Home
MLB 2K13 News Post

In a move that was neither unexpected nor surprising, 2K Sports today confirmed in a statement to Polygon it is not renewing the MLB license and thus, the MLB 2K series was (for the first time) confirmed as dead.

"We have decided not to renew our MLB 2K series for 2014," 2K Sports said in the statement.

If you recall, last year everyone presumed the franchise was dead but 2K stayed quiet about it's future until MLB 2K13 was surprisingly announced just before release. That will not be the case this year, as 2K Sports' statement leaves no wiggle room for a return of the franchise this year.

There is some hope that another company will take up the baseball banner on Microsoft consoles, but who that will end up being does remain a mystery. EA thus far, denies any interest in pursuing the baseball license even though they would seem to be the most suitable candidate to give baseball a try.

With no MLB 2K, both the XBox 360 and XBox One will be without an MLB simulation experience in 2014.

Game: Major League Baseball 2K13Reader Score: 7/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 14 - View All
Major League Baseball 2K13 Videos
Member Comments
# 61 strawberryshortcake @ 01/14/14 05:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kehlis
So you are making up an argument that hasn't been made and then using it to support your argument?

That's laughable. It's not a hassle to monitor two or three game companies, it's really simple, that you and I agree with.

If that's your ammo your point is moot. Has nothing to do with any point you've brought up thus far.
I don't quite find it humorous, and not exactly making up an argument... this quote below is something that's posted recently (I can probably dig through other threads to find someone bringing up "NFL" "dealing with one company" is better, etc. etc., and just different ways of phrasing it).

Yes, I know the current majority argument is having an exclusive deal is a better business move for the NFL. I'm simply putting my thoughts into words on a message board and trying to look at this "NFL exclusive" from a different perspective, and maybe an alternative could be profitably valid (however small or microscopic that percentage may or may not be). I don't see anything wrong. All of you guys may be completely right and I completely wrong, but I don't see anything wrong with me putting my two cents into the mix.

We'll just have to see how this things plays out in the long run.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money99
That's how it started.
But right now, the NFL loves it's exclusive deal with EA. They're dealing with one of the top developers in the world, who's brand is highly visible.
I also believe the NFL is making more money with this exclusive deal than they would with opening it up to more companies.
On top of that, the NFL is very controlling with what it wants in it's games. So only having to deal with 1 company as opposed to 2 or 3 makes for less hassles.

I don't have all the answers and I'm not saying I'm 100% right about all of this, but I've read enough and been told by a few insiders (on both EA and 2K's side) that this exclusive deal is and was not EA's idea. It all came from the NFL.
EA didn't approach the NFL to squeeze out the competition. But when the NFL offered this, EA jumped at the chance, which any company would. 2K would have done the same.

As long as Madden keeps selling millions of copies this will never change. The NFL is making a boat-load of money off of this deal. So until this partnership becomes a financial burden on EA (like MLB was with 2K), don't expect anything to change anytime soon.

# 62 kehlis @ 01/14/14 05:40 PM
Sure, dealing with one company is easier than dealing with three. Didn't think that was a question?

Doesn't mean dealing with more than one company is a hassle.

# 63 mike24forever @ 01/14/14 06:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJones
Close. What really happened was half of Kush quit to form their own company during 2K8's Alpha. Blue Castle (where I was working at the time) was brought in to help the remnants of Kush get 2K8 out the door. 2K's deal with MLB included extremely harsh penalties for not shipping on time. If 2K8 didn't ship, the entirety of 2K Sports would've been scrapped, and it's fairly likely that Take Two itself would've been acquired by EA. Fun times!

The more you know, huh?

EDIT: Why'd that guy just get banned?
This is one of the more interesting things I've read on OS in a while. Thanks for sharing. Nothing beats a little first hand information from someone who was on the inside.

# 64 DrJones @ 01/14/14 06:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike24forever
This is one of the more interesting things I've read on OS in a while. Thanks for sharing. Nothing beats a little first hand information from someone who was on the inside.
No problem. Needless to say, I never would've shared that information if I thought anyone could be negatively affected by it. Since 2K's deal with MLB is over and all involved have long moved on, it seemed "safe" to do so.

# 65 Money99 @ 01/14/14 08:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJones
I'd use "suicidal" instead of "friendly". The deal 2K signed with MLB was insane, and a huge money loser. You guys don't know how close that deal came to resulting in the end of all 2K Sports titles (yes, including NBA).
Yup.
When I as in Vancouver at the EAC office, an EA rep told me that when MLB was shopping their semi-exclusive deal around, EA looked at the numbers and determined it didn't make sense; there was no way to make money from it.

But I think 2K felt they had to jump on this deal after losing the NFL license.

# 66 pietasterp @ 01/14/14 09:19 PM
Fascinating stuff, fellas. Appreciate the cool inside stories from Doc and others. With 10 years in our most-discussed companies, you have to know where some of the bodies are buried...

I really liked the MLB2K series, but of course it was far from perfect and had its well documented issues. I think the pitching mechanic was the best sports game innovation of the last generation, and the game could be a lot of fun despite the flaws. I really like the first MLB game Sega Sports ever made for Dreamcast, though...that one was a personal fave. Breaking the homer record with Bobby Higginson was such good times...

