Home
MLB 14 The Show News Post

From Gamestop's website, you can get a $20 Universal Currency bonus for pre-ordering MLB 14 The Show right now. The big news is that the currency will be spendable in every mode within the game, even within your 'Franchise Budget.'

What that implementation means is anyone's guess. The mention of a currency system does bring up bad memories of the 'always online' and Virtual Currency problems which have plagued NBA 2K14. It would of course, be to the products detriment if you have to 'buy' common features like adjusting your lineup with Universal Currency. There is no concrete confirmation exactly what will be required, but we will be waiting to hear on any additional details on how extensive the Universal Currency system's implementation will be within the game.

H/T: PastaPadre

Game: MLB 14 The ShowReader Score: 8.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS Vita / PS3 / PS4Votes for game: 12 - View All
MLB 14 The Show Videos
Member Comments
# 1 Blzer @ 01/08/14 11:54 PM

# 2 Bobhead @ 01/08/14 11:55 PM
I'll be awaiting clarification on how "currency" will tie into franchise budget. That's not really making any sense in my head.

# 3 birthday_massacre @ 01/09/14 12:10 AM
If the currency is only for boosts, then that is fine but it better not be used like VC of there is going to be a huge backlash against this game.

# 4 seanjeezy @ 01/09/14 12:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobhead
I'll be awaiting clarification on how "currency" will tie into franchise budget. That's not really making any sense in my head.
Sounds like they could possibly be bringing back the owner mode stuff like ticket/parking/concession prices and stadium upgrades (which is what I believe the franchise budget microtransactions applied to in previous years).

Outside of the "2X and 4X boosts", all of the "in-game" items can currently be purchased in the ps store as optional microtransactions... Hopefully it stays that way.

# 5 Bobhead @ 01/09/14 12:19 AM
I'm still confused... I mean I get why they'd allow you to buy a larger budget... and I couldn't care less about that.

But why would they let you earn a larger budget? I don't even want to earn one. That's silly.

So if I'm understanding correctly, just by playing random things and accumulating currency, I will be able to turn the Tampa Bay Rays into the New York Yankees?

I don't get how that will work at all.

# 6 SoxFan01605 @ 01/09/14 12:19 AM
Quote:
It seems like most of the stuff being tied to this currency was available as DLC boosts last year. I believe there was one to boost franchise funds by a certain amount as well, so it could just be that.

# 7 Knight165 @ 01/09/14 12:36 AM

# 8 pay26 @ 01/09/14 12:59 AM
when we will have pictures or videos of this game, No Mlb the Show in Ces 2014?

# 9 Curahee @ 01/09/14 02:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WickedFastball
HAHA LOL, Trust ME...don't even go there! Panties get wadded up tighter than a drum around here, over those kinds of questions.
The problem is not the question, the problem is when the question is answered, there are people that need some deeper meaning to the answer and feel there is some underlining conspiracy for SCEA to steal our money and never show us what we're buying.

It gets tired!

# 10 juicer420 @ 01/09/14 02:34 AM
Quote:
I'm still confused... I mean I get why they'd allow you to buy a larger budget... and I couldn't care less about that.

But why would they let you earn a larger budget? I don't even want to earn one. That's silly.

So if I'm understanding correctly, just by playing random things and accumulating currency, I will be able to turn the Tampa Bay Rays into the New York Yankees?

I don't get how that will work at all.
If you're utilizing all features of a franchise you are essentially playing as the "owner". If one cares enough to control tickets prices and merchandise sells, limit your player salaries, staff salaries, etc...you're basically playing a business game and operating in a budget. But the goal of all of that is to increase profits, thus increasing the budget.

There's certainly a fan base out there that wants to act as a "new ownership group" and turn the lower income ballclubs into high profiting, high spending teams. Thus the shortcut for an increase in budget.

Or in all likelihood, not everyone wants to run a sim franchise and just wants to use there favorite small market team and load up on superstars.

The beauty of the show is they offer something for everyone.

# 11 CujoMatty @ 01/09/14 03:22 AM
No game stop anywhere near me.
also im sick of the mom and pop shops who are actually helpful and care about my money getting screwed.

# 12 birthday_massacre @ 01/09/14 04:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by juicer420
If you're utilizing all features of a franchise you are essentially playing as the "owner". If one cares enough to control tickets prices and merchandise sells, limit your player salaries, staff salaries, etc...you're basically playing a business game and operating in a budget. But the goal of all of that is to increase profits, thus increasing the budget.

There's certainly a fan base out there that wants to act as a "new ownership group" and turn the lower income ballclubs into high profiting, high spending teams. Thus the shortcut for an increase in budget.

Or in all likelihood, not everyone wants to run a sim franchise and just wants to use there favorite small market team and load up on superstars.

The beauty of the show is they offer something for everyone.
As long as you don't need that currency to change line ups, trade players, or anything stupid like that, then it should be ok.

If its more just like, well your budge is 85m but you can buy a 120m budget, then that is fine.

But it better not be like how the GM Mode in NBA2k is.

# 13 HozAndMoose @ 01/09/14 05:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cujomatty
No game stop anywhere near me.
also im sick of the mom and pop shops who are actually helpful and care about my money getting screwed.
Only way to change that is to make pre orders from any store get the bonus.

# 14 pirates1fan @ 01/09/14 07:33 AM
I'm not concerned. I think they are just add-ons. I would welcome clarification too, but I don't think SCEA would do that. I can't imagine they would try to pull a stunt like that after seeing what has happened to NBA 2K.

# 15 Geolink @ 01/09/14 08:20 AM
My reaction to "universal currency": Oh god... /facepalm

# 16 Curahee @ 01/09/14 08:27 AM
Now Im confused!

What is the big freak out here? Why is Universal Currency so bad?
Its one set of money you can use in any mode rather than buying RTTS points, then DD Dollars, then Franchise Budget. This is all in one.

# 17 dalger21 @ 01/09/14 08:34 AM
I'm not sure I clearly understand this as you could always buy "currency" in the past games that transformed into things such as RttS points, Franchise money for their budget and so forth. This is a different meaning perhaps?

# 18 nemesis04 @ 01/09/14 08:39 AM
How about we get all the facts first before pulling the fire alarm. We can't assume it automatically means the same as what 2k is doing. Also, pastapadre is a pot stirrer!

# 19 Teigh Cubs Teigh @ 01/09/14 08:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalger21
I'm not sure I clearly understand this as you could always buy "currency" in the past games that transformed into things such as RttS points, Franchise money for their budget and so forth. This is a different meaning perhaps?
The way it looks to me is that you buy "Universal Currency" and then can use it in-game for any of those uses as well as the new 2x and 4x bonuses in RTTS. It's just a new unified way of doing it, to my eye.

Instead of purchasing a budget increase from the PlayStation Store you purchase Universal Currency and then go into the game and purchase the budget increase using the UC.

I could be wrong, but that's how it looks / sounds to me so far with the limited information that we have.

(Also note that I have never used any of the purchaseable bonuses before except for my 12,000 bonus RTTS points for pre-ordering last year so I may be wrong about how the system works right now as well. This could simply be a re-branding of the same old system.)

# 20 Flaxseed Oil @ 01/09/14 09:11 AM
The VC on NBA 2K14 has KILLED the game for me. I started a GM career and then realized I had to purchase rights that every GM should have, and so I stopped playing and threw on Madden.

MLB the Show has always had optional micro-transactions, and I think that's what this will be for.

Let's hope the one thing they did pick up from the corpse of 2K baseball was the pitching system. That would be dope.

« Previous1234567Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.