Home
NBA 2K14 News Post

Damon Bruce is in hot water over a segment which called out women in sports. Bruce's comments have caused quite a bit of controversy locally, with advertisers and listeners complaining about his diatribe. There is much speculation that his show is in trouble in the San Francisco market. As you may know, Bruce has been the voice of NBA 2K's halftime show for some time -- so its very possible this could end up costing him his gig with 2K Sports as well.

We'll be keeping an eye out for any news on this front! Do you think his rant is worthy of him losing his show and other things like his 2K halftime voice gig?

Game: NBA 2K14Reader Score: 6.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS3 / PS4 / Wii U / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 98 - View All
NBA 2K14 Videos
Member Comments
# 101 MarvinOida @ 11/12/13 01:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xnate128x
2k 14's halftime show on next gen is a huge letdown from what we were shown anyway. I have zero issues with them putting someone else into the game. Just as long as they give us an innovative and dynamic halftime show for once, I'm happy.
How amazing would it be if we got the TNT guys or even better the NBATV guys? And make a combination of NFL 2K5's and NCAA Football 14's presentation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

# 102 Kaanyr Vhok @ 11/12/13 01:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarvinOida
Hey man, that's why they joined, they know what could happen and they are willing to join even though they could get hurt like the next guy. The media would over do it of course, but like a lot of other stories , they will die off .

There's practice squad to the at least learn the feel.

Exactly if Steve Adams big sis Valerie wants to play DT for the Saints

The let her try. If she succeeds more power to her if she gets broke off she is an adult, no need to white knight her or cry for her.

# 103 MarvinOida @ 11/12/13 01:11 AM
Quote:
Agreed. Multiple overlays and different in studio announcers going over the highlights of the first half would be amazing also. The possibilities are pretty immense right now. I say we get some of what we want in about 3 or 4 years at best though.
Oh. If only 2K allowed us to make our own custom scoreboards and graphics packs like how Minecraft is allowed to have texture packs.

It's only one way to solve the generic brand problem, but it would still be cool.

# 104 yungflo @ 11/12/13 01:37 AM
Quote:
Well lets face it, the only decent sport to watch a woman play is volleyball. Lol I don't care how sexist I'm being, it's the truth.
tennis, track, volleyball, softball, lacrosse. List can go on..

# 105 FR33 @ 11/12/13 04:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by yungflo
I dont mind a woman coaching in the NBA but playing in the NBA shouldn't be allowed. Sorry to all the feminists out there but strengthen your own league. I'm sure there are some women that can hang in the NBA but nah still against it.

I never seen a woman outside an agile sport say like tennis or volleyball hang. Women age much faster than men when it comes to physical contsct sports. They peak in college or in the first two years of the nba.

That's why women's college basketball is so much better than the pros.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
As a woman I agree that women should not play in the same league with men, this is precisely why the WNBA was created. There is a pretty big difference in the physicality of men's and women's sports. Nothing wrong with that, just reality. Hell my own father told me that he didn't like women's basketball (even though I played basketball), mostly because they don't dunk like the men.
I disagree with your comment about women aging faster. Injuries affect all athletes. There is one major difference that men never have to deal with, which is having children. This can stall a woman's career or even prompt an early retirement. I think that the reason a lot more men are not as interested in women's sports - particularly basketball - is because woman focus a lot more on fundamentals and men are more flashy, entertainers. I'm not saying that men don't hone their fundamental skills, but if we're being honest most look to entertain and get noticed more so than they look to be fundamentally correct. Just look at all of the traveling and carrying that occurs in men's basketball. I prefer college basketball to pro basketball & pro football to college football. I like all 4 sports, but that's my opinion and what I like. I don't have a problem with someone not liking a sport for their own personal reasons, but that's no excuse for overly disrespectful as Bruce was. Everyone is entitled to his or her opinion, but it can be shared without being an ******* about it. Also, I agree with Taer that 2K should use this opportunity to redo the halftime show.

# 106 FR33 @ 11/12/13 04:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarvinOida
How amazing would it be if we got the TNT guys or even better the NBATV guys? And make a combination of NFL 2K5's and NCAA Football 14's presentation.

