Home
NBA Live 14 News Post

It's the day after a huge amount of hands-on impressions of EA's first basketball game in three years have hit the web. Here's some of the highlights:

From Destructoid:

Quote:
"I didn't have enough hands-on time to sufficiently weigh NBA Live 14, particularly against its fabulous counterpart, NBA 2k 14, but Live feels a heck of a lot better than it ever did. The next console generation has greatly opened up ball physics, firm footwork. The ability to chain moves while dribbling (star players have signature moves) without ever being stuck in an animation isn't a stunning leap, but it feels a lot better than past iterations in the franchise."

TechRadar had much to say on the game's ability to stay updated constantly:

Quote:
""So if there's a guy who's really shooting the ball really well in the real world, you can see him evolve throughout the course of your game," O'Brien explained."

The folks at DigitalTrends seemed to indicate the game was far from great but somewhat solid:

Quote:
"It’s easy to predict disaster for NBA Live 14 if you’re looking at what’s happened in the past as an indicator. The truth is, the game feels like a solid EA Sports production. It definitely needs to grow and evolve, and those looking for deep-dive features like designing your own sneakers and online seasons must turn elsewhere. But there’s a strong foundation here, built on gameplay that is simple and intuitive, even if you’re a basketball neophyte."

IGN seems intrigued by pieces of the game, by never goes on to say the game will actually be good or not:

Quote:
"In a way, it’s as if EA tanked the last couple years for the draft picks, and now they have to spend the next few years assembling it into a contender. At the very least, it’ll be good to have a little competition again."

It seems the general feeling is that most journalists went into the preview event with incredibly low expectations which seemed to be met. No one was willing to say the game was great or even good. The words you saw thrown around were more like solid and workable. Take that for what you will.

What do you think of the NBA Live 14 impressions hitting the net the past day or so?

Game: NBA Live 14Reader Score: 4/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS4 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 17 - View All
NBA Live 14 Videos
Member Comments
# 41 Sundown @ 11/09/13 06:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by yaboythecib
because development cost.....anyone with 2eyes and a brain can tell 2k dump alot of resources in the graphic's...i really think 2k ignored Core Gameplay. and is goin for a graphical sell because i believe 2k is satisfied with the gameplay so why change anything....EA is goin for a Core Gameplay/Real time NBA Connection Sell.. my point is In a Development Process something always get ignored rather it Graphic's,Gameplay or Playable Mode. it about what the community is asking for. But Asking 4 a full feature length game to be 10,20 bucks cheaper is a inappropriate request cuz a Development Cycle isn't cheap.
How do you even know half of this?

All we know is Live ignored having players actually look human and dribbling outside of static size up animations. If you want to speculate about anything that Live seems to have ignored, it's everything outside of dribbling at the perimeter.

Not to mention that 2K was built upon a much more playable core game than Live's unreleasable messes.

Anyone with "two eyes and a brain cell" can tell that 2K worked extensively on a core gameplay that looks good and plays good. They just didn't have as much work to do as Live did, which anyone with two eyes and a brain cell can tell looks terrible and will probably play mediocre at best but as a best case scenario might be something to build on.

Some of you guys are nuts. Don't assume your baby's a genius just because he's ugly.

# 42 Behindshadows @ 11/09/13 07:45 PM
It's 6 days before release and this game still has zero gameplay footage 5 on 5...I'm officially not getting it period. They don't even have enough confidence in their product to show real footage of it in game.

Still have that fake Kyrie commercial on television now on TNT and NBATV, this is a joke and insult to gamers and NBA Live fans who have been hoping for a solid return.

I am getting a free copy sent to me by next Wednesday on PS4, even though I'm getting Xbox One first, I will just sell it to a friend or Ebay, because even if I had a PS4, I'd still sell this game. Get rid of it, while the price value is still high and trade it in towards a Titan Fall reserve or something.

# 43 The 24th Letter @ 11/09/13 08:33 PM
We actually have seen footage of FIFA, and the demo is all over Gamestop kiosks...just sayin..

# 44 KG @ 11/09/13 08:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by billman29
The same person who bought and defended MLB 2K13, which was one of the most insulting 60 dollar titles in history, isn't getting NBA Live 14. NBA Live 14, which yes hasn't had any 5 on 5 gameplay shown, but atleast is going to have a strong feature set and based on Rich Grisham's account, plays a solid game of basketball.

Hilarious. Guess what? We still haven't seen any direct capture footage of FIFA or Madden either. There's been very little direct capture footage for ANY next gen title. I wouldn't exactly say that's an indictment of anything other than weird marketing decisions by these publishers.
Madden no but FIFA yes. I have seen 2 lengthy videos, including one on OS. The FIFA team has nothing to hide evidenced by letting the posters upload it to youtube and speak freely about the game.

# 45 Behindshadows @ 11/09/13 10:37 PM
Quote:
The same person who bought and defended MLB 2K13, which was one of the most insulting 60 dollar titles in history, isn't getting NBA Live 14. NBA Live 14, which yes hasn't had any 5 on 5 gameplay shown, but atleast is going to have a strong feature set and based on Rich Grisham's account, plays a solid game of basketball.

Hilarious. Guess what? We still haven't seen any direct capture footage of FIFA or Madden either. There's been very little direct capture footage for ANY next gen title. I wouldn't exactly say that's an indictment of anything other than weird marketing decisions by these publishers.
Actually I bought MLB 2k13 and actually liked it as a fan of the series, even though it was just a roster update and fixes....

But let's keep a few things on topic.

To defend part of EA, I've actually played FIFA 14 for 3 hours at the Xbox One Tour in Dallas and it's amazing, gameplay and graphics wise......none of the footage shown online does it justice......

As far as Madden Next Gen they've shown more in-game footage than FIFA and Live 14 online.......Getting to play FIFA 14 it's going to be an amazing launch title.

Live 14 has shown nothing and continues to show absolutely nothing.....screenshots of menus and bull**** like that, doesn't make a person want to purchase it.....Especially when the competition market is flooding the web and television with **** loads of footage.

And you have absolutely no idea how Live is going to play based off continuous dev talks, etc. Overusing the word authentic and showing nothing but on paper interviews and podcast........

Parents always taught me put up or shut up.........so far they haven't put up, so the podcast and interviews need to shut up....

More analogies....The proof is in the pudding......still waiting on that pudding..

# 46 Boilerbuzz @ 11/10/13 12:27 AM
Quote:
1. Who is Rich Grisham and why do we care what he thinks?
2. Better game: MLB 2K13 or NBA Live 13. First clue: the one that was bad enough to be cancelled.

# 47 Boilerbuzz @ 11/10/13 10:11 AM
Quote:
I'm not sure what that has to do with anything, but sure.
You are the one that brought MLB 2k13 into this with a straw man argument. You're right. It has nothing to do with anything.

# 48 Earl1963 @ 11/10/13 01:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boilerbuzz
1. Who is Rich Grisham and why do we care what he thinks?
2. Better game: MLB 2K13 or NBA Live 13. First clue: the one that was bad enough to be cancelled.
MLB 2k was bad enough to cancel as well. EA was the smarter company to admit that they're game was bad.

# 49 Boilerbuzz @ 11/11/13 03:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl1963
MLB 2k was bad enough to cancel as well. EA was the smarter company to admit that they're game was bad.
If you say so, dude. Time to get back to the LIVE discussion since this is a Live forum.

« Previous 123Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.