Home
MLB 14 The Show News Post

Franchise Mode has been an MLB The Show staple for quite some time now, and this year, we’re excited to introduce its long-awaited online version. We took the team-building aspects of Franchise, such as scouting and offseason contract negotiations, and merged them with the customizable schedules and divisional alignments of Online Leagues. We also continued to refine the game logic that governs trade values, lineups, player generation, and more. Let’s go over some of the main features in more detail.

FRANCHISE HOME

When you create an Online Franchise, you automatically become the league’s Commissioner. You’ll get to choose the divisional alignment, schedule type, Designated Hitter preference and whether or not to upload a custom roster, among other things. Once you’re happy with your settings, you’ll need to invite other players to the league, and also determine what teams will be controlled by the CPU (if any at all).

CREATE FRANCHISE

Building a successful team in Online Franchise is as much about what happens on the field, as about what happens off the field. One of the most important things you can do to remain competitive is to draft amateur players effectively, in order to keep replenishing your major league roster with top-tier talent. To do this, you’ll need to scout players throughout the regular season so that you don’t go into your live online draft unprepared. Without proper scouting reports, you’ll have a much tougher time trying to distinguish between future superstars and draft-day busts.

AMATEUR DRAFT

The vast majority of your drafted players will need some seasoning in the minors before they’re ready for The Show, so we’ve given you access to full minor league rosters. You’ll be able to move players up and down from Class-A all the way to the Majors, set training assignments, and also pull-off trades with other teams. Our trade logic has been greatly improved as well, so forget about lopsided trades involving three top prospects for an average major league middle reliever.

MANAGE ROSTER

This brings us to the offseason, which we divided into two parts. In Part 1, you will handle all of your contract renewable players, arbitration cases and draft pick signings. Our player contract logic has received a much needed overhaul, as we made MLB service time more of a factor when determining player interest and ideal salary. One example where this is really noticeable is when trying to offer contract extensions to your young players. In the past, you were able to sign young superstar players to extremely cheap long-term contracts, which is unrealistic in today’s MLB. Now, you’ll still be able to lock these players up early in their careers, but you’ll have to pay something much closer to their market value. This type of contract is becoming much more common in real-life lately, with teams like the Rays and Braves leading the way, and it was important for us to incorporate this new dynamic into the game.

CONTRACT RENEWALS

Free agent signings happen in Part 2 of the offseason, which is divided into an adjustable number of rounds, or advancement periods. Every team gets a chance to make their best offer, and then the commissioner advances to the next round.

FA ROUNDS

Players will either sign with a team, or they will remain on the market for the next round. The bidding wars that occur in this part of the offseason can become pretty intense, coupled with the fact that you’re competing against other human opponents makes the bidding all the more entertaining.

FREE AGENT CONTRACTS

Rounding out the whole package is our expanded record keeping, as we now store draft classes, retired players, and additional career stats and awards on the Player Card. In addition, League Events and Notifications will keep you up to date on what’s happening around the league, and what tasks you need to perform to manage your team properly.

RETIREMENT

We’re all extremely happy with the way Online Franchise turned out, and we hope you enjoy playing it just as much as we enjoyed putting it together. See you online!

Bleacher Report has posted an interview with MLB 14 The Show developers, Luis Martinez and Lance Leahy, providing even more information.

Game: MLB 14 The ShowReader Score: 8.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS Vita / PS3 / PS4Votes for game: 12 - View All
MLB 14 The Show Videos
Member Comments
# 361 HustlinOwl @ 04/04/14 10:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkatk87
From what I saw there was nowhere in online franchise to set any rotations or lineups for either minor league club, I also simmed a season, 14 games cuz sims take forever, to see offseason and I didnt even see the playoff games appear on the schedule. I saw that some were played, I think. There wasn't one injury in the entire league and yes injuries were on. There was no playoff bracket and there were no more games listed as needed to be played. It was weird. Additionally, assuming these were played I saw no way to get to the offseason on any screen or any tab??? Anyone else see this?
Im assuming injuries occur in only played games, but cant confirm. Nothing worse than missing a schedule deadline and lose a key player for a significant amount of time because of a simmed game. It is faster to simulate games on the TSN webpage than it is in game because of uploading to the cloud/servers. http://theshownation.com/franchises/...andings/season

# 362 Mike Lowe @ 04/04/14 10:28 AM
I'll run a test tonight/this weekend.

What I'm wondering is whether or not we can create our own rollover roster for MLB '15 Online Franchise mode?

