Home
NBA Live 14 News Post

It's the day after a huge amount of hands-on impressions of EA's first basketball game in three years have hit the web. Here's some of the highlights:

From Destructoid:

Quote:
"I didn't have enough hands-on time to sufficiently weigh NBA Live 14, particularly against its fabulous counterpart, NBA 2k 14, but Live feels a heck of a lot better than it ever did. The next console generation has greatly opened up ball physics, firm footwork. The ability to chain moves while dribbling (star players have signature moves) without ever being stuck in an animation isn't a stunning leap, but it feels a lot better than past iterations in the franchise."

TechRadar had much to say on the game's ability to stay updated constantly:

Quote:
""So if there's a guy who's really shooting the ball really well in the real world, you can see him evolve throughout the course of your game," O'Brien explained."

The folks at DigitalTrends seemed to indicate the game was far from great but somewhat solid:

Quote:
"It’s easy to predict disaster for NBA Live 14 if you’re looking at what’s happened in the past as an indicator. The truth is, the game feels like a solid EA Sports production. It definitely needs to grow and evolve, and those looking for deep-dive features like designing your own sneakers and online seasons must turn elsewhere. But there’s a strong foundation here, built on gameplay that is simple and intuitive, even if you’re a basketball neophyte."

IGN seems intrigued by pieces of the game, by never goes on to say the game will actually be good or not:

Quote:
"In a way, it’s as if EA tanked the last couple years for the draft picks, and now they have to spend the next few years assembling it into a contender. At the very least, it’ll be good to have a little competition again."

It seems the general feeling is that most journalists went into the preview event with incredibly low expectations which seemed to be met. No one was willing to say the game was great or even good. The words you saw thrown around were more like solid and workable. Take that for what you will.

What do you think of the NBA Live 14 impressions hitting the net the past day or so?

Game: NBA Live 14Reader Score: 4/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS4 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 17 - View All
NBA Live 14 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 P4N748E42 @ 11/07/13 01:19 PM
"WOW, this blog gives a much more negative overtone then any of the individual previews. In actuality most every preview talked very little about actual gameplay and spent most of the time talking about different features and modes which to me sound pretty amazing though I am also hugely disappointed in no team up play. This site must be run by 2k fanboys, just compare the overtone of this blog to the individual previews and you will notice the bias."

this is what i was talking about....the reviews themselves were positive which is why i found it so odd the the operation sports post seemed to go out of its way to point out that none of the reviews remarked how good or great the game was.....

# 22 Gramps91 @ 11/07/13 01:22 PM
I really hope it does well. Solid competition is needed.0

# 23 chibulls84 @ 11/07/13 01:56 PM
The game is really all that matters...can NBA Live 14 get to the type of look and style of gameplay that 2K does...2K's is very fluid right now. Live is just scratching the surface. It's going to be tough for EA, especially this year.

# 24 juicey79 @ 11/07/13 02:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo22
Live's big problem is that its going up against 2K, which looks phenomenal. Its also going to retail at the full $60 and the final point is that its coming out on next gen so people are going to expect something special.

So far, looks wise, its comparable with current gen. The first few 2K trailers made it look like next gen. Live needs a solid footing to kick on next year. Hopefully it gets that.

One thing that still amazes me is that we've yet to see video of a real game, none of this produced trailer stuff, true game footage is needed for people to get a true reflection of the game. You have to wonder that with only 2 weeks to go that EA havent shown anything yet. Its no wonder people have reservations about it.
This is a perfect analysis not to mention that live missed 3 iterations on CG and focused on one console.

# 25 El_Poopador @ 11/07/13 02:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo22
Live's big problem is that its going up against 2K, which looks phenomenal. Its also going to retail at the full $60 and the final point is that its coming out on next gen so people are going to expect something special.

So far, looks wise, its comparable with current gen. The first few 2K trailers made it look like next gen. Live needs a solid footing to kick on next year. Hopefully it gets that.

One thing that still amazes me is that we've yet to see video of a real game, none of this produced trailer stuff, true game footage is needed for people to get a true reflection of the game. You have to wonder that with only 2 weeks to go that EA havent shown anything yet. Its no wonder people have reservations about it.
honestly you need to actually play the game to get a true reflection of it. this holds true for any game not just live. 2k looks great in motion but there always seems to be that lack of control in areas that you dont get a sense of from a video.

# 26 scottyp180 @ 11/07/13 03:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BQ32
WOW, this blog gives a much more negative overtone then any of the individual previews. In actuality most every preview talked very little about actual gameplay and spent most of the time talking about different features and modes which to me sound pretty amazing though I am also hugely disappointed in no team up play. This site must be run by 2k fanboys, just compare the overtone of this blog to the individual previews and you will notice the bias.

