Home
NBA 2K14 News Post

Damon Bruce is in hot water over a segment which called out women in sports. Bruce's comments have caused quite a bit of controversy locally, with advertisers and listeners complaining about his diatribe. There is much speculation that his show is in trouble in the San Francisco market. As you may know, Bruce has been the voice of NBA 2K's halftime show for some time -- so its very possible this could end up costing him his gig with 2K Sports as well.

We'll be keeping an eye out for any news on this front! Do you think his rant is worthy of him losing his show and other things like his 2K halftime voice gig?

Game: NBA 2K14Reader Score: 6.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS3 / PS4 / Wii U / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 98 - View All
NBA 2K14 Videos
Member Comments
# 61 yungflo @ 11/11/13 04:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundown
I don't think having name guys make things authentic. Having guys sound like real sportscasters (because they are) and bring the right delivery and energy makes things sound authentic. I'd rather have Bruce say something that sounds right rather than Barkley mumble the same something the 50th time.

I love Jalen Rose but he doesn't give the same energy as an announcer/half time breakdown guy. I'm not sure how it would sound. In my head it doesn't sound great. I find ESPN's halftime underwhelming.

Also Kellogg is a real commentator. He's announced for the Pacers. Just because you might not have heard of him doesn't mean he's not a "real announcer". Focus on the delivery, not the name. If you have issues with Clark's delivery, that's a different story. I remember when Kenny Smith did color for 2K. His name didn't make the game sound much better than Kellogg. I remember him being a little underwhelming.

Jim Barnett is considered one of the best color guys in the league. You've probably never heard of him. But if anyone says he's not "real" but Magic Johnson is, I will stab them in the face.

I'd love to have Webber in Kellogg's place though. Big name guy AND a good color guy. And inching our way to a full TNT staff.
you made some great points. Clark kellogg, I have a problem with because of his delivery cause of his tone and his nonchalant commentary. I also find his voice to be very annoying. Someone mentioned Chris Weber as a replacement. That would be nice addition. As for halftime voice guy, I would love if they use the nba.com guy ( I have to find a clip) or ernie johnson rendered and giving highlights ala chris berman.

# 62 Cavani161 @ 11/11/13 05:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaateloauto
What kind of a stupid attitude is that women shouldn't be allowed to play? Sounds as stupid as not allowing players by skin color. If someone has the ability to play at the NBA level, why would you ban teams from signing them? Sexual dimorphism in humans makes it unlikely that top leagues in any sport will have female players but there's absolutely no reason to ban them.

Damon Bruce seems to make the same idiotic arguments. He seems to think that most female announcers are incompetent and no rules should be ever changed to be "less manly" by which he means that rookie hazing should include death threats and extortion of money and if you don't allow that then you've "feminized" sports. For a guy who makes his money by his speaking abilities he does seem to have a way of putting his foot in his mouth. And what makes him such an expert in sports when all he's ever done is broadcasting?
Comparing skin color to gender? No...

What's next, women fighting men in the UFC? I've heard of this nonsense before at a Boxing/MMA gym I trained at, where we had tournaments and the best boxer among the girls wanted to face the best guy in her weight class. Her "I can hang with the men", got her skull absolutely rocked inside the ring (I was forced by the owner of the gym to ring the bell early before the 1st round was even over, as the fight was called off). Sorry, but when it comes to Boxing/MMA/Football, they have no business competing against men.

# 63 Kaanyr Vhok @ 11/11/13 05:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavani161

What's next, women fighting men in the UFC? I've heard of this nonsense before at a Boxing/MMA gym I trained at, where we had tournaments and the best boxer among the girls wanted to face the best guy in her weight class. Her "I can hang with the men", got her skull absolutely rocked inside the ring (I was forced by the owner of the gym to ring the bell early before the 1st round was even over, as the fight was called off). Sorry, but when it comes to Boxing/MMA/Football, they have no business competing against men.
I disagree. If a woman wants to test her luck against a man then let her.

# 64 jaateloauto @ 11/11/13 05:44 PM
Quote:

Another reply from someone who severely missed the point.

# 65 Cavani161 @ 11/11/13 05:56 PM
Quote:
Another reply from someone who severely missed the point.
Not exactly. You need to reread what you posted.

# 66 bc21045 @ 11/11/13 06:02 PM
Quote:
Not exactly. You need to reread what you posted.
He didn't say that there should be women in the NBA, NFL or that women should fight men in mma/boxing. He said there's no reason to ban them and there isn't. Nobody believes that a woman would make it in pro football or that a woman would be able to stand in against a top male fighter and if they're weren't skilled/tough enough they would never make it that far and it would be a complete non issue. The vast majority of men have no business in the ring either but there's nothing stopping them from trying and failing.