• We start with OSFM and keep an original file in-tact (for later use)
  • At season's end, each person takes screen grabs and/or creates an Excel sheet of their team ratings.
    • For established players, this is straightforward
    • For retired players, we just remove them or edit them to be a rookie, etc.
    • For generated players, rookies and so on, we will need to re-create the player from scratch for their likeliness, etc. The good news is that once these guys are created, they'll be part of the next rollover roster, so you'll still only need to create one year's worth of rookies (5 per team...not a big deal)
  • When each team is ready, we import each individual organization's roster(s) into one master roster the same way OSFM does
  • We create a new Online Franchise in MLB '15 and use this custom roster
Of course, SCEA could just make this a feature in MLB '15 for us

# 363 HustlinOwl @ 04/04/14 10:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lowe
I'll run a test tonight/this weekend.

What I'm wondering is whether or not we can create our own rollover roster for MLB '15 Online Franchise mode?

• We start with OSFM and keep an original file in-tact (for later use)
  • At season's end, each person takes screen grabs and/or creates an Excel sheet of their team ratings.
    • For established players, this is straightforward
    • For retired players, we just remove them or edit them to be a rookie, etc.
    • For generated players, rookies and so on, we will need to re-create the player from scratch for their likeliness, etc. The good news is that once these guys are created, they'll be part of the next rollover roster, so you'll still only need to create one year's worth of rookies (5 per team...not a big deal).
  • When each team is ready, we import each individual organization's roster(s) into one master roster the same way OSFM does.
  • We create a new Online Franchise in MLB '15 and use this custom roster
Of course, SCEA could just make this a feature in MLB '15 for us
Of course, this is nothing more than a custom roster which is allowed in online franchises

# 364 blkatk87 @ 04/04/14 10:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HustlinOwl
Im assuming injuries occur in only played games, but cant confirm. Nothing worse than missing a schedule deadline and lose a key player for a significant amount of time because of a simmed game. It is faster to simulate games on the TSN webpage than it is in game because of uploading to the cloud/servers. http://theshownation.com/franchises/...andings/season
That could actually be it. Be nice if so, cuz the sim injury thing does suck. But it would mean cpu vs cpu would never incur injuries which isnt fair

# 365 HustlinOwl @ 04/04/14 10:38 AM
Quote:
That could actually be it. Be nice if so, cuz the sim injury thing does suck.
IDK, try adjusting injury sliders to 10 for a few simulations and test??

# 366 blkatk87 @ 04/04/14 10:48 AM
Quote:
IDK, try adjusting injury sliders to 10 for a few simulations and test??
Good idea. Will try that today.

# 367 blkatk87 @ 04/04/14 10:52 AM
And why does simming take so long? My goodness it took like 3 hours to sim a 14 game season. There is no global "sim league" option. From what I saw you have to go into each teams calendar and indiv go to the day you want to sim it to and click it so it ques it for simming. Then it painstakingly goes from from one game to the next. Most other online sports leagues it takes like 5 min. I guess if you want to do a true 162 game season with some sims mixed in you are going to have to just set it to sim and walk away for half the day.