# 67 dsk @ 01/15/14 06:03 PM
Konami should bring Pro Spirits to the states. I'd be happy if they simply translated the game into english. Add MLB teams and make it for both system and they would most likely double their sales revenue. Pro Spirits 2013 sold 200,00 copies last year in japan (PS3.)

# 68 matthewk @ 01/15/14 10:26 PM
This is sad news. We've gone from having 5 choices down to 1/3 (Show not on Xbone or WiiU) in 10 years.

In football the are literally no other options other than Madden now. Last year we at least had NCAA. Over the past few years there was always some football alternatives (NCAA, All Pro 2k8, Backbreaker, Blitz).

Wrestling games have suffered the same fate. Multiple choices down to just one.

Sports gaming is not much fun lately. Well it can be fun, but only when playing games from days gone by.

# 69 pistolpete @ 01/15/14 10:55 PM
I was kind of holding out hope for 2k14, but I didn't have much.

I had fun with this series, and I still play 2k12, but I would have liked a new effort.

# 70 23 @ 01/16/14 12:00 AM
I must say this is one of the saddest threads I've ever read in relation to gaming.

Mismanagement and exclusives have practically killed off sports games

# 71 jeremym480 @ 01/16/14 03:14 PM
Sad indeed.

MLB 2K always got a bad rap, but I always really enjoyed both baseball games. I'm trying to make a comparison post, but both games had their pros and cons. I always said if you could mix the two and make a new baseball video game baby we'd have as close to the perfect game as you can get.

The RBI news softens this a little for me. I'm just hoping that one of the games picks up 2k's pitching mechanics, as well as some of the franchise mode features.

# 72 Money99 @ 01/16/14 03:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremym480
Sad indeed.

MLB 2K always got a bad rap, but I always really enjoyed both baseball games. I'm trying to make a comparison post, but both games had their pros and cons. I always said if you could mix the two and make a new baseball video game baby we'd have as close to the perfect game as you can get.

The RBI news softens this a little for me. I'm just hoping that one of the games picks up 2k's pitching mechanics, as well as some of the franchise mode features.
Well said. There are things one did better than the other.
I've said it a thousand times, but despite 2K's flaws, I always had more fun with it compared to it's competition.

# 73 NINJAK2 @ 01/16/14 06:14 PM
Sad news. They should just change their name to 2ksport and drop the s..only NBA remains.

# 74 pietasterp @ 01/16/14 10:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 23
I must say this is one of the saddest threads I've ever read in relation to gaming.

Mismanagement and exclusives have practically killed off sports games
Yeah...the passion for sports gaming for me is almost totally gone. On the plus side, I've rediscovered other game genres I've neglected for many years.

Still love this board, though. It's really odd that I read/post more about sports gaming than I actually engage in it these days....

# 75 Truking3 @ 01/20/14 11:36 PM
RBI baseball is making a comeback folks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

# 76 pietasterp @ 01/21/14 12:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truking3
RBI baseball is making a comeback folks
If it's not the rounded, bubble character models with the ability to move the ball after you pitch it, with 1986 rosters included, I'm pretty much not interestd....

# 77 AntiBandwagoner @ 01/22/14 04:07 PM
I think MLB 2k was always considered a joke of a series but really wasn't that awful. With the power of OS roster, 2k12 was a pretty decent game. Still play it from time to time.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

# 78 pistolpete @ 01/26/14 07:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntiBandwagoner
I think MLB 2k was always considered a joke of a series but really wasn't that awful. With the power of OS roster, 2k12 was a pretty decent game. Still play it from time to time.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
I've been plugging away at 2k12 for a little while now, and still really enjoy. I have it on 360 on which I play my franchise, and on my pc on which I play my player.

I've found a great way to play franchise (only meaningful September+ games). I can only do a couple innings a day, so it's a good way to not get bored with May and June baseball.

# 79 mkharsh33 @ 01/27/14 12:25 PM
For those of us who do not own any other system except a 360, 2K Baseball was all we have. It's easy to point a finger and say, "Well, just go drop another half grand of $$$ and buy a new system so you can play The Show." Not so easily done...

2K Baseball has it's flaws, but with some work (like any other video game) it was a fun game to play, even had some solid simulation to it. I will miss it...

# 80 shogunofharlem3 @ 01/27/14 01:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkharsh33
For those of us who do not own any other system except a 360, 2K Baseball was all we have. It's easy to point a finger and say, "Well, just go drop another half grand of $$$ and buy a new system so you can play The Show." Not so easily done...

2K Baseball has it's flaws, but with some work (like any other video game) it was a fun game to play, even had some solid simulation to it. I will miss it...
Agreed. it was our only option but if you gave it a chance, it was a pretty damn good option. I enjoy that game more than any other. Challenging pitching system, good hitting, post attribute edit fielding got much better.

Really enjoy 2k12. I find that as a whole, gamers are becoming more and more needy and NOTHING will ever be good enough. So I'm trying to turn a corner and find the good.

No one complained in RBI Baseball that the throws didn't reach first. Now, every pixel seems to end up on Youtube getting ripped.

I enjoyed it, will continue to and that is all I care.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.