Home
NBA 2K14 News Post

We just got a new screenshot from the folks at 2K Sports of MyGM mode on next-gen consoles. Billed as a complete re-imagination of the franchise mode. The newest shot shows what is likely one of the first screens you'll see in the game: building your GM and picking a style.

Will you specialize in the art of negotiating? Or perhaps you want to be a businessman to maximize your bottom line? If you become an expert in assessing Emotional Intelligence, you will have the powers of persuasion at your disposal.

In the shot below, you see the GM level up options. There are seven different attribute categories with 10 upgrades in each category. Also, you can acquire GM-specific special abilities to use to get a leg up on the competition.

What do you think about the RPG-like elements we're seeing from MyGM?

NBA 2K14 screenshot gallery - Click to view
Game: NBA 2K14Reader Score: 6.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS3 / PS4 / Wii U / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 98 - View All
NBA 2K14 Videos
Member Comments
# 101 Sinner @ 11/05/13 11:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzMan
Lol this is ridiculous. You're getting worked up over a virtual currency.

We don't know how the mode will play out with VC, but I'm sure it's just fine. The point of the VC is to make the game have a competitive feel to it. What's the fun of doing all of this if you come right out of the gate as a GM with no experience and can craft the perfect team to become a dynasty in a year or two?

VC gives the mode depth. If you can do everything right out of the gate then it's no fun at all.

This isn't Live that we're talking about. We know that 2k will deliver.
The point of VC is strictly for them to make extra money, period....VC and competitive don't even belong in the same sentence. I play through the game and earn whatever VC I can...someone else (many people actually) goes and buys as much VC as they want to make their game easier, advance faster whatever....where is the competition in that? To see who can pull out their wallet the fastest? I can imagine they are happy with all the money they are getting from VC because it's still around but doesn't mean we have to like it.

# 102 VDusen04 @ 11/05/13 11:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eman5805
It all adds up. Some people don't have the luxury of constant time to make their MyPlayer's good. It's easier to plop down the money for hte 10K VC point package and boost their stats until they're good enough.

If even a fourth of buyers bought that package even once, you're looking at a significant "dent." Enough to permeate the annoying feature into more game modes.

I just hope they never do go the way of forcing you to pay extra to do a quick game. Already bad enough you gotta spend VC to put accessories on your VC and even more for "name brand" stuff.
Yeah, I guess the question at that point becomes, is the game-wide virtual currency carpet bombing worth the money gained in return?

Will the game make sales numbers and profitability priorities number 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6? Or is there some point where they'll step up and say, "Wait a minute... aren't we supposed to be making this game a realistic representation of NBA basketball? Then... why are gamers paying for socks with golden coins? And what's the story with us making gamers "level up" as acting general managers? That's not even remotely close to being real."

# 103 Melbournelad @ 11/05/13 11:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by royounggoku
Oh ok I think I understand now, you're saying we should let our decisions determine how good of a GM we are instead of the actual level of our GM.
Exactly. 10char

# 104 Melbournelad @ 11/05/13 11:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by royounggoku
I honestly don't have a problem with a level based system as it helps to differentiate the good from the bad.
Wouldn't it do the complete opposite of that? Levelling up would mean anyone, no matter how good you were, to buy their way (or accumulate VC) to the "highest level". Having it based on your decisions would actually help differentiate the good from the bad.

# 105 Sundown @ 11/05/13 11:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Optik
Seems cheap to create a style (especially for this mode) to give you an advantage in some part of the game. Once again, the game is holding the gamer's hand.

In Football Manager, they don't give you a style to choose. You decide how you want to manage and then the game tracks several stats out of 20, that measure your style. You have stats for financial responsibility, attitude to foreigners and temperament. These stats are useful when a club is considering you to be their new manager. Your reputation and experience can make players either respect you, or think you're not good enough to be managing the club, and all this can have an effect on the pitch.

You should have to learn how to manage people's emotions, not just choose psychologist and then it becomes easier to manage people's emotions. When Phil Jackson came into coaching, he didn't choose a box that said psychologist which just gave him special powers, he has a naturally cool temperament combined with a knowledge of psychology, and it took experience for him to get better at it.

This is disappointing.
I'm fine with this, as it's not that different from a "class" system in an RPG and RPGs can be plenty engaging.

Still, Football Manager sounds way more fun, but that's the entire game. I just hope MyGM isn't just a mode for grinding unlocks and VC for contracts like MyTeam is. That would be horrible.

# 106 FloorGeneral @ 11/05/13 11:46 PM
lol @ VC being in MyGM. I called it in a thread awhile back. That may be the Death Blow for real. No mode is safe anymore. The 2K world is all about the $$$. Not surprising, but it doesn't get much more disappointing. Sad day for me.

# 107 supermati @ 11/05/13 11:51 PM
Leftos clearly said he'd listen to feedback once people play the mode. Well, let me tell you, I don't even need to play the mode to know that VC HINDERS whatever good or bad experience MyGM was gonna offer.

It's just pointless for any franchise playing fan for many reasons.

For example: Suppose I'm playing a MyGM career with the Pelicans, I'm doing the right things and so I see some VC coming in. I'm close to buying an upgrade.

I then take a break and play some quick games. This results in more VC coming in.

I go back to MyGM with MORE VC than I had the last time I played it. I can now buy an upgrade "My GM" does not actually deserve.

Also, as it's been said before, even if the VC would stop being a cross-mode thing, it still makes the thing really annoying. Football Manager is a GREAT example mentioned in this thread. The Manager has a series of attributes that dynamically change depending on user made decisions. How is that not more immersive than VC is beyond me.