Glad I'm not the only one who still remembers that. Question is why the hell did 2K forget??? I've been waiting for them to bring back the presentation from NFL 2K5. 2K was so far ahead it's time on Dreamcast. Would love for them to bring back NFL 2K too. An updated version of the 2K5 presentation would be amazing on next gen.

# 107 FR33 @ 11/12/13 04:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by yungflo
tennis, track, volleyball, softball, lacrosse. List can go on..
Thank you for pointing these out. Some people are just narrow-minded and prefer to live in their own bubble. There are more than just the 3 major pro sports of basketball, football, and baseball.

# 108 shegotgame @ 11/12/13 08:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halloween

I hate this feminsim bull****.
Me too. I hate equality!

# 109 Taer @ 11/12/13 08:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramboooo
How so? Like specifically...
As in: What experience with professional - level sports do you specifically have?

Quote:
...What the hell does a family member know about what goes on the field / court / lockerrooms that would be more credible than actually PLAYING the sport? You make no sense. ...
This is a red herring .. but I'll play along with you anyways just because.

First, let's get something straight: A person that played a particular sport does have a type of credibility that is unique. However it is not the supreme and only source of creditability which is what you are strongly suggesting.

Secondly, a family member sometimes has more direct knowledge then you think. A person that grows up in a sports family can provide valuable and unique insights into aspects of the sport. An example is Johnathon Martin's family can provide very valuable insight into Martin's state of mind as we sit here writing posts in this thread.

A daughter who has had personal dealings with players and the owners could use that first-hand knowledge as a unique tool in analysis of that sport.

Also, more females are involved in the coaching and management side of sports every year. At the college level, you even see females on the sidelines of football games on national t.v. during broadcasts. I believe there are females on the Lakers trainer staffs currently. All of these experiences can lead to insights used for analysis.

Quote:
... Or maybe you misunderstood. It's not a sexist thing, it's a who's been there, done that thing. I'll take Charles Barkley's opinion over Ernie Johnson simply because he has the first hand experience. There's no woman analyst, as smart as she may be, who has first hand experience of PLAYING in any of the major pro sports.
I think it is you is misunderstanding what this is all about: It is not about the credibility of playing the sport or even if a specific male analyst is better than a specific woman analyst. It is about access to the sport at the professional level itself.

A woman reporter forced to stand in the tunnel outside of a locker room after a game misses things said in that locker-room that her male counter parts could use to gain an unfair advantage in reporting. This direct and historical example of denying access is how news organizations justified not hiring and using female reporters in their sports divisions. This is a problem. This is what Damon Bruce is saying we should go back to as a society.

So the whole: who's been there done that thing takes on a whole separate meaning when viewed in the access angle. Damon Bruce in his rant was not just taking a position that women don't have the unique quality of having been a player or coach - he was taking a position that sports is a male exclusive world and one that women should be barred completely from it.

Quote:
... Yes this is true seeing as how I'm not a hermaphrodite who has equal access to bother genders lockerrooms. Pretty sure females are more sensitive. You may want to pretend there are no physical or emotional differences between genders, but reality says otherwise.
Oh boy. I think you should have just never commented on this in the first place. Sensitivity has nothing to do with gender. I know women who are both sensitive and insensitive. I know men who are both sensitive and insensitive. What the "culture" is like in a locker room is important to all of us, regardless of our sex. I'm pretty damn sure that Jonathon Martin's father thinks it is very important and that he is more sensitive of the Miami Dolphin team culture than both you and I.

Also, the whole physical and emotional differences between genders "reality" is controversial and up for debate. This is not the place for that discussion. Let us both agree to disagree here and move on.

Quote:
... Yeaaaah... I'm not talking "culture" like hey I'm in a foreign land what is this strange food I am putting into my mouth. Culture as in sub-culture / sports environment.
Let me put this part in other words... perhaps this will make it clearer to you.

Damon Bruce is advocating for limiting access of the professional sports to men only. This is access at all levels. This in turn limits the possibilities of female reporters, female doctors, female coaches and many more. You may think it is totally o.k. to bar women reporters from the sports divisions of ESPN or Fox Sports. I don't.

As many others in this thread state: women sports are something that they don't follow or are even interested in. Therefore, in the above ESPN or Fox Sport reporting positions if women are denied access then women are denied these positions. You are supporting the discrimination of over 50% of our population when talking about these reporting positions. If this is what you support, so be it. I do not.

