Home
NBA Live 14 News Post

Check out some of the latest NBA Live 14 gameplay footage from Sports Gaming Universe.

Game: NBA Live 14Reader Score: 4/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS4 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 17 - View All
NBA Live 14 Videos
Member Comments
# 61 RandomPerson @ 11/17/13 02:50 AM
Pros

- Ball handling looks fine.
- spacing seems to be okay for the most part

Cons

- Horribly clunky animations. They just don't move like real human beings, if that makes any sense. If you play 2K, the players move around very fluidly and the animations are realistic for the most part. In Live, everything is just so "herky jerky". The terrible animation completely breaks the game.

- To put it simply, the graphics are downright terrible. This would look bad even if it was a current gen game. The fact that it's a next gen only title baffles me. There's nothing next gen about it.

- Everything looks so...slow. What's with the frame rate? Looks like it's running at under 30 FPS or something. Just terrible. 2K runs at 60 FPS, so why can't Live?

- Very little contact in the paint. In fact, I didn't see any contact animations.

- Commentary is awful.

Nothing redeeming about this game. I'm not really a 2K fanboy (I found 2K12 and 13 to be kind of underwhelming and not as good as 2K11), but I just don't see what there is in Live that justifies a purchase, especially when there's another NBA game on the market that is significantly better in every way. I don't mean to sound like an a-hole, but anybody who thinks Live looks anything more than terrible needs their eyes checked.

# 62 SMP7 @ 11/17/13 03:31 AM
A couple things I think.

I have said this multiple times, and will continue to say it over and over again. The second Live didn't include a club or OTP feature where you can create your own guy was when they sealed the game's fate. If they had this feature, they could have covered up multiple ills within this game. Here's some examples.

1. They could have covered up the fact NBA players don't have their actual shooting releases- Even if you play Be a pro, seeing almost everyone shoot the same damn way is an eye sore and a half. If you have club online with everyone using their created guy, everyone picks their own shooting release. Subsequently, that horrid animation becomes a non-factor.

2. You cover up the dead air in the commentary- Look at NHL (and even FIFA to a small extent) on current gen systems. When you are using your created guy in club, you routinely hear dead spots in the commentary. When the players aren't real NBA players and the teams aren't real NBA teams, you actually have an excuse for having subpar commentary.

3. You give the game replay value- Live as is has no replay value. I don't know if you have seen someone play the NBA Finals in dynasty mode, but they don't even have a celebration or anything after you win the title (I saw this in a twitch stream I watched earlier.) Be a Pro is about as stale as anything I have ever seen, too. With club online, you automatically make the game fun for online gamers.

4. You cover up the horrid player models and faces- Pretty self explanatory. When everyone creates their guy, player models won't be too big of an issue. Faces, obviously, won't be one at all.

5. You give Jalen Rose cool stuff to talk about each week- How cool would I be to hear and, in the EASBL this week, [insert team name here] remains finished number one this month. Everyone on this roster is producing when they play, with x SMP 7 x averaging 11 assists running the point. So much more potential for immersion than: and, a shoutout to x SMP 7 x, who is on an 87 game winning streak in head to head seasons. Honestly, as is, I don't know what the custom content from Jalen each week will possibly be.

6. You stop the comparisons with 2k- 2k beats EA in everything except online gameplay. They wouldn't have club, Live would. Live would reign supreme in online gameplay (which is obviously huge.)

Just such a huge oversight on Lives part not to have club, especially when they were supposed to have it in Elite 12 and 13.

# 63 JasonMartin @ 11/17/13 03:41 AM
The way everyone moved/dribbled, it all looks so similar and fast paced.

I'm definitely going to play it but I don't know whether I'll like it. At least it's a beginning.

# 64 willh313 @ 11/17/13 04:18 AM
I'm sorry...just not seeing what you guys like about this....it looks bad real bad...I had hope for ittoo but the animation should at least be as fluid as FIFA or Madden...damn hopefully it does kinda well so they can give it another swing....I dont see how that can even happen at this point...The presentation is well...ESPN...can't screw that up but this game moves almost worst than Live 10 did...and that was a solid game....

# 65 willh313 @ 11/17/13 04:24 AM
Also they CAN NOT charge people $60 for THIS I mean c'mon!?!?!?!?

# 66 willh313 @ 11/17/13 04:27 AM
If NFL 2K5 was $20....this game HAS to be a $15 download....I cant justify $60 for this......

# 67 and1product @ 11/17/13 04:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayAtkHar
Just like I said before live is where FIFA was in 08. Looks like it could be fun once updates and synergy are implemented but expect big improve ya every year. I like the approach they took. The faces look really good but it's very very detail like 2k. The dribbling looks more realistic and easier to control than 2k but the defence looks wack I must say for this and 2k. They both need to come harder in those categories. I'm buying this either way. It's a good start but like said they're going to keep adding layers of improvements physics scenarios and animations every year now.

# 68 H to the Oza @ 11/17/13 05:30 AM
Im sorry. There is nothing about that video that was appealing.

# 69 videobastard @ 11/17/13 08:19 AM
These videos have a 360/ps3 gen vibe to them. I only watched 2 quarters but just did not get a good feeling from watching them. Definitely does not deserve a $60 price tag.