A lot of people might not take the time to read all of the previews so coming across as being negative when none of the previews had anything negative to say does a great disservice to potential fans/customers. Sometimes I swear some of these sites pocket money from 2k lol.
I don't think this blog was intentionally suppose to be negative. The purpose of a hands-on preview is to give impressions on the gameplay. This blog just selected an excerpt from each article that commented on lives gameplay. I don't even think the selections chosen for the blog are even negative, in fact they all seem to think that its a pretty solid game. There's nothon overly negative or overly positive about any of them. No one is/was expecting live 14 to be the greatest basketball game ever so its not surprise that we aren't seeong rave impressions; however hearing that the game is functional, and according to destructoid, "feels a heck of a lot better than it ever did" is about as positive as anyone could have hoped for.

# 27 scottyp180 @ 11/07/13 03:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Poopador
honestly you need to actually play the game to get a true reflection of it. this holds true for any game not just live. 2k looks great in motion but there always seems to be that lack of control in areas that you dont get a sense of from a video.
Agree. I think everyone, including my self, look at gameplay to get an idea of how good a game will play but you truly can't tell until you actually play the game. I think 2k has fallen into this trap before because the game and animations look great when watching but when you play (atleast for some of the past games) the level of control doesn't feel as smooth and fluid as what you see. I want to see 5 on 5 gameplay from live but I'm much more looking forward to trying the game out for myself

# 28 jimbo22 @ 11/07/13 03:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynkraid
Its graphics don't bother me so much, gameplay should always come first. Ever wonder why so many like playing old games? Its cause of the gameplay, not the graphics. Graphics never last over time, but gameplay does. Even great as NBA2k14 next gen is going to look, by NBA2k17 the graphics will look out dated, and if NBA Live is still going head to head by then, it will mostly likely look just as good.

Also people need to remember, the more you hate on NBA Live the more likely we wont see a 2nd NBA game on the market, the best thing for NBA2k is competition, cause it makes every game better.

I'm no fanboy, and I been with NBA2k since NBA2k on the DC, I was never a NBA Live guy at least since the great NBA Live 99 game on PS1, but I so want to see NBA Live be a success. I don't understand how 2k fanboys want Live to fail so badly, go away and never come back, when at the same time they wish and dream NFL 2k would come back.

Back to topic, if NBA Live was below $60 people would look at it as being a cheap game, yet the same time people will complain that its $60, but also if the game were only $20 many would buy it, but also many would wonder why they should buy a $20 or even $40 game that might not be a full blown next gen game. Remember Live has a full demo for the launch day, so it wont take much to make up your mind if its good or not.
When you have a rival out there, that on the face of it looks amazing, then graphics are a huge part of it. We were told that games had reached their limit with current gen and that for them to take the next step then they needed these new systems.

Personally I am/was a Live player. Have done so since the Mega Drive/Genesis days. I want nothing more than Live to come back over teh next few years with a solid, fun game. As it stands, the footage we've seen has done nothing to "wow" people. 2k's trailers have done exactly that. Live needed to get peoples attention from the firs trailer and so far has failed to do so. We should be seeing video after video roll out now showing us what EA has to offer this year.

# 29 Sundown @ 11/07/13 04:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluent2332
I personally think people become brainwashed by other people into thinking Live is going to suck, it's not going to be good, etc. And that in turn influences what they see when they spend time with the game. Just my theory but I've seen it happen time and time again. It's like the hivemind concept.
Not really, if anything it's the opposite. Lowered expectations allow for a bigger splash if a game was really good-- unless the product's just mediocre. Then it's influenced by preconceived notions.

Live is probably just mediocre. Which is fine to build on.

# 30 yaboythecib @ 11/07/13 04:27 PM
wow the in denial are really showing........ the case that nba live 14 would suck is out the window know fans are trying to convince themselves that the game is mediocre. Nobody is asking 2kfans to buy live.... just at less give it a try....from what these comment i'm reading... it sounds like everybody don't want to play live cuz not that they think it goin to be bad... but they're afraid it's goin to be gd.... and that just pathetic......

# 31 Boilerbuzz @ 11/07/13 10:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtkiii
I wasn't planning on getting Live anyway.
No offense, but why are you here then? Just asking...

# 32 Boilerbuzz @ 11/07/13 11:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by yaboythecib
wow the in denial are really showing........ the case that nba live 14 would suck is out the window know fans are trying to convince themselves that the game is mediocre. Nobody is asking 2kfans to buy live.... just at less give it a try....from what these comment i'm reading... it sounds like everybody don't want to play live cuz not that they think it goin to be bad... but they're afraid it's goin to be gd.... and that just pathetic......

I think folks need to just take a deep breath. I think the point of the OP is that as you read each preview, you are waiting for any of them to really start gushing over the game. But that never happens. All you get is the sense that it's no more than promising. Considering previews normally do this, you have to wonder. I don't think there some agenda here. Why is that always assumed when they don't fawn over something?

