Home
NBA Live 14 News Post

Brian Mazique of Bleacher Report recently interviewed NBA Live 14 Executive Producer, Sean O'Brien. During the interview, Sean confirmed title update #2 will be released on Tuesday, February 11th. He also revealed a few little nuggets of information on NBA Live 15.

JYoung has transcribed some of the juicy details below.

Quote:
-- The title update will appear on Tuesday, Feburary 11. The three major areas of improvements in the patch are lighting, Shootaround mode, and control/animation responsiveness. Minor changes include bug fixes and the All-Star Weekend court/uniforms.

-- "Player likeness" will not be improved until NBA Live 15 (facial technology, AI behavior, signature animations). This required a "huge overhaul." The team has pushed "as far as they can possibly push" the player likenesses for NBA Live 14.

-- The team is "still not completely happy with all the pass animations," but they will be noticeably improved in the patch. Players' inability to continue their forward momentum while catching fastbreak passes was fixed.

-- Fixing the animations and their lack of responsiveness to user button commands is an "absolute priority."

-- Shootaround mode is "based off the E3 NBA Live 14 demo." The mode was a "big undertaking" and will be expanded on even further in NBA Live 15.

-- The game that the current team inherited (NBA Live 13) "was not a great game." The team simply didn't have enough time to "turn around the Titanic."

-- The halftime show in NBA Live 14 was a "big investment," but the team feels it was worth the effort.

-- The team believed that the "overhead incurred" from creating a more robust created player feature simply wasn't worth the payoff.

-- Utilizing Kinect and the PlayStation 4 camera to improve the game's immersiveness is "absolutely where we need to go."

Game: NBA Live 14Reader Score: 4/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS4 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 17 - View All
NBA Live 14 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 Ermolli @ 02/08/14 07:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shutdown10
They were not honest about what engine they were using. Clearly they used things from past Lives like animations, sounds, and commentary. They mainly used from Elite 11 and Live 13. I got a chance to play the full copy of Elite 11 and I have no doubt that animations, sound(rim), and commentary(Breen, Van Gundy) were taken from that game. If they cannot maximize that engine for Live 15 to reach it's full potential then they need to find another engine.
If so then what is supposed to be the Ignite Engine? I'd like to know from the devs. Ignite was shown and said to be the new engine for EA Sport games but then in the interview it's said that they continued from Live 13, something isn't right.

# 22 badazzleroybrown @ 02/09/14 03:09 PM
i just bought this game. people keep forgetting Rome was not built in a day. it gonna take time to get the game where consumers feel that it can compare to the 2k series. but any true nba fan will buy both just because you can never get enough basketball experience.

# 23 scottyp180 @ 02/09/14 04:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ermolli
If so then what is supposed to be the Ignite Engine? I'd like to know from the devs. Ignite was shown and said to be the new engine for EA Sport games but then in the interview it's said that they continued from Live 13, something isn't right.
Its hard to really know for sure what developers mean when the say things like "brand new engine" or "built from the ground up". 2k said that 2k14 for next gen was a new engine and completely different game from current gen. And while the games are definitely two different titles the next gen game is still very familar and the "new engine" feels similar to the old one just modified and optimized a bit. Same thing for all of EAs next gen titles. They all used the "brand new ignite engine" and while the games are improvements over the current gen versions I wouldn't say that the engine feels brand new, more like an update to the old engine.

And there lies the question. If the "new engine" is an updated and modified version of the "old engine" does that make it brand new? Or should the engine be advertised as something like "old engine 2.0" (similar to unreal engine or cryteck engines)

# 24 Pared @ 02/11/14 09:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SageInfinite
I thought we were told this game was built from the ground up?
Can I get a big fat "I told you so?"

# 25 JODYE @ 02/14/14 09:47 AM
Lol it should have taken someone about 5 mins of playing any of the EA Sports release titles to realize that nothing about any engine was "New". Same **** in a new shiny package.

# 26 JBulls @ 02/14/14 11:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pared
Can I get a big fat "I told you so?"
Can I get a reference to that claim? I also feel like they've said that but I can never find any evidence of it

# 27 Pared @ 02/14/14 07:11 PM

# 28 JBulls @ 02/14/14 07:41 PM
Quote:
Lol what a liar.

# 29 loosey101 @ 02/14/14 08:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBulls
Lol what a liar.

Only lied about constant roster updated by the hour. Honestly, from this article I took it as basically staying, this year was a rebuilding year, laying foundation for what is to come. If everything acceptable that they did, no, but what is stated in the article isn't to far from the truth.

# 30 Walt Frazier @ 02/14/14 09:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by loosey101
Only lied about constant roster updated by the hour. Honestly, from this article I took it as basically staying, this year was a rebuilding year, laying foundation for what is to come. If everything acceptable that they did, no, but what is stated in the article isn't to far from the truth.

