Home
Madden NFL 25 News Post

Andrew Wilson told investors in EA's Q3 2014 earnings conference call that, "EA Sports and the NFL have a partnership for a number of more years," adding, "we have a number of games in development with the NFL."

Peter Moore also talked about the NFL license and said all the "rumors" are false, the license hasn't expired.

The big question is what the terms of the licensing deal are at this point, whether it is an exclusive deal or not, and how many years the current deal runs for. There's no indication the exclusive terms have ended, and given the NFL's typical approach to sign exclusive deals with partners -- there really is no reason to think that the terms have changed too much.

EA COO Peter Moore, on Twitter, declined to comment on specifics of the license deal. The last time the license came around EA didn't release details, but rather it was sourced by 'well placed sources.' Thus, while it stinks we don't know exact specifics of the deal, this does play into how EA has handled things with the NFL license in the past couple of years.

Most likely a renewal or extension was signed that features platform specific exclusivity, although that is just speculation on my part with no fact-based information to back that up other than the history of the license and EA/NFL's relationship.

We'll be keeping an eye on things and will continue to update this post as any new info emerges.

Game: Madden NFL 25Reader Score: 5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 54 - View All
Madden NFL 25 Videos
Member Comments
# 61 roadman @ 01/30/14 07:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 23
What games are you talking about though?

The FPS genre has done this despite it being a million of them out there, there are at least 3.

Its the fact that alot of these games just flat out sucked. If Sony made a basketball game like their baseball game you had better believe there would've been people buying it. If NBA Street came back out people would buy it because if its a good game they would support it.

What I think is the season for lackluster sports titles surviving at this point. If you don't plan to come up to where the bar is be prepared to receive subpar reception.

Its like they were saying we arent investing in the inner city because there isnt anything going on. Magic decided well its because you arent putting in any money that nothing is going on, then he went in and went on a tear, movie theaters, starbucks, fridays, etc... and guess what, all of a sudden here is all of this revenue out of nowhere.

Put something into it and you get that out of it. People like quality, but don't throw multiple years of junk at people and expect them to eat it like its a T-Bone.
I'm speaking directly about the sports video gaming area only. Those are the only games I play. Our son plays FPS games Halo, Battlefield, etc.... but that's as close as I get.

I look around and over the last several years 2k hockey, college hoops and baseball are no longer on the market for reasons already discussed and gone over. The MS golf game is no longer on the market. We know what happened to the baseball and football market. I played those games above and enjoyed them and now they are gone. Did the competition beat those games? Yes to baseball and hockey, so, I guess I was in the minority for those games.

I agree, the quality of the games need to step up and that starts with the gaming companies.

As I stated above, what companies will step up and make good quality sports video games to compete in the marketplace? Will companies be scared of the competition already out there?

# 62 23 @ 01/30/14 08:24 PM
I don't know what their reasons are but nobody can play a game that's not made.

I think Sony is capable but they decided not to spend any more money.

Microsoft had one of the best sim bball games ever along with leading the online sports genre and they just got rid of it all.

At this point it's more about moving forward the genre not doing crap from 2008. People will buy it eventuality

Galaxy Note 2

# 63 DBMcGee3 @ 01/31/14 09:01 AM
Well, that sucks.

# 64 Midi @ 01/31/14 09:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealHST
I liked the firt paragraph but not the second. Until I can put the ball where I want (actual total control passing) in Madden, then no I can't agree
Its not that people do not know or are not aware of the economics of this thing, the hate towards EA is because they purchased the exclusive license and then have not made a sensational game hence.

# 65 Demoncrom @ 01/31/14 09:47 AM
Awesome So I guess I will just continue to avoid buying this game. If people had more sense and stopped buying this trash then the NFL would have to rethink the position. As it stands now we will never see a fun and properly coded NFL game anytime soon. Thanks EA you made a great Boxing game but your Football sucks

# 66 RedskinsGM2B @ 01/31/14 08:17 PM
What I've often been puzzled about is, WHY the NFL would "prefer" exclusivity?? I understand that they want to have input on how the NFL is portrayed in games. That's fine. However, if there were 2 OTHER developers willing to design within those confines & could present a comparable quality product as that of EA's (actually better than).... Why wouldn't the NFL desire or even "prefer" to have their brand & industry being developed & marketed by more than ONE developer/publisher??? I mean, certainly they can't stand to lose in that scenario?? Can they? Wouldn't everyone still purchase the game of their choice?? Furthermore, like myself, wouldn't there be buyers of the same 'ol game...buying the new games too?? At one time, I owned 3 different NFL products on my console each year. Doesn't that make even more money for the NFL?? If buyers are willing to own both products?

