Home
FIFA 14 News Post

To be truthful, FIFA 14 for next-gen consoles isn't a sports title that's going to instantly make your jaw hit the floor — certainly not in the way that NBA 2K14 has managed to do — but once you start looking at it and playing it on a nice television setup, you start to realize that it's an incredibly versatile and smooth version of the FIFA brand that has satisfied millions for years now. While the new Ignite engine that's powering EA's next-gen efforts is certainly in its early stages here, this is still a strong “launch” sports title, and there's plenty to be happy about when you start playing it.

Don't misunderstand: this FIFA experience on next-gen reveals itself to be quality, but only once you play it. If you own the game on current-gen platforms already, it's probably a tall order to convince you to plunk down a bunch more money to play this version. But if you find yourself in the market for a PS4 or an Xbox One (especially in Europe, where you could get FIFA for free), FIFA 14 on next generation hardware acquits itself rather well.

Read More - FIFA Soccer 14 Review (XB1/PS4)

Game: FIFA Soccer 14Reader Score: 7/10 - Vote Now
Platform: iOS / PC / PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 16 - View All
FIFA Soccer 14 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 Bgamer90 @ 02/08/14 01:48 PM
My video review of the game. Haven't played a soccer game on a console in a LONG time but I'm really enjoying FIFA 14.

# 22 JODYE @ 02/09/14 10:10 PM
On the surface, FIFA is an enjoyable game, but then you as you get deeper, you start to see all the glaring issues and scripted sequences that really make this game no fun to play.

# 23 jacory12 @ 02/12/14 04:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13
On the surface, FIFA is an enjoyable game, but then you as you get deeper, you start to see all the glaring issues and scripted sequences that really make this game no fun to play.
I'm debating picking this game up. Can you explain what you mean by this?

# 24 JODYE @ 02/13/14 12:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacory12
I'm debating picking this game up. Can you explain what you mean by this?
The game is scripted, like blatantly.

You'll get run outs, and all of a sudden your world class striker will just forget how to dribble a ball or trap it and it will take him 2 or 3 touches to gather himself, and the defender who you had 2 or 3 steps on will warp in front of you and steal it.

Or, you will time a perfect run, and hit someone with a perfect lead pass, and the goalie will race out, and stop you before you even have a chance to take a shot. This even happens when you are playing another human player. Defense will get beat and the goalie will go into warp mode, basically telling you that you weren't supposed to score yet.

Lofted lead passes are over powered, and you will see players speed up abnormally to get to them.

Goalies will all of sudden go into god mode and will stop anything and everything in sight, meanwhile you will see your goalie, not be able to stop a slow rolling dribbler. I dont know how many games I have somehow lost, where I would have 14-15 shots on goal and lose. I'm talking easy opportunities. Or you'll run into scenarios, where you could see 3-4 shots in a row off the various sides of the goal, and then the defense will miraculously clear it.

The AI is abysmal. Players within the box will run away from players with the ball to return to their "zone" and leave guys wide open. They don't react to balls in the air at all, and will not, until you manually control them.

I could keep going, but I'm going to tell you, wait until it is discounted if you really want to play it. Or rent it. Probably your best option.

# 25 craigbezzle @ 02/13/14 10:14 AM
I agree that the AI in this game is very frustrating...I mean after all, it is an EA Sports game

However, I have found two solutions:

1) adjust the sliders to cater towards YOUR needs so you get the best FIFA experience possible

2) after playing a career or 2 against the CPU, simply play online. You still get to play as your favorite players/teams, but I've found Human Opponents much more satisfying because when they consistently get beat, they know it's because you are simply a better player than them. When they whoop your ***, you know it's because they're super skilled and you should work on your game more.

FIFA was very frustrating to me playing against the computer. Now I play some Pro Clubs and Online Seasons with a little FUT mixed in, and it's brilliant.

# 26 linny @ 02/17/14 11:44 AM
This is one of the most frustrating games I have ever played. the scripting has ruined the game for me....I can always tell in the 60th minute if the computer is going to score in the 90th.

# 27 MrPerfect2014 @ 02/17/14 02:36 PM
The PS4 Starting the new season after promotion bug has made this game unplayable. If you re not aware of this, its when you are in Manager Mode, you get promoted and the game resets your previous season to zero. Your stats all say zero games played, zero wins, ect....Not keeping track of previous season stats as a manager is kind of a major issue. If anyone has a work around please for the love of god post it

# 28 BL8001 @ 02/17/14 08:23 PM
I said a lot of this stuff early when the game was released on CG in the CG thread.

A lot of people did not like hearing it.