Seriously you jest? The interview states the entire game was "built from the ground up for next gen". That's their exact quote.

Now that it's a mess they are saying "we inherited a titanic like mess from LIVE 13 and that's why the game is so poor".

Those two things don't go together. They clearly lied pre release about it being "built from the ground up for next gen".

# 31 shutdown10 @ 02/14/14 10:17 PM
We have got to a point where EA and the Nba Live team must deliver or get out the game for good. Too many lies, poor management, and wasted resources on this busted project. Where is the talent in group that can bring this game back to redemption? Are there any other developers from other EA studios that can help them?

# 32 loosey101 @ 02/14/14 11:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt Frazier
Seriously you jest? The interview states the entire game was "built from the ground up for next gen". That's their exact quote.

Now that it's a mess they are saying "we inherited a titanic like mess from LIVE 13 and that's why the game is so poor".

Those two things don't go together. They clearly lied pre release about it being "built from the ground up for next gen".

Okay so that part and the part about the daily updates but other than that, pretty much everything they said was true. That doesn't mean I'm excusing them for not fixing any bugs, just saying that this year was laying foundation for the next.

# 33 Pared @ 02/15/14 09:07 AM
Quote:
We have got to a point where EA and the Nba Live team must deliver or get out the game for good. Too many lies, poor management, and wasted resources on this busted project. Where is the talent in group that can bring this game back to redemption? Are there any other developers from other EA studios that can help them?
They have talent. Look at how well the dribbling blends in response to a user's controller input. Look how smooth a jumpshot looks when the user initiates the move via input.

The game certainly has strengths. It's simply the direction they take the game that is always questioned and these exorbitant claims.

# 34 The 24th Letter @ 02/15/14 11:44 AM
Quote:
They have talent. Look at how well the dribbling blends in response to a user's controller input. Look how smooth a jumpshot looks when the user initiates the move via input.

The game certainly has strengths. It's simply the direction they take the game that is always questioned and these exorbitant claims.

I agree with most of this besides user input on dribbling....it's soooo much better now post patch than it was before....but could still use some work....

# 35 shutdown10 @ 02/15/14 02:33 PM
Quote:

I just can't agree with you here. They don't have talent to me until proven other wise. I've played this game for the past 3 months and nothing in this game shows or displays talent from this group. Live 10 did not have any dribble issues for them to come out with this bounce-tek nonsense. I also felt you had better control of your player In Live 10 besides getting locked into certain animations when you made contact with other players. I'm tired of them telling people what technology their game has or what synergy does in the game. The game does not pass the eye or feel test to me.

# 36 calzonesays @ 02/15/14 06:02 PM
I really hope NBA Live steps up their game and puts some heat on 2K to release QUALITY games. 2K seems to get complacent with no real competition in town.

# 37 El_Poopador @ 02/18/14 07:39 AM
Quote:
I just can't agree with you here. They don't have talent to me until proven other wise. I've played this game for the past 3 months and nothing in this game shows or displays talent from this group. Live 10 did not have any dribble issues for them to come out with this bounce-tek nonsense. I also felt you had better control of your player In Live 10 besides getting locked into certain animations when you made contact with other players. I'm tired of them telling people what technology their game has or what synergy does in the game. The game does not pass the eye or feel test to me.
really? the amount of warping sliding and clipping in live 10 is reason enough to warrant the change to bouncetek. its not perfect by any means and there is still some ball warping but it is a vast improvement over past live games. footplanting is another area where live 14 has greatly improved over past iterations.

# 38 The 24th Letter @ 02/18/14 08:03 AM
I would agree with that post patch.

Bouncetek pre patch was rough, mostly because of the lack of responsiveness....even EA acknowledged that. Then you had thing's like the infinite behind the back dribble...

Now that those things have been tuned, Bouncetek feels a lot better...

# 39 King_B_Mack @ 02/18/14 11:25 AM
There's footplanting in this game? If there's footplanting in Live it's implemented just like in Madden where the ball handler has it while everybody else doesn't. There's still plenty of warping and sliding going on in this game. This isn't a vast improvement over the dribbling in 10. I'd concede it's a better, but not by much at all.

# 40 El_Poopador @ 02/18/14 11:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by King_B_Mack
There's footplanting in this game? If there's footplanting in Live it's implemented just like in Madden where the ball handler has it while everybody else doesn't. There's still plenty of warping and sliding going on in this game. This isn't a vast improvement over the dribbling in 10. I'd concede it's a better, but not by much at all.
footplanting in live 14 is way better than live 10. yes there is still some sliding but it is nowhere close to what it used to be. and personally i find the dribbling much better than live 10 both in the way it looks and how it controls.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.