Home
NBA 2K14 News Post

We just got a new screenshot from the folks at 2K Sports of MyGM mode on next-gen consoles. Billed as a complete re-imagination of the franchise mode. The newest shot shows what is likely one of the first screens you'll see in the game: building your GM and picking a style.

Will you specialize in the art of negotiating? Or perhaps you want to be a businessman to maximize your bottom line? If you become an expert in assessing Emotional Intelligence, you will have the powers of persuasion at your disposal.

In the shot below, you see the GM level up options. There are seven different attribute categories with 10 upgrades in each category. Also, you can acquire GM-specific special abilities to use to get a leg up on the competition.

What do you think about the RPG-like elements we're seeing from MyGM?

NBA 2K14 screenshot gallery - Click to view
Game: NBA 2K14Reader Score: 6.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS3 / PS4 / Wii U / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 98 - View All
NBA 2K14 Videos
Member Comments
# 81 Sinner @ 11/05/13 08:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzMan
Everyone in this thread needs to chill out or something. Ya'll are getting fired up about a game that's not even out yet. Can't wait to see these forums once it drops.
Yeah it's not out but they are ONLY releasing screens of the game, and in these screens we see VC which IMO is one of the worse things 2k could have done to this series. People are going to react on what they see, now if they released these and said VC isn't part of this mode it would be different...I really hated MyPlayer getting an NBA contract payed with VC.

# 82 BluFu @ 11/05/13 08:28 PM
Quote:
Everyone in this thread needs to chill out or something. Ya'll are getting fired up about a game that's not even out yet. Can't wait to see these forums once it drops.
so.... you're ok with having to use vc to be a real gm? i unlock "abilities" like ticket pricing because i'm "level 6"? not because i'm what..... an.... idunno.... an actual gm? the basis of the mode is to be the most successful GM possible so why should i need vc to do that? that's like using vc to play games in quick match or dribble the ball in mycareer...

dumb..

# 83 JazzMan @ 11/05/13 08:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluFu
so.... you're ok with having to use vc to be a real gm? i unlock "abilities" like ticket pricing because i'm "level 6"? not because i'm what..... an.... idunno.... an actual gm? the basis of the mode is to be the most successful GM possible so why should i need vc to do that? that's like using vc to play games in quick match or dribble the ball in mycareer...

dumb..
Lol this is ridiculous. You're getting worked up over a virtual currency.

We don't know how the mode will play out with VC, but I'm sure it's just fine. The point of the VC is to make the game have a competitive feel to it. What's the fun of doing all of this if you come right out of the gate as a GM with no experience and can craft the perfect team to become a dynasty in a year or two?

VC gives the mode depth. If you can do everything right out of the gate then it's no fun at all.

This isn't Live that we're talking about. We know that 2k will deliver.

# 84 Gosens6 @ 11/05/13 08:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnydee
does anyone know if we will be able to scan our face with the ps4 eye or the kinect. For out my player and my gm
It's been confirmed that no, this is not a feature in the game

Sent from the Dungeon Of Doom using Tapatalk

# 85 BluFu @ 11/05/13 08:56 PM
Quote:
We don't know how the mode will play out with VC, but I'm sure it's just fine. The point of the VC is to make the game have a competitive feel to it. What's the fun of doing all of this if you come right out of the gate as a GM with no experience and can craft the perfect team to become a dynasty in a year or two?

the game mode can be competitive and fun with good offcourt AI decisions/logic combined with user creativity. despite the bad AI in previous titles, with a good storyline, it was easy to have fun in assoc. i realize this isn't assoc and i'm welcome to accept new things (only started playing assoc in 2k12) but 2k really needs to show us what this mode is about.

# 86 barrman7 @ 11/05/13 09:00 PM
It was always in the back of my mind that VC was apart of this mode so im not too surprised.. Just like any other company out there, they're trying to make as much money as possible. EA does it as well but we all know how much hell they catch for it lol. It sucks, it really does, but in all honesty Im still just as amped to pick this game up as I was before.

# 87 Lifecns @ 11/05/13 09:10 PM
I see they took a page out of EA's Connected Careers.

# 88 Jrocc23 @ 11/05/13 09:18 PM
I knew they would incorporate VC into this mode. Can't even do an association mode without it now smh.

Now, it will be very bad once they say we cannot edit players, use created players etc. That's how it's looking.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

# 89 Optik @ 11/05/13 09:52 PM
Quote:
Lol this is ridiculous. You're getting worked up over a virtual currency.

VC gives the mode depth. If you can do everything right out of the gate then it's no fun at all.

You actually don't have any clue what you're talking about.

# 90 VDusen04 @ 11/05/13 10:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khaos_Kiwi

VC......

# 91 turty11 @ 11/05/13 10:06 PM
we will have to pay for contracts with VC ^^

hopefully this means our contracts from mycareer will be on scale with association...