# 70 ZoneBlitz @ 11/17/13 08:26 AM
This is shockingly bad. Virtually no commentary, terrible animations and sub par graphics. I would play a 2k demo all year rather than play this game. They spent 18 months on this??? Wow!

# 71 shutdown10 @ 11/17/13 08:47 AM
And people wonder why HipHopGamer all of a sudden flipped on the NBA Live team when he saw what the game really looked like. This guy was one of NBA Live's biggest supporters, but when he saw their true effort he gave up on them. When I saw his video criticizing their work and praising the other games developers then I knew something was up. There is literally no excuse for a game to look like this on next gen unless it is for free on PSN/XBLA. We must stop making excuses for them, and continue to pound them with harsh criticism until they finally get it.

# 72 shutdown10 @ 11/17/13 08:54 AM
[quote=ekferio;2045675925]I don't understand how people who were involved in the game development of the Live series not getting fired from their jobs already. I mean how many shots can you give them? Must be nice to have a big developer like EA to have enough budgets year after year to cover their mistakes. The players still move like Live 10 with little to no improvement on graphics. When I first saw the Kyrie Irving promo videos, I thought they final came through and made something decent. But damn, I was highly disappointed. Live is done as far as I'm concerned until they replace everyone from the team and start from scratch.[/QUOTE

The NBA Live developers will avoid this forum when they see this post.

# 73 Boilerbuzz @ 11/17/13 09:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xnate128x
I think they spent around 1.5 years on NBA Live 14 -- supposedly anyway. If that's true, then it definitely shows. They need a completely new engine to be honest. It just sucks that it would take forever for them to start from scratch. If they don't cancel the game this year, then it'll definitely be canceled next year if they don't improve the game that much in NBA Live 15.
Dude, they have a new engine. The IGNITE Engine.

# 74 Boilerbuzz @ 11/17/13 09:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shutdown10
And people wonder why HipHopGamer all of a sudden flipped on the NBA Live team when he saw what the game really looked like. This guy was one of NBA Live's biggest supporters, but when he saw their true effort he gave up on them. When I saw his video criticizing their work and praising the other games developers then I knew something was up. There is literally no excuse for a game to look like this on next gen unless it is for free on PSN/XBLA. We must stop making excuses for them, and continue to pound them with harsh criticism until they finally get it.
HHG is a nut job. Nothing he says should be heard. He's supposed to be a professional. Seems to me he is more of a forum troll that got a job to do it on the web. Sorry. Back on topic. Outside of the couple of "live looks good because I hate 2k" or "fire everybody" posts, this thread is the best thread of constructive criticisms I've seen for the Live franchise in a long while.

# 75 JDrew8 @ 11/17/13 10:39 AM
The spacing, ai, and dribbling were really great and so does the presentation at some points. The bad part is that almost every animation disregarding dribbling are terrible. Plus, the commentary is slow and apathetic. It seems like they only asked these commentators to say a couple things like "he makes a basket" or "he passes the ball" because it is so blatantly obvious and annoying unlike 2k where the commentators actually have emotion while telling stories. I also hated the inside game as it feels like there is no physicality with the players. Although it may look bad, I will say that the spacing, ai, and presentation(not the commentary) are superior to 2k but they unquestionably fail to make realistic animations and interaction betwen matchups.

# 76 apollon42 @ 11/17/13 10:41 AM
Is anyone buying this game?

# 77 stillfeelme @ 11/17/13 10:41 AM
The gameplay is pretty much what I expected.

Dribbiling looks good but besides that it doesn't look so good. The game lacks some physics or resemblance of physics in the paint. I saw at least 3-4 times where a guard litterally ran over a PF or center and not once did the dribbler get impacted or moved. The big just falls to their back and the offense gets the blocking call. Just bad but maybe that can get patched, maybe. It just seems like they are missing too many animations. This game should have been on current gen. I saw nothing that resembled next gen. The commentary is also bad with the pauses.

This game doesn't seem $60 worthy at least not my money.

# 78 fluent2332 @ 11/17/13 10:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by apollon42
Is anyone buying this game?
I am. Day one purchase for me.

I'm just happy to be able to play a basketball game that isn't 2K at this point. I'm sure I can have some strategic, sim match-ups with some people online, so I'll be happy.

# 79 Boilerbuzz @ 11/17/13 10:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluent2332
I am. Day one purchase for me.

I'm just happy to be able to play a basketball game that isn't 2K at this point. I'm sure I can have some strategic, sim match-ups with some people online, so I'll be happy.
You mean you haven't bought it already?! Such a huge fanboy like yourself should have had it already. Hell, if I have it, no way you shouldn't.

# 80 Boilerbuzz @ 11/17/13 11:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xnate128x
Idk whether you're being dsarcastic or not, but the ignite engine isn't it's own stand alone engine. It just takes other technologies and combines them.
I'll let you figure out if I'm being sarcastic. Is not an engine a collection of systems and technology? Has EA not been marketed it as a new shared foundation for which they are building their next gen sports games on? If this isn't an engine, then what is? How do you know when it's been redone? And don't say, "you'll just know". How do you even know if a "new engine" would address the issues people have? How do you know that this isn't already using a new engine?

Engine, engine. That word needs to die.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.