it always feels fair and there are several exciting moments in each match that just didn't happen as frequently with the dumbed down AI in the past. Nice to know that I'm getting fun, competitive matches and I still have another difficulty level to bump up to if needed. Best wrestling game ever made by far, sorry No Mercy.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.