# 33 yaboythecib @ 11/07/13 11:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BizDevConglomerate
I'm looking forward to Live, but with that said, why can't the game look and feel great? It's just a game. Made by game developers, it's not a NBA team owned and operated by humans, with ticket costs and concessions way over priced. Why can't they say to themselves- this game isn't great, lets lower the price and build trust in our consumers for the future?

Logic is logic, and greed and capitalism us the way of our land live may have devs who care but if tgeir not given the means to go big, then it's an EA Sports issue in which they need to fail and be forgotten.
because development cost.....anyone with 2eyes and a brain can tell 2k dump alot of resources in the graphic's...i really think 2k ignored Core Gameplay. and is goin for a graphical sell because i believe 2k is satisfied with the gameplay so why change anything....EA is goin for a Core Gameplay/Real time NBA Connection Sell.. my point is In a Development Process something always get ignored rather it Graphic's,Gameplay or Playable Mode. it about what the community is asking for. But Asking 4 a full feature length game to be 10,20 bucks cheaper is a inappropriate request cuz a Development Cycle isn't cheap.

# 34 El_Poopador @ 11/08/13 08:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BizDevConglomerate
I'm looking forward to Live, but with that said, why can't the game look and feel great? It's just a game. Made by game developers, it's not a NBA team owned and operated by humans, with ticket costs and concessions way over priced. Why can't they say to themselves- this game isn't great, lets lower the price and build trust in our consumers for the future?

Logic is logic, and greed and capitalism us the way of our land live may have devs who care but if tgeir not given the means to go big, then it's an EA Sports issue in which they need to fail and be forgotten.
because the nba wont allow a reduced price game on disc.

# 35 jaychitown312 @ 11/08/13 09:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpyface
I don't want the game to fail, I would much rather it succeed. I think a lot of gamers are more into presentation, than gameplay. 2k is a wonderful basketball franchise, but they take sim way too far IMO. I don't want to play a simulated game, I want to play basketball sim. The comeback, rubber-band, streak system, or whatever they hell they call it in 2k is annoying to me. I play sports games for competition. If I'm better and have a superior basketball IQ than my opponent then I should prevail. If I'm playing in a match and I want to set a handicap for myself or opponent, that should be up to the players, not pre-coded in the game. I'm looking for the best experience, with the best gameplay first, and then visuals. Hell, if I want to watch basketball and have no influence whatsoever in the outcome of the game I can turn on TNT, or ESPN.

I have been reluctant to say anything about the 2K vs Live. This is what I would have said though. Deny it all you like but this is exactly what happens every game on 2k. I've only been playing 2k since 2k11 on ps3, I have played a couple on ps2. Nba Live has to do nothing more than be controllable because it's next gen and there is no doubt the game will look fine. Now some people are acting narrow minded about graphics. No two games look alike. Look at 2k baseball and mlb the show. They both had there own styles. What gets me the most is the denial about the game play on 2k. If live had a feature saying you can block shots all he11 would break lose. 2k had that as a feature. Nobody has played either game so until then people need to make there comments sound like they never played em. Ok I'm done ranting now people can feel free to go back to your ignorant comments now.

# 36 RIZDRAVER @ 11/08/13 10:46 AM
My primary concern is that the purpose of the cancellations was to provide ample time for Live 14 to close "a portion" of the gap between 2K and EA.

Live will only be a success if they can chip away each proceeding year.

From what we've seen of this year's offering and comparing the gap between 2K10 & Live 10, it appears that the gap may have actually grown. We can make better judgements with the demos; but these journalist impressions are not painting the picture I was hoping for.

# 37 El_Poopador @ 11/08/13 11:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RIZDRAVER
My primary concern is that the purpose of the cancellations was to provide ample time for Live 14 to close "a portion" of the gap between 2K and EA.
not sure where you got that idea. elite 11 was a completely different game than live 10. live 13 was a completely different game than live 10. they stated that live 14 is a completely different game than live 13. each game had a different team and different leaders so they werent doing the same things.

it would have been nice if all that time and money was spent on a single iteration, but they said that live 14 was done in a single dev cycle.

# 38 AlreseH @ 11/08/13 11:57 AM
NBA LIVE ALL DAY CANT WAIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ALREADY PREORDERED!

# 39 Boilerbuzz @ 11/08/13 12:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Poopador
not sure where you got that idea. elite 11 was a completely different game than live 10. live 13 was a completely different game than live 10. they stated that live 14 is a completely different game than live 13. each game had a different team and different leaders so they werent doing the same things.

it would have been nice if all that time and money was spent on a single iteration, but they said that live 14 was done in a single dev cycle.
They said so, man. When they announced the cancelations, they pretty much said that they needed more time to make the games better. What they have said sense was to complement that directive.

# 40 Championships @ 11/08/13 01:47 PM
They've got the tools now to do more with the game than ever, the goal was to get the game out and they've pretty much achieved that goal. The feedback positive or negative can only help them for future basketball games they put out.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.