# 67 JaymeeAwesome @ 01/31/14 09:08 PM
I found a good read about exclusive and non exclusive. It's about inventions but explains why EA is in favor of exclusive.

http://www.idea2invention.com/licensing-agreements.html

# 68 yankeesgiants @ 01/31/14 09:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedskinsGM2B
What I've often been puzzled about is, WHY the NFL would "prefer" exclusivity?? I understand that they want to have input on how the NFL is portrayed in games. That's fine. However, if there were 2 OTHER developers willing to design within those confines & could present a comparable quality product as that of EA's (actually better than).... Why wouldn't the NFL desire or even "prefer" to have their brand & industry being developed & marketed by more than ONE developer/publisher??? I mean, certainly they can't stand to lose in that scenario?? Can they? Wouldn't everyone still purchase the game of their choice?? Furthermore, like myself, wouldn't there be buyers of the same 'ol game...buying the new games too?? At one time, I owned 3 different NFL products on my console each year. Doesn't that make even more money for the NFL?? If buyers are willing to own both products?

2 reasons:

1. economics: less is more
2. Easier QA of all licensed products for all parties involved. A total cluster bleep in the 90's. Far easier today to manage.

# 69 roadman @ 01/31/14 11:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedskinsGM2B
That's what the logical thinking would be, but, when the original deal was signed, a former EA employee who worked on MVP Baseball and is a poster here, stated that the NFL made more with one exclusive license vs 3 or 4 licenses combined.

# 70 TjJunior @ 02/01/14 07:19 AM
The majority of us around the US are gonna buy regardless. If its EA 2K or whoever. America loves football. How else could you explain the Pro Bowl getting higher ratings than the entire NHL outdoor series? (Judging by a per contest basis.) We know which is better, but the NFL gets the fans no matter how its represented.

# 71 myownsun @ 02/02/14 09:23 AM
I won't be playing madden or watching the nfl because of this exclusivity deal.

# 72 JaymeeAwesome @ 02/02/14 09:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by myownsun
I won't be playing madden or watching the nfl because of this exclusivity deal.

Yes you will.

# 73 jmarcguy @ 02/02/14 04:46 PM
I won't buy a Madden until I feel there's significant changes. I know it's improving & maybe next year I'll get it. If not then I'll survive. I haven't had a new football game in 10 yrs now. I'll manage.

# 74 avwhitechic @ 02/05/14 02:50 AM
Huge from PastaPadre poster.....

dhall
6 days ago

Now, back in the day, I was the one that broke to news of Madden being RTP. Because of a good inside source that I have, I have more information regarding the future of EA, Madden and the NFL. Are you ready? EA will continue to make Madden up until 2019, without restrictions as a new dew deal has been placed. They will be required to sell the game at the $49 price point only. As a matter of fact, MIcrosoft AND Sony will also be required to sell their new NFL products at the new price point of $49. That's right! The exclusivity of the NFL license will be officially over on February 3rd! Just wait and see...This is what I was told from my source who works for EA. Madden '15 will also not be out until 2015 to include the new Pro Bowl Draft and set-up. An exclusive NFL simulation game for Microsoft XBOX One and a seperate NFL simulation for PS4 are both scheduled for 2016 season. No word on 2K.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

# 75 bigeastbumrush @ 02/05/14 09:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by avwhitechic
Huge from PastaPadre poster.....

dhall
6 days ago

Now, back in the day, I was the one that broke to news of Madden being RTP. Because of a good inside source that I have, I have more information regarding the future of EA, Madden and the NFL. Are you ready? EA will continue to make Madden up until 2019, without restrictions as a new dew deal has been placed. They will be required to sell the game at the $49 price point only. As a matter of fact, MIcrosoft AND Sony will also be required to sell their new NFL products at the new price point of $49. That's right! The exclusivity of the NFL license will be officially over on February 3rd! Just wait and see...This is what I was told from my source who works for EA. Madden '15 will also not be out until 2015 to include the new Pro Bowl Draft and set-up. An exclusive NFL simulation game for Microsoft XBOX One and a seperate NFL simulation for PS4 are both scheduled for 2016 season. No word on 2K.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Madden 15 not coming out until 2015?

Yeah right.

# 76 roadman @ 02/05/14 11:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigeastbumrush
Madden 15 not coming out until 2015?

Yeah right.
He started a thread on the subject in the NG forum and it's already closed.

# 77 mestevo @ 02/06/14 12:23 AM
Guess he didn't get the traction here he wanted so tried the other forum.

Sent from my VZW Note 3

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.