Home
News Post

Are baseball players or lawyers coming up with MLB rules?

The league announced yesterday they will implement a ban on egregious home-plate collisions in what lines up to be a one-year experiment for the 2014 season -- including language that allows for use of the new video-review system on the plays as well. Simple enough, right? Better get your red ink pen and find some blank space in your rule book.

The new rule, 7.13, declares: Quote:
"...a runner attempting to score may not deviate from his direct pathway to the plate in order to initiate contact with the catcher (or other player covering home plate)."

So essentially, catchers are still allowed to block the plate if they have the ball or are in the act of fielding a ball that carries them into the path of the runner -- but, runners also have limits:

Quote:
"...the failure by the runner to make an effort to touch the plate, the runner's lowering of the shoulder, or the runner's pushing through with his hands, elbows or arms, would support a determination that the runner deviated from the pathway in order to initiate contact with the catcher in violation."

Oh, and get this. The plays will be subject to review under the MLB's new replay system.

Sound Off: Do you agree with the MLB's new ruling that limits home-plate collisions?

Sports Headlines for February 25, 2014

Game: MLBReader Score: 8.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: SportsVotes for game: 2 - View All
Member Comments
# 1 Cryolemon @ 02/25/14 05:10 PM
I'll wait and see how this is interpreted by umpires before deciding if it's a good thing or not. On the face of it it should stop intentional collisions.

# 2 ggsimmonds @ 02/25/14 09:49 PM
Only by reading it I am left scratching my head. A catcher may still block the plate, but if the runner "lowering of the shoulder, or the runner's pushing through with his hands, elbows or arms" he breaks the rule? So am I too understand that a runner is expected to run flat into a braced catcher??

# 3 Nexgenrulz @ 02/26/14 05:39 AM
I too read this rule and I am confused as well. Clear as mud. How about they just leave it the way it is? Sounds like MLB is going in the same direction as the NFL. I've already stopped watching the NFL because of their "new rules" and the direction they're going, and now it looks like baseball isn't far behind.

# 4 Blzer @ 02/26/14 02:57 PM
I hate the rule. Less so because of the actual writing, but the reason it's put in. I ranted about it on Facebook... thinking of bringing that talk over here. It's Blzer-esque so I know it'll be a tl;dr note anyway.

# 5 Will I Am @ 02/26/14 04:10 PM
I love the new rule. Anything that will reduce concussions and serious injuries is a plus.

# 6 Perfect Zero @ 03/02/14 09:12 PM
While this is a rare play and while I was not on-board with it in the beginning, I actually think that this rule will be a plus for the game in the future. Nobody wants to see their star catcher or even baserunner get injured because of a play at the plate. That's especially true with catchers because they are so prone to breaking down over their career. The runner now has to go for the plate, not the catcher. The catcher also has to make room until he has control of the ball. It seems simple to me; I guess we'll see...

# 7 Blzer @ 03/02/14 10:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect Zero
While this is a rare play and while I was not on-board with it in the beginning, I actually think that this rule will be a plus for the game in the future. Nobody wants to see their star catcher or even baserunner get injured because of a play at the plate. That's especially true with catchers because they are so prone to breaking down over their career. The runner now has to go for the plate, not the catcher. The catcher also has to make room until he has control of the ball. It seems simple to me; I guess we'll see...
I'm willing to bet baserunners get injured more at home plate sliding than running into catchers.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.