Home
MLB 2K13 News Post

In a move that was neither unexpected nor surprising, 2K Sports today confirmed in a statement to Polygon it is not renewing the MLB license and thus, the MLB 2K series was (for the first time) confirmed as dead.

"We have decided not to renew our MLB 2K series for 2014," 2K Sports said in the statement.

If you recall, last year everyone presumed the franchise was dead but 2K stayed quiet about it's future until MLB 2K13 was surprisingly announced just before release. That will not be the case this year, as 2K Sports' statement leaves no wiggle room for a return of the franchise this year.

There is some hope that another company will take up the baseball banner on Microsoft consoles, but who that will end up being does remain a mystery. EA thus far, denies any interest in pursuing the baseball license even though they would seem to be the most suitable candidate to give baseball a try.

With no MLB 2K, both the XBox 360 and XBox One will be without an MLB simulation experience in 2014.

Game: Major League Baseball 2K13Reader Score: 7/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 14 - View All
Major League Baseball 2K13 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 boomhauertjs @ 01/06/14 06:11 PM
MS needs to step up with an XBL version of High Heat.

# 2 beast780 @ 01/06/14 06:32 PM
In before people assume EA would get license and do good on first try...

# 3 Money99 @ 01/06/14 06:51 PM

# 4 Williekemp15 @ 01/06/14 06:54 PM
I will miss the pitching

# 5 snaz16 @ 01/06/14 07:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by XxJustAguessxX
I pray and hope that the show does not become like madden.
As long as SCEA doesn't drop the 1st 2 letters

# 6 snaz16 @ 01/06/14 07:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanLR101
Guess 2k needs money for the NFL license
They better get their issues with NBA 2k14 straightened out or we won't have to worry about any 2k sports titles...not a good week for 2k or sports gamers.

# 7 Iceman87GT @ 01/06/14 07:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Williekemp15
I will miss the pitching
Loved the analog stick pitching, that and the commentary were the only things that I preferred about 2K, and made playing baseball on the 360 bearable before I finally got a PS3.

Really hope if/when EA picks up the 3rd Party license they look into that reviving that particular analog-based pitching mechanic, or better yet The Show looks into incorporating it as an option.

# 8 rkocjay @ 01/06/14 08:21 PM
i have played mlb the show since 07 n this actually worries me i just hope they wont get lazy

# 9 YeOldTonk @ 01/06/14 08:23 PM
This is one of the big reasons I picked up a PS4 instead of the X1.

# 10 Coolade @ 01/06/14 08:36 PM
Can't say im sad to see the series go from 2k. They had a good foundation, they just didn't have the team capable of catching up with MLB the show. No way they would have had a quality product in time for march to match expectations of next gen baseball.

# 11 lnin0 @ 01/06/14 09:27 PM
Just stopped in to shed my tear. You will be missed MLB2K.

# 12 jmount78 @ 01/06/14 10:03 PM
I will miss the announcing team of MLB 2K, stats, and pitch/hit analyzers. Even though there were many flaws, there was a lot more right with the game. I hope 2K sells this to some company that can make it what it deserves to be.

# 13 mike24forever @ 01/06/14 11:11 PM
I will never understand the direction this game took. They had the one version that looked absolutely beautiful and the framers yes suffered. They put in the "Meat Ball", which was horrible. However, they nailed the analog pitching. I love the "fun factor" of the game. I just always fueled they were being pulled into many directions during development.

Sad to see them go.

I would love to see a rebirth of:

1.) High Heat
2.) All-Star baseball
3.) my favourite franchise MVP.

I know it won't happen, but I would love for them to make any of these titles.

# 14 RandyBass @ 01/07/14 03:07 AM
What a sad and barren wasteland sports gaming has become. Only a paltry selection left to choose from. Not good.

# 15 Blzer @ 01/07/14 08:40 AM
This is the most depressing news I've heard in a long time.

I know its reputation dropped off the table tremendously here, but I liked the game. I didn't like the hitting system, camera options, or cheesy effects here or there, but I personally thought the game was awesome and the other option was a great thing, especially for Xbox owners.

Not only that, but think back at the developer diaries. There was some serious heart and soul poured into this game by some people, minus some misguided direction overall by the higher-ups. I'm just going to miss it in general. I loved looking forward to news on these games, and I do think that next-gen could have helped with a turnaround.

Oh well. If there is any chance though that this means they can allocate resources to another NFL, NHL, or CH game someday again, that would be the only good news that comes out of this. Otherwise, as "expected" as this may have appeared to most, I just don't like it.

R.I.P.

# 16 Money99 @ 01/07/14 09:46 AM
With no football, hockey, boxing and now baseball game, can they officially change their name to 2KSport?

# 17 HustlinOwl @ 01/07/14 09:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Money99
With no football, hockey, boxing and now baseball game, can they officially change their name to 2KSport?
NBA2K more appropriate

# 18 nemesis04 @ 01/07/14 10:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Money99
Well there is still wrestling if that is classified as a sport.

# 19 shogunofharlem3 @ 01/07/14 11:25 AM
Saw the news about the cancellation last night. Sad indeed. I really enjoyed 2k12, alot. The community was amazing in improving and updating the game. It did play a great game of baseball.

Just got to thinking of my game collections........NHL 2k, 2k2, 2k3, 2k4, 2k5, 2k6, 2k7, 2k8, 2k9, 2k10, 2k11........World Series 2k through 2k12 (no 2k8), NFL 2k, through 2k5 and All Pro 2k8.

Now, I have nothing to choose from. My 3 major sports I play from the company I liked the gameplay most from has no options. Ugh. Now what?

# 20 JazzMan @ 01/07/14 12:22 PM
This is disappointing. The MLB2k games were actually pretty solid. Sure, they weren't the Show, but for what it was, it was a darn good baseball game. Yeah, there was almost no improvement from 12 to 13, but the team had little to no time to work on 13. I would have liked to see maybe a year off for them, then bring it back on Next-Gen, almost like Live.

I guess this opens the door for 2k to bring back an old franchise, like NFL, NHL, or CH, or even begin to push WWE2k further for Next-Gen, but even as a Playstation guy, this sucks.

Hopefully EA restores MVP Baseball. Loved those games growing up.

« Previous12345Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.