Quote:
... The only issue with Damon Bruce is that he is telling it like it is: that sports don't need a feminine influence of sensitivity, that society is becoming soft, that EVERYTHING is being called "bullying" these days. I'm sorry but you think our grandfathers n great granfathers who were busy winning WW1 and WW2 were crying "he called me a bad word!" No they actually had backbones.
Sensitivity is not gender based. Also this above is borderline offensive and insulting to me personally. My sister, an army nurse who has been in the operating room saving wounded soldiers lives from combat wounds has more backbone then many of her male army associates.

This notion that society is "soft" etc is just plain wrong. Is everything being called bullying today correct? No, I don't think it is. Again, let us just agree to disagree here.

# 110 RangersCruz @ 11/12/13 10:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FR33
As a woman I agree that women should not play in the same league with men, this is precisely why the WNBA was created. There is a pretty big difference in the physicality of men's and women's sports. Nothing wrong with that, just reality. Hell my own father told me that he didn't like women's basketball (even though I played basketball), mostly because they don't dunk like the men.
I disagree with your comment about women aging faster. Injuries affect all athletes. There is one major difference that men never have to deal with, which is having children. This can stall a woman's career or even prompt an early retirement. I think that the reason a lot more men are not as interested in women's sports - particularly basketball - is because woman focus a lot more on fundamentals and men are more flashy, entertainers. I'm not saying that men don't hone their fundamental skills, but if we're being honest most look to entertain and get noticed more so than they look to be fundamentally correct. Just look at all of the traveling and carrying that occurs in men's basketball. I prefer college basketball to pro basketball & pro football to college football. I like all 4 sports, but that's my opinion and what I like. I don't have a problem with someone not liking a sport for their own personal reasons, but that's no excuse for overly disrespectful as Bruce was. Everyone is entitled to his or her opinion, but it can be shared without being an ******* about it. Also, I agree with Taer that 2K should use this opportunity to redo the halftime show.
Well said

# 111 BBallcoach @ 11/12/13 06:17 PM
The only thing I know that he said is that "Women sports do not entertain us" and with that I do agree and disagree. That's not to be said that women aren't great athletes, but women's basketball is not entertaining. I like watching women's hockey and soccer they are entertaining, so is softball, volleyball and women's tennis. But women's basketball is not, the ball is smaller, is a much slower game and less physical. The girls that actually do get really physical dominate, think Griner and some of the other great women's players (Cheryl Miller, Nancy Leiberman ect). But overall the product is poor. But I will say it is getting better,

# 112 Bmore Irish @ 11/12/13 08:54 PM
I read quite a few quotes of what this guy said in his rant--there's a Deadspin article that pulls quite a few of the "good" ones--and he just sounded like a total douchebag. I mean, I respect that everyone has a right to their own opinion and to speak freely, but then you better be ready to own what you say, and this dude definitely spewed some garbage.

That being said, I don't listen to him regularly, have no idea what he's like, and I don't necessarily think he should lose his job over this, though it sounds like he was just suspended for a couple days anyway and made to apologize. If that's how he feels, it's how he feels, he just sounded like an *******.

And here's the Deadspin article with audio of his comments as well as a few excerpted within the article: http://deadspin.com/sports-radio-hos...ant-1460807807

# 113 jaateloauto @ 11/12/13 09:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramboooo
Ok you're right... Sensitivity has nothing to do with gender, Women and men are totally identical, Guys can get pregnant, Normal doesn't exist, and oh Santa Claus is real. Ppl so afraid to call something what it is or use their eyeballs... Anyway no need to debate this anymore with you because your premise is totally fantastical to me to pretend that there's zero difference between the genders.
Nobody in this thread has said anything like this yet this stuff is on every page of this thread. Smh.

# 114 SteboSSK @ 11/12/13 10:05 PM
If he's smart he will just get his own show on Youtube or some other media outlet. This model is going to take off in a few years heavy.

# 115 yungflo @ 11/13/13 03:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FR33
What you said is one of the reasons I believe women age faster when it comes strictly to contact sport. I'm not talking about actual age, but "sport age" I believe a woman in her late 20s in the WNBA is equivalent to a man in his mid 30s in the nba. I've watched WNBA and tried to follow it for a few years when it came back. You hear more about these college phenoms when they are actually in college.