I find the NG forum to be more level headed about what does and doesn't work in this game, and like what was posted above...in the beginning this game seems amazing but the more you play it the more you see all the unnecessary tricks the CPU ai employ. And it adds up quickly to turn you off to the game.

You can look past it, you can change sliders, you can play modes where it isn't as present but the heart of the game is the ai and it needs serious work.

I mentioned in CG how every player needs to have a halo (invisible) around them and react to the ball based on their proximity to it. A better and more active player would have a larger halo and a poorly skilled slow player would have a smaller one.

It's so infuriating when players stand and watch the ball roll by, this isn't rec league.

And the ai suffers terribly from just being plain cheaty. On amateur you can roll the CPU and all your players are like messi and all your shots are lasers. As you move up the diff level the game makes your players stupid and the ai amazing, but only amazing at having loose balls bounce their way and toe poking the ball away if you get anywhere near them, and after that happens it's like you are stuck in mud while your player fights the momentum model ea have in place and the CPU ignores it.

What this game needs is a system like forza has with drivatars. So someone like krebstar for example would be able to do the tactics but also play with say a team who likes the long ball and play that way and have that be "recorded" ai that could be uploaded and shared. Imagine what a wonderful game this would be about two weeks after release. A dozen of us could model teams after the real way they play and upload and share the team.

So I could take Dortmund and play a few matches very uptempo and pressing and share it and once you load it your Dortmund team plays that way.

If we could share and save around 100 play styles we could have an amazing game on our hands.

I mean maybe just maybe...the CPU would shoot.

# 29 RobMUFC1987 @ 02/21/14 09:17 AM
To the post above. Yesterday I would have agreed with you, but this morning I decided to try out some sliders that people have worked, mainly Orions. The CPU teams shoot more, your GK knows his job and from the 5 games I've played, there hasn't been any god like CPU moments and the goals I conceded were from my own mistakes.

Do what I did, go to the Slider forum, try a few out, pick one you like then adjust accordingly for your needs. It becomes a different game. If you win, you feel you deservered it, even when hitting a last minute winner and if you lose, you'll know the CPU deservered it from out playing you or capitalising on your mistakes

# 30 JODYE @ 02/21/14 09:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobMUFC1987
To the post above. Yesterday I would have agreed with you, but this morning I decided to try out some sliders that people have worked, mainly Orions. The CPU teams shoot more, your GK knows his job and from the 5 games I've played, there hasn't been any god like CPU moments and the goals I conceded were from my own mistakes.

Do what I did, go to the Slider forum, try a few out, pick one you like then adjust accordingly for your needs. It becomes a different game. If you win, you feel you deservered it, even when hitting a last minute winner and if you lose, you'll know the CPU deservered it from out playing you or capitalising on your mistakes
Which unfortunately does nothing for us that like to play online.

# 31 BL8001 @ 02/22/14 03:30 PM
Yeah I wrote you can adjust sliders. But what you are doing when you do that is ameliorating the cheaty ai.

One of the problems with the high CPU pass and possession rate is based on how the game does station to station passing for the CPU 90% of the time. And what the CPU can do almost no matter the skill of the player is perfectly weight the pass.

And like 13 said, sliders only work for certain parts of the game.

There are no sliders I am aware of that can fix the fact that once possession changes in the box, the offense retreats. It's even more egregious when an aerial 50/50 ball occurs and you watch your players run away on pre-determined paths.

I was so hoping World Cup was going to be next gen because it would have given a great insight into where we are headed in regards to fifa 15.

If they can blow up this existing CG logic and free the game up with something as simple as giving the ball more freedom, where it isn't either your ball or their ball more often, that would be a start.
Better refs or give us a ref slider and fix advantage.
Variable offsides as an option.
Let us move the thrower and change who takes throw ins
Let us choose where to place the ball for corners and goal kicks
Get rid of the really long free kick view. It stinks. Just keep it in game cam view.
Fine tune the momentum and have it affect the CPU the same as the user
Fix clashing ref kits
Some more varied pitch surfaces, more wear at lower leagues, drier baked out surfaces
Fix ball roll out for rain games and any mode keeper parries
Tone down LB+Y

« Previous 12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.