# 67 RangersCruz @ 11/11/13 06:59 PM
Quote:
Did you read what I said? At what point did I say worst NBA player isn't better than the best WNBA player? What point did I say men aren't more physical? I specifically mentioned sexual dimorphism but I guess that went over your head.

What? Are you going to ban gay players as well because they "might have a relationship"? How about friendships? Should you ban those too? Ugh. Are you implying players can't be professional about their jobs?

Again, you must have completely missed my post. I don't understand why you're quoting me, nothing I said has anything to do with what you said. The reason why only men play in the NBA is and should be that there are no women good enough, not that they've been banned from the league.
Some of you guys that think women should be allowed to play in the NBA have no idea what you're talking about to be clearly honest

# 68 WetBeaverNeeded @ 11/11/13 08:10 PM
Oh well, the only part of the halftime show i see are the sprint product placements/ads at the start and end. I really hate those.

The only way i'll ever watch the halftime show is if they get bill walton or charles barkley. Get it done 2k. Or better yet have those two as the announcers, that would be incredible. And for the love of all that is holy, replace doris burke with craig sager, the sound of her voice is torture to my eardrums.

# 69 Blzer @ 11/11/13 08:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by G5XL
Lol. Knew somebody would take the bait. It was sarcasm buddy.
Well then... maybe my post was sarcasm too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bc21045
He didn't say that there should be women in the NBA, NFL or that women should fight men in mma/boxing. He said there's no reason to ban them and there isn't. Nobody believes that a woman would make it in pro football or that a woman would be able to stand in against a top male fighter and if they're weren't skilled/tough enough they would never make it that far and it would be a complete non issue. The vast majority of men have no business in the ring either but there's nothing stopping them from trying and failing.
If there's no reason to ban women from men's sports, is it okay to allow men in women's sports as well?

# 70 SMK121 @ 11/11/13 08:32 PM
How many of you actually listened to his little rant? It had nothing to do with him finding WNBA games boring.

# 71 Blzer @ 11/11/13 08:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMK121
How many of you actually listened to his little rant? It had nothing to do with him finding WNBA games boring.
I listened to it. I was only responding to posts though.

His statement wasn't so far off-base, even though his point was. It was inappropriate and misconstruing, but he was really just going for a hook and was classic Damon.

# 72 bc21045 @ 11/11/13 08:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blzer
Well then... maybe my post was sarcasm too.

If there's no reason to ban women from men's sports, is it okay to allow men in women's sports as well?
The nfl, nba, MLB, NHL etc. are not men's only leagues. Obviously you don't let men into women only leagues just like pros can't play in college and there's age limits on little league. What does that have to do with what we're talking about?

# 73 Blzer @ 11/11/13 09:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bc21045
The nfl, nba, MLB, NHL etc. are not men's only leagues. Obviously you don't let men into women only leagues just like pros can't play in college and there's age limits on little league. What does that have to do with what we're talking about?
Just responding to people. I'm only like one of three people in this thread who even listen to Damon Bruce regularly, so I of all people definitely understand everything that's going on in this thread.

# 74 bc21045 @ 11/11/13 09:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blzer
Just responding to people. I'm only like one of three people in this thread who even listen to Damon Bruce regularly, so I of all people definitely understand everything that's going on in this thread.
Fair enough. I listened to the rant but have never heard his show, is needless controversy his thing ?

# 75 jaateloauto @ 11/11/13 09:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangersCruz
Some of you guys that think women should be allowed to play in the NBA have no idea what you're talking about to be clearly honest
Or maybe you just couldn't grasp the idea that there's no need for a ban.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramboooo
Damon Bruce is 100% right as far I'm concerned. Society has become SOFT, and he is sick of this politically correct mantra starting to affect the most sacred of blunt harsh and beautiful reality -- SPORTS. The lockerroom has been and should be a haven for keeping sh** in-house, immune from this hyper sensitivity of you can't "offend" anyone or it's worse than anything ever. Damon Bruce isn't the problem, the problem is political correctness gone wild, and the PROOF of that is the reaction to what he said (the truth) and to the overblown "bullying" NFL thing.
Listened to good five minutes of it before I first posted in this thread. Really don't agree that racism, death threats and extortion of money from/towards your teammates should be part of any sport.

You think 2K14 MyCareer should have veterans making death threats and taking your VC out of your pockets in your rookie year?

# 76 Optik @ 11/11/13 09:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramboooo
The lockerroom has been and should be a haven for keeping sh** in-house, immune from this hyper sensitivity of you can't "offend" anyone or it's worse than anything ever. Damon Bruce isn't the problem, the problem is political correctness gone wild, and the PROOF of that is the reaction to what he said (the truth) and to the overblown "bullying" NFL thing.
What on earth are you talking about? When someone racially insults a team-mate, it ISN'T overblown.

