Home
Madden NFL 25 News Post

Andrew Wilson told investors in EA's Q3 2014 earnings conference call that, "EA Sports and the NFL have a partnership for a number of more years," adding, "we have a number of games in development with the NFL."

Peter Moore also talked about the NFL license and said all the "rumors" are false, the license hasn't expired.

The big question is what the terms of the licensing deal are at this point, whether it is an exclusive deal or not, and how many years the current deal runs for. There's no indication the exclusive terms have ended, and given the NFL's typical approach to sign exclusive deals with partners -- there really is no reason to think that the terms have changed too much.

EA COO Peter Moore, on Twitter, declined to comment on specifics of the license deal. The last time the license came around EA didn't release details, but rather it was sourced by 'well placed sources.' Thus, while it stinks we don't know exact specifics of the deal, this does play into how EA has handled things with the NFL license in the past couple of years.

Most likely a renewal or extension was signed that features platform specific exclusivity, although that is just speculation on my part with no fact-based information to back that up other than the history of the license and EA/NFL's relationship.

We'll be keeping an eye on things and will continue to update this post as any new info emerges.

Game: Madden NFL 25Reader Score: 5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 54 - View All
Madden NFL 25 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 SmashMan @ 01/28/14 05:36 PM
The key phrase to listen for is "exclusive partnership", obviously.

# 2 JaymeeAwesome @ 01/28/14 05:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmashMan
The key phrase to listen for is "exclusive partnership", obviously.

The NFL only deals in exclusives. It would go against their business model.

# 3 Blitzburgh @ 01/28/14 05:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaymeeAwesome
Models change...

# 4 kjcheezhead @ 01/28/14 06:01 PM
A number of games? I hope he means another Head Coach or NFL Street. Madden 15-20 doesn't count Mr. Wilson.

# 5 unfriendlyghst @ 01/28/14 06:04 PM
air slowly let out of balloon noise*

# 6 JaymeeAwesome @ 01/28/14 06:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzburgh
Models change...

You can really see the NFL changing a business model that is working?

# 7 malky @ 01/28/14 06:44 PM
Well I guess it's NFL 2K5 till the grave for me!!!!!......

# 8 roadman @ 01/28/14 06:57 PM
The license hasn't expired is a key comment. To me, that means the license that was signed a few years ago is ongoing, not till the SB.

Eh............

# 9 badazzleroybrown @ 01/28/14 07:14 PM
if they had exclusive lic. they would have bragged about it by now.
i know i would.
they just talking like nothing has changed and it has.for one they could not afford an exclusive again
two they just got there butt kicked in court. i am sure the game we thought we was getting will be displayed to the nfl along with something that 2k is working on.

# 10 Kalkano @ 01/28/14 07:20 PM
For however long EA has the exclusive license, I expect to be playing Madden '12...

# 11 roadman @ 01/28/14 07:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by badazzleroybrown
if they had exclusive lic. they would have bragged about it by now.
i know i would.
they just talking like nothing has changed and it has.for one they could not afford an exclusive again
two they just got there butt kicked in court. i am sure the game we thought we was getting will be displayed to the nfl along with something that 2k is working on.
Is Peter Moore lying?

Peter Moore also talked about the NFL license and said all the "rumors" are false, the license hasn't expired.

If that's true, and exclusivity is still in place, nobody will be making a game.

Plus, a report from Kotaku that Andrew Wilson uses the term, "exclusively."

http://kotaku.com/ea-sports-and-the-...ium=Socialflow

EA Sports and the NFL "still have a number of years left on our agreements" to exclusively develop and publish video games, EA CEO Andrew Wilson told investors. "We have a number of games in development with the NFL" license, he added. Reports had suggested EA's license to make NFL games would expire this year.

# 12 davefmurray @ 01/28/14 07:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FaceMask
This is generally true, but the NFL has a number of exceptions to that, this is why there have been a handful of non-EA produced mobile NFL football games, and one well-known browser based NFL game (Quickhit).
EA's deal is platform specific.

# 13 RaychelSnr @ 01/28/14 07:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by davefmurray
EA's deal is platform specific.
Last time this came up, EA never officially commented on it either. I don't expect much, especially with an official decline to comment from EA, on specifics this time around either.

Long story short: EA probably has the deal locked down until the end of time (or until they decide they don't want it).

# 14 regroc88 @ 01/28/14 07:56 PM
well if 2ksports made another NFL 2k Football Sim I would pay $100.00 for to get them Back in the Game. what every it takes. We must fight for Freedom of Choice!!!

# 15 davefmurray @ 01/28/14 08:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMChrisS
Last time this came up, EA never officially commented on it either. I don't expect much, especially with an official decline to comment from EA, on specifics this time around either.

Long story short: EA probably has the deal locked down until the end of time (or until they decide they don't want it).
This is not secret information.

https://www.nfl.biz

# 16 SmashMan @ 01/28/14 08:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaymeeAwesome
I know, but I don't think EA has ever been shy about using the word 'exclusive' in the past.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
Plus, a report from Kotaku that Andrew Wilson uses the term, "exclusively."

http://kotaku.com/ea-sports-and-the-...ium=Socialflow
The word 'exclusively' isn't part of the quote, rather a Kotaku continuation. Granted, the way he (Wilson) is referring to the license it appears that their license would be continuing under the same terms that they have been.

# 17 24 @ 01/28/14 08:14 PM
Spoiler

# 18 tril @ 01/28/14 08:15 PM
just make an APF2k with a legacy dynasty mode for next gen, and make it customizable.

# 19 roadman @ 01/28/14 08:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by davefmurray
This is not secret information.

https://www.nfl.biz
Tried to copy and paste that but I was directed to some weird site with a bright yellow background.

Said this is not the site you want?

Same with just clicking the link??

# 20 DJ @ 01/28/14 08:49 PM
No real surprise here. EA isn't going to stop making Madden, exclusive deal or non-exclusive. I think the odds are slim at 2K or another developer attempting to make a sim football game.

I am enjoying M25, and feel like the current Madden team has the game moving in a positive direction.

« Previous1234Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.