I don't think men are interested in the wnba, simply because its boring. There is complacency in the wnba. More so, women are just happy to be there as a league. Sure, you have some great individual players, but the talent pool is limited in terms of elite pro players.(aka women that could "hang" with the guys)I see it when I attempt to watch the games, vs college when the girls are more hungry and more athletic to prove their stock.

also, due to preg --What if a woman got pregnant during the season? In a mixed league? The only time when you see a guy out 9months is due to an ACL or Achilles injury. I don't think investors or players, or deep rooted fans are going to be happy if their star player is out because she got pregnant(especially if it was unplanned and in a irresponsible way)

My suggestion for making the wnba fun is to lower the rim. You said people love the excitement of the game. Women will be able to dunk and catch alleys like nothing. I'm not saying lower dramatically, maybe one feet or a couple of inches from where its at now. Also, allow more physical play, wnba/nba too many ticky tack fouls. Offer better incentives for playoff and title teams. In the nba, each time you advance in a round, you get a bonus dividend among the team. if the wnba has that, make the earnings bigger. it gives your players more incentive to play harder in the po season.

and stop marketing it as a feminist empowering league for women. That's a huge turn off. the nba isn't marketed as a macho man league. We don't say the nba is for tough guys or flash around that its for guys in the way the wnba markets its way for women. if you want your league to be popular, include men in the demographic market. Make the market androgynous.

Also, this may be contradictory to what I said, but I don't like men coaching all women team either. More prominent women coaches need to be in the nba. It looks weird when an old white dude is coaching a young team and hogging all the glory sometimes. I don't like that, its the wnba they should open more opportunity to women. Its not a big problem of mine, its rather minor if the team is having success. I don't know why kobe's dad had an opportunity to coach a sparks team to me, that was weird. Couldn't they found a woman to do it? someone that was capable and able to relate to the locker room? Why kobe's dad? He didn't train kobe to what he is now.

# 116 Guy Georges @ 11/13/13 07:03 AM
i dont read papers written by people called lieberman

# 117 imdahman @ 11/13/13 10:54 AM
Can't let things like this slide. Complacency breeds prejudice. We live in a society and time where we're trying so hard to put our past intolerance and bigotry behind us. It requires us as a people to be vigilant and not let things like his rant slide.

# 118 NYK_AG @ 11/13/13 03:16 PM
I mean, he only said stuff that most people feel. Hell, almost every stand-up comic has funny stuff to say about the WNBA. But......, he isn't in the correct position to speak out against it. At all. Idiot..

# 119 Jimbo614 @ 11/14/13 09:36 PM
Radio Stations instruct their hosts to push the envelope. They get better ratings and thus more revenue by pushing that envelope.
And then, as soon as there's any kind of controversy, The owners of those stations throw their talent, that they encouraged to be outrageous in the first place, under the bus.
Here's the kicker... Most of these hosts are owed money after they're fired. They have contracts.
The also probably have Non Compete clauses which prohibits them from gaining employment for several months.
Let alone that the stations find ways not to honor their end of the contracts, The Program Directors and Sales Staff maintain a delusional notion that somehow THEY are responsible for the Stations Success.
It's no wonder Radio is dying.

# 120 FedExPope @ 11/15/13 02:19 AM
I can't ever remember watching any kind of woman's sports, save a little bit of the women's US soccer team. But really only if I have no choice; I can't stand soccer of either gender anyway. Women being refs in the NBA/NFL is fine, but there's no way that you can mix the two genders for any kind of serious league. Women aren't meant to be as physically prolific as men (either by design or natural evolution, or a mix of both, or whatever you happen to think it is). Maybe a few women here and there could roll with some of the average NBA players, but the men superstars and the women superstars, there's no contest at all. I couldn't think of any reason why anybody couldn't accept this...its just fact. So its natural that we wouldn't be interested by an inferior product - who watches the NIT compared to the NCAA tourney if they don't have a team in the latter? Who would watch a D-League game instead of a regular game? I really have no interest in sitting and listening to what the guy said, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if what he said is simply being marked as a diatribe against women by people addicted to phony outrage.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.