People being angry for the right reasons. VC being in MyGM and people hating it was a really predicable response if you ask me. I was excited about 2k14 next gen. But I'm really not buying a PS4 if the VC madness will be part of a game mode that is supposed to be an accurate representation of, well, being a GM.

# 108 Sundown @ 11/06/13 12:08 AM
Like I said before, VC for contracts would be TERRIBLE. We want to play with a realistic simulation of the current NBA CBA...

But ONE case where I think VC could be interesting-- if you were forced to convert VC to "2K NBA dollars" when paying the Luxury Tax for going over the salary cap.

You don't really feel the hurt when you're paying fake dollars you've made from fake tickets and fake concessions. But real owners generally dislike paying luxury tax unless they're big markets and potential contenders. Having to spend VC for the upkeep of expensive rosters would have a real world parallel and set the right kind of tone-- if you pay the tax with bought VC, it's literally money out of your pocket. It could even be fun managing when you'll pay VC for a title run and when you wont.

It'll establish a premium vs non-premium metagame, based exactly on real world scenarios and cap dynamics.

It makes a lot more sense than blowing half your rookie contract on an arm sleeve.

# 109 supermati @ 11/06/13 12:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundown
Like I said before, VC for contracts would be TERRIBLE. We want to play with the current NBA CBA...

But ONE case where I think VC could be interesting-- if you were forced to convert VC to "2K NBA dollars" when paying the Luxury Tax when you go over cap.

You don't really feel the hurt when you're paying fake dollars you've made from fake tickets and fake concessions. But real owners generally dislike paying luxury tax unless they're big markets and potential contenders. Having to spend VC for the upkeep of expensive rosters would have a real world parallel and set the right kind of tone-- if you pay for VC, it's literally money out of your pocket. It could even be fun managing when you'll pay VC for a title run and when you wont.

It makes a lot more sense than blowing half your rookie contract on an arm sleeve.
It's an interesting take. However, I feel that because we are playing GM and not Owner, I'd like it better if some owners would not let you pay luxury tax instead of having any VC involved. Exceeding your spending budget would put your job on the line.

# 110 Sundown @ 11/06/13 12:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by supermati
It's an interesting take. However, I feel that because we are playing GM and not Owner, I'd like it better if some owners would not let you pay luxury tax instead of having any VC involved. Exceeding your spending budget would put your job on the line.
We're part owners/GMs/coaches/players/trainers anyway, so I see MyGM as a simulation of the whole association (except when owners give you a goal for the season).

Even if only certainly owners allow you to pay lux tax, it'd still be interesting to pay VC for the priviledge, so you don't blow tax because it ain't your money.

# 111 turty11 @ 11/06/13 12:39 AM
mycareer #1 pick makes 600vc in a contract....but i have to go pay derrick williams 20k a game...hi ho, hi ho, next-gen i wont go!

# 112 kdenson1283 @ 11/06/13 01:17 AM
This mode seems as if it will be exciting to play. I hope it's free roaming and not like nba life. Like SOny's version where you really couldn't emulate a nba season. Other words it would be a great addition for the Next- Gen.

# 113 BIGE888 @ 11/06/13 04:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by quehouston
I personally don't mind the screens or lack of info. Leaves more room for speculation, and adds a surprise factor when I finally get my hands on it. Maybe thats just a personal thing.
Thats what I'm saying. I remember back in the day when there really wasn't a big hype train. You just got the game, put it in, and it was like Christmas morning seeing all the new stuff. Just as long as they're not holding it back because it will suck then I actually like it. I like surprises. Well, good ones that is.

# 114 L_Diddy @ 11/06/13 05:44 AM
I could seriously cry finding out vc is in this mode haha. My excitement has come down quite a lot. Looks like i will just be playing quick games again all year.

# 115 Gosens6 @ 11/06/13 06:15 AM
Damn, VC has made it's way to this mode? I can't voice my displeasure enough for this.

But, at least we know contract negotiations and things like that are still handled with real money.

Also, from the screens it looks like we can change ticket prices and concession prices at the arena, I guess that's a positive.

But VC in our association? Yuck

Sent from the Dungeon Of Doom using Tapatalk

# 116 javicd21 @ 11/06/13 06:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by turty11
mycareer #1 pick makes 600vc in a contract....but i have to go pay derrick williams 20k a game...hi ho, hi ho, next-gen i wont go!
Am I the only one annoyed with this guy? We get it VC sucks and it isn't equally distributed. Gosshhh

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

# 117 Gosens6 @ 11/06/13 06:41 AM
I know some are annoyed with VC but I'll say this..

It looks like we're only using VC to level up our GM. Contract negotiations with players are still handled with REAL MONEY. I hope everyone understands that. We DO NOT pay our roster with VC

# 118 Melbournelad @ 11/06/13 06:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gosens6
I know some are annoyed with VC but I'll say this..

It looks like we're only using VC to level up our GM. Contract negotiations with players are still handled with REAL MONEY. I hope everyone understands that. We DO NOT pay our roster with VC
Yeah, but our skill as a GM will be based on our "level", not our decisions.

# 119 Gosens6 @ 11/06/13 06:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melbournelad
Yeah, but our skill as a GM will be based on our "level", not our decisions.
Yes I know, it sucks, trust me I hate VC.

What I'm grateful for is the fact that we at least still have real money to work with in the mode for real life financial decisions

Sent from the Dungeon Of Doom using Tapatalk

# 120 franzis @ 11/06/13 07:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by L_Diddy
I could seriously cry finding out vc is in this mode haha. My excitement has come down quite a lot. Looks like i will just be playing quick games again all year.
Let me say "I told you"
http://www.operationsports.com/forum...ee-coming.html

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.