# 92 2ksportsnut @ 11/05/13 10:07 PM
VC in Blacktop. Then Crew got thrown on Blacktop for VC. VC in MyTeam and now VC in MyGM.

The direction 2k is going in with this whole VC money grab crap in almost every mode now makes me sick.

# 93 Kaleb @ 11/05/13 10:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VDusen04
I lost it when I saw this. I love the it crowd.

# 94 turty11 @ 11/05/13 10:12 PM
so apparently wearing a headband costs more financially than completely repricing and a franchises products 3 different times.... because thats SOOOO real

# 95 Melbournelad @ 11/05/13 10:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Optik
Seems cheap to create a style (especially for this mode) to give you an advantage in some part of the game. Once again, the game is holding the gamer's hand.

In Football Manager, they don't give you a style to choose. You decide how you want to manage and then the game tracks several stats out of 20, that measure your style. You have stats for financial responsibility, attitude to foreigners and temperament. These stats are useful when a club is considering you to be their new manager. Your reputation and experience can make players either respect you, or think you're not good enough to be managing the club, and all this can have an effect on the pitch.

You should have to learn how to manage people's emotions, not just choose psychologist and then it becomes easier to manage people's emotions. When Phil Jackson came into coaching, he didn't choose a box that said psychologist which just gave him special powers, he has a naturally cool temperament combined with a knowledge of psychology, and it took experience for him to get better at it.

This is disappointing.
This. Couldn't agree more.

# 96 Melbournelad @ 11/05/13 10:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gosens6
Really? Seems cheap? All it's doing is simulating the fact that some GMs are better than others in certain areas. Some guys are good at business decisions, others at finances, others at managing players.

What the hell is so cheap about giving us a way to differentiate and have a certain speciality that other GMs might not have?

I didn't know that everyone had to be the same with no special qualities and nothing to bring to their job.

Sent from the Dungeon Of Doom using Tapatalk
Gosen, have you played Football manager? A MyGM mode in the realm of that would be outstanding.

The issue is that how your team does and how you perform as a GM should be based on your decisions, not all this "levelling up" and buying VC garbage. And we differentiate from other GM's based on our decisions already. We don't need special purchased skills to make us stand out.

# 97 Eman5805 @ 11/05/13 10:30 PM
VC isn't going anywhere, people. Why? Because they can sell VC with actual money. Which is what they need to keep making games.

Think sending people out to get face scans of almost every player is free? Costs money. Everything costs money and way I figure, either they add in-game transactions that curb you to taking the easy way out and paying for more perks or paying $89.99 for a game or more.

I hate VC as much as the next, but this is how things go. It's a reason why franchises that were once always single player are tacking on multiplayer and having buyable weapons packages or character DLCs....$$$$ y'all.

# 98 VDusen04 @ 11/05/13 10:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eman5805
VC isn't going anywhere, people. Why? Because they can sell VC with actual money. Which is what they need to keep making games.

Think sending people out to get face scans of almost every player is free? Costs money. Everything costs money and way I figure, either they add in-game transactions that curb you to taking the easy way out and paying for more perks or paying $89.99 for a game or more.

I hate VC as much as the next, but this is how things go. It's a reason why franchises that were once always single player are tacking on multiplayer and having buyable weapons packages or character DLCs....$$$$ y'all.
I'm not sure I'm on that ship. I mean, I do not dispute the idea of game development costing a significant amount of money. But I do not believe introducing virtual currency into every. single. possible. mode is necessary to keep 2K afloat. I do not believe virtual currency is even necessary for them to continue creating an outstanding product.

In the scheme of things, in comparison to the six million or so $60 games sold alone, I cannot see virtual currency sales putting much of a dent into their overall profit, though I admit "dent" is a relative term.

Instead, I think virtual currency (alongside other recent 2K implementations) are an attempt to appeal to a... different fanbase than 2K used to primarily cater toward. Whereas before it felt like their mantra was, "If you're a real deal basketball fan, this is the game for you" it now feels like, "If you're anyone, we want you to buy this game. Look, we even included shiny things."

# 99 Eman5805 @ 11/05/13 11:03 PM
It all adds up. Some people don't have the luxury of constant time to make their MyPlayer's good. It's easier to plop down the money for hte 10K VC point package and boost their stats until they're good enough.

If even a fourth of buyers bought that package even once, you're looking at a significant "dent." Enough to permeate the annoying feature into more game modes.

I just hope they never do go the way of forcing you to pay extra to do a quick game. Already bad enough you gotta spend VC to put accessories on your VC and even more for "name brand" stuff.

# 100 Melbournelad @ 11/05/13 11:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by royounggoku
Why don't people just not buy VC and earn it instead. Wouldn't that negate everyone's issues with it?
No, the issue is having VC in the mode at all. As many have said, Assocation/MyGM mode should be based soley on your decisions, NOT using VC to level up.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.