# 368 HustlinOwl @ 04/04/14 10:58 AM
Quote:
And why does simming take so long? My goodness it took like 3 hours to sim a 14 game season. There is no global "sim league" option. From what I saw you have to go into each teams calendar and indiv go to the day you want to sim it to and click it so it ques it for simming. Then it painstakingly goes from from one game to the next. Most other online sports leagues it takes like 5 min. I guess if you want to do a true 162 game season with some sims mixed in you are going to have to just set it to sim and walk away for half the day.
My guess is youre uploading sim results to cloud/servers and again a lot faster at least for 13 to do on the TSN website

# 369 blkatk87 @ 04/04/14 11:06 AM
Quote:
My guess is youre uploading sim results to cloud/servers and again a lot faster at least for 13 to do on the TSN website
From my understanding I thought TSN's option was just to "resolve" games which don't accrue stats. Although i could be wrong, I just heard that.

# 370 HustlinOwl @ 04/04/14 11:09 AM
Quote:
From my understanding I thought TSN's option was just to "resolve" games which don't accrue stats. Although i could be wrong, I just heard that.
13 you could resolve games, sim games, reset games, and remove users

# 371 blkatk87 @ 04/04/14 02:01 PM
Quote:
13 you could resolve games, sim games, reset games, and remove users
Ya the only thing I am seeing is the ability to reset so far. Anyone else try to simulate a season to find the playoffs and offseason are nowhere to be found?

# 372 HustlinOwl @ 04/04/14 02:13 PM
Quote:
Ya the only thing I am seeing is the ability to reset so far. Anyone else try to simulate a season to find the playoffs and offseason are nowhere to be found?
You have days per series at 7, think it must be at 1 in order for commish to simulate

http://theshownation.com/franchise/11487/settings

# 373 blkatk87 @ 04/04/14 08:36 PM
Quote:
You have days per series at 7, think it must be at 1 in order for commish to simulate

http://theshownation.com/franchise/11487/settings
Nah, I have it set to manual, those days are only offered if you do auto adv. There is no days set. So I simmed the whole reg season now the league is just sitting there.

# 374 HustlinOwl @ 04/04/14 09:01 PM
Quote:
Nah, I have it set to manual, those days are only offered if you do auto adv. There is no days set. So I simmed the whole reg season now the league is just sitting there.
so did you simulate via web or in game?

# 375 Mike Lowe @ 04/04/14 09:15 PM
Where on earth do you simulate from? I can't find it from the website.

Also, in choosing a "series (manual)" schedule with 4 days, it's listing me as a Flex league. I guess that's true...but, is it right or a bug?

Anyone else notice the schedule starts on Friday instead of Monday?

# 376 HustlinOwl @ 04/04/14 09:18 PM
Quote:
Where on earth do you simulate from? I can't find it from the website.

Also, in choosing a "series (manual)" schedule with 4 days, it's listing me as a Flex league. I guess that's true...but, is it right or a bug?

Anyone else notice the schedule starts on Friday instead of Monday?
can you not click on any teams schedule and simulate? Sorry no PS3 version even though readily available via Redbox just fighting urge to hold out for PS4

# 377 Mike Lowe @ 04/04/14 09:24 PM
You'd think, but it just keeps telling me I can't advance the series because there are unresolved games.

I'm the only team in this test one lol. I can't do anything but "practice vs AI" my first opponent, which is a cool feature...

# 378 HustlinOwl @ 04/04/14 09:44 PM
Quote:
You'd think, but it just keeps telling me I can't advance the series because there are unresolved games.

I'm the only team in this test one lol. I can't do anything but "practice vs AI" my first opponent, which is a cool feature...
lol again so hard without having the game and being able to actually see the inner workings. What was the trade offer? http://theshownation.com/franchise/13483/events

# 379 HustlinOwl @ 04/05/14 02:12 AM
word is fatigue was turned off for open schedule?? Hopefully we can get a confirmation if true?

# 380 blkatk87 @ 04/05/14 08:52 AM
The only way i saw to sim was to go to each teams calendar and indiv pick the day to wanted to sim to and click the option to sim here. You have to do this for every team. It took almost three hours to sim a 14 game season. Thats crazy. Then as I stated prior there is no prompt for playoffs or anything. On offline when the season ends the playoff games appeared on the calendar for those teams that made it and had an opponent. So lost.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.