**** that "keep it in the locker-room" BULL****. It's good that this has come out, and now we know that most of the black players on that team are idiots for defending that savage and defining race as something they can just clothe someone with whilst they can take off from another. They really did an exemplary job playing up to the stereotypes of their profession.

# 77 Sinner @ 11/11/13 09:56 PM
I like him doing the half time but if he needs to go so be it, a TNT based half time show with Ernie especially...Kenny, Barkely and Shaq would be nice adds more realism to the game. If they just wanted a voice i'm sure there are many that can give them what they want...but I really like Greg Anthony. I think he speaks very well and knows what he's talking about.

# 78 actuallybrown @ 11/11/13 09:59 PM
First of all...it's really disheartening to hear that in 2013 there are still so many male gamers and sports enthusiasts that think women have little to no place in sports. Sports are literally GAMES that are COMPETITIVE and involve PHYSICAL FITNESS. That's pretty much it. Women, by nature, are qualified by that. Maybe a large majority of women that a given guy knows aren't really 'into' sports as interests, but that doesn't preclude the entire gender from participating in whatever ways they see fit.

As far as the sensitivity that goes into discussions about sports, brought on by women, men that 'have been sensitized by women', or the liberal media...get over your neanderthal self and realize that athletes have lives after sports. Many former athletes suffered greatly after sports because they didn't have proper care of injuries or general maintenance on their bodies during their career, so it's RELEVANT to be cautious and sympathetic when a guy damn near tears his money-making leg in two. I've shattered my ankle and lower leg in the past; it's not fun to be in traction and have to rehab basic motor skills (and I wasn't getting paid for it).

Some women's sports may not be as fun to watch, but honestly I see Olympic Track & Field and FIFA Soccer exactly the same regardless of sex. Sports is not about seeing the gruesome side of life, it's about the spirit of competition and the love of the game. If you're enjoying your sports because they're brutal, then you may possibly have some kind of sociopathic tendencies that need attention.

BTW, for what it's worth, I'm a college-educated 31-year-old male that played sports (track, basketball) in high school, so I have *some* scruples when talking about sports.

# 79 RangersCruz @ 11/11/13 10:24 PM
Quote:
Or maybe you just couldn't grasp the idea that there's no need for a ban.

Listened to good five minutes of it before I first posted in this thread. Really don't agree that racism, death threats and extortion of money from/towards your teammates should be part of any sport.

You think 2K14 MyCareer should have veterans making death threats and taking your VC out of your pockets in your rookie year?

Uh where did i say there needs to be a ban? and i never said anything about the other crap you rambled on about

All i said was the NBA/NFL should stay a men's league

# 80 RangersCruz @ 11/11/13 10:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by actuallybrown
First of all...it's really disheartening to hear that in 2013 there are still so many male gamers and sports enthusiasts that think women have little to no place in sports. Sports are literally GAMES that are COMPETITIVE and involve PHYSICAL FITNESS. That's pretty much it. Women, by nature, are qualified by that. Maybe a large majority of women that a given guy knows aren't really 'into' sports as interests, but that doesn't preclude the entire gender from participating in whatever ways they see fit.

As far as the sensitivity that goes into discussions about sports, brought on by women, men that 'have been sensitized by women', or the liberal media...get over your neanderthal self and realize that athletes have lives after sports. Many former athletes suffered greatly after sports because they didn't have proper care of injuries or general maintenance on their bodies during their career, so it's RELEVANT to be cautious and sympathetic when a guy damn near tears his money-making leg in two. I've shattered my ankle and lower leg in the past; it's not fun to be in traction and have to rehab basic motor skills (and I wasn't getting paid for it).

Some women's sports may not be as fun to watch, but honestly I see Olympic Track & Field and FIFA Soccer exactly the same regardless of sex. Sports is not about seeing the gruesome side of life, it's about the spirit of competition and the love of the game. If you're enjoying your sports because they're brutal, then you may possibly have some kind of sociopathic tendencies that need attention.

BTW, for what it's worth, I'm a college-educated 31-year-old male that played sports (track, basketball) in high school, so I have *some* scruples when talking about sports.
Um HS and pro is completely a different thing

You see MEN FROM OUTSIDE THE U.S AND ROOKIES COME INTO THE NBA AND GET CRUSHED a women could not take one elbow that a Z-Bo or Cousins would throw

BASKETBALL/NBA IS A PHYSICAL SPORT AND THE NBA DOES NOT NEED TO GET ANY DAMN SOFTER

WNBA HAS THEIR OWN THING GOING ON GOOD LUCK TO THEM

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.